New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 05:24 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I wouldn't say that. Basilisk is better and it's not even that great of a manga.

I think Basilisk gets a lot of undeserved hate. It was a decent action anime. And a lot of people seem to think that Ninja Scroll is overrated, but I think that movie is awesome.

Black Lion is okay. I feel like it was unfinished, though. That ending came out of nowhere and it just ended so abruptly.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 04:24 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 12/24/12 02:12 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 12/24/12 12:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Black Lion was pretty good but the story sucked, at least in the OVA I watched, I can't find the manga.

Black Lion wasn't really known for having any sort of plot, more so than the over-the-top elements and action. If I remember correctly, Black Lion was supposed to be a series, but their funding got cut, and couldn't make a profit beyond the OVA. For a Go Nagai production, this one basically bombed in Japan, and wasn't much better everywhere else, though I'm not 100% certain on that part.

I really did feel like this one could've worked out, but I guess this is one of those anime that couldn't get off the ground, after the first episode at least.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 03:00 AM Reply

At 12/24/12 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/24/12 05:24 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I wouldn't say that. Basilisk is better and it's not even that great of a manga.
I think Basilisk gets a lot of undeserved hate. It was a decent action anime.

I agree, it is a good series. I was just remarking on that fact that ninja manga are, generally, mediocre. If you really want to read a manga about feudal japan i'd recommend Vagabond or Shigurui. In my experience samurai stories tend to be a lot better than ninja stuff for whatever reason.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

got some anime for Christmas

Armitage: Dual Matrix
Ergo Proxy
Shin Chan season 3 part 2

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 09:14 PM Reply

I got a special edition of the first volume of the manga Bastard!!, a series which I have thought about starting to read. It has HR.Giger and Frank Frazetta inspired bonus illustrations which are really cool.

twistex
twistex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 07:57 AM Reply

So a couple of weeks ago I was suggested to check out Haruhi. I find the whole time traveling concept really exciting so I went out and brought The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya collection for $30 off Ebay.
Should be here within the week so I am hoping that in whole it turns out to be a really good anime.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 12/25/12 09:14 PM, DeIirium wrote: I got a special edition of the first volume of the manga Bastard!!, a series which I have thought about starting to read. It has HR.Giger and Frank Frazetta inspired bonus illustrations which are really cool.

I wish the OVA series was finished. It didn't have an ending. It was pretty neat. It reminded me of Heavy Metal.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Anime Club Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

I just finished watching Sword Art Online... Absolutely amazing first half... In comparison, the second half was kind of lame... I mean, it was good for what it was.. but comparing it to the first half, it kind of dropped the ball.

Still totally worth the watch though. I might actually pick up the light novel and give it a read.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 11:17 PM Reply

fuckin' A. one of the dumbest animes ever.

• BeyBlade Was F'n Dumb
    BeyBlade Was F'n Dumb by SpeedoSausage

Does anyone even remember BeyBlade? Well if you don't, lucky you, 'cos it was f**kin' DUMB

Score
    4.49 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 12/28/12 11:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: fuckin' A. one of the dumbest animes ever.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608382

The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote:
At 12/28/12 11:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: fuckin' A. one of the dumbest animes ever.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608382
The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

Have you seen Beyblade? It's really really really bad, even for a kid's show.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

Is that the one that has CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES? Because if so then I agree, it is beyond atrocious. It's as if the creators were like "Hey, how can we shock and scare away more people with a show than we already did with GX?" "DO THE SAME BUT INTRODUCE MOTORCYCLES!" "BAM! Perfect! Beautiful! Cut, edit and ship another container full of trading cards to the US"
The first YGO wasn't very good but compared to that and GX...at least we got stuff like YGOTAS out of that. But otherwise good god.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 1/4/13 05:46 PM, Austerity wrote:
At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote:
The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life.
There's a NG user who voices one of the characters on that show.

Its D-man-double

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

Currently watching this.

Laughing my spleen out.

Fans of perverted humour will find it hilarious. And it's surprisingly well-drawn too, considering it's only apparent intention is juvenile sex jokes.

MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:25 PM Reply

Welp, I keep buying weeaboo shit, not really watching any thing.... oh wait, watched the first episode of Sword Art Online. It's neat.... gotta see how it progresses

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 04:43 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 09:25 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Welp, I keep buying weeaboo shit, not really watching any thing.... oh wait, watched the first episode of Sword Art Online. It's neat.... gotta see how it progresses

I really didn't like SAO

It's shonen fun at first but after a certain point it just becomes insufferable and i'm sure if you continue long enough you'll see what point I am talking about.

BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

I really didn't like SAO

It's shonen fun at first but after a certain point it just becomes insufferable and i'm sure if you continue long enough you'll see what point I am talking about.

Instead of watching SAO i watched Madoka Magica....I think i did the right thing

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

Anyone feel like helping me out? Bought an anime movie for £2.50 on impulse, Highlander: Search For Vengeance. Only bought it because it's meant to be the only good thing in the Highlander franchise aside from the original film, and I like the original film. Anyway, I've been thinking I might start buying some anime DVDs since I've been watching DVDs a lot more regularly recently.

Any opinions on the following series?

Tokko
Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King
Ouran High School Host Club
High School of the Dead
Noein
Claymore
Trigun

I list those ones because I can pick them up fairly cheap. They're all < £10 for the complete sets with the exception of Trigun which is over double that but it does also look like the one I'd be most into. Ouran High School Host Club doesn't look like something I'd be into at first glance, but there must be more to it, seeing as it seems pretty well regarded in reviews.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: Any opinions on the following series?
High School of the Dead

I personally hate it, but if you like zombie stuff, aren't bothered by the massive amounts of fanservice and can get past the melodrama, then maybe, MAYBE you'll like it. I don't really recommend it though.

Trigun

It's great, you should really get it. Probably the only good time anime gave the wild west (although it's not COMPLETELY wild west-y) genre a good treatment.

Unfortunately those are the only two in your list that I've watched.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: High School of the Dead

The level of fanservice is ridiculous, but the action is quite entertaining. It's worth a look. A lot of people hate on it, but I just wonder what said people were expecting from a show called High School of the Dead, especially after seeing previews.

Claymore

I only saw the first two episodes, but it seems promising.

Trigun

That's an awesome show, even though Vash's rule against killing does get to a downright silly level considering certain situations he gets in. The movie is good, too, and the quality of the artwork is actually better than the show.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: Ouran High School Host Club

Funny, endearing, definitely worth a watch

High School of the Dead

It's just fanservice really. It's not awful but it's pretty much just swinging breasts and some zombie shooting which is more than enough for some people i'm sure.

Claymore

I read the manga so I don't know how good the anime is as an adaptation but if it's any bit as good it's worth watching.

Trigun

I couldn't really get into Trigun. I know it's a pretty popular entry level show but I just didn't really get into it.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 10:34 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: Any opinions on the following series?

Tokko

Seen a little bit of it, it's decent.

Ouran High School Host Club

Not really my cup of tea, but it's actually pretty good if you don't mind bishonen, {pretty boys} or high school wackiness.

High School of the Dead

It's chocked full of fanservice and there is little in terms of character development or plot, but with that said, I still recommend it for the fact that it's stupid fun.

Claymore

If you like Berserk!, then you should like this as well.

Trigun

Easily the best of the bunch. It's serious enough to leave you on the edge of your seat, yet humorous enough to keep it from being treated too seriously.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Anime Club Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 04:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: High School of the Dead
The level of fanservice is ridiculous, but the action is quite entertaining. It's worth a look. A lot of people hate on it, but I just wonder what said people were expecting from a show called High School of the Dead, especially after seeing previews.

People always hate shows that are popular. They try to find flaws in them and make them seem like they are a lot worse than they really are. Not that High School of the Dead is a gem or anything like that

BBS Signature
selena
selena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 03:23 AM Reply

I've never really been into Anime, but Dragon Ball Z was something I loved growing up. Is there anything out there similar to this? Pm me if you think you have something :p. I'll check back to this once and awhile

BBS Signature
JLCL01
JLCL01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 04:00 AM Reply

I watched Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise on Saturday via Hulu. It's Gainax's very first film from 1987. The animation is really well-done, especially since the whole movie is almost two hours long.

The story is quite unique. It's about a guy who volunteers to be the first human in space (note that this takes place on an Earth-like planet, in some interviews it's hinted to be near Alpha Centauri). I can't really say anything else except if you're further interested, I reccomended reading it up on other sites to see if you like it.

While it may not be absolutely perfect, it's still good and I reccomended giving it a watch.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 08:48 AM Reply

I appreciate the responses guys. At this point I have a fair bit of stuff bookmarked and I reckon I'll just buy one of them every once in a while. Although I just rediscovered the site that I was using to stream FMA: Brotherhood a while back and it has English dubs of just about all the animes I was interested in, so I can just use it to get an idea of what they're like. I'll still buy the DVDs rather than streaming it though. Call me crazy, but I prefer to actual own physical copies of stuff like this.

Might start with Tokko, just because it's cheap for the series and although it doesn't seem to be the most highly rated anime ever, the little that I watched actually seems like it should be good. I now see what you mean about High School of the Dead just being fanservice as well, but you know, I actually didn't think it was too bad to watch. Mindless zombie killing and whatnot.

Was also looking at Rin, Daughters of Mnemosyne. It seems to be gore and sex but has anyone seen it? I'm still a total noob when it comes to all this stuff. It seemed interesting though.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 1/7/13 08:48 AM, Dean wrote: Was also looking at Rin, Daughters of Mnemosyne.

eeeh. It had its moments, but I dunno. It turns into pretty much quasi-hentai and it just seems to lose steam.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Thedark
Thedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 02:48 PM Reply

I think that this is the right place to ask this question. Can anyone suggest me an anime that is similar to death note?

Newest interview with Squidbit Cheeeeeeeck it out
You give up your freedom for the safety that the government promises you ~ Confucianism
Sig by Asandir

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 1/7/13 02:48 PM, Thedark wrote: I think that this is the right place to ask this question. Can anyone suggest me an anime that is similar to death note?

Code Geass has the same of level of "aha, you thought you knew what i knew but actually i knew that you thought you knew what i knew so i manipulated you so you thought i didnt know you know what i knew"

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 1/7/13 07:07 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 1/7/13 02:48 PM, Thedark wrote: I think that this is the right place to ask this question. Can anyone suggest me an anime that is similar to death note?
Code Geass has the same of level of "aha, you thought you knew what i knew but actually i knew that you thought you knew what i knew so i manipulated you so you thought i didnt know you know what i knew"

hah. That's what annoyed me about Death Note. It was a neat idea and it was an interesting show, but it was a bit contrived at times. Plus, after L dies, it's all downhill from there.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature