00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AVKid4 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,794,910 Views | 59,815 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 07:04:45

At 7/2/10 06:27 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
At 7/1/10 09:13 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
At 7/1/10 09:01 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/1/10 08:22 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
The real question is why the fuck do you care so much? Shouldn't you watch the show for the show and not the corporate logos in what I can assume is largely in the background?

Exactly, it's not like they're stopping the action midway and saying

'HOOOOOOLLLLLDDDD IT!!! THis scene was sponsored by Vagisil, Vaginal Creme! Enjoy the show and remember VAGISIL!!!!!'

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 07:16:04

At 7/2/10 02:36 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: The girls' instruments and equipment are actual models produced by real instrument manufacturers, and digitally airbrushing them out would ruin entire plot lines. For example, one of the episodes centers around Yui trying to purchase a guitar from a local music shop, and the main reason the guitar is so expensive is it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

If they actually say 'Les Paul', then there's no way to censor the subbed version. 'Les Paul' in Japanese is the same as in English.

If they don't, then it's not an issue. It doesn't matter that the guitar is a Les Paul. It just needs to be an expensive, vintage guitar.

I can't imagine it would take them a lot of effort to get permission to use that brand in the show, though. It's not as if the show's a barrage of product placement.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 10:11:48

At 7/2/10 07:16 AM, Aigis wrote:
If they actually say 'Les Paul', then there's no way to censor the subbed version. 'Les Paul' in Japanese is the same as in English.

They can cut the scene or just not put out a subbed version at all.

If they don't, then it's not an issue. It doesn't matter that the guitar is a Les Paul. It just needs to be an expensive, vintage guitar.

It still looks like a Les Paui, and if they say it's something else, Gibson can sue for trademark infringement.

I can't imagine it would take them a lot of effort to get permission to use that brand in the show, though. It's not as if the show's a barrage of product placement.

As far as I know, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC, the folks who regulate all electromagnetic transmissions for the United States) has a rule that states that product placement can only take place in live-action prime-time programming or something to the effect. It has to do with reducing the ways companies can market to children (alas, the old "cartoons are for kids" myth).

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 10:59:28

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 12:38:39

At 7/2/10 12:36 PM, ChuckDude131 wrote: Hey guys theres this show I really like and I really want to watch it

It's called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Anyone here ever heard of it, seen it or liked it?

I would like to hear what you guys think about it.

I'm not watching it because it looks really stupid and if i'd watch it i wouldn't like it.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 13:19:10

At 7/2/10 12:36 PM, ChuckDude131 wrote: Hey guys theres this show I really like and I really want to watch it

It's called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Anyone here ever heard of it, seen it or liked it?

I would like to hear what you guys think about it.

I enjoyed the first season, but the second was shit due to the whole "Endless Eight" segment. I won't spoil it for you, but it's one of the dumbest things ever done in the entire history of TV.

Also, if you decide to watch it, make sure it's in chronological order. The original TV brodcast had its episodes mixed up, so certain websites might list it according to the original brodcast or the DVD order.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 16:31:06

At 7/2/10 01:19 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: I enjoyed the first season, but the second was shit due to the whole "Endless Eight" segment. I won't spoil it for you, but it's one of the dumbest things ever done in the entire history of TV.

I loved secccond season, endless eight and all (though I admit fatigue near the half way of it, it could have been pulled off with four episodes, I think). The series is a bit silly in many aspects, and has a bit of a batshit fandom at times, but I enjoy it, because it has a unique touch, ironically, by repeating a lot of the cliches and formulas in Anime.

It's not the best show ever, sure, but it's entertaining, and for 2006 and 2010, the first and second series do make it to the top five lists of those two years.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 17:13:37

soo yeah i might be late on this, but who the hell is excited for Black%u2605Rock Shooter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSeSlH-G dw

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 17:23:16

The whole "Endless Eight" thing was definitely among the most epic and successful trolling of the otaku population. Ever.

Anyways, I just finished Clannad After Story today after watching episode after episode like a madman. Personally I think it's the best series I've seen to date. Strangely though, my favorite character is Tomoyo. I guess there's something about tough yet reserved and polite girls that turns me on. Plus she's easy on the eyes.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 21:03:13

At 7/2/10 05:23 PM, TailsPrower wrote: The whole "Endless Eight" thing was definitely among the most epic and successful trolling of the otaku population. Ever.

I still don't understand how that idea got approved though. If they were recycling the same footage for each episode, then it would be easy to see why they could get away with it. Instead, they reanimated it for all eight episodes, which seems like a massive waste of money and effort.

Seriously, I want to know how much money they pissed away on that entire arc.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 21:09:10

At 7/2/10 05:13 PM, SessileNomad wrote: soo yeah i might be late on this, but who the hell is excited for Black%u2605Rock Shooter?

So, is it out yet or no?
And are there any voice actors?

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 21:36:15

Would this be the place for me to rant and rave about how awesome My Neighbor Totoro is?

Because I just watched it and I officially fell in love with it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anime Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 22:04:44

At 7/2/10 09:36 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Would this be the place for me to rant and rave about how awesome My Neighbor Totoro is?

Because I just watched it and I officially fell in love with it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

great family movie. I saw some stuffed dolls of Totoro and the cat bus in a store and almost got one for my niece. eh, she has so many toys, anyway.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 22:14:59

Just picked up Hellgirl. Going to finish The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya then either opt to watch Hellgirl, or Samurai Champloo for the first time.
Also, picked up the original Fist of the North Star movie, going to have to give it a play through. I've only heard good things about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 22:24:20

At 7/2/10 10:14 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Samurai Champloo
Fist of the North Star movie

double awesome

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 22:25:29

At 7/2/10 10:14 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Just picked up Hellgirl. Going to finish The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya then either opt to watch Hellgirl, or Samurai Champloo for the first time.
Also, picked up the original Fist of the North Star movie, going to have to give it a play through. I've only heard good things about it.

I watched some of the first episodes of Hell Girl on IFC, it was actually pretty cool. THough the actual Hell Girl herself doesn't seem to play much of a role.

I also started reading the Manga of Fist of the North Star which was actually released after the anime and the manga in 09. So far I really like the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure art style and the crazy strong protagonist.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-02 22:43:26

At 7/2/10 10:11 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: They can cut the scene or just not put out a subbed version at all.

There's practically no chance that they wouldn't put out a subbed version. It's fairly obvious the sort of person that K-On! caters to in the Western market.

As far as I know, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC, the folks who regulate all electromagnetic transmissions for the United States) has a rule that states that product placement can only take place in live-action prime-time programming or something to the effect. It has to do with reducing the ways companies can market to children (alas, the old "cartoons are for kids" myth).

I love the idea that they'd be worried that expensive vintage guitars are being marketed to children.

Can they regulate television shows that are going straight to DVD?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 01:28:37

At 7/2/10 10:43 PM, Aigis wrote: Can they regulate television shows that are going straight to DVD?

Technically no, but a troubling precedent has already been set.
I have the first season of Kaleido Star on DVD, and of course it's hybrid subbed and dubbed. The dubbed version has several notable instances of visual edits and entire scenes having been sliced out; and in the subbed version, the cut scenes are restored while the digital paint remains.

Also who says the series is going straight to DVD/Blu-Ray? Syfy might run it in their "AniMonday" block or The Anime Network might stream it.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 03:40:02

At 7/3/10 01:35 AM, Mendou wrote: Who the fuck would watch K-ON! here in the states? Besides retarded weebs.

God, you're such a fucking idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 03:52:06

At 7/3/10 01:35 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 7/3/10 01:28 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:

Syfy might run it in their "AniMonday"
Who the fuck would watch K-ON! here in the states? Besides retarded weebs.

I'm not a fan of shojo on any level, well maybe Cardcaptor; but either way it looks like your typical shojo with some unique plot elements. I don't see any reason why someone who likes that stuff wouldn't want to see it.

Why it would be on Syfy I don't understand but still.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 04:03:30

At 7/3/10 03:52 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I'm not a fan of shojo on any level, well maybe Cardcaptor; but either way it looks like your typical shojo with some unique plot elements. I don't see any reason why someone who likes that stuff wouldn't want to see it.

It's not shojo. It's seinen.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 04:14:45

At 7/3/10 04:03 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/10 03:52 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I'm not a fan of shojo on any level, well maybe Cardcaptor; but either way it looks like your typical shojo with some unique plot elements. I don't see any reason why someone who likes that stuff wouldn't want to see it.

Really? It doesn't look it, but I looked it up and it says it is.

Why would it be targeted to older males? From what I've heard it's just girls starting a band, and they look far too young to be legally put into sexually compromising situations. Even Ecchi looks like it would be pushing into Loli territory.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 04:33:50

At 7/3/10 04:14 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: Why would it be targeted to older males? From what I've heard it's just girls starting a band, and they look far too young to be legally put into sexually compromising situations. Even Ecchi looks like it would be pushing into Loli territory.

Yes, well this is Japan we're talking about.

There is a decent amount of fanservice involved. Beach episodes, and the like.

When I watched it I just ignored the stuff they threw in there to appeal to that audience.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 04:39:20

At 7/3/10 04:33 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/10 04:14 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: Why would it be targeted to older males? From what I've heard it's just girls starting a band, and they look far too young to be legally put into sexually compromising situations. Even Ecchi looks like it would be pushing into Loli territory.
Yes, well this is Japan we're talking about.

There is a decent amount of fanservice involved. Beach episodes, and the like.

When I watched it I just ignored the stuff they threw in there to appeal to that audience.

I guess, they do have odd censorship laws there, like the bars in the hentai manga they sell publicly.

But I've never liked when a series is heavy on fanservice, but I think ti would be a good idea to ease myself into the whole 'Slice of Life' genre. I've always read shonen or more mature iterations of it like Naruto or Gantz. I've done some psychological stuff like Parasyte and Uzumaki but never the lighthearted 'real life people' kind of series.

I'll check out the manga if I can find it before I try finding the anime.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 05:16:14

At 7/3/10 04:39 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I guess, they do have odd censorship laws there, like the bars in the hentai manga they sell publicly.

That's not really relevant.

But I've never liked when a series is heavy on fanservice, but I think ti would be a good idea to ease myself into the whole 'Slice of Life' genre. I've always read shonen or more mature iterations of it like Naruto or Gantz. I've done some psychological stuff like Parasyte and Uzumaki but never the lighthearted 'real life people' kind of series.

It's not really heavy on the fanservice. There's just a little bit of fanservice involved.

I'll check out the manga if I can find it before I try finding the anime.

Why?

I find that Kyoto Animation usually improve their source material. For example, the Lucky Star manga is simply terrible (I'm not planning on getting into a discussion about how 'the anime is terrible too' by the way).

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 10:03:09

At 7/2/10 09:09 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
At 7/2/10 05:13 PM, SessileNomad wrote: soo yeah i might be late on this, but who the hell is excited for Black%u2605Rock Shooter?

So, is it out yet or no?
And are there any voice actors?

no its not out yet, theres gona be some video showed at some anime festival in california, so i would assume they're pretty set for voice actors

i read theres going to be a complete free stream as well, but it probably wont be able to happen in america, so ill have to wait two days for someone to translate it

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 10:20:37

At 7/3/10 04:03 AM, Aigis wrote:

And that makes me sad. Seinen should mean things that mature and adult, not stuff that panders to manchildren.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 19:06:39

At 7/3/10 10:20 AM, JohnnyWang wrote: And that makes me sad. Seinen should mean things that mature and adult, not stuff that panders to manchildren.

Not everything that males aged 18-30 watch is mature. K-On! isn't any less mature than, say, Family Guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 19:15:14

At 7/3/10 06:14 PM, IlikeKorn123 wrote:
At 7/3/10 05:51 PM, LaForge wrote:
they are rip offs and really boring too, it's just stupid that they had hellsing rip off everything else.

there are no original animes anymore like they had with monster rancher. meta bots, gundam wing escalfone, or things like beyblade.

How does Hellsing rip everyone off if it was released before them?

Also Escaflowne was never part of the Gundam Wing series, which kind of annuls your point on its originality. Monster Rancher and Metabots were okay but in the end they're just like Digimon or Pokemon.

Beyblade doesn't even deserve to exist so much as be mentioned here. Spinning tops that have imaginary monsters come out of them may be 'original' but that doesn't mean it wasn't in any way a terrible show.

Response to Anime Club 2010-07-03 19:43:56

At 7/3/10 07:31 PM, IlikeKorn123 wrote:
At 7/3/10 07:15 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
How does Hellsing rip everyone off if it was released before them?
VAMPIRE HUNTERED CAME OUT FIRST YOU MORON!

No, Bram Stoker's Dracula came out first

Also Escaflowne was never part of the Gundam Wing series, which kind of annuls your point on its originality. Monster Rancher and Metabots were okay but in the end they're just like Digimon or Pokemon.
Escalfone came out as a seperate series and is not related to the Gundam Wing franchise!

Exactly what I said, you said Gundam Wing Escaflowne

those other series are great but you don't see the art and beauty of them!

It's shonen, there really isn't much in the way of art and beauty in them

too bad you like stupid shows like gundam seed and bobobobobo...

Nah Son! I'm too busy watching all my cool original shows like Naruto and Bleach to check out new stuff.