00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RhubarbRumble just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,811,580 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 03:27:50

At 6/5/10 12:55 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/5/10 12:13 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: If it's used that way, it typically is. "Big sis" works just fine.
Do people ever actually say 'big sis' in English? Because whenever I see that I just think it sounds awkward.

It's kinda antiquated, but yes, people do say "big bro" and "big sis" on occasion.

Something about Yatterman.
If I was translating that, I would have tried to find some sort of equivalent in English.

An equivalent of what? The title?

I'm not great at Japanese, but I know that 'ara' and 'hora' are both words. As in, they are both exclamations that mean something like 'oh my'. I'm sure you could find some sort of random English exclamation that carries a similar meaning.

Yes, they're both interjections. "Ara" is like "huh" like you said, yet "hora" is more of a "Look at that!"
Both make no sense in the context in which they're used. That's the important part.

Also, I failed to mention this before: There are two more nonsense words ("Sukapontan" and "Akapontan," respectively) from the series that don't carry a consistent and clear meaning. In the subs I've seen of the 1977 anime and 2009 movie, they translated these words as "Idiot" or "Pervert", depending on the context. Again, this works to destroy some of the original feel of random silliness that the original had.

Most of us don't have $30 a month to slap down.
I can't even afford a $7-per-month Crunchyroll membership.
I guess you need to get a better job.

I don't even have a paying job, and even if I did, I most likely wouldn't be able to afford a membership I would only use for 2 or 3 shows. Employers here in the 'States are extremely stingy and would much rather hire illegal Mexicans for all their part-time or even full-time labor because they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.
Plus, due to the bad economy, summer jobs are becoming more and more scarce each year. I've seen way too many interviews with high school and college students who were laid off from their summer jobs due to employers being forced to cut costs.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 03:43:53

At 6/5/10 03:27 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: It's kinda antiquated, but yes, people do say "big bro" and "big sis" on occasion.

Man, I've never seen it. Well, I've called my brother "big bro" before, but only ironically.

An equivalent of what? The title?

No, I was talking about the sentences.

Yes, they're both interjections. "Ara" is like "huh" like you said, yet "hora" is more of a "Look at that!"

I remembered what 'hora' meant a couple of minutes after I clicked 'post it'.

I really need to focus more on my Japanese studies.

Both make no sense in the context in which they're used. That's the important part.

Yeah, but they could have had some English phrases that made no sense in the context in which they were used instead. That way you could carry over the joke, rather than just having this sentence that would mean nothing to English speaking audiences.

Also, I failed to mention this before: There are two more nonsense words ("Sukapontan" and "Akapontan," respectively) from the series that don't carry a consistent and clear meaning. In the subs I've seen of the 1977 anime and 2009 movie, they translated these words as "Idiot" or "Pervert", depending on the context. Again, this works to destroy some of the original feel of random silliness that the original had.

Yeah, Japanese is a language that is much easier to make nonsense words with than English.

But if they were left untranslated, that would destroy the random silliness even more.

If I knew nothing about Japanese, I wouldn't think that those words were 'random' or 'silly'. I'd just think "why aren't those translated? What do they mean?"

I've obviously not thought about this much, but you could just make up words in the standard Japanese portmanteau way. Instead of 'idiot', you could say 'idivert'. Instead of pervert, you could say 'perviot'.

Uh, it's fairly obvious I'm not a writer.

I don't even have a paying job, and even if I did, I most likely wouldn't be able to afford a membership I would only use for 2 or 3 shows. Employers here in the 'States are extremely stingy and would much rather hire illegal Mexicans for all their part-time or even full-time labor because they can get away with paying less than minimum wage.

Not really a problem here. It's very difficult to jump the border when your country is an island. Well, two islands.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 04:21:38

At 6/5/10 03:43 AM, Aigis wrote:
No, I was talking about the sentences.

There already may be. Central Park Media licensed and dubbed the 1993 Time Bokan OVA (which features the cast of most every Tatsunoko show up until that point) and I haven't seen all of it yet, so they may have come up with something.

I remembered what 'hora' meant a couple of minutes after I clicked 'post it'.

I really need to focus more on my Japanese studies.

As do I. There is a Japanese class at my college, but there's only one section and it fills up fast. I've put it on my to-do list to register for the fall semester as soon as it opens up for people of my qualifications (or lack thereof) and from then on the race is on.

Yeah, Japanese is a language that is much easier to make nonsense words with than English.

But if they were left untranslated, that would destroy the random silliness even more.

How so? I could easily call someone "Skapontan" and get away with it, because they'd think I was trying to cover up a swear word.

If I knew nothing about Japanese, I wouldn't think that those words were 'random' or 'silly'. I'd just think "why aren't those translated? What do they mean?"

I think that was the original intent.

Not really a problem here. It's very difficult to jump the border when your country is an island. Well, two islands.

You can get in a boat from a nearby archipelago and cross the ocean.
That's what the "Boat People" (refugees from countries like Vietnam and Cuba) do to get into countries like Japan and the United States illegally.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 08:34:49

At 6/5/10 04:21 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: As do I. There is a Japanese class at my college, but there's only one section and it fills up fast. I've put it on my to-do list to register for the fall semester as soon as it opens up for people of my qualifications (or lack thereof) and from then on the race is on.

I've technically been learning Japanese for six and a half years.

I say technically because while I've been taking a Japanese class, I haven't exactly been learning the language. High school Japanese is far too easy for anybody to learn the language from it.

How so? I could easily call someone "Skapontan" and get away with it, because they'd think I was trying to cover up a swear word.

If it was in an anime, I would just think it was a Japanese word.

You can get in a boat from a nearby archipelago and cross the ocean.
That's what the "Boat People" (refugees from countries like Vietnam and Cuba) do to get into countries like Japan and the United States illegally.

I guess you could. There's probably a reasonable few of those people, but they're not affecting the job market. At least not the job market I'm interested in.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:17:17

At 6/5/10 08:34 AM, Aigis wrote: I've technically been learning Japanese for six and a half years.

And I have for nearly 11 years.

I say technically because while I've been taking a Japanese class, I haven't exactly been learning the language. High school Japanese is far too easy for anybody to learn the language from it.

They don't even offer Japanese in the high schools around here, but I know what you mean. Spanish and Chinese are pretty much the mandatory languages in the 'States, and the Spanish classes I took in high school were extremely easy (because my school was full of clinical retards) yet I did learn something from them, albeit not much.

If it was in an anime, I would just think it was a Japanese word.

Unless you listened closely.

I guess you could. There's probably a reasonable few of those people, but they're not affecting the job market. At least not the job market I'm interested in.

Just out of curiosity, what job market are you interested in?

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:37:04

At 6/5/10 06:17 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: And I have for nearly 11 years.

And you're not fluent? That's disheartening.

They don't even offer Japanese in the high schools around here, but I know what you mean. Spanish and Chinese are pretty much the mandatory languages in the 'States, and the Spanish classes I took in high school were extremely easy (because my school was full of clinical retards) yet I did learn something from them, albeit not much.

Mine was one of the few schools that did offer Japanese.

They used to offer Russian before that. I guess after the Cold War ended they decided there wasn't much point.

Just out of curiosity, what job market are you interested in?

The job market with high pay, low work and flexible hours.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:38:02

At 6/5/10 06:37 PM, Kuro wrote:

Incidentally, that was the wrong account.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 18:58:22

Okay, so is the Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie going to be better or worse than the live-action Dragonball movie?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:21:07

avatar is a cartoon. its not anime....

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:47:01

At 6/5/10 06:37 PM, Kuro wrote: And you're not fluent? That's disheartening.

Wow, I had no idea Kuro and Aigis were the same person.
My "education" has been mostly a mishmash of copying down words off of imported Pokémon cards, reading textbooks and pen pal letters (to someone who is now deceased). Given time, I can write clear paragraphs, but I can't fully understand spoken speech and I choke up when trying to communicate with someone in real time.

They used to offer Russian before that. I guess after the Cold War ended they decided there wasn't much point.

They have Russian at my college too; I assume the situation is the same.
The possible reason there are no Japanese classes in my area is the amount of anti-Japanese sentiment left over from World War II followed by the Japanese industrial boom in the late '80s and since all of Japan's major industries crashed in the '90s and the 2000s (e.g. the anime industry) there hasn't been enough of a perceived demand.

The job market with high pay, low work and flexible hours.

I think that market died with the dotcom collapse. Good luck.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 19:59:18

At 6/5/10 07:21 PM, Omorashi wrote: avatar is a cartoon. its not anime....

it was animated in korea though. there's alot of debate about whether or not it is one. as for his question, a cardboard box and a spoon could make a better movie than the dragonball one.

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-05 20:30:50

At 6/5/10 07:47 PM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote: Wow, I had no idea Kuro and Aigis were the same person.

Yeah, woah, I was surprised too.

My "education" has been mostly a mishmash of copying down words off of imported Pokémon cards, reading textbooks and pen pal letters (to someone who is now deceased). Given time, I can write clear paragraphs, but I can't fully understand spoken speech and I choke up when trying to communicate with someone in real time.

Oh, I thought were meant you had been taking classes for 11 years.

Maybe I'll go to Japan after I finish my degree. See if I can improve my language.

They have Russian at my college too; I assume the situation is the same.
The possible reason there are no Japanese classes in my area is the amount of anti-Japanese sentiment left over from World War II followed by the Japanese industrial boom in the late '80s and since all of Japan's major industries crashed in the '90s and the 2000s (e.g. the anime industry) there hasn't been enough of a perceived demand.

Well the reason there was a Japanese class at my school was because my school was on good relations with a Japanese school, Toin Gakuen.

And because Japan is fairly close.

Eh, I'm sure I can invent something that will set me for life.

Like a... Shoe... Fork...

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 00:06:35

At 6/5/10 08:30 PM, Aigis wrote: Oh, I thought were meant you had been taking classes for 11 years.

Hahahah, I realize it would be easy to misinterpret what I said in that way...

Maybe I'll go to Japan after I finish my degree. See if I can improve my language.

Good luck. You may want to get a copy of this in the meantime.

Well the reason there was a Japanese class at my school was because my school was on good relations with a Japanese school, Toin Gakuen.

Hmmmm, I see.
The closest Japanese-affiliated school I can think of is Tennessee Gakuin University (a direct branch of Meiji Gakuin in Tokyo). I have heard that one local university has a good program, and I am looking into transferring for 2011-2012.

And because Japan is fairly close.

Much closer than it is here. That's all I can say.

Eh, I'm sure I can invent something that will set me for life.

Like a... Shoe... Fork...

Hahaha, I'll just leave you to mull that one over.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 04:35:32

I've been getting into Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles recently

Is anyone else a fan?

I've read a little bit of CLAMP outside of TRC also

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 12:31:27

Not really Anime related, but seeing as you're all (or at least most of you) my bros, thought I'd share this bit of awesomeness Twilight (the user, not the movie) created: That being, a drawing of yours truly.

All done while in Stickcam.
Something I urge my fellow anime fans to consider looking into.
As it's fucking awesome.

Also, so as to stay on topic, still need to finish Cowboy BeBop.
However the adventurous desire watching Lupin the 3rd brought about in my has been quenched, for now.

So much fun can be had at night.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 13:11:59

At 6/6/10 12:31 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: Also, so as to stay on topic, still need to finish Cowboy BeBop.

Same here, I'm on the eighth episode right now. It's a great show, but the lack of a continuous story stops me from being hooked to it like other shows. Needing to know what happens next always makes me want to watch more and more of a show.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-06 19:21:48

At 6/6/10 12:31 PM, BaronVonBadGuy wrote: All done while in Stickcam.
Something I urge my fellow anime fans to consider looking into.
As it's fucking awesome.

I go on Stickam every so often, but the video and audio is hell on my internet connection.

Plus it's mostly a bunch of people having their own private conversations, so I feel like some sort of awkward 19th wheel or something a lot of the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-07 18:20:46

At 6/6/10 08:29 PM, LaForge wrote: I went out and bought the complete boxset of Cowboy at FYE but returned it immediately when I realized it was a dub. That's one series I refuse to read subs for.

Eh, wasn't it this boxset: Anime Legend's Cowboy BeBop?
That's the only one I ever see, has both subs/dubs and various audio quality.

I've been wanting to get season 2 of InuYahsa, but the only places I find that sell it offer the "Dub only, As seen on TV version."
I usually stick with dubs anyway, but I prefer the ability to watch both.
Really wish Anime series wouldn't go out of print. So many classics unable to be bought for a reasonable price.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-07 20:05:45

Yeah, I have that box set and it has it dubbed.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 00:33:43

I've just took a break from playing Sengoku Rance and, boy, is it amazing. Downloaded it a month ago and it can shred a boring afternoon very fast. Managed to conquer three countries (two of them surrendered while I had to defeat one of them. I'm also kind of guilty of 'save stating' before some battles. Hell, I even save at the beginning of every turn) in two days.

Also, I'm currently reading the Pokémon Adventures/Special manga and it's been great so far (definitely has a better story than the anime and games imo). I'm going to start the Yellow arc later this week.

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 17:44:19

I have entered an infinite time loop.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 19:35:16

At 6/8/10 07:21 PM, Mendou wrote: Considering watching Monster, is the manga better?

This better be good, I'd rather not watch some pretentious garbage.

From what I've seen it's a rather good series, though I found certain scenes could have been more impactful had the dialog been presented in a better fashion.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 21:04:58

At 6/8/10 07:21 PM, Mendou wrote: Considering watching Monster, is the manga better?

This better be good, I'd rather not watch some pretentious garbage.

You can't really go wrong with this one, although in the dub, it seems like everyone is able to speak English without a German or even a Czech accent, it just feels weird to me, considering it does take place in Germany and Czechslovakia. Then again, in the original {Japanese} dub, there was no visable accent with any of the characters, so they wanted to be like that in the english dub.

As for the manga, I haven't read it yet, but you should probably read it first before watching the anime.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 22:53:04

At 6/8/10 09:04 PM, orangebomb wrote: You can't really go wrong with this one, although in the dub, it seems like everyone is able to speak English without a German or even a Czech accent, it just feels weird to me, considering it does take place in Germany and Czechslovakia.

Are they supposed to be speaking German and Czech?

If they are, I think they chose the correct path with not giving anybody accents. I hate 'English with an accent' as a tool for showing people are speaking in a foreign language.

It's just really annoying.

If people are speaking their own language, they should be speaking in their own accent. They aren't speaking it with a foreign accent. So if it's translated into English, it should be spoken with an accent native to an English speaker.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-08 23:54:46

At 6/8/10 10:53 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/8/10 09:04 PM, orangebomb wrote: You can't really go wrong with this one, although in the dub, it seems like everyone is able to speak English without a German or even a Czech accent, it just feels weird to me, considering it does take place in Germany and Czechslovakia.
Are they supposed to be speaking German and Czech?

If they are, I think they chose the correct path with not giving anybody accents. I hate 'English with an accent' as a tool for showing people are speaking in a foreign language.

It's just really annoying.

If people are speaking their own language, they should be speaking in their own accent. They aren't speaking it with a foreign accent. So if it's translated into English, it should be spoken with an accent native to an English speaker.

You do have some points, but if you look at some of the other dubs like Hellsing, Black Lagoon or Baccano, many of the VAs do have an accent to their respective characters, {i.e Alexander Anderson has a Scots-Irish accent, or the mobsters in Baccano having a New York accent} which for me makes it a little more believable and a little more accurate to the story and setting. Obviously in Japan, they would be in Japanese with no foriegn accents, now correct me if I am wrong here, but I haven't heard anyone speak Japanese with a British, Irish or any other accent, with the probable exception of a Korean accent.

The main reason for this is, is because English is spoked in a large amount of the world, whereas Japanese is only widely spoken in Japan, and a few other places. Because of this, there are a lot of dialects to the English language, and if the character in an anime is from a country other than Japan or America, It would just seem more natural for them to have an accent than have one with none. {that's not to say a Japanese accent hasn't been done before, but a lot of directors don't really consider it.}

At the end of the day, it is really up to the original directors of the anime to choose the best VAs for the characters, And granted, some of them who try to speak with a foriegn accent isn't exactly the best sounding, but as I have said before, it makes it more natural and believable to a character, than say if a Japanese character having a Boston accent in an English dub.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-09 00:25:25

At 6/8/10 11:54 PM, orangebomb wrote: You do have some points, but if you look at some of the other dubs like Hellsing, Black Lagoon or Baccano, many of the VAs do have an accent to their respective characters, {i.e Alexander Anderson has a Scots-Irish accent, or the mobsters in Baccano having a New York accent} which for me makes it a little more believable and a little more accurate to the story and setting. Obviously in Japan, they would be in Japanese with no foriegn accents, now correct me if I am wrong here, but I haven't heard anyone speak Japanese with a British, Irish or any other accent, with the probable exception of a Korean accent.

That's not what I'm talking about. If they're supposed to be foreign and talking in English, then sure they should have accents. But if they're supposed to be foreign and speaking in their own language, then they shouldn't have their own accent, because that's just distracting and dumb.

Take for example, Metal Gear Solid 3. Snake's supposed to be speaking Russian for a lot of the game, but he still has an American accent and speaks in English when he does so. That's because it would be horrible having Snake speak in a Russian accent.

Of course the best thing to do is to actually have them speak in their language. If they're supposed to be speaking in Czech, have the voice actors speak in Czech and subtitle it in English. That's authentic.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-09 00:39:25

Guys...
I have some important news.

You may never be able to read certain manga titles again...

I personally hate those sites anyway, but there are some people on here whom this would affect greatly.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-09 01:03:05

At 6/9/10 12:39 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
I personally hate those sites anyway, but there are some people on here whom this would affect greatly.

Basically me....

Noooooooo! {:[

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-09 02:02:41

At 6/9/10 01:03 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 6/9/10 12:39 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
Basically me....

Noooooooo! {:[

Next they'll target music and movie sites!

Yeah, it's not going to work. They'll try, but it's just going to cause more sites to pop up. Though I do like having a collection of anime and manga and anime is actually affected by piracy (because it's a niche market), the companies trying to stop these scan sites aren't going to succeed.

Response to Anime Club 2010-06-09 02:35:40

I mean I certainly don't agree in principle with the fact that i'm basically stealing free manga but to be honest I'm certainly not in a position to pay for manga. Especially in the volumes I would have to buy it to get all my series.

I could maybe subscribe to WSJ since that's 75% of what I read anyway; but even then i'd end up rereading at least 4-7 weeks of chapters and have to pay for it. Not to mention I lose access completely to the more 'mature' series I read like AIKI. Highschool of the Dead, and Ubel Blatt.

I know it won't succeed but they'll likely take down the more popular ones, the highest quality ones. They've already started. Gantz was taken off, and they even had EVERY Seinen series off for a while because of mature content.

My point is that I think it's a little easier to sway some of these websites than things like Limewire.