MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 12/18/11 12:09 PM, Gendo wrote:
At 12/18/11 12:05 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Also, how are you playing Idolmaster2? I mean not that anyone on newgrounds would care about girly weeaboo games.
PS3 port.

Ahh right, PS3 has no Region Lock. I Dun forgot about that one.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 03:10 PM Reply

I watched another Lupin the Third movie, Burn, Zantetsuken! a.k.a Dragon of Doom. It was awesome, though the ending with Goemon jumping back and forth from the plane to the stealth bomber was pretty silly. That's Lupin for you, though. And that part was still badass, despite it's silliness.

Of all the Lupin movies I've seen so far, I'd rank them in this order...

Castle of Cagliostro
Secret of Mamo
Return of Pycal
Fuma Conspiracy
Burn, Zantetsuken!

I have yet to see a Lupin movie that I didn't love. I have several more to watch, though.

At 12/17/11 10:11 AM, Mendou wrote: Currently watching Freedom right now.

I've been wanting to see that. I intend to buy the DVD set. I've also been meaning to watch Megazone 23.

At 12/17/11 03:34 PM, Tramps wrote: I'm back, yo. Got an urge to watch a new series so thought I'd start with one of the most widely-acclaimed ones of all-time; Cowboy Bebop.

took you long enough. It's one of the best shows ever, animated or not. I think the first episode is actually one of the best, along with Pierrot le Fou and Mushroom Hunting.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Dec. 18th, 2011 @ 04:47 PM Reply

the first ep of bebop is the one with like the mexican antonio banderas type stuff right? That shit was awesome, him just standing there in his poncho dodging everything, i loved it

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 01:33 AM Reply

I gonna change subject to ao no exorcist

one of the best anime series ever I recommend it

the op is in my sig (core pride)

Get lyrically fit!!!!
Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:58 AM Reply

Cowboy Bebop spoiler trolling.

My god, this club is like stuck in an absurd vacuum of irrelevance.

But yeah uhhh, anime and stuff.

I'm behind on everything I was following 'cause I got lazy, so I should probably start catching up soon-ish.

RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 04:10 AM Reply

just finished watching Gurren Lagann. I am beyond words right now

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 12/13/11 08:19 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 12/13/11 07:12 PM, towelie101 wrote:
At 12/13/11 05:57 PM, SomaGuye wrote: This ep of Chihayafuru was so good, man it was just so good.
How is the show anyway? Never bothered with it.
I love it. A tale about friendship and dedication told through a traditional Japanese card game. It's just nice to watch I guess, it's easy for me to feel for the characters.

After watching the first two episodes, I can see what you mean. It's got me hooked already.

Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 12/19/11 10:24 AM, Tramps wrote: I'm on ep 20 of 26 of Cowboy Bebop and I'm struggling to see an ending in sight. I can't tell if episodes are relevant to the main story or there are just some fillers here and there. Most episodes seem to finish without an immediate conclusion like when they found the videotape of Faye.

I think your definition of "story" needs some work.

Bebop isn't really about linearity or spelling out the narrative. Like yeah, there's a central plot with a beginning, middle and end, but plenty of other things are going on between all that and their resolutions/lack thereof mean a ton to how the characters (and, by extension, the world they occupy) develops.

Also, really, going on the "Bebop as masterpiece" thing, it's a matter of aesthetics and context. Most people remember it for the music and the direction more than they do the writing. It's got a handful of really brilliant moments of verbal storytelling, but it's the visual storytelling where it sets itself apart from everything else. It's also, y'know, a show from 1998 and if you don't allow it room as a piece of antiquity (I.E. not exactly comparable in many ways to modern programming), what makes it so great is a lot easier to see.

MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 03:58 AM, Gendo wrote:
My god, this entire website is like stuck in an absurd vacuum of irrelevance.

Fixed that for you. It needed correction.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 10:24 AM, Tramps wrote: I'm on ep 20 of 26 of Cowboy Bebop and I'm struggling to see an ending in sight. I can't tell if episodes are relevant to the main story or there are just some fillers here and there. Most episodes seem to finish without an immediate conclusion like when they found the videotape of Faye.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/episodic

you don't need an overarching plot for a stunning show.

Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 02:55 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: you don't need an overarching plot for a stunning show.

This is something I wish more people would take to heart with both producing and analyzing anime.

Anime is, in the purest terms, ostensibly no different from any other sort of narrative fiction on television. This obsession with "one big story" that both those who make anime and those who consume it seem to have confuses and annoys me as a fan of the craft of television. The format lends itself so much better to concise, short-form storytelling.

I find this especially bothersome because so many series wear out things that could be potentially interesting ideas by dragging them out to agonizing lengths instead of restricting the flow of an arc to only a handful of episodes and then moving onto something different.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 05:31 PM Reply

What would people say was more popular this year? Steins;Gate or Puella Magi Madoka Magicka/Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka?

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 05:36 PM Reply

The hype at the time of paella magi madoka magica was uncomparable at the time, but s;g's had a bigger lasting impact for me at least IMO

Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 05:31 PM, BumFodder wrote: What would people say was more popular this year? Steins;Gate or Puella Magi Madoka Magicka/Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka?

Don't really get what the point of this question is, but they were both tremendously popular and for rather different reasons.

Madoka was certainly more broadly popular, but Steins;Gate seems to have a more fervent, enduring fandom (especially in English-speaking countries).

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 05:36 PM, Gendo wrote: Don't really get what the point of this question is, but they were both tremendously popular and for rather different reasons.

Someone asked and I wanted a second opinion.

Madoka was certainly more broadly popular, but Steins;Gate seems to have a more fervent, enduring fandom (especially in English-speaking countries).

I was thinking down those lines.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 01:33 AM, Devilshadow666 wrote: I gonna change subject to ao no exorcist

one of the best anime series ever I recommend it

Umm, no it's only slightly better than average, there's nothing particularly spectacular about it at all, in fact if I weren't interested religious mythology I probably wouldn't have bothered watching it.

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 06:50 PM Reply

At 12/19/11 05:31 PM, BumFodder wrote: What would people say was more popular this year? Steins;Gate or Puella Magi Madoka Magicka/Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka?

beelzebub is a underrated series

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 19th, 2011 @ 11:37 PM Reply

Don't you love it when the computer is a cheating bitch? It's my second game of hanafuda, and it's already raped me this hard.

Anime Club

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Shit will fuck you up man...

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 01:13 AM, Finalfina wrote: Shit will fuck you up man...

Both the OP and ED of Ano Hana fuck me up more. Especially the ED.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 12/18/11 04:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: the first ep of bebop is the one with like the mexican antonio banderas type stuff right? That shit was awesome, him just standing there in his poncho dodging everything, i loved it

Yeah, it's the one with the red-eye addict. It was super awesome. The only ones that top it are Pierrot le Fou and Mushroom hunting, in my opinion. Well, I guess there's also Jupiter Jazz one and two and the last episode. I'm not sure whether I like those more or the first episode.

At 12/19/11 03:58 AM, Gendo wrote: Cowboy Bebop spoiler trolling.

I wonder if Kermit got banned for that. He's such a spamming, trolling, dickhole.

I'm behind on everything I was following 'cause I got lazy, so I should probably start catching up soon-ish.

It's the same with me. I still haven't finished Golgo 13 or Hundred Stories, which are both excellent shows.

At 12/19/11 04:10 AM, RandomRoarness wrote: just finished watching Gurren Lagann. I am beyond words right now

I stopped watching after

SPOILER!!!!

Kamina died. I know it's an important part of the plot and character development of Simon and blah blah. I don't care. He was cooler than Simon.

At 12/19/11 10:24 AM, Tramps wrote: I was kind of the same with Death Note.

Death Note turned into shit after a while. That show is overrated, and Light is a dick. L should have lived and been the one to catch Light.

At 12/19/11 01:04 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Fixed that for you. It needed correction.

what? But there's so much awesome flash.

At 12/19/11 03:11 PM, Gendo wrote: This obsession with "one big story"

I didn't think there was any obsession with that. I guess I just didn't notice. I mean, there's lots of great shows that are nothing but standalone episodes like Lupin III and Shin Chan.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
MrMeD
MrMeD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 20th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 12/20/11 10:20 PM, Tramps wrote:
At 12/20/11 02:25 PM, Tramps wrote: What the fuck just happened.
This is in response to the last episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Things happened and people died.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Bang.

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 03:11 AM Reply

so you guys have a favorite pervert character?

happosai and tomoki

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 03:16 AM Reply

So it turns out the secret Madoka project was/is an MMO.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkay.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 07:35 AM Reply

The good times couldn't last forever man. They couldn't just patrol the solar system as best of buddies forever.

Onett
Onett
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 08:58 AM Reply

Just Gainax's 'Wings of Honneamise' a second viewing a few days back. My god it's worthy of being in my top 5 if I had to make one out for someone. Just remarkably profound and human with it's themes and subtlety. I could probably watch it whenever and never be tired of it, there's just so much you can pick up on multiple viewings.

Nice little montage at the end that reminds me of something straight out of 2001 as well.

Gainax used to craft some of the most moving pieces of animation, or at least, very engaging ones. Shame how they've fallen since then.

Highly recommended, go check it out.

Your past will catch up to you, no matter what.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 12/21/11 11:01 AM, Tramps wrote: but I wanted some kind of definitive ending.

No you don't.

Now you're free to imagine that Spike survived and went and reunited with all his buds and did continue surfing round the solar system having fun. If they did give a definitive ending I guarantee it would be the opposite of that, but they've given you the option of imagining a happy ending.

KermitTheMuppet
KermitTheMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 09:26 PM Reply

Can't we all just agree that Cowboy Bebop is an overblown, incoherent mess of a show that might as well be the equivalent to a modern show on the lines of Hellsing?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE THE COWBOY?!

KermitTheMuppet
KermitTheMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Dec. 21st, 2011 @ 09:41 PM Reply

Also, Spike Spiegel is a boring dork. There are way too many shonen shows with BROODING BOUNTY HUNTERS, or WACKY BUT BROODING BOUNTY HUNTERS in the likes of the awful Vash the Stampede. Trigun is another example of a hugely unfunny and not entertaining show that gets too much credit.

Its obvious they were ripping off Saeba from City Hunter, so they can both smoke each others' dicks in the back of the production room.

Anime Club