New Topic Respond to this Topic
fuzz
fuzz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 16:59:12 Reply

At 9/29/06 04:53 PM, Luis wrote: I had to do something... i noticed our forum performance numbers for Sept. and we were losing pageviews. :(

-L

yea im sorry, i gave up posting here as well with only a post or two a night :(
But hey at least now im back again

lol like anyone cares im back XD
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 18:53:11 Reply

At 9/29/06 06:45 PM, BleeBlap wrote:
At 9/29/06 06:39 PM, different wrote:
At 9/29/06 06:36 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote: god i missed 4 pages today.
Oh boo hoo...
This thread will become full of people saying they've missed posts.
What, somebody points out that more than half of the posts on this page are pointless spam about how many posts the particular member has missed due to school/work and you attack him?

your more upset than me, either im loved or self-hating.

and most of the posts i've seen are luis appreciation posts and people who want to snuggle with him( damnit luis you got me censoring myself)

i dont know if this thread was a good idea.

At 9/29/06 06:46 PM, different wrote: Is swearing commonplace in a reg lounge?

fuck no

different
different
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 18:56:11 Reply

At 9/29/06 06:53 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote:
At 9/29/06 06:46 PM, different wrote: Is swearing commonplace in a reg lounge?
fuck no

Thank fuck for that.

Here's a thought: How many of the people in here know how to code up a basic HTML page and style it with CSS?

> twitter.

reelbigcheese
reelbigcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 18:57:32 Reply

At 9/29/06 06:56 PM, different wrote: Here's a thought: How many of the people in here know how to code up a basic HTML page and style it with CSS?

Ohoh pickme! PICK ME!. I CAN!

Whyso?

different
different
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:02:37 Reply

At 9/29/06 06:57 PM, reelbigcheese wrote:
At 9/29/06 06:56 PM, different wrote: Here's a thought: How many of the people in here know how to code up a basic HTML page and style it with CSS?
Ohoh pickme! PICK ME!. I CAN!

Whyso?

I was just thinking back to when I started Flash - I had no CLUE of how HTML/CSS worked, I just knew that Flash outputted a code which I could copy and paste into a free web host and I would have a website... Now I know both of these + XHTML and find it a lot easier embedding content and styling the page around the Flash (or removing it completely)

Just wondered if there's people who don't understand the basics of static sites yet but are competent flash designers.

> twitter.

Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:08:03 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:02 PM, different wrote: Just wondered if there's people who don't understand the basics of static sites yet but are competent flash designers.

I pretty much have no clue how to code anything. I picked up the very very basics of AS as I went along, so I know enough. if not I can just ask someone :).

I can piece together a website though through dreamweaver, so thank god for that. Otherwise i'd have to use flash which could be a pain, or use geocities page builder which KIKS ASS!

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:11:03 Reply

I think HTML should be manditory programming, it's like second nature to me now. Friends call me crazy for not using Dream Weaver, ect, but it feels better using a text editor and hand coding, dunno.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:13:14 Reply

K i am gonna have to side with importentboy and others who've brought it to my attention that this thread is going out of control. If you have nothing to contribute to the general flash scene then dont post or youll get a ban for that day.. this isnt really a post your one liner when youre bored type of thing.. specially that how many pages you've missed shit. I am going to self censor myself from contributing to spam topics as well.. this is rediculous and expect a ban if you are gonna come in here and just polute.

-L

None

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:17:01 Reply

Hey Luis, can you clarify the rule for this thread "no polling"?

I wanted to post a discussion starter but I also didn't want to break that rule. Thanks.

BBS Signature
different
different
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:19:11 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:08 PM, Mogly wrote: I pretty much have no clue how to code anything. I picked up the very very basics of AS as I went along, so I know enough. if not I can just ask someone :).

I can piece together a website though through dreamweaver, so thank god for that. Otherwise i'd have to use flash which could be a pain, or use geocities page builder which KIKS ASS!

That's interesting, your site does look very good. However on close inspection of the source the Dreamweaver link is evident (tables for layout)

At 9/29/06 07:11 PM, JoystickX wrote: I think HTML should be manditory programming, it's like second nature to me now. Friends call me crazy for not using Dream Weaver, ect, but it feels better using a text editor and hand coding, dunno.

Dreamweaver isn't really that great - the code editor in Dreamweaver is very good though - if they stripped out the unnecessary crap like wizards and put their features such as code block hiding, text colouring, tag completion, inbuilt colour picker when you type 'color:', etc, into a cutdown text editor (perhaps even with live preview - but not design view) then it would certainly be a very good alternative to Notepad...

I use Tag at the moment which is a Mac program that has code colouring and live preview, but it's nowhere near as good as Dreamweaver is in terms of shortcuts...

> twitter.

Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:20:40 Reply

At 9/29/06 03:08 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Okay, I am just going to start compiling a list of birthdays, and then when we get a good number, I'll post it, and then I'll get another 10 people running after the list telling me they want on, then I'll post it again.

oooh. :D Septemer 15 please.

Siggy0501
Siggy0501
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:25:26 Reply

At 9/29/06 03:06 PM, TrueDarkness wrote: Heh, just because you live in NY doesn't mean you live in the city, there are tons of areas in NY that you could live in =p

Haha I live in NYC (upper west side w00t!)

My birthday is February 11, three days before VDay.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:25:34 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:17 PM, DFox wrote: Hey Luis, can you clarify the rule for this thread "no polling"?

I wanted to post a discussion starter but I also didn't want to break that rule. Thanks.

no 'boxers or briefs?' polls or shit like that... things that dont at all engage in a valid flash conversation.. also for the people compiling birthdays just send the PM's to jmtb02 rather than making a post here.. lets try to keep this relatively easy to follow.. it doesnt make much sense for someone to goto school and come back and have 90 pages to catch up on.... general rule of thumb is if you want to speak to someone directly or comment to that one person. send a PM. unless you are following up your reply with something that can continue the conversation. Its annoying having 200 one liners.

None

DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:32:12 Reply

In here, I'm aware we are all Flash authors.

One of the reasons I like making games is because I love seeing my work on famous websites.

So, here's my question to you. Of all time, what is your biggest accomplishment of getting your Flash on a website? Let me show you what I mean.

In about 6th grade, a friend showed me addictinggames.com. It was a childhood favorite of mine. I always thought how awesome it would be to see my work there one day. So in my opinion, when my first game made addictinggames, that in my eyes was my biggest Flash accomplishment.

This is different for everyone. I know some people who think getting a game on addictinggames is meaningless, and that's fine. For some people the answer to this might be Newgrounds front page, newgrounds portal, ebaumsworld (that's my second), stuff like that.

So, what is your biggest accomplishment of getting your Flash on a website?

At 9/29/06 07:25 PM, Luis wrote: no 'boxers or briefs?' polls or shit like that

OK... My post above isn't really like that, but if you don't like it just delete it because I'm not sure if it's a poll.

BBS Signature
Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:35:52 Reply

well, my biggest flash accomplishment has been... well, getting my game sponsored. Ive never even reached frontpage, so that is mostly my aim for now.

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:40:17 Reply

I was excited when my film made 5th place for the daily heh...and even then, that's probably not a big deal for most.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Blaze
Blaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:45:04 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:40 PM, JoystickX wrote: I was excited when my film made 5th place for the daily heh...and even then, that's probably not a big deal for most.

it'd be for me - my daily prizes have been stolen everytime. D:

Reyals
Reyals
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:49:29 Reply

When I got Daily Fourth I was pretty excited, and dissapointed.

Couple Hours Work+Tweens+Clock/Lock+Violence+Funny Song=Daily Fourth?

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature
Siggy0501
Siggy0501
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 19:59:10 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:40 PM, JoystickX wrote: I was excited when my film made 5th place for the daily heh...and even then, that's probably not a big deal for most.

Yea some small collab part I co-authored reached daily 5th. I was pretty excited at the time, but I do not like the collab as a whole, and I kinda regret having it be my first submission.

In the future, my aims and hopes would be to reach some other daily awards, as well as possibly making front page, although as was mentioned earlier, the front page standards have been progressing as artists' potentials have been.

DFox, I too admired Addicting Games as a 6th grader and still do.

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 20:34:19 Reply

At 9/29/06 04:09 PM, Johnny wrote: You want an art director job? My girlfriend is Senior art director of multimedia and print for Gillespie advertising. Want a job? Move to Jersey. =) You can do ads for all the mcNeil products like motrin and Imodium.

What? Don't offer Luis a job! offer me one! I'm actually studing multimedia and university and my 3rd year (08/09) is in industry i.e. working.

Srsly, johhny hook me up with a job mate!

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 20:52:04 Reply

At 9/29/06 08:34 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: What? Don't offer Luis a job! offer me one! I'm actually studing multimedia and university and my 3rd year (08/09) is in industry i.e. working.

out of all the people you left, you sure post the most

KaynSlamdyke
KaynSlamdyke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 20:53:40 Reply

At 9/29/06 08:34 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: What? Don't offer Luis a job! offer me one! I'm actually studing multimedia and university and my 3rd year (08/09) is in industry i.e. working.

I only hope your university didn't suck ass at it's placement system like mine did. I didn't get a third year in industry for my degree...

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 20:54:53 Reply

At 9/29/06 08:53 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote: I only hope your university didn't suck ass at it's placement system like mine did. I didn't get a third year in industry for my degree...

Ouch. What Uni did you go to and what did you study?

At 9/29/06 08:52 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote: out of all the people you left, you sure post the most

I never said I was leaving, I just said I'd be around less. Which is true. Over the summer I was never offline!

BBS Signature
DFox
DFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 20:57:47 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:35 PM, Blaze wrote: well, my biggest flash accomplishment has been... well, getting my game sponsored. Ive never even reached frontpage, so that is mostly my aim for now.

That's a very good accomplishment. I was excited when I got my first game sponsored also.

Another good one... And that IS a big deal. Most people dream of one day getting a daily prize.

At 9/29/06 07:59 PM, Siggy wrote: DFox, I too admired Addicting Games as a 6th grader and still do.

Cool. It's the biggest Flash game site on the web so it's pretty popular.

BBS Signature
jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:03:25 Reply

At 9/29/06 07:32 PM, DFox wrote: So, what is your biggest accomplishment of getting your Flash on a website?

I've never really had a goal to get my games on any websites... I think it just kind of happened as some of my stuff got a bit more popular. What I really wanted more than anything was just to have people enjoy my work for free and for fun, which is something I think I might have achieved, but would like to achieve more of.

I think I have had two big accomplishments so far. When Ball Revamped 2 released, EbaumsWorld picked it up and killed my bandwidth just off of linked traffic. For me, that was one of the coolest things ever (even with the $40 I had to pay in bandwidth overages that month, I had to take my website down for a few days). The second biggest accomplishment was getting onto BBC World Television, where they featured the game in a small one minute feature.

But yeah, my ultimate goal is to provide anyone and everyone free content that can be enjoyed, that even someone without a computer could go and play at a library or some other public place. In a sense, I feel like I am giving something back to those original developers way back when I was younger, who used to produce free games for the Mac and Apple IIe which killed so much time for me when I used to wait after school for parents to pick me up.

Hi there!

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:06:08 Reply

At 9/29/06 09:03 PM, jmtb02 wrote: I've never really had a goal to get my games on any websites...

I don't know if you heard, but Dark Cut was featured on Maxim's webiste and weekly news letter, last week.

BBS Signature
jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:23:13 Reply

At 9/29/06 09:06 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: I don't know if you heard, but Dark Cut was featured on Maxim's webiste and weekly news letter, last week.

I did hear about that, I saw the thread a few days late. Thanks for finding that :).

Hi there!

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:24:49 Reply

At 9/29/06 09:23 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Thanks for finding that :).

haha, it wasn't really hard to find it, I get the maxim news letter every week anyway! :D

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:35:48 Reply

Sorry for posting this here, but it is semi flash related. I'm thinking of making a western film, it's something not really done a lot here...I think it's untapped potential. Anyways, I want to make my own score, but I don't know what instruments are typically assosiated with western. I realise this is more audio forum suited, but they're incompitent for the most part there and my thread has just been refered to google, which I obviously checked. Again, I only ask here because I will be making a flash on it, and there is a decent crowd that reads this.

Sorry if it upsets anyone, if it does, delete this :(

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-29 21:39:58 Reply

An lone acoustic guitar is good for a western. But be sure to use an old honky tonk piano sound for the saloon scenes.

BBS Signature