Be a Supporter!
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 04:16 AM, Oolaph wrote:
At 9/20/14 03:39 AM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/18/14 06:27 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Baccano!
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Michiko to Hatchin
gonna go ahead and give a +1 to all these recs except for Baccano, i wasn't really into that but I know a ton of people love it so whatever

I just feel like whatever it is, there's something about all those shows and DtB that a lot of people who like one of them might like the rest. Personally, I loved all of them.

The other three are just way overlooked ones I put because of the "fuck it, just recommend" comment. Especially Kemonozume since I never hear it mentioned yet I've seen people raving about Mind Game, made by the same guy, which I hear was downloaded to the point the company chose not to distribute here.

I just started watching Bebop this evening, and I'm already pleasantly hooked. I haven't been this enthralled in an anime in ages. Thanks for the rec, m8.
Bebop is fantastic. Even though suggesting the very idea could get a person killed, you should watch the English dub of it instead of the Japanese audio track. The vocal performance of the English cast is far better.

This is very true. The dub is the only way to watch it.

Also, Sev, as Jackho said, Champloo, since you're liking Bebop. And he's right that Satoshi Kon was great. Died with a spotless record.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 10:00 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Also, Sev, as Jackho said, Champloo, since you're liking Bebop. And he's right that Satoshi Kon was great. Died with a spotless record.

H'okay, so now I've got these on my backlist: baccano!, black lagoon, michiko to hatchin, kemonuzume, satoshi kon.
I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and Mobile Suit Gundam atm, and about to start Legend of Galactic Heroes

At 9/20/14 04:16 AM, Oolaph wrote: I watched the prequel movie but that's it. We should totally go through it together though, sounds like fun.

Wanna start it tonight, then? It is Saturday, after all. I'm staying indoors this weekend.

you should watch the English dub of it instead of the Japanese audio track.

HAHAHAno

Anime Club


bollocks m8

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

If you don't watch the Cowboy Bebop dub you are a pleb among plebs. You might as well watch DBZ in Japanese too where everyone sounds like an angry rodent.

Also, LoGH is really good

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 02:03 PM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/20/14 04:16 AM, Oolaph wrote: you should watch the English dub of it instead of the Japanese audio track.
HAHAHAno

Dude, it's the only right way to watch it. It's pretty much common knowledge.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 02:03 PM, Sevkat wrote: Wanna start it tonight, then? It is Saturday, after all. I'm staying indoors this weekend.

If I don't fall asleep and forget, yeah sure. How do you wanna do it? Decide a number of episodes and do it homework style or set up some sort of livestream?

HAHAHAno

no but really. it's one of the rare cases where the dub is actually an improvement.


BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 05:23 PM, Oolaph wrote: If I don't fall asleep and forget, yeah sure. How do you wanna do it? Decide a number of episodes and do it homework style or set up some sort of livestream?

If you set up the livestream, that'd be p dope cash money.
If not, we'll just watch two episodes tonight, I'll find a torrent on nyaa soon.

no but really. it's one of the rare cases where the dub is actually an improvement.
At 9/20/14 05:15 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Dude, it's the only right way to watch it. It's pretty much common knowledge.

I'm not watching a fuckin' english dub, bruth/a/s.


bollocks m8

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 05:45 PM, Sevkat wrote: If you set up the livestream, that'd be p dope cash money.
If not, we'll just watch two episodes tonight, I'll find a torrent on nyaa soon.

Let's just do two episodes on our own tonight and maybe i'll try to set up a streamy thing in a few days.

I'm not watching a fuckin' english dub, bruth/a/s.

your loss

Anime Club


BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 06:08 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 9/20/14 05:45 PM, Sevkat wrote: If you set up the livestream, that'd be p dope cash money.
If not, we'll just watch two episodes tonight, I'll find a torrent on nyaa soon.
Let's just do two episodes on our own tonight and maybe i'll try to set up a streamy thing in a few days.

I'm not watching a fuckin' english dub, bruth/a/s.
your loss

My friend just called and told me that there's a party at a friend's house, he's got a soundproof room with a shitload of instruments, I'm gonna bring my strat and jam out.

Also, I'm babysitting right now, so I don't really have time for animu.

I'll definitely watch two eps tomorrow, doe.


bollocks m8

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 06:16 PM, Sevkat wrote: My friend just called and told me that there's a party at a friend's house, he's got a soundproof room with a shitload of instruments, I'm gonna bring my strat and jam out.

be sure to belt out some ROCKIN TUNEZ and show them what's what

Also, I'm babysitting right now, so I don't really have time for animu.

I'll definitely watch two eps tomorrow, doe.

lol babysitting what are you 12 LOL why aren't you a cool NEET loser like me lol

sounds like a good plan though, especially since that lets me be lazy and go to sleep early after Doctor Who


BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2 days ago Reply

At 9/20/14 06:24 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 9/20/14 06:16 PM, Sevkat wrote: My friend just called and told me that there's a party at a friend's house, he's got a soundproof room with a shitload of instruments, I'm gonna bring my strat and jam out.
be sure to belt out some ROCKIN TUNEZ and show them what's what

Meh, it's okay, it's my buddy who's my age, and his dad I'm going with. It's my buddy's dad's friend's party, he's the one with the studio. It's kinda lame because all they wanna play is boring stuff, like Led Zep, where's I'm more interested in playing my own stuff. Last time I went he was like "OH BRO DO U KNO HOW TO PALY 4 WHO DA BELL TOLLS", I was like sure ok. They were both p unorganized, it was p lame. Plus they're both over fucking 40 years old.

Also, I'm babysitting right now, so I don't really have time for animu.

I'll definitely watch two eps tomorrow, doe.
lol babysitting what are you 12 LOL why aren't you a cool NEET loser like me lol

sounds like a good plan though, especially since that lets me be lazy and go to sleep early after Doctor Who

Awesome, sounds like a plan.
...Man.


bollocks m8

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/20/14 05:45 PM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/20/14 05:23 PM, Oolaph wrote:
I'm not watching a fuckin' english dub, bruth/a/s.

Refusing to watch a dub even when it's unanimously agreed all over that it's superior. That's weeaboo talk.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Onett
Onett
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

I only watch my animes in their original, Japanese language, because English dub va's are awful and are only in it for the money while the original Japanese va's do not do it for money, but to preserve the spirit of how it was meant to be watched ^____^


BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

slowly devoured ashita no joe over the past few days and i'm fucking satisfied with this end. i would've been disappointed if the verdict of this final match was any different.

you nerds better have a good reason if you haven't experienced this manga yet.

Anime Club

Onett
Onett
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/21/14 01:06 AM, towelie101 wrote: slowly devoured ashita no joe over the past few days and i'm fucking satisfied with this end. i would've been disappointed if the verdict of this final match was any different.

you nerds better have a good reason if you haven't experienced this manga yet.

Already experienced it. There is simply nothing else like it out there.


BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/21/14 01:10 AM, Onett wrote:
At 9/21/14 01:06 AM, towelie101 wrote: slowly devoured ashita no joe over the past few days and i'm fucking satisfied with this end. i would've been disappointed if the verdict of this final match was any different.

you nerds better have a good reason if you haven't experienced this manga yet.
Already experienced it. There is simply nothing else like it out there.

based hox is fucking awesome for delivering the rest of it. i haven't been hyped by anything like it in a while. i'm pretty tempted to pick up ippo now but that shit's like 100 volumes compared to joe. i know it won't hold a candle to the latter anyway.

Onett
Onett
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/21/14 01:20 AM, towelie101 wrote:

based hox is fucking awesome for delivering the rest of it. i haven't been hyped by anything like it in a while. i'm pretty tempted to pick up ippo now but that shit's like 100 volumes compared to joe. i know it won't hold a candle to the latter anyway.

Yeah but they're not necessarily the same, I don't think it's fair to compare both. Joe is more human drama while Ippo is simply a really phenomenal sports comedy series. Ashita no Joe has a lot of social commentary on social classes and the end result of the huge social-economic gap. Along with it's coming of age boxing. Hajime no Ippo is coming of age, but it's also strictly about the sport itself and the characters who devote their lives to it.

Joe is a lot more fulfilling since it's a finished work, but I don't regret that month of reading Hajime no Ippo and catching up the latest chapters of the time.


BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/21/14 01:31 AM, Onett wrote: Joe is a lot more fulfilling since it's a finished work, but I don't regret that month of reading Hajime no Ippo and catching up the latest chapters of the time.

That'd be typically 3-4 volumes a day, unless you marathon read like 10 occasionally. Not so bad.

I just noticed that the anime of joe was fully subbed early this summer as well. Gonna pick that shit up before I even think of tackling Ippo.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

I think the Cowbop dub is a bit overblown. Both audio tracks are very good by anime standards, and sure that's rarer in english versions but I don't think it's essential to watch it dubbed because of that. It's good either way. Most seem to just prefer whichever version they saw first.


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 1 day ago Reply

At 9/20/14 08:23 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 9/20/14 05:45 PM, Sevkat wrote:
At 9/20/14 05:23 PM, Oolaph wrote:
I'm not watching a fuckin' english dub, bruth/a/s.
Refusing to watch a dub even when it's unanimously agreed all over that it's superior. That's weeaboo talk.

imma str8up wabo m8


bollocks m8

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 22 hours ago Reply

At 9/21/14 09:23 AM, Jackho wrote: Both audio tracks are very good by anime standards, and sure that's rarer in english versions

Good English dubs are not rare at all anymore. Lots of them are well done, now. I dunno if dubs that are actually better than the original are, though. I can't really say that I know of many animes I'd be totally adamant about watching in English aside from maybe Shin Chan and Lupin III series 2 + Secret of Mamo. Damn, I wish they'd get Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar and the rest of the group to dub the other Lupin series and the movies.

At 9/21/14 12:56 AM, Onett wrote: I only watch my animes in their original, Japanese language, because English dub va's are awful and are only in it for the money while the original Japanese va's do not do it for money, but to preserve the spirit of how it was meant to be watched ^____^

roru!

Anime Club


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 3 hours ago Reply

At 9/21/14 01:06 AM, towelie101 wrote: slowly devoured ashita no joe over the past few days and i'm fucking satisfied with this end. i would've been disappointed if the verdict of this final match was any different.

you nerds better have a good reason if you haven't experienced this manga yet.

Been there, done that.

That's where I learn Kamina's death was based off from, also his dad's name was Joe...


Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club 31 minutes ago Reply

For me it's more than just that the Bebop dub is really good it's also that it feels a lot more like it was meant to be in English. The setting, characters, music are all suited more to an English dub. Same with shows like Baccano or Monster where the setting is western and having all the characters speaking Japanese is weird.