New Topic Respond to this Topic
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-14 17:44:31 (edited 2017-05-14 17:47:45) Reply

At 5/14/17 05:01 PM, MSGhero wrote: Good thing @egg82 is an exorcist.

BEGONE, DEMONS!
BY THE POWER VESTED IN ME BY GATES HIMSELF, I SAY BEGONE!

Edit: Seriously, though. Your laptop does NOT like running Linux. Good thing diskpart is adequate enough for SSDs.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-14 22:52:54 (edited 2017-05-14 23:04:42) Reply

Alrighty, here's a story for those who were out all weekend and have no idea what in the world just happened (and as of a few hours ago is happening again, but we'll get to that in a sec)

Now I normally wouldn't even be following this story much beyond "yeah, this happened. Again." but there's a few particular bits and moments that very much interested me. So here I am. Also, my days and times may be slightly off. I've been following this story off and on all weekend.

Out story being on a Friday afternoon. I'm in the middle of calling professors across the country to push out new company-approved laptops and reading Reddit between calls. After a quick refresh of my home screen I see a new post with some title like "Ransomware sweeping across the globe" - thinking this was a sensationalist piece with little value (I mean, they mostly are) I skip it and find a new post on r/talesfromtechsupport. Ooh, goody!

Fast-forward a few hours. As I'm heading back from work I once again hop on Reddit and see what's going on. A few more pieces about this malware, so I figure "eh, why not?" and dig into one a bit. Again, looks pretty sensationalist and I wasn't interested in overblown facts in an article telling me everything I already knew. Closed, and found a few new posts on r/gaming and r/talesfromretail.

It wasn't until Saturday morning that I really noticed something was up. After reading Twitter and asking my Google Home what was going on in the world, I got some interesting news. Apparently the ransomware variant I had quickly checked up on and forgotten about had made a big splash. Bigger than usual. I decide to do a little more digging since I thought this particular variant was pretty par-for-the-course stuff.

So, here's the thing; I was right. This strain of malware was very standard and didn't really bear anything unusual. Uses "zero-day" exploit? Check. Infecting a ton of PCs? Check. Standard encryption and warning screen? Check. Asking for a variant amount of money based on factors present on the internal network? Check. AV evasion? Triple-check.

Except for one little thing that really bugged me. This malware contained a kill-switch in the form of a domain. Basically, this malware had a dropper (all of them do) that first checks to see if a domain gives a response. If it does, it shuts down immediately and nothing further happens. If it doesn't, it continues on and starts encrypting files. Again, this wouldn't have bugged me so much except for the fact that everything else was perfect. Everything. It would have been unbreakable and damn-near impossible to stop except for that one VERY BIG flaw.

A researcher by the name of MalwareTech discovered this domain and immediately bought it, not knowing what would happen. This is standard procedure for him in an attempt to track infections. This is the part of the story, I think, that made the whole thing really explode. Also, poor guy has now had to do a lot of diversion on his domain, Twitter, and e-mail accounts and has also been unintentionally doxed by the media. Ouch.

So this all raises a few questions. Clearly, the makers of this malware knew exactly what they were doing and how to do it. Were they being careless or was this simply a test? Either way, we're clear of it for now. It's only a matter of time before a new variant of this rolls around without the kill-switch, though..

Sunday morning rolls around with lots more fanfare but no more real news of this ransomware. It looks dead, and thank MT for it. Sunday afternoon, however, is a very different story. All of a sudden pings start coming up about a new variant that uses the same code and the same dropper minus the killswitch. Welp. Fuck.

So, here's the rundown on how this thing works. Prepare for hell on Monday if you're one of the poor souls without patches.
It uses an exploit developed by the NSA a month or so prior called ETERNALBLUE (this exploit just got a Metasploit module named MS17-010)
ETERNALBLUE is an exploit targeted at SMB1 and is effective on all Windows systems that use it, including Win 10 up to some security patches (again, a month or so ago)
Also, yeah, I was wrong about the exploits earlier not affecting Win 10. Looks like at least one did, but researchers were using machines that were too up-to-date because MS couldn't put out a security bulletin on the bug due to an NSA gag-order.

Once you've got the red warning screen, it's game over and your files are already gone. I hope you either have working backups or a lot of money.

Have a happy Monday!

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-15 04:37:40 Reply

At 5/13/17 12:44 PM, egg82 wrote: this might help some. You can also use FLAC with OGG, so you've really got your bases covered in terms of "compression like MP3" or "losslessness" - take your pick, really.

Hmm, didn't know that.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-16 00:14:23 Reply

At 5/12/17 11:29 PM, Gimmick wrote: The last time I encountered an OGG file that wasn't being ironic was in 2008. Wasn't the Vorbis project plagued with roadblocks too? Last I heard it was inferior to MP3, and its video codec was inferior to MP4. Seemed like the only thing going for it was that it was open source.

pretty much literally every game uses ogg for music, its widely supported in game engines and audio engines and has good open source support for loading it if you wanted to use something else.

also doesn't have padding at the end like mp3 does so it loops perfectly without any extra work

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-16 22:25:36 Reply

At 5/16/17 12:14 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: pretty much literally every game uses ogg for music, its widely supported in game engines and audio engines and has good open source support for loading it if you wanted to use something else.

Hmm, I'll have to check a few game directory files then.

also doesn't have padding at the end like mp3 does so it loops perfectly without any extra work

That's nice to know...does that mean I can replay them smoothly in VLC? (I know foobar2000 can replay almost all media smoothly, but can't install it right now)

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-22 02:07:53 Reply

Can't let these kids and their devlogs show me up. Finally wrote something since I finally have free time again http://msghero.newgrounds.com/news/post/986889

Free time is nice time
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-22 02:33:23 (edited 2017-05-22 02:33:44) Reply

At 5/22/17 02:07 AM, MSGhero wrote: Can't let these kids and their devlogs show me up. Finally wrote something since I finally have free time again http://msghero.newgrounds.com/news/post/986889

Free time is nice time

Yeah, no kidding. Makes me want to do a write-up on something, but the only things I got currently are the two MC mods and my framework.

I assume that means your PC's fixed? :D?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-22 02:37:16 Reply

At 5/22/17 02:33 AM, egg82 wrote: I assume that means your PC's fixed? :D?

SFC caught something after I updated my BIOS, haven't had an issue in the past 24 hours or so...

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-23 16:10:28 (edited 2017-05-23 16:11:00) Reply

What are the considerations for putting a game demo on some kind of "early access" platform for a cheaper price? Like itch.io as opposed to Steam Early Access.

Should it be feature-complete and just lacking content? Should the discount be related to how complete the game is?

cc @Glaiel-Gamer which I spelled correctly on the first go

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-25 16:02:16 (edited 2017-05-25 16:02:58) Reply

At 5/23/17 04:10 PM, MSGhero wrote: Should it be feature-complete and just lacking content? Should the discount be related to how complete the game is?

don't do it unless its a multiplayer game or an open sandbox game

edit: or a heavy user generated content game

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-26 00:04:59 (edited 2017-05-26 00:05:51) Reply

At 5/23/17 04:10 PM, MSGhero wrote: What are the considerations for putting a game demo on some kind of "early access" platform for a cheaper price? Like itch.io as opposed to Steam Early Access.
Should it be feature-complete and just lacking content? Should the discount be related to how complete the game is?

I wouldn't get an early access game with little content no matter how fleshed out the structure and mechanics are. Maybe just put out a free demo or teaser of the completed first section, or enough to get the idea of the game.

6000th post yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I should go outside
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-26 00:59:34 Reply

At 5/26/17 12:04 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
I should go outside

I heard the graphics are unparalleled, and it doesn't even need a GPU!
People complain about the tutorial a lot, though..

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-27 00:12:26 Reply

For the first time in my programming life, I'm actually enjoying coding UI. Mainly because I'm not doing much coding, mostly XML. HaxeUI handles styling components with CSS, so something like ".item:hover { }" lets me define what happens during a mouse over for a particular class. The flixel backend I wrote is basically translating HaxeUI's demands into something flixel can understand, but the core lib is doing all the heavy lifting here.

I don't think it fits my use-case, but you can also essentially inject haxe code based off of component events, like doing something on a button press. It's easier if I define those kinds of things in real code, but still neato.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-05-27 06:38:10 Reply

So I looked into bitcoin recently and holy fuck has it skyrocketed. I kinda wish that I'd got on to it last year when it crashed at 148/$ but ehh*

Warning - don't use any trading sites that are based in China. I used BTER to store my bitcoins (yeah bad idea especially considering they got hacked some time after I did, but it wasn't a significant amount, and I'd gotten all of it from taps for free so *shrugs*) for about 2 years and now I find that they've disabled bitcoin transactions (something about the chinese government and all), and if you have dogecoin or something they require your passport info (no thanks!)

I eventually ended up getting my $25 worth of bitcoin** out through converting it to NXT and then withdrawing it, converting it back to BTC and then sending it to my coinbase address. All at a slight loss of course, but it's nbd. Free $20!

*One of the things that kept me from diving in was that I didn't know if there were any trade services at the time to _sell_ bitcoin - there have been a few now, but the most I can do with this is buy stuff, rather than HODL on to it and cash out when it jumps again.

**For reference, it was "only $2" when I had it back in 2015. Which became "only $6" sometime later. A ten-fold increase, god damn that's high.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-12 19:23:06 Reply

Devolver Digital won E3.
I dunno what that entails, but they sure as hell won it.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-16 00:58:11 (edited 2017-06-16 01:01:12) Reply

I was wondering where all the rocks were... found them in Zone 0,0.

Edit: oh shit I found a weird bug because of this configuration. Glad I forgot to distribute the rocks across the 64 maps?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-16 15:28:54 Reply

At 6/16/17 12:58 AM, MSGhero wrote: I was wondering where all the rocks were... found them in Zone 0,0.

Edit: oh shit I found a weird bug because of this configuration. Glad I forgot to distribute the rocks across the 64 maps?

I dislike that tree border. Feels limiting.
Also, I like to think you put rocks down, were really confused as to where they all ran off to, then went on a scavenger hunt for them.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-16 16:47:12 Reply

At 6/16/17 03:28 PM, egg82 wrote: I dislike that tree border. Feels limiting.
Also, I like to think you put rocks down, were really confused as to where they all ran off to, then went on a scavenger hunt for them.

Well the top and left are the borders of the game, so you mean the bottom and right borders?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-16 16:53:56 Reply

At 6/16/17 04:47 PM, MSGhero wrote:

I can also see myself in your position, standing up and proclaiming loudly, "I found them! I found my rocks!" and then having my girlfriend stare at me oddly.
Game development.

Well the top and left are the borders of the game, so you mean the bottom and right borders?

Just seems unnatural. Too many squares. Square border, square lake..

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-29 23:30:59 (edited 2017-06-29 23:50:41) Reply

I was doing well today, crushing bugs and adding features. I tried exporting to CPP for the first time in several years (a Haxe bug prevented me). After like 20 mins, "fatal error C1002: compiler is out of heap space in pass 2"

Apparently I have a cpp file that's 4 MB large, when all the data files that go into it make up about 750 KB. Where do 56,000 lines of code come from? It's taking json and txt files but parsing them during compilation to avoid runtime parsing. But still...

Should I leave the jsons as .json files and parse at runtime? I save hundreds of thousands of allocations in flash and a second of runtime by parsing earlier. I guess I can split up the data structure into multiple files?

Edit: my 585 KB spritesheet is 3.5 MB of that... I guess I have to split it up or just parse it normally.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-06-30 01:25:34 (edited 2017-06-30 01:26:08) Reply

Y'know, my spritesheet JSON is automatically generated, so I've never paid any attention to it or the sprites that go in it. There are 2600 sprites and 23,000 lines of JSON data... so I'll split that up some.

It all fit into a 1000x1000 spritesheet, so I didn't think twice.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-12 12:03:20 (edited 2017-07-12 12:13:16) Reply

I didn't notice it earlier, but wonderfl seems to have been discontinued silently. Their website now redirects to a link for their parent company site, stating it ended on 2017/3/31.

Also, I'm currently thinking of making a dynamically-generated audio application; which language should I use for it? Java and AS3 seem like good contenders - despite AS3's general weakness compared to Java, it apparently has native support for dynamic audio. It is worth noting that Java does too, though. I might go with Java just since I haven't done much with it earlier and I want to get my feet wet with it, but are there any potential setbacks that I might encounter on this part then?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-15 18:19:08 Reply

Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-15 23:05:46 (edited 2017-07-15 23:07:02) Reply

At 7/15/17 06:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

spitballin...

A virtual version of that game where one person puts their hands on yours and you have to slap them before they pull away (Picture for clarity). 2 players - left/right joysticks control the hands. 2 for flinching.

Ouroboros: Snake but the object is to touch your tail when enemies or things are inside the created loop as a means of devouring them

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-16 00:12:56 Reply

At 7/15/17 06:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

Ludum Dare?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-16 00:16:40 Reply

At 7/16/17 12:12 AM, egg82 wrote: Ludum Dare?

Bigger than LD but smaller than RPG.