Be a Supporter!

Santana High School, Santee, CA

  • 9,702 Views
  • 159 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Pope-Ender-II
Pope-Ender-II
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 21:35:43 Reply

I live in a very small town, and as you would expect, people are devastated by this kind of thing. We have had our share of bomb threats and people talking about shooting up the school, but we are 'safe.' In my opinion, the teasing is the problem. Back in the day, when people could just duke out their problems and get it over with, things like this didn't happen with such frequency. Sure, maybe a disturbed person would go on a rampage every now and then, but that could simply be dismissed as mental disorder. The problem, in my opinion, is that kids are forced to bottle their emotions and frustration instead of getting it out in a few swings. Hell, kids can't even call each other a name anymore without fear of ISS or expulsion. Basically, two systems are clashing. Children are expected to make good grades and act like adults in school, but they aren't allowed to release their anger in any way, shape, or form. The people who came up with these two wonderful standards are idiots. You can't expect people to be perfect all the time. When the favored children get wind of an outcast or someone different they continue to ostracize that person beyond that person's limit. Yet, people expect this person to take it, swallow it down, and forget about it in the morning. Fuck, let the kids duke it out every now and then. If someone gets a nose busted, either they found new respect for eachother, or they learn to stay the fuck away. Educational Instututes may find this to be a liability, but in all reality, you are creating a greater liability and a larger risk factor by allowing them to bottle their emotions. How do they think a sociopath gets started? You can't disect it all into biological terms. The white middle class has it harder than you think, and someone needs to take notice and revise the rules a little. Don't get a kid in trouble for assault, because he is indirrectly preventing possible mass murder.

iceman298
iceman298
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 22:25:31 Reply

HDSDFS

Nocturne
Nocturne
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 23:02:30 Reply

True it's very sad that this happens, it should never happen ever. and now they're looking for a motive, instead of thinking about how they can prevent this from happening again. Maybe if guns weren't so readily available they could cut down on a lot of this shit going on, I don't come from the US but from the UK and when i was over here i was shocked to see them selling guns down the local Wal-Mart you can imagine it

customer "Umm where's the milk"
Staff "Third isle right next to the handguns"

I mean what the fuck is happening, the worse thing is they kept them right next to the childrens toy rows. But you don't hear them cry good god this is the xth time this has happened why don't we tighten the laws, but no it'll be oh lets blame...

(Bets on)
Eminem 2/1
Marilyn Manson 4/1
Cradle Of Filth 10/1
The Backstreet Boys (ok maybe not)

But you never hear of this going on in other countries, no teenager has even gone and shot up his school in England and as fa as i know i haven't heard of it happening in another country. Maybe it's time to place the blame on the perpetrator and the gun culture instead of blaming unrelated incidents so that so that Mr.X can hang onto his six shooter in case America gets invaded (Yeah fuck right). But I'm sure this has already been pointed out in nearly every other post today :)

Nocturne
Nocturne
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 23:08:10 Reply


...so if his father owned a propane refilling station, would we ban propane?

And when does the tool of destruction suddenly become the evil instead of the person who is using it?

This just seems like a stupid thing to say, Guns have no other use than to kill and maim people, correct me if i'm wrong can they do anything else. True you can use propane to torch someone but you can also use it for lights, you can run someone over with your car but you can also use it to gt to work, you can stab someone to death with a knife but you can also use self same knife to prepare dinner. But a gun has no other purpose than to blow someone's innards all over the nearest surface.

TheNewAuk-defiant
TheNewAuk-defiant
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 23:10:26 Reply

At 3/6/01 01:59 AM, TannerCenterwall wrote: I think sometimes people just snap. There may not be any real solution to end school shootings. Personally i don't see why there aren't metal detectors in every school across the country just like airports. I also don't think that the right to privacy should be violated either, so its really a tough situation

metal detectors!?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?!

Nocturne
Nocturne
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 23:54:42 Reply

Something just occured to me that was strange, after just hearing the song "Lunchbox" by Marilyn Manson it reminded me of how they tried to ban metal lunchboxes somewhere in America i think it's florida (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here). It's just seems darkly amusing metal lunchboxes "NO" guns "YES" think about it, stupid isn't it

Hoffa23
Hoffa23
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 00:24:55 Reply

Ok. This is a long post...

I'm going to start this post off with a story from my 7th grade years.
in 7th grade the first time, I was the smart kid, put in "logo" classes ( |> < - - - Remember the 'turtle' ??? ) and accelerated science programs and the like, and could therefore give 2 shits about gym class, or impressing chicks, or acting fake. Because of this I was singled out as a threat or an easy target. During this stint, I was pushed and slid down 100 foot long halls with the only thing that stopped my accelleration down the freshly polished floor was the wall at the other end of the hall. I rememeber being in so much anguish I would try to cry and scream, but it seemed so emotionally painful my vocal cords couldn't make a terrifying enough sound to express my feelings; so nothing but a crackly gasp would come out. I was called a spaz, spat on, had balls thrown at me, and just generally shunned by everone, staff and student alike. In addition to this, my home was falling apart, as my parents were in the middle of a divorce. It seemed at most times when I was in school all I would feel would be either intense fear, distrust and hatred. No one cared. Thoughts of murder? Youbetcha. I distictly remember one time in leatherworking shop where a fat little shit called me a fag or something and I went after him in a fit of rage with a leather mallet screaming "I'm going to fucking kill you!"

. . . And "60 minutes" is looking for answers?!?!?!
The problem is you and me and the answer was there all the time. Stop hating. Teach universal acceptance and open self - expression before you teach multiplication tables and dodgeball.

<<<Thats the cheap and short way out of this post. If your attention span is gone by now you may leave, the rest of the post is just elaboation on that point....>>>>
Lets go back in our FDA time machine to a more primitive time, saaaaay slighty before the human race learned about the concept of the individual. The human race still obeyed the laws of nature. Homeostasis, natural selection, balanced genetic evolution, etc.
But then, WOW look! conciousness! Individuality! Medicne! Nuclear Weapons!
With this also came the forces like good and evil, god, God (not a typeo. . . little 'g' and big 'G' are 2 different concepts) philosophy, green pieces of paper and digital watches. For whatever reason I seem to percieve a split in this conciousness. Those who think freely, to create newer, greater concepts, and those that are still 'in the trees' mentally and just seek to please their 'ape' ego. This is why we have a herd mentality that supresses kids with the courage to think for themselves and causes these kids to get trapped and have thoughts of murder.

Long story short, I believe weak minds follow herd mentality and will do anything to supress individual freedom because it is easier. We were blessed with freedom the day the spark of conciousness fell apon humantiy yet the power structure in the world that creates evil and tyranny seeks to stabilize the patterns of this gift to maintain a status quo, which in turn makes these individuals at the top the new 'alphas' of the pack. A productive populace is a mentally comatose populace, as far as 'da man' is concerened. The less we think the more we work for them, or it, or whatever. This pattern of school violence is only earmarks of a decaying nation's decaying dominant culture. Every new generation of 'ape' conciousness dilutes itself a bit more, slowly regressing to the primitive and in an attempt to save itself, its flight or fight anything that is different. The weak minded have been so nieve for so many generations, not only have most people forgotten how to love, they've given up the gift of conciousness and percive it as a threat. This must be some kind of subconcious choice for the most part as true perception would be having an independant thought, and we can't have that now, can we? <sarcasm>
Murder in our schools? considering the circumstances, its probably what has to happen. Nature doesn't care about individuals or right and wrong. Conciousness seems to give nature a run for its money, but when things stay so terribly wrong for so terribly long, nature WILL act. Perhaps its finally starting to. The problems gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better. The only true answer to this problem is within all of us, yet it will never make a difference until we all truly live as indviduals, and the only way to do that is by finding the best way to live for others. Replace ignorance with hope, dogma with solitude, and possesions with freedom.

Santana High School, Santee, CA

KiddieGrinder
KiddieGrinder
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 01:17:45 Reply

I'm glad that young man could express himself in such a free way. Violence is great. So did he kill himself? If he didnt, he's stupid.

DumbWizard
DumbWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 01:34:56 Reply

Ok, I'm pissed. There are some of you pansy liberals out there telling everyone its bad to have guns, and using recent events to support your case. First of all, guns DON'T GODDAMN KILL PEOPLE. A GUN NEVER LOADED ITSELF, AND GUNS DON'T ARBITRARILY DISCHARGE. Now that I've made that explicitly clear, let's explain why Americans were given the right to have guns, and there's a lot more to it than people think. The right to bear arms was granted Americans to allow them to hunt for food and to protect themselves. The first part is self-explanatory. Guns, in capable hands, are very efficient at hunting game for food. The second part is a litle less self-explanatory. When people think of using guns for safety, most think of protection against street thugs, etc. However, the right to bear arms was given so that, in time of need, an armed populace could form militias to protect the nation from invaders, or from tyrannical government. It is this last point that is most overlooked. Having an armed populace is a serious deterrent to any would-be powermongers seeking an coup d'etat. If you were a "soldier" in this powermonger's army, would you be wondering if the owner of the house you were about to illegally raid was up and waiting, with both barrels of his 12 gauge pointed at the door? I'm sure most people would be hesitant to barge in, especially the bully-cowards that usually follow the warmonger types. If you make laws against owning guns, what will happen? All law-abiding citizens will turn in their guns, and then who'll be the only groups left with guns? Criminals and government- the two entities the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is designed to protect us against. There's a reason why this right is second on the list, because the founding fathers of this great country REALIZED IT WAS IMPORTANT. Also, if you take away guns, people will just use whatever else becomes handy to kill each other. Are we then to eliminate anything that can possibly stab, rend, maim, dismember, or bludgeon another person? My god, we'd have to cut off our own limbs with that stupid logic!

Now, for those of you fence-straddling moderates (a term for too pussy to pick a side and piss someone off) and liberals that want to create more gun-restriction laws, I say you're cracked in the head, too. We have hundreds of gun-control laws all over the U.S. at all levels. The only thing those laws do is make it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain guns to protect themselves. True, it does also hamper criminals to some degree, but the really dangerous criminals can get access to firearms through the black market anyway. Further, anyone can search the internet to find instructions on how to make a rudimentary firearm. As to locks, and gun lockers, I think those are great deterrents and hopefully can give a parent enough time to catch their child before they defeat these security measures (as we all know they will- see childproof pill bottles). Conversely, these same devices that slow down children from getting to guns, also can slow down a person from getting a gun to protect him/herself in a situation where that person really needs it. Don't even talk about gun registration, because that is just an excuse to learn who the gun owners are so they can be targeted at a later date for confiscation if and when guns become illegal.

Now that I've ranted on bad ideas, I'll get to the solution. The solution is funding and enforcement. Law enforcement agencies need more funding and authority to enfore the existing laws. Put more officers on the street to allow for faster response times, and greater number of responses. Allow police officers to enforce gun control laws by limiting these laws to the most applicable and most enforceable. Don't demonstrate an overabundance of sympathy for perpetrators; save it for the victims. Having a bad childhood or whatever does NOT set people on an automatic, irreversible, unavoidable, inevitable, etc. path to murder. Put these people away for a long, long time. Last, don't be afraid of guns. This will get you in trouble really quick. Learn gun safetly and responsible firearms use. Don't just take your kid out to a firing range or hunting ground without THOROUGHLY (not just once or twice, but as often as you can) indoctrinating your child in how to properly use firearms and what to NEVER, NEVER do.

pantera1982
pantera1982
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 01:43:46 Reply

I think that it is in a big part the parents falt, not to teach children to express themselves with violence. Instead I think that we shoud tell our children to respond in other ways like music. Another point I can think of is where the hell do they get the guns? Are these kids in gangs or, do the parents own a gun? There are many ways to teach children, at a young age not to resort to things such as violence. Your right "where are the parents"?

qpid
qpid
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 02:37:52 Reply

Go here: http://www.msnbc.com/news/297184.asp?bt=msn&;btu=http://go.msn.com/zzj/1/1.asp?target=http://msn.com&cp1=1
and you will know what I mean in this passage. SOME of it, I can agree with. They are still blaming the media, etc for condoning this. There was something in it to "watch out for": has little or no friends. Another thing was "violent music, movies" etc. They are STILL blaming it on the media as Iv'e said. It is so ridiculous to think that the media has anything to do with it. It may not say it directly..... read between the lines though and you will see what I am talking about.
In our busy day-to-day lives, we don't have "time" for one another anymore. Parents are using more and more day/nightcares to take care of us, to have others take more responsibility of us. Who's responsibility is it to see that their kids do not get hurt? The parents! Lock up the guns, lock up anything that they can get ahold of. They make locks for guns (fits on the trigger so it cannot be fired off). The parents don't even think of doing that!
Another thing is... where do you think guns come from? From the parents that buy them? Its more than that. The "parent" generation can give access to guns to minors. The parent generation is where the guns come from, because minors cant get them, they NEED someone older. Doesnt matter how far down the line it came from (gun shop - parent generation - minor), its still the parent generations fault.
They say they cannot ban guns because in the US Constitution (or whatever the hell it is), it says we have the RIGHT to bear arms. Just as we do with having the right for freedom of speech. The goverment says the cannot change this. That is total BS. Think when it was made.....lots of wars, noone knew jackshit about anything, blacks became slaves, etc etc ETC! What they dont realize is that it CAN be changed. The right to bear arms is a dangerous aspect. Arms, is not a piece of human geneology, such as the right for a fair trial, or the right for freedom of speech. Arms, is man-made technological BS! Sure, it made our games better, same with movies etc....thats all good though. Think how safe it would be without no REAL guns. Fake guns (video games etc) is ok...... real guns is the problem. Seems like we have the freedom and right to bare......... a microwave, or Statue of Liberty. A piece of metal technological............crap.
Theres ways around that "the right" shit. Think of this... you can take that out the right to bare arms part, and put.... no other section will EVER be changed again! Thats what ther worried about... if you can change that... then you can change anything in that. The freedom of speech perhaps? Nah! I just mentioned a way to do it and its a few lines up. Media, constitution, destrucion, madness, chaos, in/sanity, will always reign our glorified days of this fucked up........ earth that we call......home!

(if u cant understand this cus a bunch of mistakes.... its cus im half asleep...... but i think muchhh clearer when i am)

Santana High School, Santee, CA

mcstevens
mcstevens
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 03:32:32 Reply

I have read through the discussions of this most unfortunate event. How dare people blame guns or the other assorted outside media/net/etc. It is parenting issue. Educate your children not to be pussies and to grow some balls so they do not resort to drastic measure. Or hey what the fuck try and talk to them once in a while. That is it cut and dry poor parenting as far as guiding them through their "hardships". Fucking being teased cause you are skinny gimme a break. Take a look at some real cases of misfortune or hardship. Chechen survivors of the war, people who have had to deal with real shit. America is no longer the big man with some guts anymore. By the time I old and dead the kids will cry if you cut their damn sandwich the wrong way. Sorry to rant and rave,but too many misguided people.

tigerthumb
tigerthumb
  • Member since: Sep. 13, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 05:42:10 Reply

At 3/6/01 01:23 AM, Ross wrote: The details are different, but the outcome is the same: it happened again.

On Monday morning, a 15-year-old 9th-grader in Southern California opened fire with a .22 revolver, killing two people and injuring 13. Inevitably, comparisons to Columbine are made, and people cry, scratch their heads, and ask, "How could this have happened?"

But should we be surprised? Doesn't everyone in high school know someone who gets picked on and teased until he or she feels they have to strike back? Haven't we learned anything from the school shootings that preceded yesterday's tragedy? But what is there to learn? Is a school shooting a freak occurrence, or is it indicative of a greater trend? And what about the standard question - "where were the parents?"

There are problems in our society, and incidents like this put the spotlight on some very big ones. So what do we do? Investigate any student who ever expresses ill will towards their teachers and/or schoolmates? Beef up security at the schools? More closely monitor the mental health of the students? What do you say to someone who might seriously be considering violence as a release?

I don't ask these questions because of my affiliation with NG - I ask them as a future parent and a future teacher who knows that something here is very wrong. The solution, if there is one, is light-years away - but each opinion that is expressed gets us a little bit closer.

Click here to read what others are saying on our BBS. What do you think?
Alocoholenhanced
Alocoholenhanced
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 05:45:48 Reply

Guns dont kill people. Whoever pulls the trigger is.
Obviously the kid is fucked up thanks in part to the parents. Im from canada and guns are impossible to get, but they are not the problem. These people need some goddamn self-control. If your gonna kill people for makin fun of you, you're gonna need a SHITLOAD of ammo for real life son.

liasta
liasta
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 08:38:28 Reply

This is going to be long winded, you may as well just skip it.

As a 15 year old 9th grader myself (Or atleast the equivalent), and rather the outcast, I find myself increasingly frusterated at the current turn of events. Mostly because of my own experience in school. It wasn't much of a big deal, really, but...it symbolised something to me, almost.

I was starting a new school for the 7th time. Not because I got in trouble, or was violent, or anything of the sort. I found myself submerged in this new environment, with new people. I was terrified. On the fourth day I began to have an anxiety attack so severe I had to stop and catch my breath, focus my state of mind, so severe I was considering just bolting off campus.

Rather than realize that I knew what was going on, the principal became concerned for my mental health. I just needed a breather, I had had anxiety attacks previously many times, but instead of allowing me to relax she dragged me to the counselor. 10 minutes into the counselling she walked in, the principal, and berated me infront of the woman, screaming at me, telling me that I was trying to manipulate everyone into letting me stay home. I was in tears, though I hated it. I was forced to go infront of that classroom door, but I refused to go in. I tried to leave the hall thinking I had the right--I'm a PERSON, aren't I? But I was restrained.

Classmates came out to gawk at me at the principal's request ("If you're not going to go out to them, they'll come out to you"). An ultimatum was issued, but I couldn't back down at that point. The police were called. Three of them came. I was sobbing, literally, before they came but when they did a calm filled me. It was like I realized that it was over, ending, I didn't have to stay in school.

I was forced to go to the psychiatric ward, though. The emergency psychiatric ward. I was lumped in with a woman who couldn't stop praying, who was throwing herself on her knees to praise God even as she called her child to tell him she couldn't pick him up at school. With a disoriented old lady who couldn't seem to understand any instruction and wandered aimlessly. Three psychiatrists poked and prodded at me for four hours before I could leave. I didn't mind at that point. This wall came over me, a barrier from the external world, and everything seemed... calm and cold.

After it all, they, the school, wouldn't even allow me my homework, as if it might send me into a homicidal rage. The kids at my school emailed me telling me things like "It's not your fault, I heard we all turn out how we were raised."

I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is that... The uproar this has all created, everything, the massacres, the killings... The fear might be well founded, and yes people must want to keep their children safe. But for Godsake don't overreact. Don't mistrust me because I'm a teenager. Don't think because someone is a certain age that they're lying to you. That they are completely irrational. That they might flip out and go on a massacre. I was always quiet. But I wasn't hiding anything. I was always a loner. But I'm not a liar. I never liked crowds. But I'm not going to slaughter them.

*sighs* That was all far too serious, I apologize, but it's 3:30 AM and I'm bored.

Epic
Epic
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 10:29:31 Reply

This maniac has no clue what I have been threw...
Some examples..

POWERBOMBED off a roof threw 5 REAL TABLES

GASHED in the head with a baseball bat wraped with barbed wire. 19 stiches.

ECT!

But you don't see me coming up and blasting everyone who did it to me.

--Eric

computerimpaired
computerimpaired
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 12:01:11 Reply

This is my first time posting on here but I had to say something....We are blaming everything from the media to music for this but the real reason isn't hardly being addressed. It comes down to accountability. We are being taught that you won't be held accountable for your actions as long as you can justify it. Justifiable homicide??? People kill people all the time and then don't even go to jail because they can justify it in some way. All this says to me is that I can do anything I want as long as I have so sob story to tell people and I'll get away with it. I've been made fun of too. Probably not as bad as this person had to deal with, but it's happened to me too. I may have thought of hurting those that were making me feel like shit but I didn't because taking a human life is wrong.....no matter what the circumstances. Let's stop blaming games and the internet and movies when the blame needs to go to the one pulling the trigger. The games didn't make him kill people. The music didn't make him kill people. He pulled the trigger.

MildManneredManiac
MildManneredManiac
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 12:53:13 Reply

Violent games and movies help people. It's like beating the shit out of a pillow when you are pissed. You are relieved the urge to kill and no one gets hurt. When you're feeling shitty, go blow off the head of a cartoon Justin Timberlake instead of grabbing a revolver and killing the next that moves. If all these psychotic parents take away the made-up violence in our lives, the destructive desires will be bottled up like a shakened can of soda. People will become veritable bombs. But it's not like I'm 100% against this. All this stuff is influential to dumb ass kids. We know it's fake, they might not. Still, I root on the side of Newgrounds and MAKE-BELIEVE violence.
I have wasted your time-
M.F.

Olpainless
Olpainless
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 13:01:42 Reply

I believe the blame is in many corners.

Blame 1.

The assholes who treated him like shit are the trigger for this. People like jock's, who don't really know what cool is, but try to define it themselves, pick on some guy because he's different.
If this was a race problem, or a sexist problem, the news would be in uproar - but it isn't.
The thing is though, although people see it, it is still an ism... popularism.
I know what the guy's been through, i'm pretty much the outcast in my school, and i have a lot of trouble. The thing is, my school is that obsessed about sport and the likes, they just do not give a fucking damn. the people that do it the worst are obviously bringing all the trophies in, so they won't do anything... even though they know what's happening.
The people who do this don't even know that to be cool is not to be a fucking sheep and do what everyone else does... my mates, and I do have a lot, KNOW that just makes you the biggest loser.
It's cool to be you.

Unfortunately, all these assholes feel that because he's different, they should diss the guy. And after years of torment like that, even the most stable of people can snap... but I still bet the people who drove him to this, the jocks, the prom queens, the smokers, the 'I-had-a-threesome-at-12'ers, will never have 1 bad word said to them. When in all respect, they should have been kicked out long ago.

Maybe if the guy's problems (the people, that is) had been dealt with, the shooting wouldnt have happened.

And one guy, who probably had a much more promising life than those who tormented, even those he killed, will go to death row for certain because of it, because problem 2 needs a scapegoat to survive.

Problem 2 - The Media, the Companies, The Influences.

This is the greatest problem in the world. It influences, it insinuates, it mutates.

The media defines what is cool, what is right and wrong, when themselves are merely doing this for
money.

Eg...
Right... our new adidas things are $100? Very good... Now, we have to make sure people think these as cool, when in fact they are just low-quality overpriced shit. Who CARES about those who can't afford this?

See what this means?

Then, the media portrays everything that blame 1 does as cool, and it gives them an excuse to attack.

Conclusion

Some of you call the guy mental and all that... but you never see the trigger. And i don't mean the gun trigger either... i mean the underlying causes for this shooting. I don't feel those people deserved to die for their actions... but they did deserve to be punished, and therefore the guy took things into his own hands.

And you know what else? After this, and Columbine, the people picked on are going to be getting it even worse due to it...Due to those who cannot accept that people can be different... and due to the warping effects of the world media...
How long before the next shooting?

ZaphodAlioth
ZaphodAlioth
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 13:31:47 Reply

I'm sure that everyone agrees that this was a great tragedy. No ones life should be wasted in such a careless way. But, what is more tragic? The fact that this happened or the fact that it continues to happen? In this case and in some of the others there were definite warning signs. They were ignored by several people. Another question that we should ask ourselves is where the root of this problem is. The kid involved "bragged" to severalpeople that he was going to commit this act. Everyone around him dismissed it as a joke. They didn't believe him. Some of his friends were still a bit worried about his actions,They even searched him before he arrived at school. If they felt that they needed to search him, why didn't they tell anyone about him? The bottom line is, If someone makes statements about harming other people it needs to be looked into. The "no-tolerance"
policy at schools is a very good one. They need to act like every threat is a real one. This does not mean that they need to punish every student for every stupid phrase that they say, but staff and students alike need to realize that there is a definite consequence to what someone says.
Let's be realistic about these situations, we can't blame it on one thing or person. There are many
variables involved here. Just as there were in all of the other shootings. Some of the answers that
people bring up are just not feasible. Getting rid of gun is a good example of this. If guns were
outlawed today, you would never be able to collect all of them off the streets. Even if you were able
to get every registered gun off the streets, It's the unregistered ones that we need to be worried about.
This country is too saturated with them. If someone wants to kill someone they will. Look at the Uni-bomber. He used packaged bombs to kill people. The bombs were manufactured completely by him. He made everything by hand. Even the screws. Also, obtaining a handgun illegally is not hard. And although I haven't tried, I would bet that the Internet would make the task even easier
Although, it is true. Having easy access to a gun may give someone the confidence that they need to commit
a crime like this. That is why it is so important for gun owners to be aware of where their guns are and who
has access to them. A gun owner should not allow unsupervised access to their weapons. Even if the person is an adult. And children should not be allowed to possess firearms of any kind. Why can you buy a gun
when you are 18, but can't drink until you are 21?
Another good question is, why is this kid being picked on everyday? This is also an area that is not
looked into often enough. This is what is said to initially cause problems like this, but still kids
continue to pick on others. It's not a joking matter. If people know that someone is being picked on
everyday then why isn't something done about it? Faculty need to take action against anyone who is caught bullying another student. Another question is where are the kids that stick up for the weak kids today? I was a nerd earlier in junior-high/high school. I was picked on by several kids. However, during the latter years I was not the kind of kid that was picked on. In fact, I made it a point to
bother the kids that did the bullying. I remember several occasions where I yanked bullies off of kids that they were harrassing. This does not mean that I am condoning what this kid did to retaliate. I am mearly saying that this is part of the problem.
I think that America needs to take the time to analyze the situation. It is very easy to make harse judgements about this case because it angers and possibly scares many of us. We should not jump to conclusions. George W. Bush made a statement about this problem. In the statement he said something about the kid being a coward. This sounds just like a statement that is made in anger. To me, this kid seems like someone who was tired of being pushed around. He felt cornered. He felt that he needed to stop what was happening to him. And, unfortunetly, this was the only way he could figure out to do it. I think that is sad. Judging this kid for what he has done will happen in time. All of us need to figure out Why he did it and What we can do to prevent it. This is something that is happening over and over in our society. Have we taken any actions to prevent it? It seems that the actions are taken at the wrong places. It seems that the administrators at schools were these incidents occur take the steps to stop it from happening again, but we need to prevent it at all schools.

These, of course, are just my thoughts.

metal-goddess
metal-goddess
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 15:45:50 Reply

I'm so fed up with all of these bleeding hearts who think that it's such a tragedy that this shit happens. Don't get me wrong... stuff like that shouldn't happen, but it's not all the shooter's fault. And it's not caused by the music they listen to, or the books they read, or the games that they played. It's how the other people treated them that matters in the end. We don't need to be beefing up security... we need to make schools less populated so we're not all in each other's faces all the time. That's it- I'm out.

Arukus
Arukus
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 15:51:43 Reply

With every school shooting, it freaks me out more and more. I'm going to one of the most crowded high schools in the country next year, and am not really looking forward to it anymore. I don't believe people should own guns, but before any of this violence stops, peoples hearts have to change. We must start caring about others if we are to get anywhere in society.

FatLarry
FatLarry
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 16:21:27 Reply

Doesn't anyone understand these people?
From what I've read in the English news, he was the most picked on person in the school. I'VE BEEN THERE! And don't think I haven't thought about (even fantasised) about killing my tormenters, and I only held back because of my extreme sense of compassion.
I feel for this person, and I know what he had been going through. It may sounds a bit over the top, but I agree with what he did, and I think he was... not right, because violence isn't, but not really wrong either.
I read numerous comments from people who bullied him who said they were 'just making fun' of him. However, 'making fun' 24-7 can really screw someone up, and they feel they desever revenge for all those years. If you ballanced it up, you might find that they were right.

phatmatt-jonny
phatmatt-jonny
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 16:23:51 Reply

At 3/6/01 04:56 PM, phatmatt_jonny wrote: I am sick of school shootings. Yes they are a "trend," yes they it is (very often) the fault of non-caring parents, and yes they will become more common.

MORE COMMON? Yep, that's what I said. Let's look at it. The early shootings started out fairly organized and well planned (Columbine being the most). This new one in California seemed MUCH less planned. The kid used a single weapon of poor choice for the "task" (in my opinion). He also fired into the bathroom stall. I think that this kid saw the other school shootings, toyed with the idea, and was just pushed too far one day.

The sad truth is that people blame everything (games, music, websites) except for the murderer. People need to get thier head out of their asses.

ANOTHER SHOOTING! Today there was another shooting at a catholic school in Pennsylvania. One day later and it happens again. What did I say? It IS a trend, and a hard one too stop. What the hell is wrong with the world?

FatLarry
FatLarry
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 16:24:29 Reply

At 3/6/01 03:54 AM, Ravanos wrote:
I was just watching the newscasts on it and they said this kid's father had a bunch of guns. So I'll have to disagree with you.
...so if his father owned a propane refilling station, would we ban propane?

And when does the tool of destruction suddenly become the evil instead of the person who is using it?

So, when did this kid become evil?

Malachi01
Malachi01
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 16:33:40 Reply

Every time something scary happens to us the world becomes more of a prison. I hear everyone saying to take away guns, put more security in school.
I think that guns should be better regulated and schools should have good security but the fact of the matter is this will quickly snow ball like MCarthy. Before you know it strip searches will be the status quo.
If we really want to stop these shootings we have to stop seeing the world as an evil place always on the verge of destroying us. We can't make our own prisons.

In conclusion, if we really want to stop these shootings we need to find these troubled kids and help them. Not rant about the evils of music, and guns, and point fingers AFTER the event happened but stop it before it happens. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. WE MUST ATTACK WITH LOVE, NOT AVENGE OURSELFS WITH HATE.

CaptainBob
CaptainBob
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 17:27:15 Reply

Gun control rant...
First of all, we American citizens do not have the right to bear arms, they have the privelage.
The Second Amendment, far from the Holy Grail the NRA purports it to be, is only for "a well-regulated state millitia." Rights, as the law goes, are only those in the Constitution and the amendments. There is no law that says "you can bear arms, cause God said so". The Supreme Court has never struck down gun control laws on the basis of the Second Amendment. I have personaly read about a case in the 30's where an Olkahoma law prevented the ownership of sawed-off shotguns. A man arrested under that law tried to challenge on the basis that his constitutional right were being violated. The Supreme Court struck that down, saying the Second Amendment does not deal with the private ownership of guns except pretaining to a state-regulated militia, and this man was not a member of one.

Guns make it easier for people to kill each other, espically the kids who are picked on. They are scared already, and will not resort to stabbing. They feel safe behind a gun, it empowers them. If they had the courage to kill people with a knife, they probaly would because it is much more horrific and would have much more psychological impact, which is generally what they're going for, sending out a message, like "Don't fuck with me!" If they did attack people with a knife, they would have to be much more couragous and probaly stupid, because people would be more apt to stop them. Me espically, if I saw someone going after people with a knife, I'd grab a chair or bat and beat his ass savagely.

Guns are a major problem in the U.S. Completely eliminating them will never happen, though, espically here. People sanctify guns for some damn reason. We do need guns for hunting, which helps regulate the animal population, espically where I live. But you don't need a fucking 9 mil to go hunting. Yeah, I'm going to bust a cap in that deer's ass. I personally think the NRA for the most part if retarded, hence the pic. This is definetly going to piss some people off. Some dumbass called me a "bleeding heart liberal" and this other crap and told me to read a book called More Guns = Less Violence. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Yeah, if only everyone had 20 guns, we would be just fine. Grandma walking down the street with a Uzi. Here Johhny, for your 3rd birthday, we got you a brand new sniper rifle! HA HA HA!
Anyway.....

Santana High School, Santee, CA


UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature
mcstevens
mcstevens
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 17:39:45 Reply

At 3/7/01 01:01 PM, Olpainless wrote: I believe the blame is in many corners.

Blame 1.

The assholes who treated him like shit are the trigger for this.

Umm you sound like an after school special. People will always be cruel and there will always be the "assholes" get over it. Learn to deal with them and hey what ever happened to the old fashioned fist fight, christ kick the crap outta the scumbag ripping on you. I mean violence is not the answer but sometimes you gotta act like an ape to get through to one. Also so what do you want to do about the assholes? boot them from school because they have had different lifestyles or different opinions?!?! You are like most of the "unique" culture youth, you say you want equality but what you want in reality is to be in their shoes and have their power and respect. I must agree though with one thing you said and that is be yourself. There is no better advice.


Problem 2 - The Media, the Companies, The Influences.

This is the greatest problem in the world. It influences, it insinuates, it mutates.

I hate the media as well but blaming them is taking responsibility off the individual who committed the crime. Just cause Carson Daily is acting like a latent homosexual and many kids pick up on this does not mean that it is forcing kids to do it. IF the kid/adult/slobbering retard decides to follow whose fault is that? oh ya it must be the medias...*laugh*

New conclusion
Stop blaming everything else. Take some responsibility for your actions. Oh they kids needed to be punished so let's let this little shit out in 5 years. No give him the death penalty or lock him up for life. Set an example. Violence in schools will not be tolerated.

This has been a dose of reality from the liberal bullshit taking place on this board.

Nocturne
Nocturne
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 19:06:55 Reply

Another point of this is look at all the publicity that happens when this happens, the perpetrator wether they're still alive or not takes on this celebrity status. Some of them live on beyond their lives, such as Jack the Ripper, Billie the Kid and Charles Manson (Ok he's still alive but look at his celebrity) they become famous for these acts of atrocity. Maybe if they weren't given all this attention from it there would be a reduction factor, maybe not but it may help. If you look at these school shootings now it's immediately compared to Coloumbine and pictures of Harris and Kleibald (if that's how it's spelt i don't really give a shit here) they became celebrities in their own right.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Do you Love your Guns?, "yeah", God?, "Yeah" Your Government?" - Marilyn Manson

Ninpo
Ninpo
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-07 20:17:21 Reply

Guns don't kill people, Monsters kill people
Don't believe in monsters?read a history book
your bound to find a few.

and if there is anyone to blame, its Bono from U2
because being the vessel of absolute power he should have prevented it, True?