Respond to this Topic
Ross
Ross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 01:23:35 Reply

The details are different, but the outcome is the same: it happened again.

On Monday morning, a 15-year-old 9th-grader in Southern California opened fire with a .22 revolver, killing two people and injuring 13. Inevitably, comparisons to Columbine are made, and people cry, scratch their heads, and ask, "How could this have happened?"

But should we be surprised? Doesn't everyone in high school know someone who gets picked on and teased until he or she feels they have to strike back? Haven't we learned anything from the school shootings that preceded yesterday's tragedy? But what is there to learn? Is a school shooting a freak occurrence, or is it indicative of a greater trend? And what about the standard question - "where were the parents?"

There are problems in our society, and incidents like this put the spotlight on some very big ones. So what do we do? Investigate any student who ever expresses ill will towards their teachers and/or schoolmates? Beef up security at the schools? More closely monitor the mental health of the students? What do you say to someone who might seriously be considering violence as a release?

I don't ask these questions because of my affiliation with NG - I ask them as a future parent and a future teacher who knows that something here is very wrong. The solution, if there is one, is light-years away - but each opinion that is expressed gets us a little bit closer.

Click here to read what others are saying on our BBS. What do you think?

Ross Snyder - PHP Juggler
If you find a problem on the website, send me a PM.

AntiTanner
AntiTanner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 01:59:47 Reply

I think sometimes people just snap. There may not be any real solution to end school shootings. Personally i don't see why there aren't metal detectors in every school across the country just like airports. I also don't think that the right to privacy should be violated either, so its really a tough situation.

Ravanos
Ravanos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 02:08:39 Reply

There will be finger pointing. There will be grandstanding. There will be moralizing, and prayers, and angry voices. There will be blame placed anywhere and everywhere-- the students, the teachers, and the school, the media and entertainment industries. There will be lawsuits, and inevitably an address by some government suit saying how tragic all of this was.

If only God had been with this child.

We should have seen this coming. He wears black and listens to that strange music.

If only we had censored these vile, filthy video games.

Let's face it... spilled milk. None of that really matters, and no one has the cajones to look at the specifics of the incident. The media will paint this with broad strokes in a single sweeping color.

The person to blame for this, ultimately, is the person who did the shooting-- and no one else. While it may be a parent's moral obligation to rear a child into functional adulthood, it's not society's fault individuals lean upon, prey upon, or fail to be someone else's confessor...

Personally, I feel merely dictating consequences isn't good enough. You can't instill morality without the reasoning behind it. Without that reasoning, all the preaching and counciling in the world won't prevent this from happening again.

Santana High School, Santee, CA

redfxdotnet
redfxdotnet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 02:13:12 Reply

This is obviosly NG's fault. The kid probably saw Pico and thought....

Seriously though. Yes, kids are always going to be picked on no matter what school you go to or what country you live in. I wouldn't blame video games or television for this though. It's a combination of many things. For one, this kid had pyschological problems and nothing was done about it. Two - if your child does something like this... %99.99999 percent of the time, you are a bad parent. Another problem is the easy access kids have to guns in the US, or anyone for that matter. I can tell you right now that the US minus guns would be 100 times better, but that will never happen, people want their guns. By my point is, how the hell do all these little kids get guns? I live in Canada, if I wanted a gun I wouldn't even know where to start looking. If I lived in the US I could probably just grab daddy's shotgun from the closet... but enough of that... I think I've made my point that Guns = Bad. I don't know what else to say... people just don't resect each other anymore. I can play Pico and have a good laugh, I'll even admit that the idea of shooting or killing people I know has popped into my head, but I sure as hell would never do it. You'd have to be insane. I'm gonna stop before I fill up the bbs.

Ravanos
Ravanos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 02:24:22 Reply

I don't think guns are the problem. They're only the tools. If someone wated to lash out violently, they could do so with a knife, or a gallon of gasoline, or a propane tank...

I must admit, I wish individuals would be more responsible with firearms, especially when dealing with children or teens who may find a way to access them...

redfxdotnet
redfxdotnet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 02:54:21 Reply

At 3/6/01 02:24 AM, Ravanos wrote: I don't think guns are the problem. They're only the tools. If someone wated to lash out violently, they could do so with a knife, or a gallon of gasoline, or a propane tank...

I was just watching the newscasts on it and they said this kid's father had a bunch of guns. So I'll have to disagree with you.

ColdAsh
ColdAsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 02:58:13 Reply

I don't know what to say. what is the high school shooting death toll up to now? 30, 35? These are damn
sad times when a kid getting picked on feels his only recourse is violence.It pisses me off that i have to grow up in this, if its not enough we have adults killing each other now I gotta watch my ass around schools.The more kids that snap and kill people, the harder it is for me to walk down the street. being a teenager myself and feeling the negitve way adults veiw us as people first hand, the last thing we need is some kid going ape shit and start killing his classmates.

Ravanos
Ravanos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 03:54:49 Reply

I was just watching the newscasts on it and they said this kid's father had a bunch of guns. So I'll have to disagree with you.

...so if his father owned a propane refilling station, would we ban propane?

And when does the tool of destruction suddenly become the evil instead of the person who is using it?

mizhi
mizhi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 04:07:19 Reply

At 3/6/01 02:54 AM, redfxdotnet wrote:
At 3/6/01 02:24 AM, Ravanos wrote: I don't think guns are the problem. They're only the tools. If someone wated to lash out violently, they could do so with a knife, or a gallon of gasoline, or a propane tank...

I'll have to disagree with you! My family has "lots of guns" but we've never even thought about killing a bunch of people. We were taught what guns are capable of. No, it's not guns. That is too simple. And it won't help, in places like Japan or the UK where private ownership of firearms is illegal, they still have problems with violence, including a Japanese student stabbing his teacher, and a gang rape by a bunch of kids. The answer is much more complicated that by just pointing the finger at one aspect.

At best, that's anecdotal evidence, and not very convincing either.

amoqe
amoqe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 06:28:09 Reply

The standard line wheeled out by those who believe in the right to own guns is 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'. That may be true, but the gun certainly helps. I don't think there would be as much trouble if this kid had run around his school shouting BANG! at people. But seriously, speaking as someone who lives in the UK where handgun ownership is illegal, guns are bad things. They may simply be tools, but their sole purpose is to kill. What ever way you look at it, whether they are used for self-defence or sport etc..., they are designed to kill. I really can't see any redeeming features in them. Its not as though guns are completely unnecessary, but a country where no private individual owns handguns is a safer country. Someone may be just as likely to mug me with a knife, but I would rather take my chances with a knife and then a gun. I can imagine that killing someone with a gun is a very impersonal thing compared with a knife. All you have to do is pull the trigger and they are gone. With a knife it is not so easy, it will be messy and you will have to confront the reality of what you are doing. So guns aren't just the same as other 'tools'. They make killing someone easy, it allows someone to distance themselves from what they were doing. Maybe if that kid had only been able to get hold of a hunting knife he would not have been able to do what he did; he would not have been able to escape the reality of what he was doing. Personally, I think it would be preferrable to legalise heroin over guns. I am sensitive to arguments of personal liberty, but people who invoke that argument don't seem to realise that they are invoking it on behalf of a cause that really is not worthy. Perhaps banning guns is not the answer, but then anyone who has any sense of social responsibility should find the idea of guns completely abhorrent.

Nathalie
Nathalie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 06:36:26 Reply

A gun can't kill someone without a person to pull the trigger, true - but a person can't shoot someone
without a gun. I live in New Zealand, which is admittedly a very small country, but kids get bullied and
picked on to incredibly cruel lengths here too, just like everywhere else. But we've had no high school
shootings, and I believe that's largely to do with the fact that we have very tight gun laws and it would
be extremely difficult for a fiftenn year old to get a gun, let alone get one to school. I realise I risk
sounding quite patronising here, but it should only be everybody's right to own a gun when you can
prove that everybody will only use on safely and responsibly. it'll take a very long time to make the
social changes neccessary to keep these kids from cracking. It'll take a lot less time to change some
gun laws.

REZN8
REZN8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 07:25:09 Reply

I would have to say there is no single factor that would eliminate such occasions. It's a combination of factors-poor parenting, easy access to weapons, visual/audio influences, drugs, etc. Laziness would probably fit in there somewhere. Whatever happened to beating the shit out of someone with your fists. Todays kids are a bunch of crazy pussies.

I wish it were as simple as comparing the 50's to today. Did kids in the 50's have guns? I'm sure some of them did. Did they use drugs? Yes. Poor parenting? Yes. Visual/audio influences to kill? Only the westerns come to mind. But we all know kids don't kill because people on TV kill. So why weren't there as many school shootings if any in the 50's? If you can answer that, then there's the solution.

Kain5246
Kain5246
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 08:22:48 Reply

It is unfortunate, yes. Sadly, the child will go down in his short-lived history described as nothing more than a mindless killing machine. The media will no longer consider him human. Of course, it's a shame that two students died, and that the gunner felt that killing was his only option. I just wish that people could realize that this is your standard teenage boy. Nothing special about him made him go on this rampage. So if one, as a parent, sees these occurences on the news, never think that it could "never happen" to your child. Hey, it doesn't matter how many people you kill, you're still a human being.

DJIPX
DJIPX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 08:42:07 Reply

I just became I father in November,
and this shit scares the hell out of me.
I live in Chicago and my H.S. was bad,
But now eveyones got a gun!

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 09:11:11 Reply

i think they should just fuck off and go talk to someone

paint-drop
paint-drop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 09:21:50 Reply

At 3/6/01 01:23 AM, Ross wrote: The details are different, but the outcome is the same: it happened again.

On Monday morning, a 15-year-old 9th-grader in Southern California opened fire with a .22 revolver, killing two people and injuring 13. Inevitably, comparisons to Columbine are made, and people cry, scratch their heads, and ask, "How could this have happened?"

But should we be surprised? Doesn't everyone in high school know someone who gets picked on and teased until he or she feels they have to strike back? Haven't we learned anything from the school shootings that preceded yesterday's tragedy? But what is there to learn? Is a school shooting a freak occurrence, or is it indicative of a greater trend? And what about the standard question - "where were the parents?"

There are problems in our society, and incidents like this put the spotlight on some very big ones. So what do we do? Investigate any student who ever expresses ill will towards their teachers and/or schoolmates? Beef up security at the schools? More closely monitor the mental health of the students? What do you say to someone who might seriously be considering violence as a release?

I don't ask these questions because of my affiliation with NG - I ask them as a future parent and a future teacher who knows that something here is very wrong. The solution, if there is one, is light-years away - but each opinion that is expressed gets us a little bit closer.

Partially his environments fault and his, I dont think a 15yr babe in the woods should take full responsibility of a shooting. The way we think, just like that kid, is formed but what we grab from people and things around us, or what we are given. Theres a lot of materialistic, illusionistic bulldong to choose from. I choose not to choose but will slide in just enough to grab a bag of sour patch kids.

cannibal518
cannibal518
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 09:45:27 Reply

At 3/6/01 02:13 AM, redfxdotnet wrote:

"Another problem is the easy access kids have to guns in the US, or anyone for that matter. I can tell you right now that the US minus guns would be 100 times better

I think I've made my point that Guns = Bad."

I think you are totally wrong on the aspect of guns being the problem...First of all the whole gun control issue in the US is the democrats back door way of stripping law abiding citizens of their right to own firearms...If they did this i tell you what, the criminals would still have them....So we would all be sitting ducks for criminals...they wouldn't think twice about breaking in if they knew you were unarmed...and i'm not about to put my trust in a police force that takes nearly 20 min to get to my area....On the topic of the school shootings...yes these are tragic but its not fair to place the blame on a gun, a certain type of music, or a video game....the answer is that these people are just insane....how do we solve this???? How knows....but banning things will not stop it..

Ishkur
Ishkur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 09:59:04 Reply

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind

The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
“God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!”

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, “Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me ’tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!”

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a snake!”

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
“What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain,” quoth he;
“ ‘Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!”

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: “E’en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!׆

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
“I see,” quoth he, “the Elephant
Is very like a rope!”

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

Moral:

So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

--John Godfrey Saxe

This poem is for anyone who thinks they know the real reason why that kid shot up his school. The allusion is clearly evident.

Ish.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:26:46 Reply

You all want to know what the problem is? First off, how long has school violence been around? Are we just more aware of it now, because of the media? How do we know that 100 years ago there wasn't school shootings? Or 200 years ago? Maybe there were more school shooting 200 years ago, but everyone was so spread out, and news traveled slow, it may have never been properly reported. Today, our schools are more crowded and populated than they have ever been! There are a SHIT LOAD of kids out there! A lot of schools have to deal with 30-40 or more kids in a singal class room! How can anyone have an identity in a situation like that? When I went to school I knew just about everyone. These days, you probably know a far less percentage of the kids in your school. So everyone is going to have a lot less respect for each other. Take a sporting event. Sure it's easy to beat the face in of a fan from the other team when you don't know him. So in these over crowded schools you have kids who don't know each other well, and don't give a shit about each other. So some poor kids are going to go to school in fear, maybe for their life. Plus, with more kids, that increases the chances of a school shooting actually happening. If a kid decideds he wants to kill someone, guns make this much easier. It's still hard to put all the blame on guns though. Like others have said, they could use a knife, a can of gasoline, or just about anything can be used as a weapon if you are willing to take someone's life. This is what people have to understand. If you want to KILL somebody, you don't care about the law or what will happen to you. So at that point it doesn't really matter if you use a gun, or a knife, the out come is the same. I still think we need better enoforcement of our existing gun laws. We have so many guns laws, but most aren't well enforced. I think we need to work harder to improve the schools, get more teachers, couselors. Make sure the kids don't become lost in the crowd. We need smaller classes, and maybe try to keep the kids in groups that stay together, so strong bonds can be formed. Kids should be encouraged to report those who they see being picked on. Like "I saw so and so picking on Johnny." and then something hopefully be done. I just think schools are getting out of control, and they need better supervision.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
JeffTheDamned
JeffTheDamned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:35:36 Reply

Believe it or not, I actually graduated from Santana last year, live right across the street. My brother, sister, girlfriend, and friends still go there. 2 of the kids that were shot hang out with my brother and friend, and I guess he was about 10 feet away from the bathroom before all hell broke loose. It's just weird...we had to do these projects on school violence after the Columbine thing, and now it's happening right at home. The school looks like a warzone right now. It's just something you'd never expect to happen at your school...

<deleted>
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:44:29 Reply

I agree totally, Ross! Those who make others feel unworthy of living are unworthy of living. If I were the one constantly being riticuled for whatever reason, I would have went crazy too. Think before you make fun of somebody. Think about how THEY feel. think about what it could cause. I say you should show everybody respect and kindness until they have proven themselves to be bad people, and thus deserve less. What do you guys think?

PBM
PBM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:50:30 Reply

I have to agree with the majority.
I feel the fault lies with the kid who pulled the trigger. No excuses.
I was picked on when i was in school..1st thru high school. I was NEVER popular, I had a kid spit in my face once just walking between classes. I got beat up for wearing parachute pant 2 years after they went out of style, the list goes on.
Even tho I WISHED that I could strike back at these people..I NEVER EVER, EVER took a gun to school and started blasting on folks. Granted, that was a long time ago when I was in school, but guns, knives and errr...propane tanks were just as accessible back then.
I hate to sound extremist, but I think the kid should be made an example of. Put him on Death Row with some of the Texas in mates and make him document his life in a diary, or have someone follow him day by day and make a video journal, all the way up until he gets put to death for his crime. Lets see how many MORE fucking school shootings we have. Were not being harsh enough on the youth anymore!! You cant even paddle kids in school. WTF?? If the parents wont discipline the children, then by god somebody ought to!!
Sure, we can all sit here and feel sorry for the poor kid thinking...man, isnt putting him to death a little over zealous?? NO!! Not even close. Stop for a minute and think of the 2 kids who are dead, think of the 13 who are in the hospital, think of the families who have to deal with the tragic loss of their children. I have a daughter that turns 3 on March 23rd, I'm scared shitless of sending her to school!! Who knows when some little punk is gonna get a wild hair up his/her ass and go on a shooting spree because someone called them a nerd, or "stole their skateboard"...WHAAA...cry me a fucking river. Our kids today are too damn sissified. And how come it seems to be the suburban white kids losing their fucking minds? Kids with friends and BMW's and Playstation 2's and 3 square meals a day??? I havent heard of one shooting incident so far where a minority has played a part in the killings. Whats the problem here?? Is there a rogue gene in the caucasion DNA that makes us go fucking crazy?? Is there a plot to take down the white man?? Or is it something deeper? Have we taken everything from every other nation and theres no one left to conquer but ourselves?? I honestly dont know, and will probably never know. I doubt any of us will.
So, the point I guess to this whole post is to say: There is NOTHING we can do about the killings. We have been killing for 1000's of years and will not stop. Its too deep in our roots, in our fathers roots, and granfathers roots, and so on. We are a savage race, plain and simple. Some can hide the savageness inside, and control the instinct to kill, but its how we have survived this long. Kill or be killed. Saying that love is the answer, and we need to talk more to our kids is a cop out. Sure, it will help, no doubt. It could make a big difference, but we as a race are too busy caught up in our own life to really, sincerely take the time to share someone elses troubles and dreams, even our own children.
Alot of you dont agree with me, which is cool, everyone has their opinions. I just want you to take a moment to look at our history, all the wars we have fought (and are still fighting) and the violence we have wrought thru out our reign of earth, and tell me that you honestly think we can repress all of that anger and need for destruction in a split second of time. Your kidding yourself if you think it can be done.
My advice; I have none. I dont have the answer to the question so many of us are seeking. As a human being, with heart and soul, I hope that people will finally wake up and try to live as one in peace, but as a realist, I will just stay to myself and hope that when the day comes, my bullet proof vest and riot gear I wore to work that day sees me holding my family after the massacre, instead riding in the ambulance on the way to the morgue zipped up in the black bag.
PBM
www.spunkbubble.net

Drakh
Drakh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:53:44 Reply

At 3/6/01 10:44 AM, NuKe929 wrote: I say you should show everybody respect and kindness until they have proven themselves to be bad people, and thus deserve less. What do you guys think?

I agree completely. Being one of those "freaks" who has worn black my entire high school career thus far, I've been branded everything under the book... and then some.

It's the people I admire, my teachers, my friends, etc. who are able to look beyond the clothing and see the real person underneath: An editor of his school paper, an outstanding attorney-award winner for his Mock Trial team, a member of National Honor Society, just to name a very few.

These school shootings remind us all that we should really think about the benefits of insults... versus the benefits of kindness.

After all, kids don't snap just because they think it's cool, or because they see a gun... kids snap because, in honesty, they're pissed off.

Drakh
http://move.to/warlock

CaptainBob
CaptainBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 10:56:55 Reply

This was inevitable. Several stories have been in the news recently, although buried in the papers, about how a stundent was discovered with a bunch of guns and pipe bombs planning to attack a school. One of these was a kid planning to attack a community college. WTF? A community college? That's just plain stupid. You're only there for two years and the atmosphere is completely different from high school. But eventually, someone was sneaky enough to pull this off. Guns sucks ass. The only reason we should have them is for hunting purposes, rifles and shotguns. People can get killed by those, too, like in Columbine, but it's much harder to conceal them. A security guard at the school's enterance would be much better than a damn metal detector. The high school I went to had 2 main buliding across the street from one another and my locker was in one and most of my classes were in the other building. I would have been late every damn time if I had to got through a metal detector, hell I was late most of the time anyway. But eliminating the pointless ownership of handguns would be great. Reduce violence, espically domestic violence and kids getting shot while playing with them. Don't give that dumbfuck shit about "oh, if the criminal might think you have a gun he'll think twice about breaking in" THE FUCK HE WILL! He's going to break in anyway. That's absoutely fucking ludicrous. The only way you might make them think twice is put a big ass sign on your house that says "I've got 15 guns biatch" and I'm sure your neighbors would appreicate that. I live in a rural area where lots of people have guns and breaking and entering still happens all the time. They don't even think about someone having a gun, they just want to steal something. We need guns for hunting, because, espcially where I live, the damn deer population is too high anyway and this county is like 5th in the nation in deer killed every year. I saw some go across the street last night right in front of me and I about hit the damn things. But handguns are pointless. Eliminate handguns. "Oh, but then all the criminals will have the guns and will run rampant" Not. The criminals will do what they want to do no matter what. Don't take our guns away because they're L33T, right? I just don't understand the need these kids have to actually kill people. That's ridiculous. I've hated people before, and fantasized about beating them up, but not using weapons of any kind. Kids today are a bunch of fucking pansies. Hell, I'm only 18, but it seems that I'm light years from these punks. Dammit, back when I was a kid, I had to walk 50 miles in a blizzard just to get to school......anyway, enough rambling.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature
CaptainBob
CaptainBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 11:03:46 Reply

At 3/6/01 10:44 AM, NuKe929 wrote: I agree totally, Ross! Those who make others feel unworthy of living are unworthy of living.

WHAT THE FUCK??

Yeah, they made fun of me, let's go shoot 'em, that will show them. That is EXACTLY what is wrong with these kids that do the shootings, that attitude. Yeah, sure, picking on someone is bad, but is it is not worth killing someone. If you have ever lost a loved one, you know that death is the worst thing there is by about 20,000 times. It is permament, no coming back. The ONLY thing that warrants death is murder, certaintly not picking on someone. What the hell will that solve? He called me stupid, I think I'll go kill him and his friends.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature
Anotsu-Kagehisa
Anotsu-Kagehisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 12:02:17 Reply

WTF is up with these school shootings? What do these kids hope to accomplish?? All they ever accomplish in these shootings is turning the very people that picked on them into could-not-do-wrong martyers and themselves into evil homicidal idiots. Now the media will overhype this like they did Coluombine and there will be fingers pointing everywhere besides the ovious reasons and copycats spring up all over the nation threatening countless schools with shooting and bomb threats. (I know this is true because it happened in my own high school,even though it was a hoax and no one died)
When will people ever learn that violence isnt the answer and will only make things worse in the long run??

Anotsu_Kagehisa

Ross
Ross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 12:56:22 Reply

At 3/6/01 10:44 AM, NuKe929 wrote: I agree totally, Ross! Those who make others feel unworthy of living are unworthy of living.

Whoa. Don't be putting words in my mouth - I certainly wouldn't stand behind that. Inflicting emotional harm on kids by making fun of them is bad; causing kids physical harm in return is no better. No one has the right to declare themself judge, jury, and executioner over someone else.

Ross Snyder - PHP Juggler
If you find a problem on the website, send me a PM.

cannibal518
cannibal518
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 12:56:40 Reply

At 3/6/01 10:56 AM, Captain_Bob wrote:
Reduce violence, espically domestic violence and kids getting shot while playing with them. Don't give that dumbfuck shit about "oh, if the criminal might think you have a gun he'll think twice about breaking in" THE FUCK HE WILL! He's going to break in anyway. That's absoutely fucking ludicrous.

You know you should really get some statistics and facts before you go blowing your stupid mouth off...Maybe if you spend a little more time on research and a little lesss time crying your poor liberal bleeding heart blues you might learn something...sounds like you've got most of your ideas from a predominatly biased media.....Its a proven statistic that between 50-60 percent of criminals will not break into a place where there is the possibility of them getting shot in the process...once criminals know that no one has guns then guess what they aren't going to worry about that any more....if you wanna read more of these stats read the book More Guns...Less Crime by John R. Lott, JR..... or you can just continue to blunder down the path of igonorance...

nickhead
nickhead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 12:59:33 Reply

to me it's simple. it does require the one the we all need but don't really have...money.
Metal detectors are a great idea to ensure safety of the student body. Clear bookbags and stuff like that are aslo a good idea. Kids claim that this takes away any freedom they had in school. But school is not supposed to be a place for you to express yourself. It is a sterile, religion influence free, educational facility. Crazy Joe Clark had some good ideas, put metal detectors in the schools and chain the damn doors shut. Joe Clark..yeah haven't you seen "Lean on Me"?

TheBillionDollarMan
TheBillionDollarMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Santana High School, Santee, CA 2001-03-06 13:21:37 Reply

I think now the question is, "What is the mental state of the students at Santana and surrounding areas?"
If we take a look at Columbine, the immeadiate reaction, was "Security, Security, Security," so there would be that image of safety, though no one is really safe.
Columbine suffered yet another tragedy, and that was the mental condition of it's students AFTER the fact. After the shooting, the school and surrounding districts concentrated on beefing up security so much, that the psychological problems of it's students went unnoticed until too late.
Students and parents lost faith in "the system." There was lots of heartache. Friends no longer talked. People because isolated. Afraid.
Because the school was listening to the media, and not it's students.
Let's not make the same mistake at Santana. Immeadiately, support groups should be organized and put into effect. No doubt, Santana and surrounding districts will beef up security. But the students, and parents alike, must find a place to vent. To show their feelings. They shouldn't feel alone and scared. Groups must be started. Feelings and emotions must be let out. Someone must listen, and comfort, if not the school district.
Yesterday morning, when I woke up and saw the news, I asked my sister what was going on.
She said, "There was a shooting at some school."
"Some school" is right. That school happens to be 10 minutes away from where my girlfriend lives.
She told me on the phone last night, she could look out her window, and see the hospital where one of the two students died.
Will we ever truly put an end to this? Maybe. But not at the rate we are going.
An idea...
Let's concentrate on EDUCATION. Not enforcement.

At 3/6/01 01:23 AM, Ross wrote: The details are different, but the outcome is the same: it happened again.