00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Official Tablet Thread

19,450 Views | 259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 11:43:57

There are so many threads about Wacoms and tablets..
How about we have an official Tablet thread?

This thread is basically a thread deticated to tablets. Any problems with tablets? Any questions about Tablets involving flash? And most; WHICH IS THE BEST TABLET TO BUY?

There are like 2000 threads about Tablets so I summed it down into one big thread. For you all that have questions about the tablets this is the place for you. Tablets run a big major role in the life of the Flash Animators and highly web designers.

Tablets basically is a sub screen attached to the computer in which you can draw on and it would appear on the monitor for a finished product.

There are many kinds of tablets like Wacoms.
Wacoms are the most popular and most durable tablets made so far. Everyone that has a tablet usually has a Wacom. They sometimes are high in prices but they last a long time.

All information in the following are from the Wacom Official Website

Wacom Brands:
Graphire - 4X5 - Link!
Tablet Dimensions: 8.20" x 8.03" x .70"
Active Area: 3.65" x 5.02"
Pressure Levels: 512
Price: $99.95

# Contents: Graphire4 4x5 Pen Tablet, Pen, Pen Stand, and Mouse
# 2 CDs with Wacom tablet driver software, user manual, and bundled software
# One-year warranty

System Requirements:
Graphire4 - PC or Macintosh computer running Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with available USB port, CD-ROM drive, color monitor, and 128 MB RAM

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 - Windows 2000, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+

Corel Painter Essentials 2 - Windows 2000, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+

Nik Color Efex Pro 2 GE - Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 & higher or Photoshop 7.0 & higher.

------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
Graphire - 6X8 - Link!
Tablet Dimensions: 10.95" x 10.39" x .71"
Active Area: 5.94" x 8.22"
Price: $199.95
Available in Silver, White, and Metallic Blue

# Contents: Graphire4 6x8 Pen Tablet, Pen, Pen Stand, and Mouse
# 2 CDs with Wacom tablet driver software, user manual, and bundled software
# One-year warranty

System Requirements:
Graphire4 - PC or Macintosh computer running Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with available USB port, CD-ROM drive, color monitor, and 128 MB RAM

Nik Color Efex Pro 2 GE - Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 & higher or Photoshop 7.0 & higher.

Graphire - 6X8 (blue tooth) - Link!
Tablet Dimensions: 10.13" x 11.03" x .96"
Active Area: 5.94" x 8.22"
Price: $249.95

# Contents: Graphire Bluetooth pen tablet, pen, pen stand, mouse, rechargeable tablet battery, and universal power adapter
# 2 CDs with Wacom tablet driver software, user manual, and bundled software.
# One Year Warranty

System Requirements:
PC or Macintosh computer running Windows 2000, XP, or Mac OS 10.2.8 & higher with Bluetooth 1.1 (or higher) connection, CD-ROM drive, and color monitor.

Intuos 4X6 - Link!
Tablet dimensions: 10.6" x 8.5" x .5"
Active area: 4" x 6"
Pressure levels: 1024
Resolution: 5080 lpi
Max. data rate: 200 pps
Accuracy: +- .01"
Tilt range: +-60º

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 4x6 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# CD with Wacom tablet driver software and user manual
# DVD with bundled software
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:
Intuos3 pen tablet requires a PC or Macintosh computer running Windows Vista, XP, or 2000, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with a powered USB port and a CD-ROM or DVD drive to install the driver software.

A DVD drive is required to install the included software.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 requires Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.3+.

Other included software requires Windows XP or 2000, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+.

Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 IE requires Adobe Photoshop Elements (included) or Photoshop 7 and higher.

Intuos - 6X8 - Link!
Tablet dimensions: 13.6" x 10.3" x .5"
Active area: 6" x 8"

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 6x8 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:
Intuos3 pen tablet requires a PC or Macintosh computer running Windows Vista, XP, or 2000, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with a powered USB port and a CD-ROM or DVD drive to install the driver software.

Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 IE requires Adobe Photoshop Elements (included) or Photoshop 7 and higher.

Here are external links about tablets:
Wacom Official Website

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 11:49:51

To continue from where I left off here are some more information copied from the website.

Intuos 6X11 - Link!
Tablet dimensions: 16.5" x 10.3" x .6"
Active area: 6" x 11"

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 6x11 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:

Intuos 9X12 -Link!

Tablet dimensions: 17.3" x 13.4" x .6"
Active area: 9" x 12"

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 9x12 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:

Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 IE req

Intuos 12X12 - Link!

Tablet dimensions: 17.3" x 16.9" x 1.4"
Active area: 12" x 12"

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 12x12 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:

Intuos - 12X19 - Link!

Tablet dimensions: 24.5" x 16.9" x 1.4"
Active area: 12" x 19"

# Contents: Metallic gray Intuos3 12x19 Pen Tablet, Intuos3 Grip Pen, Five-button Mouse, and Pen Stand.
# Two-year warranty

System requirements:

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 11:51:33

More...

Accessories!

Intuos3 accessories are designed using Wacom's patented cordless, battery-free technology for use exclusively with Intuos3 tablets. If you're looking for accessories for your Intuos or Intuos2 pen tablet please visit WacomDirect.

Intuos3 Grip Pen
The Intuos3 Grip Pen uses Wacom's patented cordless, battery-free technology and features a cushioned, contoured barrel that reduces grip effort by up to 40%. With a 1,024 levels of pressure-sensitivity, a DuoSwitch, a built-in eraser, and three nib styles for different "feels", the Intuos3 Grip Pen gives you control, comfort, and productivity. Ships with a free Intuos3 pen stand.

$69.95

6D Art Pen
With six dimensions of pen control, the new 6D Art Pen offers you 360 degrees of barrel rotation, allows you to tilt the pen in any direction, and easily change pen position on the fly. Features include 1,024 levels of pressure-sensitivity, a large grip area for enhanced comfort, both hard plastic and felt nibs for different "feels", and utilizes patented cordless, battery-free technology for reliable and consistent operation. Ships with a free pen stand.

$69.95

Airbrush
A digital pen with the feel and control of a real airbrush. Features include a top-mounted fingerwheel to control ink flow, a pressure-sensitive tip and eraser, and a programmable top button. Ships with a free pen stand. See some tips on how to use your airbrush (pdf).

$99.95

Classic Pen
Smaller in diameter than the Grip Pen and without the cushioned grip, this pen is classic in both shape and functionality. It has a two-button DuoSwitch and a pressure-sensitive eraser. Ships with a free Intuos3 Pen Stand.

$49.95

Ink Pen
Similar in construction to the Classic Pen but with the significant feature that this pen has the ability to write or draw with ink. It does not have an eraser or a DuoSwitch. Ships with a free pen stand.

$79.95

Five-button Mouse
The Intuos3 five-button programmable mouse is ball-free, optics-free, and battery-free for smooth accurate tracking and reliably superior performance. Its ambidextrous low-profile design and nice weight balance give it just the right feel. Alternating between the pen and the mouse reduces repetitive motion.

$69.95

Lens Cursor
The Intuos3 patented cordless, battery-free Lens Cursor features five programmable buttons and an adjustable crosshair for ultra-precise work on the Intuos3 12x19 or 12x12. It is an ideal tool for CAD professionals and anyone doing highly detailed digitizing (such as civil engineers, urban planners, and geologists).

$99.95

Intuos3 travel bags
Durable, light-weight travel bags provide a stylish and effective way to protect your Intuos3 tablet when you're on the move. The water-resistant neoprene case has dual zippers for easy access and an elastic loop for convenient pen storage while traveling.

$19.95-$29.95

ALSO!!!!
DO NOT FORGET THAT I GOT THAT INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE!

This thread is about basic information and questions about Tablets.
The official site has much more information I just copied the product information.

So please enjoy.
So start asking questions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 11:58:02

More External Links:

Accessories - Page.

Cintiq Display
-------Cintiq 21UX
Screen Size: 21.3" diagonal
Screen Resolution: 1600x1200 (UXGA)
Active Area: 17" x 12.75"
Pressure Levels: 1024
Rotation: ±180º
Incline: 10º to 65º
Data Port: USB
All Specifications
Works with either a DVI or VGA video connection.

The Cintiq 21UX has an 21.3” high-resolution display and a dynamically adjustable stand that allows the display to be rotated, inclined, and even quickly removed for in-lap use. To further enhance your comfort the Cintiq 21UX comes with a cushioned Grip Pen for use directly on the screen allowing you to create in the most natural way possible. Be sure to check out the "Use Cintiq for" links on this page.

# Contents: Cintiq 21UX interactive pen display
# 8 ExpressKeysTM and 2 touchstrips integrated into Cintiq 21UX
# Cordless, battery-free Grip Pen with 2 side-switches and eraser
# Adjustable display stand tilts 10° to 60° and rotates +/- 180°
# Integrated video, data, and power cable
# 2 graphics adapters included (DVI-I-to-VGA and DVI-I-to-DVI-D)
# Desktop pen stand and pen holder attachment
# Replacement pen nibs (1 stroke nib, 1 felt nib, 3 standard nibs)
# Universal AC power adapter with US power cord
# ICC profile created with X-Rite MonacoOPTIXXR
# CD with driver software
# CD with application software
# User manual
# Two-year warranty

System requirements
PC- PC running Windows XP, Windows XP x64 or 2000. DVI or VGA video connector, available USB port, and CD-ROM drive.

Mac- Macintosh OS X, v10.2.6 or greater. DVI or VGA video connector, available USB port, and CD-ROM drive.

-------accessories

DTF
-------DTF-521
Screen Size: 15" diagonal
Screen Resolution: XGA (1024 x 768)
Active Area: 12" x 9"
Incline: 17º to 73º
All Specifications
Works with a VGA video connection.

System Requirements:
PC or Macintosh computer running Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with available USB port, CD-ROM drive, color monitor, and 128 MB RAM

-------DTF 720
Screen Size: 17" diagonal
Screen Resolution: SXGA (1280 x 1024)
Active Area: 13.3" x 10.65"
Incline: 17º to 73º
All Specifications
Works with a VGA video connection.

System Requirements:
PC or Macintosh computer running Windows 98SE, 2000, Me, XP, or Mac OS X 10.2.8+ with available USB port, CD-ROM drive, color monitor, and 128 MB RAM

The Tablet PC!!!!
Tablet Pc Link

Start asking questions.
I'm done posting for now. Hah =P

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 12:20:57

t 10/2/06 11:58 AM, Onnet wrote:

Something to add ;

The Volito 2, is a great tablet for serious animators, or just people pissing about with it, mine cost me £40 ($80) and is great, it has pressure senitivity, and great control, also comes with free software, which is an added bonus.

Awesome thread IDEA btw.

Thank you so much for the additional Wacom Products.
Heres a yahoo search page that tells more about the product:
Yahoo Search Page

I tried my best. This was really needed on the flash forums..so many threads =O

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 18:12:32

Bumpty bump bump

Any questions?
=D

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 18:23:23

Questoin: Is there any display on the tablet? Like, can you see what your drawing as you draw it on the tablet? Basicaly, does the tablet itself show what your drawing while you draw?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 18:58:11

At 10/2/06 06:23 PM, flamingsquirrel107 wrote: Questoin: Is there any display on the tablet? Like, can you see what your drawing as you draw it on the tablet? Basicaly, does the tablet itself show what your drawing while you draw?

yeah I am also wondering about that. do it show the computer screen?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 20:04:12

At 10/2/06 06:23 PM, flamingsquirrel107 wrote: Questoin: Is there any display on the tablet? Like, can you see what your drawing as you draw it on the tablet? Basicaly, does the tablet itself show what your drawing while you draw?

Yes. the tablet shows the exact same thing you're drawing on the PC screen. =D

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-02 22:23:10

At 10/2/06 08:04 PM, Rudy wrote:

He means does the tablet have a screen on itself, and the answer is that only the Cintiqs and cintiq jr, whatever it is, do that. Those are like 3000 dollars, so it might not be worth it if you are just having fun. That is a lot of money, and I hope to get one of those someday but that is a lot of money.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 03:00:17

At 10/2/06 10:23 PM, MikeToole wrote:
At 10/2/06 08:04 PM, Rudy wrote:
He means does the tablet have a screen on itself, and the answer is that only the Cintiqs and cintiq jr, whatever it is, do that. Those are like 3000 dollars, so it might not be worth it if you are just having fun. That is a lot of money, and I hope to get one of those someday but that is a lot of money.

You can also get a DTF-521 which is 15"(1024x768) with only 512 pressure levels, but it's much cheaper: $1299.

I'm going to get a DTF-720 17"(1280 x 1024), also only 512 prs. lvls. and for $1599. I'm lucky I have the money.

I'm only not courageous enough to buy it yet. I don't like to giving away much money...

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 13:41:39

I have a question:
-if you drew something in the very top-left corner of the tablet, inputting into flash, would it automatically reposition itself at the center of the Flash stage? Or would the cursor just bum around the top left of the screen without drawing anything?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 14:35:08

At 10/3/06 01:45 PM, Onnet wrote: Basically, the top right hand corner of the screen, is the top ight hand corner of your tablet, for example if you draw in the centre of your tablet, it will appear in the centre of the screen, same with if you draw on the left, it will appear on the left.

However, most tablets come with a setup in which you can set a defined area to work with. For example, you can set it so that the screen edges AREN'T the tablet's edges. You can reduce the work area, which is a good feature.

Also, Onnet, i sent you a pm.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 15:10:41

At 10/3/06 09:04 AM, Edvin wrote: Luis is gonna absolutely love this thread xD

No duh he would ;)
he LOVES tablets =PP

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 15:54:46

At 10/2/06 11:58 AM, Onnet wrote: Something to add ;

The Volito 2, is a great tablet for serious animators, or just people pissing about with it, mine cost me £40 ($80) and is great, it has pressure senitivity, and great control, also comes with free software, which is an added bonus.

Awesome thread IDEA btw.

i have volito 2 to and it is graet !!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 16:15:53

At 10/3/06 02:35 PM, Blaze wrote:
At 10/3/06 01:45 PM, Onnet wrote: Basically, the top right hand corner of the screen, is the top ight hand corner of your tablet, for example if you draw in the centre of your tablet, it will appear in the centre of the screen, same with if you draw on the left, it will appear on the left.
However, most tablets come with a setup in which you can set a defined area to work with. For example, you can set it so that the screen edges AREN'T the tablet's edges. You can reduce the work area, which is a good feature.

So if you got an a6 tablet it doesn´t nessesearly meen that your pen stroke will be in a huge area? Than you would like to.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-03 16:18:42

At 10/3/06 04:15 PM, artists wrote: So if you got an a6 tablet it doesn´t nessesearly meen that your pen stroke will be in a huge area? Than you would like to.

The size of the tablet represents your computer screen. For instance, the bigger the tablet is, the more precise and smaller the strokes will be. However, a big tablet can be a burden; so don't get one. Then again, with a small one, you can make the "work area" smaller, therefore making the brush bigger, and easier to work with. At least that's my opinion.

I don't use my tablet much.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 14:20:58

At 10/3/06 04:18 PM, Blaze wrote:
At 10/3/06 04:15 PM, artists wrote: So if you got an a6 tablet it doesn´t nessesearly meen that your pen stroke will be in a huge area? Than you would like to.
The size of the tablet represents your computer screen. For instance, the bigger the tablet is, the more precise and smaller the strokes will be. However, a big tablet can be a burden; so don't get one. Then again, with a small one, you can make the "work area" smaller, therefore making the brush bigger, and easier to work with. At least that's my opinion.
I don't use my tablet much.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought it was. I don't have a tablet; but I'm probably gonna purchase one soon.

At 10/3/06 03:54 PM, patu1 wrote:
At 10/2/06 11:58 AM, Onnet wrote: Something to add ;

Awesome thread IDEA btw.
i have volito 2 to and it is graet !!!

Glad to hear =D

Anymore questions? I'm here to help and search information as well as others.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 17:48:03

???
Any tablet questions? o_o''

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 17:54:37

At 10/4/06 05:48 PM, Rudy wrote: ???

I have one! Do any versions of Photoshop have pressure sensitivity?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 20:01:08

At 10/4/06 05:54 PM, skooj-lik-chaah wrote:
At 10/4/06 05:48 PM, Rudy wrote: ???
I have one! Do any versions of Photoshop have pressure sensitivity?

Honestly; I just researched on that. And I believe Photoshop 7 has the Pressure Sensitivity.
I believe photoshop elements as well has it. (located on the official Wacom Website)

Many threads about it on various websites asking the same question:

uno
dos
tres
cuatro
cinco seis

Question I believe is answered.
Anymore?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 20:07:54

Oh, I just find it in my version of photoshop.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 21:21:27

Damn, i wish i had enough for a Cintiq. :P

Is the Graphire4 4x5 worth it? Or should I save up for bigger tablet?

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 21:42:40

At 10/4/06 09:21 PM, Reyals wrote: Damn, i wish i had enough for a Cintiq. :P

Is the Graphire4 4x5 worth it? Or should I save up for bigger tablet?

Ahh let's see here. The Graphire 4X5 is worth it a matter afact.
It may be cheaper but it IS worth it.

Here's the reason for a BIGGER tablet.
If you want your drawings more detailed and more professional maybe I suggest a bigger tablet for a better finished product.

of course there is the zoom button but...whatever =P

Any tablet size is good; it just matters with the person using it.
If they want a big screen for their work to be displayed on than there you go . you got your big tablet. But if it doesn't really bother you than I suggest a 4X5.

enough said. Hope that helped.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 21:46:49

I'll send my friend a link to this thread next time he's on msn, he's thinking of getting a tablet to use for photoshop.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 21:52:06

At 10/4/06 09:46 PM, skooj-lik-chaah wrote: I'll send my friend a link to this thread next time he's on msn, he's thinking of getting a tablet to use for photoshop.

Awesome; I would love the publicity; and sharing with your friends.

I really hope this thread helps out people.
I really have noticed there have been SO MANY tablet threads.

Might as well keep it organized in here.

ATTENTION!!!
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who have any ideas or tricks in tablets tell us about them. Favorite Techniques, easier way to do things, cheap prices, cheap stores, bad tablets, good tablets, you name it!

I would love to hear people's questions and I'll try my best to answer them as well as other NG USERS.

Thank you guys for actually viewing this thread.

I appreciate it.. Much love <3

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-04 21:54:08

quite nice! saddly i have no questions, but can say that my Wacom 4x5 is my best friend. it's small, but not too small. i've used a couple others, and mine was the best out of them, so i just want to say, Wacom r00lzz ^_^

just tossing my two cents in the gutter :0

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-05 12:46:06

At 10/4/06 09:54 PM, BlueHippo wrote: quite nice! saddly i have no questions, but can say that my Wacom 4x5 is my best friend. it's small, but not too small. i've used a couple others, and mine was the best out of them, so i just want to say, Wacom r00lzz ^_^

just tossing my two cents in the gutter :0

Hah, awesome.
Thank you for posting and showing your appreciation.
I sadly need to still pick up a tablet but I prefer mouse right now at the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-05 22:42:15

*bump*
Sorry?
Any questions?

Need any help with YOUR tablet?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2006-10-08 11:16:00

Is Wacom ArtPad any good?
I want to know because there is a guy who want to sell it.

BBS Signature