New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 18:52:31 Reply

At 5/4/10 02:19 PM, orangebomb wrote: Right now, I'm watching more old-school anime from the 70s to the early 90s. Other than some of the obvious ones out there, or the ones I listed, any suggestions?

I'm not really sure what not to include. Would Akira and Lupin III be among the "obvious ones"?

Roujin Z
Neo Tokyo
Vampire Hunter D
the Professional: Golgo 13
Battle Angel
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Violence Jack
BAOH
Crying Freeman
Angel Cop
Mad Bull 34

lot of cheese and sleaze in there

And Mellowlink seems kinda cool. I watched the first episode. might continue with that.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 19:48:22 Reply

At 5/4/10 06:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 5/4/10 02:19 PM, orangebomb wrote: Right now, I'm watching more old-school anime from the 70s to the early 90s. Other than some of the obvious ones out there, or the ones I listed, any suggestions?
I'm not really sure what not to include. Would Akira and Lupin III be among the "obvious ones"?

I have seen Akira before around 7 or 8 years ago, but I suppose I'll watch it again, considering the one I saw it the first time dubbed rather than subbed, and it's a timeless classic.

Similar thing with Lupin III, and I'll watch it again. Speaking of which, I heard rumors that they're going to make a live action movie of Lupin III, Is this true?

Roujin Z
Neo Tokyo
Vampire Hunter D
the Professional: Golgo 13
Battle Angel
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Violence Jack
BAOH
Crying Freeman
Angel Cop
Mad Bull 34

lot of cheese and sleaze in there

I have heard of Violence Jack and Vampire Hunter D, but never seen any episodes. I'll be sure to check them all out when I get the chance.
And maybe get M.D Geist on DVD, even though many people think it's godawful, I thought it was decent.

And Mellowlink seems kinda cool. I watched the first episode. might continue with that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
RadRobert
RadRobert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 19:49:13 Reply

I recommend...

Lucky Star
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumyia
Ouran High School Host Club
xxxHoLiC
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

This is your anime reporter, signing off!

Pokemon White FC: Emmet-2623 3152 7400 | My Youtube

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 20:12:24 Reply

At 5/4/10 07:48 PM, orangebomb wrote: And maybe get M.D Geist on DVD, even though many people think it's godawful, I thought it was decent.

I kinda liked the design of the guy's mech, but I didn't care for the anime. Though, since you liked that there's a good chance you'll like the cheesy stuff on my list.

BBS Signature
Zakkles
Zakkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 20:30:11 Reply

Okay, I need an anime like Code Geass except it has a better romance plot.

Also, a modern-ish war anime. No mecha please, I've seen enough to last me a lifetime.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 21:59:35 Reply

What's everyone's opinion on Blood: The Last Vampire? It seems to be rather popular. Been thinking of picking it up.

At 5/4/10 08:30 PM, Zakkles wrote: Okay, I need an anime like Code Geass except it has a better romance plot.

I've unfortunately yet to see Code Geass. But as far as romance Anime goes, I've never come across a better series than Kanon.

Zakkles
Zakkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-04 22:09:32 Reply

At 5/4/10 09:59 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: What's everyone's opinion on Blood: The Last Vampire? It seems to be rather popular. Been thinking of picking it up.

At 5/4/10 08:30 PM, Zakkles wrote: Okay, I need an anime like Code Geass except it has a better romance plot.
I've unfortunately yet to see Code Geass. But as far as romance Anime goes, I've never come across a better series than Kanon.

Well, if you like romantic, but action-ish animes with huge war storylines, then Code Geass is one you should get. It's a little bit of a thinker(In my opinion, at least.) But yeah, I heard that Kanon was good. I'll check it out, seeing as I have yet to restart Samurai Champloo.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-05 10:10:13 Reply

At 5/4/10 09:59 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: What's everyone's opinion on Blood: The Last Vampire? It seems to be rather popular. Been thinking of picking it up.

It's pretty cool. very short. could be better. dunno why it was made into a live action movie.

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-05 22:13:33 Reply

Has anyone here ever watched Hanada Shounen-shi?
Is it any good?
I saw a few screenshots from it and thought "Hmmm, above-average accurate depictions of nudity... I might be onto something!" Am I?

Anime Club

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.
Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-05 22:25:38 Reply

At 5/4/10 09:59 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: I've never come across a better series than Kanon.

I found Kanon to be the worst of the Kyoto Animation shows that I've seen.

Their other 'romance' series are better, I think. Clannad and Air.

I just never really got into Kanon. The 'sad' parts of the show just felt forced to me, and the 'funny' parts were mostly typical anime humour, which I mostly don't like.

Air had a similar funny part - sad part structure (aside from the rather bizarre turn it takes in the second half), but I felt it did that better. The characters (aside from the main girl) were less annoying.

Clannad was just funnier, and didn't try and force the 'tearjerker' moments as much. They felt more natural. Though, again, the main girl was very annoying.

I don't know what it is about KyoAni, and their deciding that the worst relationship in a visual novel is going to be the canon one. I mean, who wouldn't want the canon relationship of Kanon (oh god) to be the incestual one?

Anyway, bottom line: Clannad and Air were better than Kanon. I'd recommend them. Clannad moreso.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
KermitTheMuppet
KermitTheMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-05 22:51:56 Reply

Hey guys, I have been curious as to why many people claim that a series is often only watchable in the japanese dub in contrast to the english dub of an anime movie or series. I find that there really are cases where a series is much better in english and fitting. A good example is DBZ as the main cast's voice actors seem very inappropriate and difficult to appreciate given the theme of the series aswell as the circumstances.

I also saw the ending for sailor moon sailor stars today and was left feeling... very satisfied and a bit unsatisfied with the ending. Classic series non the less, and I shall be watching it again soon.

HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-06 00:25:04 Reply

At 5/5/10 10:51 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Hey guys, I have been curious as to why many people claim that a series is often only watchable in the japanese dub in contrast to the english dub of an anime movie or series. I find that there really are cases where a series is much better in english and fitting. A good example is DBZ as the main cast's voice actors seem very inappropriate and difficult to appreciate given the theme of the series aswell as the circumstances.

It varies. Sometimes producers are dumbasses and cast bottom-of-the-barrel voices for characters. I personally cared for some of the English voices better than the Japanese ones in Azumanga Daioh (especially Mr. Kimura and Chiyo). On the other end of the spectrum, however, the English dub cast for Kaleido Star was the pits. Sora was downright annoying, Layla was too much of a snob and Ken sounded waaaaaay too old, just to name a few.
I also couldn't understand why they cast a human being as Jonathan (the seal). They could've just used recordings of an actual seal's voice; it would have been MUCH more enjoyable that way.

I also saw the ending for sailor moon sailor stars today and was left feeling... very satisfied and a bit unsatisfied with the ending. Classic series non the less, and I shall be watching it again soon.

Damn, I never got very far with the anime. I did see some of the musicals, however, and was marginally amused at what I found.

Anime Club

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-06 03:42:16 Reply

At 5/5/10 10:51 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: I find that there really are cases where a series is much better in english and fitting.

Jokes tend to work better when you're hearing them, rather than reading them, so if the voice acting is decent a comedy anime will likely be better in English.

And then there are things like Cowboy Bebop where the English language voice actors are legitimately better in every way. Except Ed.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-06 09:40:49 Reply

At 5/5/10 10:29 PM, korg53 wrote:

Korg hungry! KORG WANT EAT!

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-06 20:15:07 Reply

At 5/5/10 10:29 PM, korg53 wrote: -Dragon Ball Kai

I was pretty surprised to see advertisements for DBZ on Nickelodeon. I liked hearing the hype "Will Goku be able to save the world from destruction!?" Knowing completely how things will turn out from watching the series some 10 years ago on Cartoon Network.

Deleric
Deleric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-06 23:19:58 Reply

At 5/6/10 08:15 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote:
At 5/5/10 10:29 PM, korg53 wrote: -Dragon Ball Kai
I was pretty surprised to see advertisements for DBZ on Nickelodeon. I liked hearing the hype "Will Goku be able to save the world from destruction!?" Knowing completely how things will turn out from watching the series some 10 years ago on Cartoon Network.

I don't know any kids around NOT DBZ WTF age, so no joys of spoiling for me.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 00:13:49 Reply

At 5/6/10 08:15 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: I was pretty surprised to see advertisements for DBZ on Nickelodeon. I liked hearing the hype "Will Goku be able to save the world from destruction!?" Knowing completely how things will turn out from watching the series some 10 years ago on Cartoon Network.

Man, it's Dragon Ball Z.

You should know how things turn out anyway.

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 00:37:36 Reply

At 5/6/10 11:19 PM, Deleric wrote: I don't know any kids around NOT DBZ WTF age, so no joys of spoiling for me.

Goku kills Aeris.

Deleric
Deleric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 18:27:11 Reply

At 5/7/10 04:49 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/7/10 12:13 AM, Aigis wrote: Man, it's Dragon Ball Z.

You should know how things turn out anyway.
Hair turns yellow and pointy?

"It was a hot Namekian summer day, and I was watching a fight between two saiyans I had no affiliation with, and I had a feeling I was going to receive a summoning from Guru soon..."

BBS Signature
KermitTheMuppet
KermitTheMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 20:21:35 Reply

Is it true that Super Sonic is a rip off of Super Sayians?

Anime Club

HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 22:07:58 Reply

At 5/7/10 08:21 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Is it true that Super Sonic is a rip off of Super Sayians?

It's more of an homage than a ripoff.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Death
Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-07 23:13:52 Reply

At 5/7/10 10:37 PM, korg53 wrote: Gantz: the Movie.
Just suffer.

because every one of us can read japanese.

I find it funny how all the DBZ talk is going on now, considering I bought two of the digitally remastered box sets this week. they have been swallowing my life whole since i bought them. hopefully I will be finished soon.

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-09 12:41:24 Reply

At 5/9/10 12:12 PM, LaForge wrote:
Just suffer.
I could never get into Gantz. I started watching it a couple years ago but the plot and characters were just too weird for me. I know, it's anime, but still, the guns were like bubble shooters that shot lazors. I know, it's anime...

The anime version of Gantz is lame. The manga is far superior.
Bubble shooters that shoot lasers? There's no such thing. The guns send some kind of wave that makes enemies explode from the inside.

As for that movie, it might turn out good like the Detroit metal city film, or bad like the Death note films.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-09 13:21:51 Reply

Just suffer.
I could never get into Gantz.

I didn't think Gantz was very good and I hated Kei Kurono, and his whiny dub voice made him worse (though I never heard it subbed before so maybe its just as bad). And the ending is like "fuck you for watching this". However, some of the action is kinda neat.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-09 16:10:18 Reply

At 5/9/10 01:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Just suffer.
I could never get into Gantz.
I didn't think Gantz was very good and I hated Kei Kurono, and his whiny dub voice made him worse (though I never heard it subbed before so maybe its just as bad). And the ending is like "fuck you for watching this". However, some of the action is kinda neat.

It wouldn't be so bad if the pacing is so goddamn slow. In Episode 2, Kaito is debating on why he should kill an alien that chopped up 4 or 5 people and is just standing there like some deadhead. The little standoff took so long, I'd went out, made some sandwiches, and when I came back, Kaito was crying a river and the alien was still standing there, doing nothing.

The manga is clearly superior, the anime is a gory, boob-filled train wreck.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
KermitTheMuppet
KermitTheMuppet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-09 18:24:38 Reply

Why isn't Avatar: The Last Airbender, Totally Spies, Martin Mystery or Kappa Mikey not considered anime?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-09 18:55:59 Reply

At 5/9/10 04:10 PM, orangebomb wrote: It wouldn't be so bad if the pacing is so goddamn slow. In Episode 2, Kaito is debating on why he should kill an alien that chopped up 4 or 5 people and is just standing there like some deadhead. The little standoff took so long, I'd went out, made some sandwiches, and when I came back, Kaito was crying a river and the alien was still standing there, doing nothing.

Yeah, the big bleeding vagina. I was actually watching the first couple episodes of Gantz at like 2 or 3 in the morning a couple days ago and I had forgotten how annoying that shit was. I have the whole show recorded on two vhs tapes. I had never re-watched any episodes until then, though.

The manga is clearly superior, the anime is a gory, boob-filled train wreck.

The manga, I was interested in reading only because of that kick in the balls of an ending, since I heard it continues beyond that. And I heard people get brought back to life, so I was wondering what's up with that.

BBS Signature
Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-10 13:58:50 Reply

At 5/9/10 10:25 PM, LaForge wrote: Quick question. When you guys are burning the midnight oil with your favorite series, do you watch the intros and outros as well?

It depends, if I find it entertaining enough I'll sit through it every time, but only if they're changed frequently enough. If a series uses the same intro for an overly long period of time I'll just skip over it.

Also, I just got back from Florida and bought Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 while I was down there.

BBS Signature
Wesleyiam
Wesleyiam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-10 14:40:45 Reply

Still watching anime. Still keeping up with the same shows. My opinion on the current season hasn't changed.

Working is one of the best comedies this season. Fuck what you heard.

Also, slayers is great

Anime Club

It's 5 again, the air is thin.
No sunlight through my window.

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-05-10 15:24:25 Reply

I've been reading the manga version of Akira, i'm on volume 3 so far.
I think everybody should read this before watching the movie, because i don't feel like the film provides enough information about the storyline. And we get all these douchebags like Spoony complaining that the movie makes no sense.