00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,881,897 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:13:19

At 9/28/06 05:58 PM, Johnny wrote:
At 9/28/06 05:56 PM, NegativeONE wrote:
At 9/28/06 05:05 PM, jmtb02 wrote: I feel old here. I stated using Flash 5 when I was 15, and I am now 20.
If it's any consolation, Luis and I still have seniority.
almost 27 years old... youngins.

when do you turn 27 anyway?

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:17:17

At 9/28/06 05:58 PM, Johnny wrote: almost 27 years old... youngins.

Actually, Id say, you = oldies.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:31:44

At 9/28/06 06:17 PM, Blaze wrote:
At 9/28/06 05:58 PM, Johnny wrote: almost 27 years old... youngins.
Actually, Id say, you = oldies.

They'll be dead soon.

Hey, does anyone know how a video like this would be made? I'm not talking about all the pre stuff, i'm talking about afterwards, when they have captured the footage of the band playing and wanted to trace it. I don't think it was made in flash, but then what was it made in?

- Kasabian - Shoot the runna

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:37:52

At 9/28/06 05:25 PM, Barbeq wrote: I came.
I saw.
I posted.

And now the world will always remember me, suck on that!

Yes! Face from the past is back in action.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:38:10

the only thing i dont like about this is trying to look for debates. kinda hard to find when a new one is started. it would probably be better if the start of all debates were completely bolded, making them easy to spot...i dunno, thought it would help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:40:49

4 pages in 7 hours.

You gurs need to get out more.

Also Johnny K is really old <3

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:53:22

At 9/28/06 06:44 PM, JoystickX wrote: Aren't you suposed to be gone? ;)

Not gone, just around less.

I'm just gonna be posting late at night when I drunk. (like now)

I've been drinking since 5PM (it's now midnite).

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:53:45

TFRL? K.

Here's a question, what classes should one take in high school/college if they want to pursue a career in Flash or animation, or some related field like graphic design?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:56:38

At 9/28/06 06:53 PM, animoney wrote: TFRL? K.

Here's a question, what classes should one take in high school/college if they want to pursue a career in Flash or animation, or some related field like graphic design?

i for one am taking a computer class every single day until school ends. you should probably take art class as well, but i stopped that. i regret it now...but my computer class lets me expiriment with animatin, programming, artwork and 3D. so its fun.

and i go to nation animation competitions through my comp class. that should help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 18:59:07

At 9/28/06 06:53 PM, animoney wrote: Here's a question, what classes should one take in high school/college if they want to pursue a career in Flash or animation, or some related field like graphic design?

Either take an Animation course, or do the course I'm doing!

This year we learn:

AS
Java
C/C++
CSS
HTML
XHTML
Photoshop

Next year we do:

Maya (3D Animation)
Video Editing
Sound Editing
SFX

God knows what we do in the final year!!

Srsly, do multimedia tech and design!

My department has got the fast internet connectin on campus: 1GB per sec, and they've got a 50TB (yes Tb) server!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:01:38

At 9/28/06 06:57 PM, JoystickX wrote: Nothing to do with the program.

By the time the course is useful to you, the programs likely dated.

thats stupid. even if a person is 1 or 2 versions behind, the newest version will not be so different they cant tranfer thier skills from to the other. Graphics company WANT people to be good at flash and photoshop. And you need portfolios to get into art school and 3D or 2D animation. And to make a portfolio you need to know the program, especialy 3D.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:02:58

At 9/28/06 07:01 PM, 23450 wrote: thats stupid. even if a person is 1 or 2 versions behind, the newest version will not be so different they cant tranfer thier skills from to the other.

What about AS2.0 to AS3.0??

From what I heard theyre complewely different.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:05:35

At 9/28/06 07:02 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: What about AS2.0 to AS3.0??

From what I heard theyre complewely different.

are you saying learning how to program in as 2 will not help at all in programing 3? alot of the syntax might be different, but alot of the concepts will still be there allowing you to use your AS 2 knoladge to 3.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:10:07

At 9/28/06 06:53 PM, animoney wrote: Here's a question, what classes should one take in high school/college if they want to pursue a career in Flash or animation, or some related field like graphic design?

Art - definately (I didnt and i think i should have done)
English language - im studying animation atm and my english language study has come in handy quite a few times.
Not computing - i did that and it hasnt really helped at all (unless ur going for the AS side of flash)

Mogly - not sure. but for the paint splats they probably didnt rotoscope it because it would be too tricky, they probably shot black paint on a white background (or vice versa) and then altered it digitally to add colour. I think the main bit could have been done on photoshop actually. You can save files as a filmstrip and then import into photoshop and rotoscope there for the people and composite in some other program

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:11:32

At 9/28/06 07:07 PM, JoystickX wrote: Point being, for animation, he's better off focusing on traditonal methods behind it, not the 'it' programs currently doing it.

Obviously you need to know the program, but most people I know are self taught, it's not really hard to learn photoshop and the other programs you've mentioned. It can be difficult for some people to understand animation concepts however. You'll do better in animation career with a animation degree over whatever program it is, there's plenty of programming certification out there that they'll accept as resume material.

and where exacly did i say i was only talking about programming? and when the hell did photshop become an easy program to learn!!! am i missing something? there is nothing wrong with being a computer animator. learning how to do it will only be a posotive, nothing "bad" can come from it really. traditional might be respected more, but i wouldn't go as far to say traditional animators unerstand animation concepts better then computer animators do. i see lots of concepts used in computer animation.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:14:40

At 9/28/06 07:05 PM, 23450 wrote: are you saying learning how to program in as 2 will not help at all in programing 3? alot of the syntax might be different, but alot of the concepts will still be there allowing you to use your AS 2 knoladge to 3.

Well yeah, obviously knowing any langauge will help you pick up others quicker ;) what I was saying was is that isn't as3 much more like a progrmaing langauge , rayher than a scripting langauge, so you'd still have to learn lots of new code etc, and employeers would preffer as3 scripters to as2 ones.

anywaY:

fuck employers, it;s all about beeing free-lance!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:26:13

At 9/28/06 07:18 PM, JoystickX wrote: what I'm saying is, it will do someone better to know how to ANIMATE then knowing how to 'animate' in _____.

Entirely right. If you know how to use every button in 3DS Max but cant animate a decent walk cycle to save your life, they dont wanna know about it.
Also, being able to draw is useful whichever end of animation you're heading for 3D, stop motion or 2D.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:26:22

At 9/28/06 07:14 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: anywaY:

fuck employers, it;s all about beeing free-lance!!

I spent a year doing freelance, and you'd think itd be a sweet gig to wake up and work in your underwear and its not bad but i realized it wasnt for me. I found that most of the time I was doing administrative stuff to keep my freelance business affloat rather than actually doing the work... things like keep track of invoices and outvoices and writing things off for tax exemptions (which was great! I miss it) and just really marketting yourself and keeping client relations in the green.

Freelancing for me ended up being 70% administrative and 30% actual freelance. I think that if you start off doing freelance, the best thing to do is get a creative agency to pick you up and market you for you, itll save you from having to be a jack of all trades which is very stressful.

Then aside from administative theres the issue of being very responsible. One of the hardest things for me was to get myself in a mode where i would take it seriously enough to treat it like my job.. its just too tempting having your bed right there and the tv and the xbox ... etc etc.

I think freelancing is best when you've already earned your stripes in the work force, once you know have developed business relationships and know what the work environment is like ... freelancing then feels natural because you have been in the trenches and now possess the knowledge and experience to be able to manage yourself and a small staff if necessary.

I see myself returning to freelance once i'm at an art director level. I'd also like to be a college teacher someday.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:28:22

At 9/28/06 06:59 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: This year we learn:

My college has a 200Tb server (two of them, one hundred each) and we are doing flash, making films in general, photoshop and a bunch of other shit.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:31:22

At 9/28/06 07:27 PM, JoystickX wrote:
I see myself returning to freelance once i'm at an art director level. I'd also like to be a college teacher someday.
Hopefully you do, I'm in college in two years and I'd love to have you as a teacher :)

Though, I still haven't decided where I'm going... I'm thinking RISD, or Cal Arts.

Risd is pretty pricey, i got accepted there but i couldnt afford it. It must have a good animation program because Seth McFarlane graduated from there, the irony is that we are the same year and i would have been in school with him lol.

Cal Arts has a strong illustration program thats all i know bout it. Ringling college of art and design in FLA has a pretty good 3d animation program, i think eric drobile went there.. i was supposed to go there but the west palm beach area is just full of old people.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:36:24

At 9/28/06 07:26 PM, Luis wrote: its just too tempting having your bed right there and the tv and the xbox ... etc etc.

PS2> XBOX >:(

But, yeah i kno what you're saying. my dad was telling me that i'd fail if I went freelance straight away. so thats why im doing a sandwich course; i spend my 3rd year working in industry then come back in the 4th year to finsh my degree, that way i can actually build up some contacts while i'm still in university. ;)

so luis if want an assistant in 2008/2009 let me know ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:37:36

At 9/28/06 07:36 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: so luis if want an assistant in 2008/2009 let me know ;)

You can be my modding alter ego perhaps.

;)

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:46:09

At 9/28/06 01:30 PM, Jindo wrote: A forum I used to browse made it a rule that you had to give appropriate titles for things,

Everyone should take a look at this because Wade is cracking down: http://www.newground../topic.php?id=578686

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 19:50:35

At 9/28/06 07:37 PM, Luis wrote: You can be my modding alter ego perhaps.

Bruce Wayne to your Batman? It's a done deal!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 20:20:18

At 9/28/06 07:46 PM, DFox wrote:
At 9/28/06 01:30 PM, Jindo wrote: A forum I used to browse made it a rule that you had to give appropriate titles for things,
Everyone should take a look at this because Wade is cracking down: http://www.newground../topic.php?id=578686

what a fucken dick. he could have just said, "be more descriptive". i mean the topic starter suffers the most when he doesnt give a descriptive title, the problem would've fixed itself

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 20:27:40

At 9/28/06 08:20 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote: what a fucken dick. he could have just said, "be more descriptive". i mean the topic starter suffers the most when he doesnt give a descriptive title, the problem would've fixed itself

Actually, that kid who got banned was nothing but an ass to me, and probably the same to Wade, so I hope Wade benched him for a very long time.

If it was anyone else I might have agreed with you.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 20:34:44

At 9/28/06 08:27 PM, DFox wrote: Actually, that kid who got banned was nothing but an ass to me,

True dat.

Zen can't even spell Cobain.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 20:41:04

Do I get to be a "reg"?

<3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 20:52:44

At 9/28/06 08:41 PM, zoidburg016 wrote: Do I get to be a "reg"?

You do if you read the first post...

always behind schedule.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 21:01:28

I read it, but I'm just a rebel like that

jk

<3

BBS Signature