New Topic Respond to this Topic
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 3/8/14 11:07 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: It's in the first page but I never really did join, I just pop in from time to time for a conversation about certain series. With that said, seeing how much anime series the Western world are familar with compared to Asians in general, I felt that the fandom in the U.S. are underexposed.

I would've thought that the Internet would've closed the gap by now for American fans, though I guess that there are some series in Japan that would never catch on in the West, or in the case for Macross, have an old dubbing company (Harmony Gold) hog the rights to it, and the producers in Japan weren't going to deal with them. Also, the anti-Japanese sentiment of the 80's pretty much delayed any sort of introduction to anime in America (besides Astro Boy, Speed Racer and maybe Robotech) compared to Latin America and Europe, though that maybe just a big guess on my part.

It also didn't help that American dubs were godawful and the blantant altering made by Carl Macek pretty much gave the Japanese second thoughts about it at the time. (To be fair to Macek, he basically had to work from scratch and had to make do with this whitewashing and egregious censorship issues.)

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 01:06 AM Reply

At 3/8/14 11:50 PM, orangebomb wrote:

The 1980s has anti-Asian sentiments which tells you something, not to mention Dinkins proving why he's a fucking useless ass mayor for the most of his tenure.

With that said, when it comes to how much the people in the U.S. are horribly underexposed to anime it tells you something when you have this thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1292658/1

Personally, I believe that anyone who thinks Doraemon is obscure should get shot.

Think of it as a mercy killing for that person's sake.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 10:12 PM Reply

Anime in the '80s?

When was the dub for the original Vampire Hunter D made? Was that movie first released in the US within the decade? Cuz maybe I'm crazy since stuff like Akira, a few Ghibli classics. and the best of the Lupin movies came out then, but that's still probably my favorite anime from the '80s. I still keep going back and watching it over and over after all these years since I first saw it. All the time, I'll be up in the middle of the night when I should be asleep and I'll just suddenly decide to put it on. I dunno how to explain why I like it so much, but there's just something about how the movie feels. Part of it is the score, all the sound effects, the visuals, I dunno what else. I just love the atmosphere. I can't really explain well enough, but there are certain movies, especially from the '80s, that have a vibe to them that can't be redone. Blood Reign is one, too. Not as great as those Ghibli movies and such, but it has something about it for me that's made me keep watching it so many times. Fantastic Planet is another one, though that was from the '70s.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Vault13dweller
Vault13dweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Writer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Anyone been watching Kill La Kill? I cannot wait for the next episode. I was underwhelmed by the first few episodes, but once it got past like episode 10 it blew my freakin' mind.

BBS Signature
ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Anime Club Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Hey guys i love anime1!!!!!

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 11:15 PM Reply

Wassup boys it's been like 2 years since I've been here what's goin on.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 11:15 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Wassup boys it's been like 2 years since I've been here what's goin on.

I remember you. Welcome back.

That race episode of Space Dandy had to be an homage to Outlaw Star, right? Even the guy with the green hair seemed like he was supposed to be based on Harry MacDougall, but exaggerating his effeminate qualities.

Anime Club

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 11:27 AM Reply

At 3/11/14 11:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/11/14 11:15 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Wassup boys it's been like 2 years since I've been here what's goin on.
I remember you. Welcome back.

That race episode of Space Dandy had to be an homage to Outlaw Star, right? Even the guy with the green hair seemed like he was supposed to be based on Harry MacDougall, but exaggerating his effeminate qualities.

The first thing I thought of when they mentioned the space race was that episode of Outlaw Star, although I'm not sure if extremely effeminate super racer is a trope or not.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 06:00 PM Reply

Toonami dropped Inuyasha.

That's an improvement.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 3/13/14 06:00 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Toonami dropped Inuyasha.

That's an improvement.

Sure it is, but that's not going to make me pick up a TV remote anytime soon.

I skipped out on this whole season to clean up my backlog, but I'm definitely watching Stardust Crusaders in spring.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 08:05 PM Reply

Is anyone else watching Samurai Flamenco? This shows ability to slap you in your face with your expectations and throw them in the trash is impeccable.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 22nd, 2014 @ 04:05 PM Reply

So I'm presuming we can also talk about manga, if not then my apologies. If we are though, who knows where I can buy manga box sets without spending an arm and a leg?

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 22nd, 2014 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 3/22/14 04:05 PM, darkjam wrote: So I'm presuming we can also talk about manga, if not then my apologies.

Of course. I dunno the answer to your question, though. I just used to get manga at Borders, but the only thing I collected was Berserk. I never bought anything else, and I stopped when I realized how far Miura was from completing it.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 22nd, 2014 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 3/22/14 05:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Of course. I dunno the answer to your question, though. I just used to get manga at Borders, but the only thing I collected was Berserk. I never bought anything else, and I stopped when I realized how far Miura was from completing it.

How much do you think I should pay for a box set of DBZ? Thinking about getting into the series again, but I would rather read the manga, I was thinking £120 was a good price to pay.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 22nd, 2014 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 3/22/14 07:44 PM, darkjam wrote:
At 3/22/14 05:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Of course. I dunno the answer to your question, though. I just used to get manga at Borders, but the only thing I collected was Berserk. I never bought anything else, and I stopped when I realized how far Miura was from completing it.
How much do you think I should pay for a box set of DBZ? Thinking about getting into the series again, but I would rather read the manga, I was thinking £120 was a good price to pay.

I really don't know about manga prices. I can't even remember what I used to pay for the Berserk volumes.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 22nd, 2014 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 3/22/14 05:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/22/14 04:05 PM, darkjam wrote: So I'm presuming we can also talk about manga, if not then my apologies.
Of course. I dunno the answer to your question, though. I just used to get manga at Borders, but the only thing I collected was Berserk. I never bought anything else, and I stopped when I realized how far Miura was from completing it.

Do you think Miura will ever finish it before he drops dead? I mean there are manga authors who never got around to finish it so there are some concerns in regards to him and the person working on Guyver.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 23rd, 2014 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 3/22/14 10:40 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 3/22/14 05:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Do you think Miura will ever finish it before he drops dead? I mean there are manga authors who never got around to finish it so there are some concerns in regards to him and the person working on Guyver.

I've wondered that for years because I've heard he's had health problems. He's not even 50, but the first volume came out in Japan 24 years ago and some of the release dates of the following volumes have been pretty far apart. He's never released more than two a year and starting in 2007, it hasn't been more than one. In 2012, no new volume was released. I don't know what frequency of releases is common for manga, but those books aren't long, so who knows how much longer it will be or if he even ever finishes it, because while I haven't followed what's happened in later volumes, I hear there's still no sign of it reaching an end.

And I didn't know the Guyver wasn't finished. Shit, if a comic can drag 5 years longer with 7 fewer volumes, that doesn't make me optimistic. I actually just started watching the OVAs last week, which are pretty entertaining. Never seen the 2005 series.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 23rd, 2014 @ 10:21 AM Reply

At 3/22/14 04:05 PM, darkjam wrote: who knows where I can buy manga box sets without spending an arm and a leg?

I've seen a few on Amazon. Depends on your definition of "an arm and a leg" though. Here's some links to a few of the box sets I've spotted on Amazon UK.

Death Note - 13 volumes, £50
One Piece - 23 volumes, £100
Fullmetal Alchemist - 27 volumes, £150

I know these box sets exist because they've tempted me in the past, but I'm pretty sure the One Piece box set was cheaper a while back and the FMA box set was definitely cheaper. About £50 cheaper.

I'm someone who'd prefer to buy box sets when possible, but I'm not really willing to spend £100+ on a box of books. Probably way cheaper than getting the volumes individually though.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 23rd, 2014 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 3/23/14 10:21 AM, Dean wrote: I've seen a few on Amazon. Depends on your definition of "an arm and a leg" though. Here's some links to a few of the box sets I've spotted on Amazon UK.

about 200 would be and arm and a leg for me.

Death Note - 13 volumes, £50
One Piece - 23 volumes, £100
Fullmetal Alchemist - 27 volumes, £150

Wow I didn't even think about searching for Death Note, thanks Dean.

I'm someone who'd prefer to buy box sets when possible, but I'm not really willing to spend £100+ on a box of books. Probably way cheaper than getting the volumes individually though.

I thought that, but I just added up all the DBZ manga's (1-26) and it's about the same price as the RRP for a box set.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Mar. 25th, 2014 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 3/23/14 08:04 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: And I didn't know the Guyver wasn't finished. Shit, if a comic can drag 5 years longer with 7 fewer volumes, that doesn't make me optimistic. I actually just started watching the OVAs last week, which are pretty entertaining. Never seen the 2005 series.

I think the 2005 series was better overall and covers more of the story (although the end still leaves a bunch of stuff up in the air like the OVAs) but the OVAs will always be special to me as they were the first anime I ever saw.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Mar. 26th, 2014 @ 04:00 PM Reply

So I was all like: "Do I like Hatsune Miku?"
And Playstation was like "Yeah you do" and I impulse bought Project Diva F.
And then thought to myself "Yeah I guess I do."
I beat it. Worlds end dance hall is probably my favorite track from the game if not one of my favorites.

Anyway, im watching Samurai Champloo and Spice & Wolf again, I didn't make it far in either and decided to continue. I made it up to episode 2 on Samurai Champloo, now on episode 8. I haven't picked up Spice and Wolf again yet but I plan to. I left off on episode 2 as well.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Mar. 26th, 2014 @ 07:40 PM Reply

At 3/25/14 12:19 PM, SomaGuye wrote: I think the 2005 series was better overall and covers more of the story (although the end still leaves a bunch of stuff up in the air like the OVAs) but the OVAs will always be special to me as they were the first anime I ever saw.

I think the 2005 series is on Hulu for free. If I'm right, I'll probably watch it after the OVAs. I like them so far. These kind of silly violent '80s/early '90s anime usually entertain me.

At 3/26/14 04:00 PM, sweet21 wrote: Anyway, im watching Samurai Champloo and Spice & Wolf again, I didn't make it far in either and decided to continue. I made it up to episode 2 on Samurai Champloo, now on episode 8. I haven't picked up Spice and Wolf again yet but I plan to. I left off on episode 2 as well.

I dunno how you can't be hooked immediately watching Samurai Champloo.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Mar. 26th, 2014 @ 07:58 PM Reply

I finally sat down and watched the final season of YuYu Hakusho. It's good to finally see how it ended.

I also went ahead and watched through GunXSword. That one kept me entertained. I watched a couple of other things but none worth mentioning, really.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 26th, 2014 @ 10:40 PM Reply

rewatching all of the Gundams in the Universal Century (Amuro and Char) all the way to Unicorn its a real pain in the ass to find complete season dubs of a few and the ones they never released because Bandai bailed out of North America. so I have been having to download them.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 26th, 2014 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 3/26/14 10:40 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: rewatching all of the Gundams in the Universal Century (Amuro and Char) all the way to Unicorn its a real pain in the ass to find complete season dubs of a few and the ones they never released because Bandai bailed out of North America. so I have been having to download them.

Don't forget about "Victory Gundam", the latest part of the UC canon where Tomino was at his lowest point and it shows. Got to love how the rescue operation in episode 36 turns out.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 27th, 2014 @ 01:55 AM Reply

At 3/26/14 11:02 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Don't forget about "Victory Gundam", the latest part of the UC canon where Tomino was at his lowest point and it shows. Got to love how the rescue operation in episode 36 turns out.

actually thats gundam unicorn for the UC.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 27th, 2014 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 3/27/14 01:55 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 3/26/14 11:02 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Don't forget about "Victory Gundam", the latest part of the UC canon where Tomino was at his lowest point and it shows. Got to love how the rescue operation in episode 36 turns out.
actually thats gundam unicorn for the UC.

I meant chronologically.

However, between the two, it makes you wonder how much technology seems to be lost since the Gundams in Victory seems weaker than the previous ones.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 27th, 2014 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 3/27/14 01:05 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: I meant chronologically.

if you want chrono order in UC then its G savior in 150 something

However, between the two, it makes you wonder how much technology seems to be lost since the Gundams in Victory seems weaker than the previous ones.

yeah its like Star Wars in the prequels everything is overpowered, and in the original trilogy everything is weaker and clunky.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 27th, 2014 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 3/27/14 03:16 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 3/27/14 01:05 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: I meant chronologically.
if you want chrono order in UC then its G savior in 150 something

It depends on whether anyone want to acknowledge G Savior, too bad it was poorly handled.

yeah its like Star Wars in the prequels everything is overpowered, and in the original trilogy everything is weaker and clunky.

Not to mention "Char's Counterattack" where they still have psychoframes and fin funnels, what happen to those in V Gundam? The Earth Federation really hit rock bottom in the late UC era.

Also Uso did seem to come off as proto-Shinji at certain times.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Anime Club Mar. 27th, 2014 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 3/27/14 08:16 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: It depends on whether anyone want to acknowledge G Savior, too bad it was poorly handled.

I acknowledge it

Not to mention "Char's Counterattack" where they still have psychoframes and fin funnels, what happen to those in V Gundam? The Earth Federation really hit rock bottom in the late UC era.

I loved Chars counter attack originally Char and Amuro are KIA by light novel source material. but yeah I want to know what happened to psycho frames and Mobile armors.

Also Uso did seem to come off as proto-Shinji at certain times.

a shinji comparison is a high insult to anime characters. HOW DARE YOU SIR!