aetherica
aetherica
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 10/29/13 12:44 PM, supergandhi64 wrote:
At 10/28/13 01:06 PM, TakkunZX wrote: So, is anyone here a fan of kill la kill ?
it's cool & i like it . . . the best part is the fight scenes & the gags (all of it)

--supergandhi64

Oh yeah, I love Kill La Kill! Speaking of which, does anybody know what the kanji on Nui's face means?

UncleCubone
UncleCubone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 12/23/13 01:58 PM, towelie101 wrote:
At 12/23/13 05:16 AM, UncleCubone wrote: So yeah. Hi there.
Welcome, there are no prerequisites to join. Did you just get into anime/manga recently? Your tastes seem to indicated that, as well as the small number of favorite anime you listed.

I prefer manga as well, both hentai and regular series.

rewatching Naruto
WHY

No. I've been into anime for a few years. I just listed my top 3.

And don't hate me for liking Naruto. I know it uses the average plotlines and shonen styles, but it's still a very solid series. The climaxes of the battles are generally very cool and touching (ex. The battle between Zabuza on the bridge.) Whether you despise me or not, I like Naruto.

SIG BY AMARANTHUS. | PUNK ISN'T DEAD. | I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
aetherica
aetherica
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:49 PM Reply

Is anyone here a fan of Dramatical Murder?

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:34 PM Reply

At 12/23/13 05:38 PM, UncleCubone wrote: No. I've been into anime for a few years. I just listed my top 3.

I just never see Bleach on any 'favorite' lists ever, only One Piece if any of the Big Three at all, but the others are decent. Death Note's end still angers me, though, because of that fucker Near -- I wish he died at the end, along with Light.

And don't hate me for liking Naruto. I know it uses the average plotlines and shonen styles, but it's still a very solid series. The climaxes of the battles are generally very cool and touching (ex. The battle between Zabuza on the bridge.)

I'm not hating on you, but Naruto isn't something I'd like to rewatch or -read. I've read through a couple hundred chapters of the manga, but finally dropped it around 525 or so. Shippuden is where it really gets shitty, but pre-timeskip is an 'average'/ok read; even the 'decent' parts don't welcome revisiting.

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 12/23/13 05:49 PM, aetherica wrote: Is anyone here a fan of Dramatical Murder?

I might have the VN on my computer, but yaoi/BL stuff aren't my thing so I haven't read much of it. I'm pretty sure I deleted it a while ago, though.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:39 PM Reply

Naruto is the kind of anime I hate.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 12/23/13 05:38 PM, UncleCubone wrote: And don't hate me for liking Naruto. I know it uses the average plotlines and shonen styles, but it's still a very solid series. The climaxes of the battles are generally very cool and touching (ex. The battle between Zabuza on the bridge.) Whether you despise me or not, I like Naruto.

pre-shippuden Naruto actually wasn't that awful as far as manga goes, but the series is still a steaming heap along with all the other long running shonen adaptations. i tried to get into the latest chapters recently but at some point Kishimoto obviously forgot he was supposed to be telling a story about ninjas and made everything come down to whatever inherited special ability the characters have.

At 12/23/13 05:37 PM, aetherica wrote: Oh yeah, I love Kill La Kill! Speaking of which, does anybody know what the kanji on Nui's face means?

子 = Child

(probably)

Anime Club

NGSM | Pm me for a sig |
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いている

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:20 PM Reply

I've been watching a fair amount of anime recently, and for the first time, I can stop by this thread and actually understand the conversation.

I think my favorite of all time is Outlaw Star. Every single episode advances the plot in some way. I watched it a bit when it was on Toonami when I was a kid, but revisited it this year and watched the whole thing. While I was nostalgic for it, the show is really cool even now. I think it's a must-see if you haven't already watched it.

Another anime I saw as a kid was Yu Yu Hakusho. I guess I was a bit forgetful, because I only remembered the first couple of episodes. I was a bit nostalgic for it, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. It had some really strong episodes, but the fourth season got so bad I wasn't able to finish it. Stop suffering from Saiyan Syndrome, Yusuke.

I enjoyed a few other series, my favorites were Code Geass (mecha), Valkyria Chronicles (adventure), Watamote (humor).

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 12/21/13 05:59 PM, Wunderbar wrote: i could never really get into gundam, but most mecha series thrive on doing random things with a silly core plot device.

Winter line up.

Except that particular moment gave Gundam ZZ a negative reputation among the fanbase.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 07:56 AM Reply

At 12/23/13 11:20 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: I've been watching a fair amount of anime recently, and for the first time, I can stop by this thread and actually understand the conversation.

I think my favorite of all time is Outlaw Star.

I love Outlaw Star. I caught it every week when it first premiered on Toonami and recorded it on VHS. I have it in DVD now, of course.

Every single episode advances the plot in some way.

lol Even the shameless obligatory bathing suit fanservice episode served a purpose in that Gene got that special shell for his caster.

I watched it a bit when it was on Toonami when I was a kid, but revisited it this year and watched the whole thing. While I was nostalgic for it, the show is really cool even now.

Yeah, nostalgia is a factor in my enjoyment of it, but even if it weren't, I'd still like it.

Another anime I saw as a kid was Yu Yu Hakusho. I guess I was a bit forgetful, because I only remembered the first couple of episodes. I was a bit nostalgic for it, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. It had some really strong episodes, but the fourth season got so bad I wasn't able to finish it.

I really dug Yu Yu Hakusho when they were first showing it on CN (I can't remember if it was Toonami or Adult Swim). That was the right time for a show like that to get my attention. I must have been like 13 or 14 I think. I never saw the show all the way to the end, though. I think the farthest I saw was up to that martial arts tournament. My memory of that is fuzzy. I was recently rewatching it from the beginning. There's something I get out of the oldschool style that I. I got up to when he fights Suzaku. I hate his stupid pet bird. Why is there a Muppet in this show?

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 11:53 AM Reply

yu yu hakusho is good, but the dark tournament dragged a bit at times.. my favorite arc is the one that comes afterward, the sensui arc, I also like the last arc where they go to hell, though it has a somewhat abrupt end. i still recommend hunter x hunter to anybody who liked yu yu hakusho, it actually has a really interesting power system which places strict rules on what its users are allowed to do, and the quality of the battles is on par with jojo's bizarre adventure.

UncleCubone
UncleCubone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 12/4/13 07:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Been watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time in years. I had forgotten that it actually didn't start out being like DBZ.

I never actually saw the anime, I just played the PS2 game.
I beat it, but I remember it being really hard, but really fun.

Anyhow, is it worth watching? I just finished Blue Exorcist and I need something to fill the void.

Anime Club

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 12/24/13 03:02 PM, UncleCubone wrote:
At 12/4/13 07:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Been watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time in years. I had forgotten that it actually didn't start out being like DBZ.

Anyhow, is it worth watching? I just finished Blue Exorcist and I need something to fill the void.

If you enjoyed the game, I suppose you could give it a try. The pace is a little slow but it was fun to watch for the most part.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 05:26 PM Reply

At 12/24/13 11:53 AM, DeIirium wrote: yu yu hakusho is good, but the dark tournament dragged a bit at times.. my favorite arc is the one that comes afterward, the sensui arc, I also like the last arc where they go to hell, though it has a somewhat abrupt end. i still recommend hunter x hunter to anybody who liked yu yu hakusho, it actually has a really interesting power system which places strict rules on what its users are allowed to do, and the quality of the battles is on par with jojo's bizarre adventure.

Could be worse, in the manga of YYH, the demon tournament was in the background for the most part so it barely received any attention. The worst part was how the manga ended however so it's understandable why it was never adapted into the anime, I mean spirit world being taken over by terrorists lasted for one chapter. It has some promise as a final arc but it was rushed however.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Just watched Summer Wars on Toonami a week or two ago. Thought it was an interesting watch. Anyone else catch it?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2013 @ 07:09 PM Reply

At 12/24/13 06:48 PM, Wegra wrote: Just watched Summer Wars on Toonami a week or two ago. Thought it was an interesting watch. Anyone else catch it?

The first hour because Adult Swim airs that shit so fucking late. It would have ended at 2:30. I ain't got the metabolism for that shit.

Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2013 @ 11:32 AM Reply

tried a few chapters of Kiseijuu... strongly recommend if you're not a fan of sleeping.

At 12/24/13 12:40 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Except that particular moment gave Gundam ZZ a negative reputation among the fanbase.

well if it didn't add anything to the story then i can understand the frustration.

NGSM | Pm me for a sig |
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いている

BBS Signature
UncleCubone
UncleCubone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2013 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 12/24/13 07:09 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 12/24/13 06:48 PM, Wegra wrote: Just watched Summer Wars on Toonami a week or two ago. Thought it was an interesting watch. Anyone else catch it?
The first hour because Adult Swim airs that shit so fucking late. It would have ended at 2:30. I ain't got the metabolism for that shit.

Really? Come on, I can always last until at LEAST 2:30.

Although it doesn't really matter anyway, since I haven't had cable for about 3 months now.

Us broke-ass honkies gotta stick togetha

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2013 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 12/25/13 11:32 AM, Wunderbar wrote: tried a few chapters of Kiseijuu... strongly recommend if you're not a fan of sleeping.

I don't remember Kiseijuu being all that scary, it's pretty gross I guess tho

Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 26th, 2013 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 12/25/13 06:19 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/25/13 11:32 AM, Wunderbar wrote: tried a few chapters of Kiseijuu... strongly recommend if you're not a fan of sleeping.
I don't remember Kiseijuu being all that scary, it's pretty gross I guess tho

no it's not scary, but i couldn't go to sleep without imagining some parasite crawling into my ear.

NGSM | Pm me for a sig |
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いている

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 26th, 2013 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 12/24/13 03:44 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote:
At 12/24/13 03:02 PM, UncleCubone wrote:

If you enjoyed the game, I suppose you could give it a try. The pace is a little slow but it was fun to watch for the most part.

When I was rewatching it, I was actually enjoying the beginning when it was slower than when it started getting more into action.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Dec. 26th, 2013 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 12/26/13 10:36 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: When I was rewatching it, I was actually enjoying the beginning when it was slower than when it started getting more into action.

YYH really hits its stride in the Sensui arc imo. People talk about the Dark Tournament as the highlight and it is a really good arc, just as the ones before it were, but the Sensui arc is where the show takes the fast pace action of the preceding arcs and combines it with more cerebral, mind game-y elements that keep the show from getting stale and makes all confrontations between characters unpredictable and exciting.

It's the same element that made Hunter X Hunter so good when Yoshihiro Togashi started writing that after YYH.

UncleCubone
UncleCubone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 28th, 2013 @ 09:06 AM Reply

Best Animes of 2013?

Take your pick? Do you believe this is accurate?

BBS Signature
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 28th, 2013 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 12/28/13 09:06 AM, UncleCubone wrote: Do you believe this is accurate?

silver spoon is great but the other four were pretty average, with stand out qualities but major flaws that can't be overlooked.

where is little busters!: refrain? uchouten kazoku? heck, even susei no gargantia would've been a better choice.

NGSM | Pm me for a sig |
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いている

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 28th, 2013 @ 12:58 PM Reply

Kotaku link
Do you believe this is accurate?

Nope.

Majestic Prince is my favorite from this year and I'm disappointed it didn't get mentioned at all. The story/twists were predictable, but the fight scenes were good eyecandy -- particularly Jiart//Izuru and MJP//Klein -- and redeemed the whole thing.

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 28th, 2013 @ 01:12 PM Reply

Also, Illuminati finished scanning/translating the Rookies manga a few days ago. It's a fantastic sports series, so I highly recommend it.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 30th, 2013 @ 10:07 AM Reply

I just watched the second Gintama movie. It was easily one of the best things I've seen in years.

Nevermind
Nevermind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Anime Club Dec. 30th, 2013 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 12/28/13 09:06 AM, UncleCubone wrote: Best Animes of 2013?

Take your pick? Do you believe this is accurate?

Attempting to establish an objectively best anime is such a fruitless task. As for me, I could only finish Hataraku Maou-sama out of those five, though I'll give Silver Spoon another go someday. I thought my favorite would be a SoL as usual, but PSYCHOP-ASS cyberpunked its way to number one. Kin-iro Mosaic is also up there, with Non Non Biyori. C3-Bu wasn't exactly good, but it was a hell of a ride worth mentioning. Aku no Hana was... Something else.

Unrivaled worst anime of the year goes to Kotoura-san, what a trainwreck.

Favorite movie was Kotoha no Niwa/The Garden of Words. That Shinkai Makoto is one glorious motherfucker.

Anime Club

BurningJesus
BurningJesus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 30th, 2013 @ 07:55 PM Reply

Have people seen Space Dandy yet?

Do people know of some other animes that have obvious influence from America? The only other one I know of is Heroman.

AmateurPsychonaut
AmateurPsychonaut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Reader
Response to Anime Club Dec. 30th, 2013 @ 09:25 PM Reply

At 12/30/13 07:55 PM, BurningJesus wrote: Have people seen Space Dandy yet?

Do people know of some other animes that have obvious influence from America? The only other one I know of is Heroman.

No. It's not premiering until this weekend, I believe it is. They're saying it's coming out in America before Japan, even. I'm pretty excited about it though. Shinichiro Watanabe does really good work. Everything of his I've seen has been gold. I'm wondering how much it was influenced by Cowboy Bebop though. Aside from the fact that Dandy is obviously meant to be more humorous, the trailers always make me think Bebop.

On another note, did anyone else catch Trigun: Badlands Rumble on AS this past weekend? I liked Trigun when it was on, but haven't gotten around to watching the dubs online yet. Right now I'm finishing off Love Hina (for the second time), and I'm thinking I may give Azumangah Daioh a try next. Back to the point of the Trigun movie though... it was really good. I was actually impressed by how good it was. Anyone who hasn't seen it should give it a watch at some point.