New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rory
Rory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Aug. 17th, 2011 @ 08:24 AM Reply

Ok, so I turned my pc on, tried to open tf2, and I got the message 'The latest version of directx is required to play this game'

I then tried to install the latest version of directx, nothing happens, then it fails, so my dilema is that I need to uninstall, then reinstall directx methinks, I would appreciated being added on steam so that I can talk through the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/id/usernamewas taken/

Thank you to anyone who sees this

Dean: Rorys parents didn't give him dancing lessons. That much is obvious.
There are many things I regret, one of them Is asking the above buckfast swilling prick for a sig.

BBS Signature
GamblerJustice
GamblerJustice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 04:01 AM Reply

Firefox 3.6.21 screwed up my add-ons so I installed an earlier 3.6 version, how to prevent Firefox to automatically update again?

Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 01:48 PM Reply

Figured I'd try my luck:

A while ago, I bought a Seagate 2TB external hard-drive. More recently, I needed to clean it so I deleted everything in the hard-drive. This lead to the hard-drive breaking for quite some time, unable to be recognised even by Device Manager. However, currently, it's recognised by Device Manager but not by Disk Manager. Any help to fix this?

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 03:39 PM Reply

At 9/1/11 04:01 AM, GamblerJustice wrote: Firefox 3.6.21 screwed up my add-ons so I installed an earlier 3.6 version, how to prevent Firefox to automatically update again?

Go to:

Tools

Options

Advanced

Then de-select the boxes underneath : "Automatically check for updates to:"

Or you could avoid the troublesome earlier versions of firefox and update to Firefox 6.0.2.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 9/8/11 01:48 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
A while ago, I bought a Seagate 2TB external hard-drive. More recently, I needed to clean it so I deleted everything in the hard-drive. This lead to the hard-drive breaking for quite some time, unable to be recognised even by Device Manager. However, currently, it's recognised by Device Manager but not by Disk Manager. Any help to fix this?

What version of windows are you using? You need Vista or 7 in order to re-format a 2TB drive.

AndyLau
AndyLau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 8/17/11 08:24 AM, Rory wrote: Ok, so I turned my pc on, tried to open tf2, and I got the message 'The latest version of directx is required to play this game'

I then tried to install the latest version of directx, nothing happens, then it fails, so my dilema is that I need to uninstall, then reinstall directx methinks, I would appreciated being added on steam so that I can talk through the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/id/usernamewas taken/

Thank you to anyone who sees this

During your DirectX install, how many background programs do you have running? If your systray is full, you're likely going to have some issues when re-installing a major system component such as DirectX. Try uninstalling a fwe of those useless background programs before you try installing DirectX again.

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 9/8/11 03:46 PM, brokendeck wrote: What version of windows are you using? You need Vista or 7 in order to re-format a 2TB drive.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
AndyLau
AndyLau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Sep. 10th, 2011 @ 12:49 AM Reply

At 9/8/11 05:18 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 9/8/11 03:46 PM, brokendeck wrote: What version of windows are you using? You need Vista or 7 in order to re-format a 2TB drive.

Then I think you may have done something fatal to the hard drive. :( Take it in for warranty if possible.

BBS Signature
zyzy
zyzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Oct. 12th, 2011 @ 03:01 PM Reply

hey Im having problems recording audio on my laptop, I think a while back i configured it to record from a mic and I cant find the setting now to set it back to the laptop recorder any help on where i could find this or set the recording device on my laptop back to its original setting.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Oct. 12th, 2011 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 10/12/11 03:01 PM, ZyklonB wrote: hey Im having problems recording audio on my laptop, I think a while back i configured it to record from a mic and I cant find the setting now to set it back to the laptop recorder any help on where i could find this or set the recording device on my laptop back to its original setting.

A slight hint about which OS you use would've been nice.

Assuming you use Vista or Win 7, just search for "Sound" in the search bar located in the start menu and start the program labeled "Sound". The second tab should be the one you are looking for.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

AndyLau
AndyLau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Oct. 31st, 2011 @ 11:11 AM Reply

Travis, how full is your hard drive? Your updates might need an appalling amount of space.

BBS Signature
Trey5169
Trey5169
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 10/12/06 12:31 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: + ---------- +
Computer Hospital II
+ ---------- +

Read before posting

Well, after much deliberation, I decided I thought it'd be good to buck up my ideas and start being helpful[ish] again. I looked through the old Computer Hospital [CH] thread and realised that is was pretty much redundant. Ya know, a lot of unanswered questions, layout was abysmal and a lack of updates; hence the new topic. Hopefully we can pick up where we left off.

So, I suppose I better layout some foundations and guidelines (a lot of this will just be cut and paste from the previous topic) which I hope will be read.

Good times.

+ ---------- +

What's it about?

If you have a problem with your PC, whether it's a virus/spyware/adware etc issue, or perhaps you would like an opinion on which piece of hardware is best; this is the place for you.

Why?

Well, why not? Although most of you would consider this common sense, some people do not. So, if you know this stuff, great, you can share your knowledge with the people who need to learn.

I have an issue regarding virus/spyware/adware/malware, what can I do?

There is a list of products below this initial post, please make sure you have downloaded and scanned them (follow the instructions). If the problem still exists, please post here saying "I have followed the instructions and I still have a problem". Please give the exact issue and, preferably, an image.

A knowledgeable user will then help you step-by-step. Remember, be patient, don't start posting "This topic is shit" if you have to wait 10 minutes before some responds. Important: Please remember to include your computers OS (XP,ME,98 etc)

I would like to add to this by saying that I now have a job where I work week on, week off. So some weeks, if you make a post, I will not be able to respond. However, I am counting on other users to do so. And if it's anything like the other topic, I don't think you'll be waiting too long.

I want your opinion on something, help? Or I need help with something other than malicious software

Just post your question and someone will help. Please be specific.

Get a Mac/Firefox/Opera/Linux

Yawn. GTFO

Ugh...How much will all this cost?

That's the beauty of this topic; all software shown is 100% free! All help you will receive is also free, so please be patient.

This post will continue... Don't post yet!

I have NOT downloaded any of the antivirus stuff, BUT I have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that this is not a virus-related issue. Mostly the fact that at school (and yes, I do go to newgrounds on computers at school, using google's cahe, because school blocks newgrounds.com) every desktop computer they have (windows 7 converted from windows xp) gets random "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" messages, after a few seconds of a frozen display. Sometimes, the problem persists, and after about 30 seconds, they get the BSOD. Keep in mind, this is EVERY desktop in the school, however, there are several lenovo laptops that are "optimized for video game performence" that run newgrounds just fine. A little laggy, but no BSOD. NOTE: until this point, I am referring to the pre-2012 version of newgrounds! After newgrounds was updated, the desktop computer's rate of getting the BSOD seemed to rise, and a new problem arose... My home started having the same issues! Now, until now, I was unable to provide system information, but, as this is my personal laptop, I can provide much more detail. PM me if you need to know more, but for now, here is a small list of somewhat important stuff, and some wierd factors that may play a part in the arising of the BSOD (and that secretly hope you can help ;) )
my computer is a dell inspiron 1501, OS windows 7, converted from windows vista.
My computer has 3 browsers: Internet explorer 9 beta, firefox (insert newest public release as of 4/17/2012) which, If I remember correctly, had been working fine before it updated itself, and google chrome, which I am using now, and only seems to hate the flash animations and movies.
computer specs: (I got this thing used, so IDK if anything was upgraded, however, if something was, I don't think I would be having issues right now) duo-core processor, 2 gb of ram, 80 gb hard drive space, and, in terms of computer rating, is a good all-around computer... untill you look at the graphics. It is not too good at that. (computer performance rating on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9:
Processor (calculations per second) 4.1
Memory (RAM) (Memory operations per second) 5.1 (highest subscore)
Graphics (desktop performance for windows Aero) 3.0 (lowest subscore)
Gaming graphics (3D business and gaming graphics performance 3.2
Primary hard disk (disk transfer rate) 4.9
Irregularities that may effect performance (not found on school desktops)
start up: My laptop will not start up unless it is physically warm, and will crash if it gets too hot. I don't shut it down unless I have to. It appears to loop the first few seconds of the start sequence, from where the dvd drive will spin to just before the screen comes on, making it impossible to even reach the BIOS until the computer is warm.
Monitor: the entire right side of the computer monitor is screwed up. It is a hardware issue, and I have fixed it by attatching and using a separate monitor.
Hard drive: The hard drive (which is held to the computer by screws on this model of computer) is not secured by screws. Basically, I can pull it out any time I want to. This does not pose an immediate issue, but it does bring up the question of possible/partial hare drive corruption before I got this machine.
Well, now that I'm done telling you all that you may or may not need to know, can you possibly help me? If I need to refresh your memory after all of that, my computer is getting the BSOD on newgrounds.
Thanks a lot, I can't wait to be able to fully enjoy newgrounds again!
P.s. If you are going to suggest me buying a new laptop, don't reply. I would rather not buy a new laptop, if I have a choice...

Why do I need a signature???
Because this is the best I can do right now.

queenofbabes
queenofbabes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Apr. 18th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 4/17/12 10:08 PM, Trey5169 wrote: I have NOT downloaded any of the antivirus stuff, BUT I have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that this is not a virus-related issue. Mostly the fact that at school (and yes, I do go to newgrounds on computers at school, using google's cahe, because school blocks newgrounds.com) every desktop computer they have (windows 7 converted from windows xp) gets random "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" messages, after a few seconds of a frozen display. Sometimes, the problem persists, and after about 30 seconds, they get the BSOD. Keep in mind, this is EVERY desktop in the school, however, there are several lenovo laptops that are "optimized for video game performence" that run newgrounds just fine. A little laggy, but no BSOD. NOTE: until this point, I am referring to the pre-2012 version of newgrounds! After newgrounds was updated, the desktop computer's rate of getting the BSOD seemed to rise, and a new problem arose... My home started having the same issues! Now, until now, I was unable to provide system information, but, as this is my personal laptop, I can provide much more detail. PM me if you need to know more, but for now, here is a small list of somewhat important stuff, and some wierd factors that may play a part in the arising of the BSOD (and that secretly hope you can help ;) )
my computer is a dell inspiron 1501, OS windows 7, converted from windows vista.
My computer has 3 browsers: Internet explorer 9 beta, firefox (insert newest public release as of 4/17/2012) which, If I remember correctly, had been working fine before it updated itself, and google chrome, which I am using now, and only seems to hate the flash animations and movies.
computer specs: (I got this thing used, so IDK if anything was upgraded, however, if something was, I don't think I would be having issues right now) duo-core processor, 2 gb of ram, 80 gb hard drive space, and, in terms of computer rating, is a good all-around computer... untill you look at the graphics. It is not too good at that. (computer performance rating on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9:
Processor (calculations per second) 4.1
Memory (RAM) (Memory operations per second) 5.1 (highest subscore)
Graphics (desktop performance for windows Aero) 3.0 (lowest subscore)
Gaming graphics (3D business and gaming graphics performance 3.2
Primary hard disk (disk transfer rate) 4.9
Irregularities that may effect performance (not found on school desktops)
start up: My laptop will not start up unless it is physically warm, and will crash if it gets too hot. I don't shut it down unless I have to. It appears to loop the first few seconds of the start sequence, from where the dvd drive will spin to just before the screen comes on, making it impossible to even reach the BIOS until the computer is warm.
Monitor: the entire right side of the computer monitor is screwed up. It is a hardware issue, and I have fixed it by attatching and using a separate monitor.
Hard drive: The hard drive (which is held to the computer by screws on this model of computer) is not secured by screws. Basically, I can pull it out any time I want to. This does not pose an immediate issue, but it does bring up the question of possible/partial hare drive corruption before I got this machine.
Well, now that I'm done telling you all that you may or may not need to know, can you possibly help me? If I need to refresh your memory after all of that, my computer is getting the BSOD on newgrounds.
Thanks a lot, I can't wait to be able to fully enjoy newgrounds again!
P.s. If you are going to suggest me buying a new laptop, don't reply. I would rather not buy a new laptop, if I have a choice...

Two main possibilities:
1) Windows is screwing around (very probable, nothing much you can do about it)
2) Physical hardware failure (very probable, given how old your machine is)

Well, since you do not want a new machine, and I note that you are using a laptop so it's not feasible to swap individual components...
Ok, I agree that it does not sound like a virus. First of all, have you done some basic general cleanup? Ccleaner sweep+registry check should suffice. Update windows.

Well, chances are that you have already done these, then the next best thing I can suggest is to eke out 10GB of space (might be hard since you only have 80), and install ubuntu. It's free, easy to use and install, and is your best bet at prolonging the usable life of your old machine when crappy windows fails...and it runs NG just fine (I'm writing this on an ubuntu machine)

MOID
MOID
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two May. 12th, 2012 @ 09:19 AM Reply

guys what do you think about this pre built machine? i wanna buy this for fraps recording + gaming and stuff so the ssd + hdd would be appropriate right?

Computer

also buying with this monitor:

Monitor

total price is: £865.51

it has a 60gig ssd + 500 gig hhd. the gpu is gtx 560 ti and the cpu is i5-2400 3.1ghz and im not planning to overclock. psu is ocz zs series 550w 80+ bronze, would it be enough for the gpu? and it has 8gigs of ram.

would you guys think this is a worthwhile investment for someone who knows nothing about computers? pls dont tell me to build my own because ive tried already and its time consuming plus the rig i made was really faulty even after watching tutorials from newegg.

thank you

MOID
MOID
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two May. 12th, 2012 @ 09:21 AM Reply

forgot to mention the machine i have now only has 1gig of ram and the cpu is intel celeron e1200 @ 1.60 ghz. plus the graphics is integrated.

so all i need is a machine that can handle modern games such as guild wars 2, diablo 3, etc. and record with fraps but not that intensive like 20 mins plus videos. just in parts. im planning to edit them with this pc as well so id like to hear some feedback

MOID
MOID
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two May. 12th, 2012 @ 09:24 AM Reply

i also want it to last me a while 3+ years + the computer comes in with windows 7 home premium and a set of keyboard + mouse

sorry for triple post
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

I'm having a problem here, my hard drive is screwed up and I really don't know what to do. File recovery isn't helping either since I tried using a trial version and they just won't let me use it.

Also, my mother went on a sketchy website, would this have anything to do with the hard drive?

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Computer Hospital: Part Two Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Oddity alert!

For whatever reason when my computer enters sleep mode it disconnects from the internet. When I wake it up it reconnects, it takes like 5 seconds to reconnect so I thought nothing of it....at first.

Whenever I download something the computer will still sleep and still disconnect, stopping the download process.

I use a netgear wireless router, the computer has built in wi-fi, yet I still use the router, primarily because I had the router from my old computer anyway.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature