New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zakkles
Zakkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-03 16:36:36 Reply

Been watching Pumpkin Scissors, freaking awesome. I like the idea and everything.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-03 20:54:42 Reply

At 6/3/10 04:04 PM, Mendou wrote: Why would you watch blurry garbage instead of decent to actual HD quality? Completely free and legal.

There's actually a pretty large number of high quality anime videos on Youtube.

About as high quality as I'd get downloading something from Veoh, with the added bonus of instant loading.

I only really use websites like that for fansubs though, because no matter what it's still better to watch this stuff on DVD. Or Blu-Ray if possible.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-03 21:23:19 Reply

At 6/3/10 08:54 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/3/10 04:04 PM, Mendou wrote:
I only really use websites like that for fansubs though, because no matter what it's still better to watch this stuff on DVD. Or Blu-Ray if possible.

I may be in the minority here, but I generally don't like fansubs at all, partly because the majority of the fansubs are generally catered to the "Weeaboo" crowd with abuse of random cursing and words like nee-sama, kawaii and baka.

The only time I would watch fansubs would be if the show I like will probably never get dubbed. I put my faith in accurate subbing {and dubbing} in the hands of professionals, {i.e Funimation}, plus you would supporting the anime industry by buying anime DVDs, posters, games, etc.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-03 21:33:39 Reply

At 6/3/10 08:54 PM, Aigis wrote: because no matter what it's still better to watch this stuff on DVD. Or Blu-Ray if possible.

But they're extremely expensive and only sold at specialty stores like HMV and Best Buy, which costs me a lot of gas money in the long run. That's why I really want to be able to buy it digitally, it's significantly cheaper and saves me the trouble of having to track it down. Unfortunatly, being a Canadian and all, sites like Funimation won't sell their anime digitally in Canada due to licensing reasons.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of buying anime, I was considering getting Evangelion 1.11 since I've heard it's supposed to be good. Not to mention, my Blu-Ray collection is pretty pathetic right now. At the moment I only own two Blu-Ray movies, which are Up and Distict-9.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 00:03:16 Reply

At 6/3/10 09:23 PM, orangebomb wrote: I may be in the minority here, but I generally don't like fansubs at all, partly because the majority of the fansubs are generally catered to the "Weeaboo" crowd with abuse of random cursing and words like nee-sama, kawaii and baka.

To be fair, Japanese honourifics don't have a direct English translation. I remember seeing the dub of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and they translated the 'Suzumiya-san' said by Kyon as 'Miss Suzumiya', which was quite awkward.

Of course if I was translating it, I'd just replace 'nee-sama' or whatever with the character's name. Unless it was particularly important to the meaning.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a fansub that didn't translate words like 'kawaii' and 'baka'. Except for that dumb image I keep seeing that says 'TL Note: 'Hai' means 'yes'.

The only time I would watch fansubs would be if the show I like will probably never get dubbed. I put my faith in accurate subbing {and dubbing} in the hands of professionals, {i.e Funimation}, plus you would supporting the anime industry by buying anime DVDs, posters, games, etc.

There are a lot of great fansub groups out there. A bunch of people that learned Japanese and then are left thinking "shit, what can I do with this language?"

At 6/3/10 09:33 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: But they're extremely expensive and only sold at specialty stores like HMV and Best Buy

I'm signed up to an online DVD rental service. I can get out unlimited DVDs for 30 bucks a month.

I can get out 6 at a time, and when I finish watching one I just send it back.

BBS Signature
JohnnyWang
JohnnyWang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 01:49:04 Reply

Question, anyone heard of the Anime "Rainbow". Is it any good?

I don't take revenue from my profile.
TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 04:19:50 Reply

Just stumbled across Lupin: The III - The Castle of Cagliostro for a good price and picked it up.
I've really got a large amount of series and movies to watch. So tonight I'll finish up around 4 more episodes of Cowboy BeBop, then check out this Lupin movie.
Really need to finish the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, started watching it months ago, but got sidetracked by other things and have yet to finish it. Was very impressed with what I saw.

I'm also guessing the next convention I'm going to attend will have good deals from private vendors on Anime series, as they did at my previous convention. So going to save up a little for that.

Also, Lupin's a sexy beast, if he were to have a mustache, and a goat beard in addition to his lovely sideburns, he'd look a tad too much like me.

Anime Club

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 10:33:41 Reply

Finished the first season of K-On!

I actually really enjoyed it, in the end.

It was funny, I liked the characters, and I was able to fairly easily suffer through the more annoying repeated jokes (Mio's constant cowering, for example), and the occasional fanservice, which makes me feel like a pervert considering the girls are supposed to be 15 or 16 or whatever.

I like to think of the show as just one big 'fuck you' to musicians, and the hard work they put into learning how to make music.

"Oh, but I don't know how to play guitar. I've never played a musical instrument."
"No problem, we'll just buy you a guitar. You should be able to play it professionally within about three weeks, I'd say."

"Oh shit, we don't have any lyrics for our songs"
"Whatever, I'll just write them tonight in twenty minutes or so"
"Ever written lyrics before?"
"No, fuck that it's not hard."

"You think we need to practise our songs?"
"Fuck practice. Musicians don't need to practice shit."

What I did find strange was that none of the characters pointed out that their teacher is a pretty creepy lesbian.

Even after lines like:

"I can't tell the difference between you two without glasses. I guess I'll just have to tell by comparing breast sizes."

What the fuck?

And then the girls keep asking about whether she has a boyfriend. Yeah right.

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 11:52:56 Reply

At 6/4/10 10:33 AM, Aigis wrote: Finished the first season of K-On!

I've been thinking of checking K-On out for a while. Heard many good things about it, including the "perverted fanservice" you mentioned.
Always a nice touch.

Also

At 6/4/10 04:19 AM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Just stumbled across Lupin: The III - The Castle of Cagliostro for a good price and picked it up.

Fucking awesome movie. Brilliantly animated, lighthearted, and just plain fun.
It's aroused my desire for adventure IRL.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 19:47:29 Reply

At 6/4/10 11:52 AM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Heard many good things about it, including the "perverted fanservice" you mentioned.
Always a nice touch.

I just found it really annoying. Luckily it didn't occur that often.

BBS Signature
Robotussin
Robotussin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 20:50:38 Reply

At 6/4/10 05:12 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 6/4/10 01:49 AM, JohnnyWang wrote: Question, anyone heard of the Anime "Rainbow". Is it any good?
NO BUT I ASSUME IT'S FULL OF FUCKING QUEERS BECAUSE OF THE TITLE.

GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE.

actually dude rainbow is baller.

so is HEROMAN

also mendou you're pretty queer so if it was gay you'd end up liking it no matter what!

also i love you xoxo kisses

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm tumblr

BBS Signature
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Melancholy
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-04 23:20:05 Reply

At 6/4/10 11:07 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote:
At 6/4/10 07:47 PM, Aigis wrote: Luckily it didn't occur that often.
Darn.

If that's really what you're wanting, as I remember there are two episodes where they all go to the beach.

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 00:13:45 Reply

At 6/4/10 12:03 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/3/10 09:23 PM, orangebomb wrote: I may be in the minority here, but I generally don't like fansubs at all, partly because the majority of the fansubs are generally catered to the "Weeaboo" crowd with abuse of random cursing and words like nee-sama, kawaii and baka.
To be fair, Japanese honourifics don't have a direct English translation. I remember seeing the dub of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and they translated the 'Suzumiya-san' said by Kyon as 'Miss Suzumiya', which was quite awkward.

True, true. That's partially why I couldn't stand the English dub of Azumanga Daioh.

Of course if I was translating it, I'd just replace 'nee-sama' or whatever with the character's name. Unless it was particularly important to the meaning.

If it's used that way, it typically is. "Big sis" works just fine.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a fansub that didn't translate words like 'kawaii' and 'baka'.

I've never seen one that hasn't. They usually translate all words that don't lose meaning or intensity through translation, just like official subs do.

Except for that dumb image I keep seeing that says 'TL Note: 'Hai' means 'yes'.

I've never seen that either, but I have seen subs, both fan-made and official, that leave certain words and phrases untranslated, e.g. in the fansub of the 2008 Yatterman series, the subbers left the catchphrase "Ara hora sa sai" untranslated because it itself holds special meaning to viewers: starting in the original 1977-1979 series, Tonzra and Boyacky always replied to Doronjo's orders with "Ara sa sai" (Boyacky), "Hora sa sai" (Tonzra) or "Ara hora sa sai" (both in unison) when responding to Doronjo's orders. To my knowledge, the phrase has no real root meaning; it was just made-up gibberish that became a pop-culture meme among a generation (which became two generations when Tatsunoko revived the series for the Millennium Generation).

Ugh. That's a tricky road to go down. I personally don't mind subs and dubs as long as they're as faithful as possible to the original script, but I have a problem with hot-shot dubbers like FUNimation and Viz that like to slice out all the original music and replace it with cheap synth-based crap that doesn't fit the mood of the show or redo all the songs using vocalists who obviously can't sing (*cough*Kristine Sa*cough*) and lyrics that totally alter the meaning of the song.

There are a lot of great fansub groups out there. A bunch of people that learned Japanese and then are left thinking "shit, what can I do with this language?"

You still have to keep a skeptical eye out. A lot of fansubbers will overstep their bounds and do annoying things like put watermarks all over the screen, use fonts and colors that one can barely read and throw in emoticons and other ad-libbed stuff that just distracts viewers from viewing the program. Most of the official subs I've seen just get down to business and translate the dialogue (and occasionally on-screen text without digitally obscuring or painting anything out). I still choose to err on the side of caution and am working to become fluent in Japanese so I don't have to rely on others (who have repeatedly proven to me that I cannot trust them) to bring me the content I desire.

At 6/3/10 09:33 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: But they're extremely expensive and only sold at specialty stores like HMV and Best Buy
I'm signed up to an online DVD rental service. I can get out unlimited DVDs for 30 bucks a month.

I can get out 6 at a time, and when I finish watching one I just send it back.

Most of us don't have $30 a month to slap down.
I can't even afford a $7-per-month Crunchyroll membership.

Plus the whole "CR Bucks" system is a phishing scam; I signed up for an account last July so I could investigate the offer and soon after attempted to report the webmaster to the FBI.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.
Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 00:55:52 Reply

At 6/5/10 12:13 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: If it's used that way, it typically is. "Big sis" works just fine.

Do people ever actually say 'big sis' in English? Because whenever I see that I just think it sounds awkward.

Something about Yatterman.

If I was translating that, I would have tried to find some sort of equivalent in English.

I'm not great at Japanese, but I know that 'ara' and 'hora' are both words. As in, they are both exclamations that mean something like 'oh my'. I'm sure you could find some sort of random English exclamation that carries a similar meaning.

I guess you need to get a better job.

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 03:27:50 Reply

At 6/5/10 12:55 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/5/10 12:13 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: If it's used that way, it typically is. "Big sis" works just fine.
Do people ever actually say 'big sis' in English? Because whenever I see that I just think it sounds awkward.

It's kinda antiquated, but yes, people do say "big bro" and "big sis" on occasion.

Something about Yatterman.
If I was translating that, I would have tried to find some sort of equivalent in English.

An equivalent of what? The title?

I'm not great at Japanese, but I know that 'ara' and 'hora' are both words. As in, they are both exclamations that mean something like 'oh my'. I'm sure you could find some sort of random English exclamation that carries a similar meaning.

Yes, they're both interjections. "Ara" is like "huh" like you said, yet "hora" is more of a "Look at that!"
Both make no sense in the context in which they're used. That's the important part.

Also, I failed to mention this before: There are two more nonsense words ("Sukapontan" and "Akapontan," respectively) from the series that don't carry a consistent and clear meaning. In the subs I've seen of the 1977 anime and 2009 movie, they translated these words as "Idiot" or "Pervert", depending on the context. Again, this works to destroy some of the original feel of random silliness that the original had.

I guess you need to get a better job.

I don't even have a paying job, and even if I did, I most likely wouldn't be able to afford a membership I would only use for 2 or 3 shows. Employers here in the 'States are extremely stingy and would much rather hire illegal Mexicans for all their part-time or even full-time labor because they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.
Plus, due to the bad economy, summer jobs are becoming more and more scarce each year. I've seen way too many interviews with high school and college students who were laid off from their summer jobs due to employers being forced to cut costs.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 03:43:53 Reply

At 6/5/10 03:27 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: It's kinda antiquated, but yes, people do say "big bro" and "big sis" on occasion.

Man, I've never seen it. Well, I've called my brother "big bro" before, but only ironically.

An equivalent of what? The title?

No, I was talking about the sentences.

Yes, they're both interjections. "Ara" is like "huh" like you said, yet "hora" is more of a "Look at that!"

I remembered what 'hora' meant a couple of minutes after I clicked 'post it'.

I really need to focus more on my Japanese studies.

Both make no sense in the context in which they're used. That's the important part.

Yeah, but they could have had some English phrases that made no sense in the context in which they were used instead. That way you could carry over the joke, rather than just having this sentence that would mean nothing to English speaking audiences.

Also, I failed to mention this before: There are two more nonsense words ("Sukapontan" and "Akapontan," respectively) from the series that don't carry a consistent and clear meaning. In the subs I've seen of the 1977 anime and 2009 movie, they translated these words as "Idiot" or "Pervert", depending on the context. Again, this works to destroy some of the original feel of random silliness that the original had.

Yeah, Japanese is a language that is much easier to make nonsense words with than English.

But if they were left untranslated, that would destroy the random silliness even more.

If I knew nothing about Japanese, I wouldn't think that those words were 'random' or 'silly'. I'd just think "why aren't those translated? What do they mean?"

I've obviously not thought about this much, but you could just make up words in the standard Japanese portmanteau way. Instead of 'idiot', you could say 'idivert'. Instead of pervert, you could say 'perviot'.

Uh, it's fairly obvious I'm not a writer.

I don't even have a paying job, and even if I did, I most likely wouldn't be able to afford a membership I would only use for 2 or 3 shows. Employers here in the 'States are extremely stingy and would much rather hire illegal Mexicans for all their part-time or even full-time labor because they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.

Not really a problem here. It's very difficult to jump the border when your country is an island. Well, two islands.

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 04:21:38 Reply

At 6/5/10 03:43 AM, Aigis wrote:
No, I was talking about the sentences.

There already may be. Central Park Media licensed and dubbed the 1993 Time Bokan OVA (which features the cast of most every Tatsunoko show up until that point) and I haven't seen all of it yet, so they may have come up with something.

I remembered what 'hora' meant a couple of minutes after I clicked 'post it'.

I really need to focus more on my Japanese studies.

As do I. There is a Japanese class at my college, but there's only one section and it fills up fast. I've put it on my to-do list to register for the fall semester as soon as it opens up for people of my qualifications (or lack thereof) and from then on the race is on.

Yeah, Japanese is a language that is much easier to make nonsense words with than English.

But if they were left untranslated, that would destroy the random silliness even more.

How so? I could easily call someone "Skapontan" and get away with it, because they'd think I was trying to cover up a swear word.

If I knew nothing about Japanese, I wouldn't think that those words were 'random' or 'silly'. I'd just think "why aren't those translated? What do they mean?"

I think that was the original intent.

Not really a problem here. It's very difficult to jump the border when your country is an island. Well, two islands.

You can get in a boat from a nearby archipelago and cross the ocean.
That's what the "Boat People" (refugees from countries like Vietnam and Cuba) do to get into countries like Japan and the United States illegally.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 08:34:49 Reply

At 6/5/10 04:21 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: As do I. There is a Japanese class at my college, but there's only one section and it fills up fast. I've put it on my to-do list to register for the fall semester as soon as it opens up for people of my qualifications (or lack thereof) and from then on the race is on.

I've technically been learning Japanese for six and a half years.

I say technically because while I've been taking a Japanese class, I haven't exactly been learning the language. High school Japanese is far too easy for anybody to learn the language from it.

How so? I could easily call someone "Skapontan" and get away with it, because they'd think I was trying to cover up a swear word.

If it was in an anime, I would just think it was a Japanese word.

You can get in a boat from a nearby archipelago and cross the ocean.
That's what the "Boat People" (refugees from countries like Vietnam and Cuba) do to get into countries like Japan and the United States illegally.

I guess you could. There's probably a reasonable few of those people, but they're not affecting the job market. At least not the job market I'm interested in.

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:17:17 Reply

At 6/5/10 08:34 AM, Aigis wrote: I've technically been learning Japanese for six and a half years.

And I have for nearly 11 years.

I say technically because while I've been taking a Japanese class, I haven't exactly been learning the language. High school Japanese is far too easy for anybody to learn the language from it.

They don't even offer Japanese in the high schools around here, but I know what you mean. Spanish and Chinese are pretty much the mandatory languages in the 'States, and the Spanish classes I took in high school were extremely easy (because my school was full of clinical retards) yet I did learn something from them, albeit not much.

If it was in an anime, I would just think it was a Japanese word.

Unless you listened closely.

I guess you could. There's probably a reasonable few of those people, but they're not affecting the job market. At least not the job market I'm interested in.

Just out of curiosity, what job market are you interested in?

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:37:04 Reply

At 6/5/10 06:17 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: And I have for nearly 11 years.

And you're not fluent? That's disheartening.

They don't even offer Japanese in the high schools around here, but I know what you mean. Spanish and Chinese are pretty much the mandatory languages in the 'States, and the Spanish classes I took in high school were extremely easy (because my school was full of clinical retards) yet I did learn something from them, albeit not much.

Mine was one of the few schools that did offer Japanese.

They used to offer Russian before that. I guess after the Cold War ended they decided there wasn't much point.

Just out of curiosity, what job market are you interested in?

The job market with high pay, low work and flexible hours.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:38:02 Reply

At 6/5/10 06:37 PM, Kuro wrote:

Incidentally, that was the wrong account.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:58:22 Reply

Okay, so is the Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie going to be better or worse than the live-action Dragonball movie?

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Omorashi
Omorashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:21:07 Reply

avatar is a cartoon. its not anime....

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:47:01 Reply

At 6/5/10 06:37 PM, Kuro wrote: And you're not fluent? That's disheartening.

Wow, I had no idea Kuro and Aigis were the same person.
My "education" has been mostly a mishmash of copying down words off of imported Pokémon cards, reading textbooks and pen pal letters (to someone who is now deceased). Given time, I can write clear paragraphs, but I can't fully understand spoken speech and I choke up when trying to communicate with someone in real time.

They used to offer Russian before that. I guess after the Cold War ended they decided there wasn't much point.

They have Russian at my college too; I assume the situation is the same.
The possible reason there are no Japanese classes in my area is the amount of anti-Japanese sentiment left over from World War II followed by the Japanese industrial boom in the late '80s and since all of Japan's major industries crashed in the '90s and the 2000s (e.g. the anime industry) there hasn't been enough of a perceived demand.

The job market with high pay, low work and flexible hours.

I think that market died with the dotcom collapse. Good luck.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Death
Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:59:18 Reply

At 6/5/10 07:21 PM, Omorashi wrote: avatar is a cartoon. its not anime....

it was animated in korea though. there's alot of debate about whether or not it is one. as for his question, a cardboard box and a spoon could make a better movie than the dragonball one.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 20:30:50 Reply

At 6/5/10 07:47 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: Wow, I had no idea Kuro and Aigis were the same person.

Yeah, woah, I was surprised too.

My "education" has been mostly a mishmash of copying down words off of imported Pokémon cards, reading textbooks and pen pal letters (to someone who is now deceased). Given time, I can write clear paragraphs, but I can't fully understand spoken speech and I choke up when trying to communicate with someone in real time.

Oh, I thought were meant you had been taking classes for 11 years.

Maybe I'll go to Japan after I finish my degree. See if I can improve my language.

They have Russian at my college too; I assume the situation is the same.
The possible reason there are no Japanese classes in my area is the amount of anti-Japanese sentiment left over from World War II followed by the Japanese industrial boom in the late '80s and since all of Japan's major industries crashed in the '90s and the 2000s (e.g. the anime industry) there hasn't been enough of a perceived demand.

Well the reason there was a Japanese class at my school was because my school was on good relations with a Japanese school, Toin Gakuen.

And because Japan is fairly close.

Eh, I'm sure I can invent something that will set me for life.

Like a... Shoe... Fork...

BBS Signature
HibiscusKazeneko
HibiscusKazeneko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 00:06:35 Reply

At 6/5/10 08:30 PM, Aigis wrote: Oh, I thought were meant you had been taking classes for 11 years.

Hahahah, I realize it would be easy to misinterpret what I said in that way...

Maybe I'll go to Japan after I finish my degree. See if I can improve my language.

Good luck. You may want to get a copy of this in the meantime.

Well the reason there was a Japanese class at my school was because my school was on good relations with a Japanese school, Toin Gakuen.

Hmmmm, I see.
The closest Japanese-affiliated school I can think of is Tennessee Gakuin University (a direct branch of Meiji Gakuin in Tokyo). I have heard that one local university has a good program, and I am looking into transferring for 2011-2012.

And because Japan is fairly close.

Much closer than it is here. That's all I can say.

Eh, I'm sure I can invent something that will set me for life.

Like a... Shoe... Fork...

Hahaha, I'll just leave you to mull that one over.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 04:35:32 Reply

I've been getting into Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles recently

Is anyone else a fan?

I've read a little bit of CLAMP outside of TRC also

BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 12:31:27 Reply

Not really Anime related, but seeing as you're all (or at least most of you) my bros, thought I'd share this bit of awesomeness Twilight (the user, not the movie) created: That being, a drawing of yours truly.

All done while in Stickcam.
Something I urge my fellow anime fans to consider looking into.
As it's fucking awesome.

Also, so as to stay on topic, still need to finish Cowboy BeBop.
However the adventurous desire watching Lupin the 3rd brought about in my has been quenched, for now.

So much fun can be had at night.