00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,794,573 Views | 59,815 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-22 19:24:45

At 12/22/12 12:00 PM, zmatt007 wrote: For anyone thats watched Hellsing Ultimate, how do you think he keeps all of his hair concealed? He takes off his hat and it looks so short, but when he changes into his black suit a hug jet black line of hair just rockets out from his head >->

It's just part of the transformation.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-22 19:46:35

At 12/20/12 03:35 PM, sweet21 wrote: im liking the first few episodes of Naruto so far. The uncut ones aired recently. Im on the third episode. I dont get why people dont like it.

Every anime like that starts off great. It's all comedy with a little action and getting to know the characters.

A hundred episodes later, it's all monotone action and drama and trying to be badass.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-23 18:16:09

Does anyone know if there is a reliable site that hosts manga chapters? I've gotten into a couple animes whose story arcs are way behind their mangas', so I'd like to read the rest of the story.

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-23 21:12:36

At 12/23/12 06:16 PM, PWJP wrote: Does anyone know if there is a reliable site that hosts manga chapters? I've gotten into a couple animes whose story arcs are way behind their mangas', so I'd like to read the rest of the story.

Eatmanga and Mangareader are pretty good

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 00:17:01

I hate Naruto.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 14:12:02

At 12/24/12 12:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I hate Naruto.

This.

Because it is part of the "Big 3" {Naruto, Bleach, One Piece} of Shonen Jump, it's popularity is virtually high for all the wrong reasons, and I guess in the creator's minds, that's more than enough reason to keep on milking the series to the point where it's just gotten stale. You could pretty much make the same argument for most of the other Shonen Jump titles, but I dare say that the "Big 3" of Shonen Jump has been milked, and that milk has been sour years ago.

As for the character, well, I find him annoying to no end, and I'll leave it at that.

Ninja Scroll and Black Lion are much better alternatives of ninja action, and the latter has robots with heavy machine guns, can't go wrong with that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 14:50:58

I've been watch Eureka 7 since about episode 7. Its in its 18th already and though I like it the biggest question I have still looms. What is the importance of the clouds? All they do is surf...but with clouds in robot suits. They dont seem to do anything other than that but the military is after them, presumabely because the military wants to surf to but the main characters are taking all the good waves or something.

Thats cool and all but they're killing each other over it. So theres more to these clouds, clearly, but I cant watch the previous episodes and nobody seems to give a damn enough to hint or explain anything, and wikipedia isnt very useful. Can anyone fill me in?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 16:24:20

At 12/24/12 02:12 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 12/24/12 12:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I
Because it is part of the "Big 3" {Naruto, Bleach, One Piece} of Shonen Jump, it's popularity is virtually high for all the wrong reasons, and I guess in the creator's minds, that's more than enough reason to keep on milking the series to the point where it's just gotten stale. You could pretty much make the same argument for most of the other Shonen Jump titles, but I dare say that the "Big 3" of Shonen Jump has been milked, and that milk has been sour years ago.

A lot of people accuse these 3 of "milking" because they're so popular and have gone on for so long, but I disagree, I think the stories are still interesting and as long as that is the case they can go on for as long as they want to. What I would call milking are, for example, film series like Home alone or Rocky where they use the same formula everytime and there's no significant story progress, yet they keep/kept making them because it's sure money.

Ninja Scroll and Black Lion are much better alternatives of ninja action, and the latter has robots with heavy machine guns, can't go wrong with that.

Ninja Scroll, the first film is really good. Black Lion was pretty good but the story sucked, at least in the OVA I watched, I can't find the manga. I think Naruto is however the definitive Ninja manga.

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 17:24:42

At 12/24/12 04:24 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 12/24/12 12:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I think Naruto is however the definitive Ninja manga.

I wouldn't say that. Basilisk is better and it's not even that great of a manga.

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 18:33:58

At 12/24/12 05:24 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I wouldn't say that. Basilisk is better and it's not even that great of a manga.

I think Basilisk gets a lot of undeserved hate. It was a decent action anime. And a lot of people seem to think that Ninja Scroll is overrated, but I think that movie is awesome.

Black Lion is okay. I feel like it was unfinished, though. That ending came out of nowhere and it just ended so abruptly.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-24 22:36:11

At 12/24/12 04:24 PM, DeIirium wrote:
At 12/24/12 12:17 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Black Lion was pretty good but the story sucked, at least in the OVA I watched, I can't find the manga.

Black Lion wasn't really known for having any sort of plot, more so than the over-the-top elements and action. If I remember correctly, Black Lion was supposed to be a series, but their funding got cut, and couldn't make a profit beyond the OVA. For a Go Nagai production, this one basically bombed in Japan, and wasn't much better everywhere else, though I'm not 100% certain on that part.

I really did feel like this one could've worked out, but I guess this is one of those anime that couldn't get off the ground, after the first episode at least.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-25 03:00:25

At 12/24/12 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/24/12 05:24 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I wouldn't say that. Basilisk is better and it's not even that great of a manga.
I think Basilisk gets a lot of undeserved hate. It was a decent action anime.

I agree, it is a good series. I was just remarking on that fact that ninja manga are, generally, mediocre. If you really want to read a manga about feudal japan i'd recommend Vagabond or Shigurui. In my experience samurai stories tend to be a lot better than ninja stuff for whatever reason.

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-25 20:17:10

got some anime for Christmas

Armitage: Dual Matrix
Ergo Proxy
Shin Chan season 3 part 2

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-25 21:14:53

I got a special edition of the first volume of the manga Bastard!!, a series which I have thought about starting to read. It has HR.Giger and Frank Frazetta inspired bonus illustrations which are really cool.

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-27 07:57:12

So a couple of weeks ago I was suggested to check out Haruhi. I find the whole time traveling concept really exciting so I went out and brought The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya collection for $30 off Ebay.
Should be here within the week so I am hoping that in whole it turns out to be a really good anime.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-27 13:06:41

At 12/25/12 09:14 PM, DeIirium wrote: I got a special edition of the first volume of the manga Bastard!!, a series which I have thought about starting to read. It has HR.Giger and Frank Frazetta inspired bonus illustrations which are really cool.

I wish the OVA series was finished. It didn't have an ending. It was pretty neat. It reminded me of Heavy Metal.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-27 17:38:29

I just finished watching Sword Art Online... Absolutely amazing first half... In comparison, the second half was kind of lame... I mean, it was good for what it was.. but comparing it to the first half, it kind of dropped the ball.

Still totally worth the watch though. I might actually pick up the light novel and give it a read.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2012-12-28 23:17:39

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-03 21:59:59

At 12/28/12 11:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: fuckin' A. one of the dumbest animes ever.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608382

The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-03 23:07:28

At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote:
At 12/28/12 11:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: fuckin' A. one of the dumbest animes ever.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/608382
The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

Have you seen Beyblade? It's really really really bad, even for a kid's show.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-04 19:12:05

At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. This. This is nothing.

Is that the one that has CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES? Because if so then I agree, it is beyond atrocious. It's as if the creators were like "Hey, how can we shock and scare away more people with a show than we already did with GX?" "DO THE SAME BUT INTRODUCE MOTORCYCLES!" "BAM! Perfect! Beautiful! Cut, edit and ship another container full of trading cards to the US"
The first YGO wasn't very good but compared to that and GX...at least we got stuff like YGOTAS out of that. But otherwise good god.

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-04 19:23:20

At 1/4/13 05:46 PM, Austerity wrote:
At 1/3/13 09:59 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote:
The latest Yugioh is without a doubt the worst thing I have ever seen in my life.
There's a NG user who voices one of the characters on that show.

Its D-man-double

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-04 21:20:24

Currently watching this.

Laughing my spleen out.

Fans of perverted humour will find it hilarious. And it's surprisingly well-drawn too, considering it's only apparent intention is juvenile sex jokes.

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-04 21:25:15

Welp, I keep buying weeaboo shit, not really watching any thing.... oh wait, watched the first episode of Sword Art Online. It's neat.... gotta see how it progresses

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-05 04:43:07

At 1/4/13 09:25 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Welp, I keep buying weeaboo shit, not really watching any thing.... oh wait, watched the first episode of Sword Art Online. It's neat.... gotta see how it progresses

I really didn't like SAO

It's shonen fun at first but after a certain point it just becomes insufferable and i'm sure if you continue long enough you'll see what point I am talking about.

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-05 22:10:26

I really didn't like SAO

It's shonen fun at first but after a certain point it just becomes insufferable and i'm sure if you continue long enough you'll see what point I am talking about.

Instead of watching SAO i watched Madoka Magica....I think i did the right thing

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-06 16:33:34

Anyone feel like helping me out? Bought an anime movie for £2.50 on impulse, Highlander: Search For Vengeance. Only bought it because it's meant to be the only good thing in the Highlander franchise aside from the original film, and I like the original film. Anyway, I've been thinking I might start buying some anime DVDs since I've been watching DVDs a lot more regularly recently.

Any opinions on the following series?

Tokko
Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King
Ouran High School Host Club
High School of the Dead
Noein
Claymore
Trigun

I list those ones because I can pick them up fairly cheap. They're all < £10 for the complete sets with the exception of Trigun which is over double that but it does also look like the one I'd be most into. Ouran High School Host Club doesn't look like something I'd be into at first glance, but there must be more to it, seeing as it seems pretty well regarded in reviews.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-06 16:39:44

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: Any opinions on the following series?
High School of the Dead

I personally hate it, but if you like zombie stuff, aren't bothered by the massive amounts of fanservice and can get past the melodrama, then maybe, MAYBE you'll like it. I don't really recommend it though.

Trigun

It's great, you should really get it. Probably the only good time anime gave the wild west (although it's not COMPLETELY wild west-y) genre a good treatment.

Unfortunately those are the only two in your list that I've watched.

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-06 16:48:15

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: High School of the Dead

The level of fanservice is ridiculous, but the action is quite entertaining. It's worth a look. A lot of people hate on it, but I just wonder what said people were expecting from a show called High School of the Dead, especially after seeing previews.

Claymore

I only saw the first two episodes, but it seems promising.

Trigun

That's an awesome show, even though Vash's rule against killing does get to a downright silly level considering certain situations he gets in. The movie is good, too, and the quality of the artwork is actually better than the show.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-01-06 17:02:42

At 1/6/13 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: Ouran High School Host Club

Funny, endearing, definitely worth a watch

High School of the Dead

It's just fanservice really. It's not awful but it's pretty much just swinging breasts and some zombie shooting which is more than enough for some people i'm sure.

Claymore

I read the manga so I don't know how good the anime is as an adaptation but if it's any bit as good it's worth watching.

Trigun

I couldn't really get into Trigun. I know it's a pretty popular entry level show but I just didn't really get into it.