00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,812,564 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-23 00:26:45

At 11/22/10 09:34 AM, DeIirium wrote:
At 11/22/10 08:06 AM, scapeartist101 wrote: Has anyone watched K-On? My friend says it was great and I should try watching it sometimes. I kinda agree. I haven't watched it yet but I read in a magazine that it was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZvwJaqh Bc

If you think this is great then there is something wrong with you, seriously why the fuck do people like this shit?

That's what my other said. I should really stop listening to my friends all the time.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-23 00:27:51

That's what my other said.

Sorry. I actually meant that was my other friend said.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 01:58:50

I'm looking to watch an adventure-y or action-y series. One that doesn't contain the traditional 'anime humour' centred around being really loud, or really cutesy, or the all-too-common "I'm saying a dumb thing" "But what you're saying is dumb!" - dumb character, straight man - structure of jokes.

Preferably something made in the last 10 or 15 years.

Can anybody give me any suggestions?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 02:38:22

Guys, I've been busy lately and now that it's thanksgiving break I'm bored and need a good romance type anime. I used to watch anime all the time like school rumble, lamune, etc... Well I just can't find a good one to watch, I need the anime clubs' help :l

It rubs the lotion on its' skin or else it gets the hose again.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 09:28:02

At 11/22/10 08:06 AM, scapeartist101 wrote: Has anyone watched K-On? My friend says it was great and I should try watching it sometimes. I kinda agree. I haven't watched it yet but I read in a magazine that it was great.

OH MY GOD I WANT THOSE SKINS

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 12:28:10

At 11/24/10 09:28 AM, Ledgey wrote:

you'd know all about them if you used frostii
http://frostii.com/2010/10/18/left-4-dea d-2-k-on-edition/

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 12:33:28

you'd know all about them if you used frostii
http://frostii.com/2010/10/18/left-4-dea d-2-k-on-edition/

frostii are shit, they take forever to release them man.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 13:48:27

Pardon me for breaking the conversation at hand, everyone, but I just want to see if I could join in on this little social club you have going on. I am joining because I have recently realized how much I enjoy watching animated shows, as if the last couple of years on Newgrounds haven't already shown me that.

However, before I do join as a new member in this club, I want to know a few things, if you wouldn't mind filling me in on them:

1.) What are the requirements to join this club, if any?
b.) Is discussion limited to Japanese animation, or can we also discuss other animated works?
iii.) I'm fairly new to animu and mango in general, what things should I know and what do the rest of you recommend viewing?

Thank you for your input!

Oh, how rude of me - I didn't even introduce myself yet! Well, let's see...

I am ArtDanVal, though you can just call me 'Art' or 'Dan' if you want (but don't call me 'Val'). I have been watching anime on-and-off throughout much of my youth, though I never really got into it until just recently. Much of what I did watch came from the animated television block on Cartoon Network known as "Toonami". Outside of that, I didn't really get a whole lot of exposure to Japanese animation and comic books, though the Internet has certainly bridged that gap since.

I think the very first anime I can recall watching was probably Pokemon (the original generation), though eventually I got acquainted with Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo!, and Gundam Wing. Personally, I did not take much interest in them because I did not understand the plots most of the time, but I did enjoy watching them (even if I don't remember anything about them now). It wasn't until I got Internet that I became more aware of other shows and began to gather an interest in watching more anime.

Even then, I didn't watch many shows or read the mangas on the Internet, though it seemed it was the only thing many colleagues of mine did on their lunch break. At most, I'd watch a little short or segment of it on a video sharing site and watch it because of the memes associated with them.

For the longest time, I remember just wanting to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion and how that thought lurked in the back of my mind as an adolescent. I was already a big mecha geek and I had heard many great things about the show, things which seemed right up my alley. I didn't come into it knowing everything and spoiled by reviews, so I really didn't know what to expect.

It was the first anime I watched on my own whim, though by the time I finally got around to watching it, I had already graduated from high school (which was six months ago). Got all the episodes and the "End", watched it all in one sitting on my own and to say that my mind was blown is putting it as an understatement.

I was hooked and it wasn't long before Eva began to work it's marketing magic on me, permeating my subconscious with wacky dreams about ASL and Teh Rei. I hadn't watched a show or a series that had caused that much of a reaction not just on me, but also within me. I began to wonder if other anime could also do the same, and began to look for other ones. However, recent times have proven difficult for me to be enthused in anything at all, so my quest for more good animation has all but come to a halt.

That's about it for me that is relevant to the topic, though just for some insight, I'll share what I've seen and what else...

+Shows I have watched and/or still watch regularly:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dragon Ball Z (seasons 1-3, 5-8), and Pokemon (up until season 2).

+Shows that I have watched before, but don't remember or have only seen a few episodes of:
Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Tenchi Muyo! (and its spin-offs), Outlaw Star, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

+Shows that I have only seen in shorts or small segments:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, Street Fighter II V, Fist of the North Star, Toradora!, and GaoGaiGar.

+Shows I have heard of, but have not yet watched and am interested in:
The Big O, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Code GeASS, Hellsing, Gurren Lagaan, Black Lagoon, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Death Note, Lupin the Third, Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Slayers, El Hazard, and Elfen Lied.

+Shows I have heard of or watched and am indifferent to:
YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Zatch Bell!, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Naruto, K-On!, InuYasha, Bleach, Rozen Maiden, Chobits, Digimon, and Chibi Vampire.

That's it, I think.

Take care of yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 18:10:43

At 11/24/10 01:58 AM, Aigis wrote:

Can anybody give me any suggestions?

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

It lacks any of the humor you pointed out that you disliked.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 19:16:09

I WANNA JOIN!!!!!

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 20:44:16

At 11/24/10 01:48 PM, ArtDanVal wrote:

However, before I do join as a new member in this club, I want to know a few things, if you wouldn't mind filling me in on them:

There use to be a few steps that needed to be taken. But at this point in time it was decided that we give up on the pretense of going through some silly interview process. Just post here whenever you can, stay active.

iii.) I'm fairly new to animu and mango in general, what things should I know and what do the rest of you recommend viewing?

I don't think there are things you need to know right off the bat. And suggestions depend on what kind of show you're looking for. For example, I see that you enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion, if that's the case then I recommend Patlabor(The original ova's or the two movies. I have yet to see the tv show).

At 11/24/10 02:38 AM, lilscientist wrote: Guys, I've been busy lately and now that it's thanksgiving break I'm bored and need a good romance type anime. I used to watch anime all the time like school rumble, lamune, etc... Well I just can't find a good one to watch, I need the anime clubs' help :l

Marmalade Boy

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 23:39:54

There aren't very many anime shows that i watch but the ones i do watch are great. I watch things like naruto, dbz, one piece, and full-metal alchemist. I just watch naruto shippundden online because the one on nicktoons is WAY too far behind. i have seen every episode of dragonball z at LEAST once, but GT was crappy to me. I like one piece because of the PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!! =D

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-24 23:53:42

At 11/24/10 01:48 PM, ArtDanVal wrote: Pardon me for breaking the conversation at hand, everyone, but I just want to see if I could join in on this little social club you have going on. I am joining because I have recently realized how much I enjoy watching animated shows, as if the last couple of years on Newgrounds haven't already shown me that.

Just simply post something about anime from time to time, {i.e what show you seen} something like that.

b.) Is discussion limited to Japanese animation, or can we also discuss other animated works?

It's 99% Japanese animation here, although some people talk about the Boondocks or Avatar.

Perhaps you start out with something good, like a Code Geass or a Lupin the III, and then go on from there.

+Shows that I have only seen in shorts or small segments:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,

I suggest avoiding the second season if you can, It's a disappointment compared to the first season IMO.

Street Fighter II V, Fist of the North Star, Toradora!, and GaoGaiGar.

You can't really miss with any of those, those are good ones.

+Shows I have heard of, but have not yet watched and am interested in:
The Big O, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Code GeASS, Hellsing, Gurren Lagaan, Black Lagoon, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Death Note, Lupin the Third, Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Slayers, El Hazard, and Elfen Lied.

About the only one you listed here you want to avoid is Elfen Lied, the first episode was good, but beyond that, it's a proverbial trainwreak of blood, boobs and average animation at best. If you want something bloody and halfway decent, I would go with a M.D Geist or Mad Bull 34.

Welcome aboard.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 05:18:37

At 11/24/10 06:10 PM, Mendou wrote: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

It lacks any of the humor you pointed out that you disliked.

I just watched the first episode of this. It seems quite good.

Perhaps a little overwritten, but I was mildy intrigued by the plot and the animation is good. Enjoyable.

Not only did it not have any of the humour I pointed out, it lacked any humour at all. I hope it's not all totally serious.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 15:25:49

At 11/25/10 05:18 AM, Kuro wrote: ANUS

why are you back

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 15:31:54

I'm now 20 episodes into Fruits Basket now and I was actually pretty surprised by how dark and bleak everything becomes around Akito.

Although some of Tohru's little 'character traits' are starting to grow a little weary on my patience the individual stories of the characters are interesting enough to drive me forward. I only hope it ends satisfyingly.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 17:03:02

At 11/25/10 03:25 PM, Odio wrote:
why are you back

I never left.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 17:23:08

Been watching a shit ton of stuff today. Right now I've been marathoning TTGL though, and I have to take back any shit I said about it all these years. It's actually a good show, but I still think it's given too much praise.

Especially compared to the likes of Gunbuster.

At 11/25/10 05:03 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 11/25/10 03:25 PM, Odio wrote:
why are you back
I never left.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 17:47:23

Sengoku Rance is so fun. I've just finished playing it for 6 hours straight and Orochi is a fucking cunt to beat (he has 9999HP, so it's justified). I guess I'll skip out on him for now and beat another country.

Also, Kanon [the VN; I haven't seen the anime] wasn't so bad. So the writers were serious about Mai having powers? I guess a good end is much better than a cliffhanger/dream; maybe the other routes will be better. The verbal tics were annoying (in particular, Ayu's "uguu"), but I can overlook that. The character design isn't so bad; I got used to the HUMONGOUS eyes after a while.

At 11/25/10 05:23 PM, Mendou wrote: Right now I've been marathoning TTGL though, and I have to take back any shit I said about it all these years. It's actually a good show, but I still think it's given too much praise.

Agreed.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 18:48:56

At 11/25/10 05:47 PM, towelie101 wrote: Also, Kanon [the VN; I haven't seen the anime] wasn't so bad. So the writers were serious about Mai having powers?

Key visual novels usually ground themselves in some sort of magical realism, so you should never be surprised when magic shows up.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 21:12:57

At 11/25/10 05:47 PM, towelie101 wrote: Sengoku Rance is so fun. I've just finished playing it for 6 hours straight and Orochi is a fucking cunt to beat (he has 9999HP, so it's justified). I guess I'll skip out on him for now and beat another country.

Bro, whatcha gotta do for Orochi is get a lot of ninjas and abuse their switching ability. You know how they can keep switching forever, right? Use that a lot. Use it to get in extra attacks and switch out people as they are injured.

Also, grind a lot. My Rance was around 70 when I beat Orochi. You want your weakest people to fight him first, so Orochi wastes his one-time only instant wipe move on them. Take out the Orochi Girls first too cause they can heal each other. All of the Takeda generals, except Masakage, are great again Orochi. Having Tokugawa is also a great boon too because his charge attack will do more damage than anyone in your party at any time and it only uses one action point. Try and get Rance, and Kentarou if you have him, to the highest level you can get them because their level cap is 99. Other units with great level caps are Kenshin (70), Shouen (68), Nozomi (59), Tokugawa (55), Natori (58), Leila (52), Kousaka Yoshikage (55), Uruza (75), Magic (69), Tourin (55), and any generic with a cap above 50.

You should also make sure to capture Mouri Motonari and his daughters. Motonari, though useless in army battles when cursed, will ALWAYS do 200 damage against Orochi which makes him beyond useful. Make no attempt to raise his Attack though because doing that is fruitless. Focus on Speed for him. I would focus more on raising Tokugawa though. Tokugawa was my most useful unit against Orochi, despite him only attacking every other turn.

Also, consider using a 5-man formation to reduce damage against Orochi.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 21:51:25

Did anyone besides me watch this?
Admittedly I lol'd when Al Roker misidentified the anime as "Space Battleship Yamamoto."

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 22:17:12

At 11/25/10 09:12 PM, Odio wrote: post

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I can get some of the commanders mentioned (Kentarou/Tokugawa/the other Takeda generals) because I've already beaten their houses (I only got one general from Takeda, Tourin). Rance is already at level 91 so getting him to 99 isn't going to be so hard for me.

The countries left in my game are Shimazu, One-Eye, Mouri, Takuga and Asai-Asakura. I was planning on fighting Mouri or Takuga next.

It sucks that Omachi never got a(n) h-scene, by the way, but that's made up for with all of the other fantastic HCGs of the game.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 22:37:25

At 11/25/10 09:51 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: Did anyone besides me watch this?
Admittedly I lol'd when Al Roker misidentified the anime as "Space Battleship Yamamoto."

Chances are that not too many people outside of Japan would've known what that anime was, so even though that he got that wrong, you can't really blame him for mistaking the name of an anime that not too many people knew about until recently.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-25 23:56:46

At 11/25/10 10:37 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 11/25/10 09:51 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: Did anyone besides me watch this?
Chances are that not too many people outside of Japan would've known what that anime was, so even though that he got that wrong, you can't really blame him for mistaking the name of an anime that not too many people knew about until recently.

It ran in the US under the title StarBlazers: The Quest for Iscandar back in the 70s and 80s and in syndication on various networks until 2005. At least a few people would know.
I guess the reason they did this was as their annual Internet pop culture reference in conjunction with Takashi Murakami's appearance.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-26 00:02:26

At 11/25/10 05:47 PM, towelie101 wrote: Sengoku Rance is so fun. I've just finished playing it for 6 hours straight and Orochi is a fucking cunt to beat (he has 9999HP, so it's justified). I guess I'll skip out on him for now and beat another country.

I remembered playing all the way into 5 in the morning once. That Orochi is quite the slippery one indeed.

Anime Club

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-26 00:30:03

At 11/26/10 12:02 AM, Edward wrote:
At 11/25/10 05:47 PM, towelie101 wrote:
I remembered playing all the way into 5 in the morning once. That Orochi is quite the slippery one indeed.

What is this game? Where can I play it?

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-26 01:36:18

At 11/26/10 12:30 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: What is this game? Where can I play it?

Sengoku Rance, the seventh in the 'Rance' series by Alicesoft. It's an SRPG/eroge hybrid; if you don't want to see the hentai, you can easily skip them by holding CTRL. Fucking fun as shit, too.

Pirating is a no-no, so you'll have to find it yourself.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-26 01:43:28

At 11/25/10 10:17 PM, towelie101 wrote: SHITFUCK

Pro-tip: Attack Takuga before attacking Mouri, or at least conquer Takuga first. If you don't, you lose the ability to recruit Motonari. If you want to clear Kiku, accept and beat Motonari's Challenge first. If you want to clear Teru, you need to find the Hallucinogen of Death, a drop in dungeons. You can only clear Chinu if you are on a non-Nobunaga route (ie: Ran or Kill the Monkey). If you want to clear Kawanoe Mine, you will be unable to clear Gon, Yuzuru, or Ryoma and vice versa.

Also, Yukihime is a fucking bitchasscuntshitdickassnegro who should be renamed Bitch-hime.

At 11/26/10 12:30 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: What is this game? Where can I play it?

The game is Sengoku Rance, but the BBS' retarded rules prevent me from telling you how to get it in English.

Also, that first image I posted was from my Kill the Monkey End Game. This one is the team I beat Orochi with.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-26 02:08:26

At 11/26/10 01:43 AM, Odio wrote: Pro-tip:

Note taken.

Also, Yukihime is a fucking bitchasscuntshitdickassnegro who should be renamed Bitch-hime.

She's the princess of Texas, right? I beat her once and she made Mouri declare war on me. Fucking slut whore

Also, that first image I posted was from my Kill the Monkey End Game. This one is the team I beat Orochi with.

I guess I'll respond with a picture of my stats near the end of my True History (my first playthrough!). RAPEmaru is awesome.

Anime Club