New Topic Respond to this Topic
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:54 PM Reply

There's a con around here every summer which is creatively named "anime con". I went there last year because Yoshihiro Takahashi, the creator of the Ginga series was there. This year Spoony is going to be there so I'm going again since I like some of his videos, even though he's kind of insane.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 01:54 PM, DeIirium wrote: This year Spoony is going to be there so I'm going again since I like some of his videos, even though he's kind of insane.

Spoony was at a con here last summer but I couldn't make it. Hope they try to get him again.

He has calmed down a lot since he got that new girlfriend.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

I've had Akira on DVD sitting around for a while and I finally decided to watch it. Good film, but I reckon I'll have to watch it again at some point to understand it fully. My attention wandered a few times during the film, which probably didn't help. I think it's one of the better anime films I've seen.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: I've had Akira on DVD sitting around for a while and I finally decided to watch it. Good film, but I reckon I'll have to watch it again at some point to understand it fully. My attention wandered a few times during the film, which probably didn't help. I think it's one of the better anime films I've seen.

Well it's a 2-hour-long (I actually don't remember how long it is but whatever) movie adaptation of a manga the size of a phone book. Details were lost, so you might also need to check up a thing or two online to fill all the holes.
Still a good movie, as long as you don't watch it dubbed...by the way, was your copy dubbed or subbed?

KANEDAAAAAAAA!!! TETSUOOOOOOOOO!!!
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 05:52 PM, PWJP wrote: Still a good movie, as long as you don't watch it dubbed...by the way, was your copy dubbed or subbed?

Pretty sure it had Jap and English audio. I chose English, as I usually do. I never watch things subbed unless I have to. I think people really blow the whole "crappy English voice acting" thing out of proportion. If you're suggesting the Akira voice acting was bad, I don't really see how. At no point did I think it was noticeably bad. If it makes a difference, I was watching the remastered version, which I gather has a different dub to the original version.

But yea, I rarely watch things subbed. I don't like having to read subtitles because it means I literally can't take my eyes off the screen without missing something.

BBS Signature
aListers
aListers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:29 PM Reply

I've just seen the ending to a really depressing game. The only other mediums of entertainment that I've been that mind blowingly depressed over are anime and music. I already have 2 songs which will depress me for all my life but I need an anime to watch. Can you guys recommend me some really depressing animes?

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-on= anime era.
What have I done with my life?
clock crew

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club May. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:29 PM, aListers wrote: I've just seen the ending to a really depressing game. The only other mediums of entertainment that I've been that mind blowingly depressed over are anime and music. I already have 2 songs which will depress me for all my life but I need an anime to watch. Can you guys recommend me some really depressing animes?

Bokurano was the most depressing one I've seen
Casshern Sins can be pretty depressing at times, but its not that good
Those are the only 2 I know that are depressing the whole way through

MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club May. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:13 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 01:20 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 5/22/13 12:04 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: CONFIRMING
I WILL BE GOING TO A CONVENTION THIS YEAR!

Anime Evolution, it'll be glorious!
I went to an anime con last summer. Full of sweat and awkwardness and overpriced merch. I'd say they're only worth going if someone you admire is going to have a panel or something.

Scott McNeil gets an invite every year and apparently shows up a lot. Yuri Lowenthal will be there aswell and the cast of TeamFourStar too.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club May. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:29 PM, aListers wrote: Can you guys recommend me some really depressing animes?

Grave of the Fireflies
Texhnolyze
Now and Then, Here and There
Battle Angel (to a lesser extent)

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club May. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:34 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:29 PM, aListers wrote: I've just seen the ending to a really depressing game. The only other mediums of entertainment that I've been that mind blowingly depressed over are anime and music. I already have 2 songs which will depress me for all my life but I need an anime to watch.

Rainbow is pretty depressing, though it is quite optimistic also.

BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:29 PM, aListers wrote: I've just seen the ending to a really depressing game. The only other mediums of entertainment that I've been that mind blowingly depressed over are anime and music. I already have 2 songs which will depress me for all my life but I need an anime to watch. Can you guys recommend me some really depressing animes?

Madoka Magica bummed me out (not necessarily depressed). It had no happy momments until the bitter sweet end.

after that I got nothing

The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:47 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:29 PM, aListers wrote: Can you guys recommend me some really depressing animes?

The Usagi Drop manga is incredibly upsetting imo

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club May. 24th, 2013 @ 01:33 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: I've had Akira on DVD sitting around for a while and I finally decided to watch it. Good film, but I reckon I'll have to watch it again at some point to understand it fully. My attention wandered a few times during the film, which probably didn't help. I think it's one of the better anime films I've seen.

I read the first manga and I do agree with this there's a LOT of shit going on which requires more then one viewing.

I have a penis

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club May. 24th, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

angel beats

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 26th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 5/23/13 08:47 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

Really? I think it is mostly giggles until the last volume

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 27th, 2013 @ 03:24 AM Reply

At 5/26/13 09:30 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote:
Really? I think it is mostly giggles until the last volume

That's what makes it so upsetting

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club May. 28th, 2013 @ 06:57 AM Reply

One of my favorite anime films. It gets even better when you think about how anime was at the time it was made. An anime of such quality back then was almost unheard of.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Anime Club May. 28th, 2013 @ 07:36 AM Reply

Been watching Baccano! every once in a while. Just got done with episode 5. I quite like it but I don't really have much clue as to what's going on. It just throws several characters at you with no real explanation and they all have their own motives. I assume that's intended though? It's intriguing enough got me to want to keep watching.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club May. 28th, 2013 @ 02:27 PM Reply

i hear they're releasing new chapters

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club May. 28th, 2013 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 02:27 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:

it would only be readable/watchable if there was a romantic (or ecchi) relationship between the guy and the girl

Say no to rape.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 03:49 AM Reply

Im at the final atrium in Final Fantasy 9. However only Setzer....sorry, ViVi is at level 50. There have to be side quests I missed or some place to grind on enemies. I can't beat Kuja with my current team. I need to level up!

Team im going to take to fight Kuja:
Zidane (currently 49)
Eiko (currently 39)
Freya (currently 49)
Setzer (currently 50)

I changed Vivi's name to Setzer because I thought Vivi was a stupid name. Meanwhile Setzer was awesome in FF6, so I named him after a totally boss character.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 04:00 AM Reply

At 5/24/13 05:18 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
angel beats

You clearly didn't watch TK closely enough

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 04:37 AM Reply

At 5/28/13 02:27 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:

It's too late, the damage is done

I can never go back to a time where I hadn't read post-timeskip

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:03 AM Reply

If you guys really have some time to blow you owe it to yourselves to watch Maison Ikkoku since it probably the best anime in its genre. Don't be turned off by the fact that it is an anime from the 1980's or that it is 96 episodes long because I swear that it is all worth it. It pays of in the in with the absolute best anime ending of all time.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:55 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 03:49 AM, sweet21 wrote: I need to level up!

You really don't, I've finished the game about 5 times and I always beat Kuja around level 40 or so, 50 is pretty optimal at that point. Plus you'll go up about 5 levels while fighting through memoria. Finish chocobo hot & cold if you haven't, after that it's only worth grinding if you plan to fight Ozma.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 04:00 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
At 5/24/13 05:18 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
angel beats
You clearly didn't watch TK closely enough

or did i?

Say no to rape.

BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:41 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 04:54 PM, kakalxlax wrote:

(or ecchi) relationship between the guy and the girl

Don't count on it

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:34 AM Reply

At 5/28/13 07:36 AM, Dean wrote: Been watching Baccano! every once in a while. Just got done with episode 5. I quite like it but I don't really have much clue as to what's going on. It just throws several characters at you with no real explanation and they all have their own motives. I assume that's intended though? It's intriguing enough got me to want to keep watching.

The show isn't in chronological order. You find out more about the characters as the show goes on.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Anime Club May. 30th, 2013 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:34 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: The show isn't in chronological order. You find out more about the characters as the show goes on.

Ah, cool. I'll need to watch some more today. Been a few days since I last watched any of it. Are their any other animes that have a sort of mafia theme to them? I've always enjoyed gangster films and Baccano seems to be making good use of the theme.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club May. 30th, 2013 @ 09:12 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 09:05 AM, Dean wrote:

Are their any other animes that have a sort of mafia theme to them? I've always enjoyed gangster films and Baccano seems to be making good use of the theme.

Hitman Reborn

Just Kidding