New Topic Respond to this Topic
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 26th, 2013 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 5/26/13 06:44 PM, nitokov wrote: I think we are all looking for magic will power source, magic workers stone...
that being said, I am going to play some league of legends, cheers

i've been trying to get time to do that all day. All week, even.
Right now, i'm a lobster from yardwork, and my right hand is covered in so many blisters I can't hold a hammer right.

Otherwise, i'm trying to get my friends involved in a game of Dota, but we've all had weird hours and stuff come up in the last few weeks. We're going to try again either tonight or tomorrow night.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 27th, 2013 @ 07:27 PM Reply

Fuck yeah, I got my power back. going to make this game finally, to the end, its going to be best game ever.. my train of thoughts, until tomorrow sadly :D whats up?

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 27th, 2013 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 5/27/13 07:27 PM, nitokov wrote: Fuck yeah, I got my power back. going to make this game finally, to the end, its going to be best game ever.. my train of thoughts, until tomorrow sadly :D whats up?

I learned the value of making actual toString methods. After each command is issued, it traces(battleResult); and instead of me tracing every property manually, deleting them, and rewriting them later, it tells me everything I need to know in an organized manner!

Few projects floating around right now, each one mostly a prototype and a "yes" from an artist.

*cough*lazy asses*cough*
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 27th, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 5/27/13 08:35 PM, MSGhero wrote: Few projects floating around right now, each one mostly a prototype and a "yes" from an artist.

I'm working on one. A very small, pretty simple one I know I can finish pretty quickly. I'll put it up on NG because why not?

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 12:56 PM Reply

At 5/27/13 09:46 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/27/13 08:35 PM, MSGhero wrote: Few projects floating around right now, each one mostly a prototype and a "yes" from an artist.
I'm working on one. A very small, pretty simple one I know I can finish pretty quickly. I'll put it up on NG because why not?

I've decided to stop being lazy and finish Theifer, but now there's a bunch of design hurdles to jump through that I didn't see coming.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

Thief?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 03:31 PM, Rustygames wrote: Thief?

actually it's Theifer O'Greedy. My artist came up with the name, I thought it was like they-fer on purpose because it sounds Irish. Turns out he commonly misspells Thief, I'm wondering whether to keep it wrong now

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 05:06 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/28/13 03:31 PM, Rustygames wrote: Thief?
actually it's Theifer O'Greedy. My artist came up with the name, I thought it was like they-fer on purpose because it sounds Irish. Turns out he commonly misspells Thief, I'm wondering whether to keep it wrong now

I would change it to the correct spelling otherwise people will think you're just uneducated. I managed to get away with "Final Defense" because that's how it's spelt in the USA, in England it's "Defence".
This isn't really like that though because theif is never acceptable. However it does remind of an interesting anecdote if you're interested. In England we use "ou" whereas in American English they drop the u (color and colour being the classic example). This was quite a problem for armorgames.com back in the day, as some cheeky mother fucker took armourgames.com and redirected it to their site. In fact it still remains that way today!

And a final gift on this marvelously long and pointless post, see if you can spot the other English word I used in the post which is different in American English :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 05:32 PM, Rustygames wrote: And a final gift on this marvelously long and pointless post, see if you can spot the other English word I used in the post which is different in American English :)

Spelt is a type of wheat, silly.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 05:36 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 5/28/13 05:32 PM, Rustygames wrote: And a final gift on this marvelously long and pointless post, see if you can spot the other English word I used in the post which is different in American English :)
Spelt is a type of wheat, silly.

You won the prize :)
Americans can't handle spelling things correctly so they drop letters and just add "ed" to things when speaking in the past tense. Spelled :P

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 08:14 PM Reply

trying to use bitmapdata lock to improve rendering preformance, but parallax background is in my way ... so, no

also i am happy that americans are bad in spelling and no one is pointing to my bad grammar, i am from Croatia,Balkans, EU :D

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 08:14 PM, nitokov wrote: trying to use bitmapdata lock to improve rendering preformance, but parallax background is in my way ... so, no

How is that an issue? If you're using scroll or something and that interferes with lock, instead you could change the xy of a rectangle and use that as the sourceRect for copying the background to the main bmd.

Also I just realized I have two half-written tutorials on xml/json and blitting that are just sitting there...I guess I should get to editing those with all this free time. But I also just started watching Arrested Development, so I have less free time than I think I do.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 28th, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 08:43 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 5/28/13 08:14 PM, nitokov wrote: trying to use bitmapdata lock to improve rendering preformance, but parallax background is in my way ... so, no
How is that an issue? If you're using scroll or something and that interferes with lock, instead you could change the xy of a rectangle and use that as the sourceRect for copying the background to the main bmd.

Also I just realized I have two half-written tutorials on xml/json and blitting that are just sitting there...I guess I should get to editing those with all this free time. But I also just started watching Arrested Development, so I have less free time than I think I do.

damn now i have to open FD again, already starting race in WRC 2
well for drawing background i just reduce destination point x value and since background size is almost size of screen rectangle is like with no lock...

lol great show btw, i watch Community lately..
Well man doesn't have free time you are either winning (charile sheen reference) or loosing .. time i guess
I cant post post without emoticons...

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:12 AM Reply

new Arrested is great, it started out weak, but its gets awesome quickly. I really should get up to date on community.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 29th, 2013 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 06:12 AM, GeoKureli wrote: new Arrested is great, it started out weak, but its gets awesome quickly. I really should get up to date on community.

Eh, Community's been on the decline since season 2, I'm happy they ended it for good this season, I would have hated to see it get further distilled since I love those first two so much (and the third to a lesser extent) Louie, Sunny and AD will have to give my my fix of 'streets ahead' comedy.

Also I might have missed a discussion at some point but what do the flash regs think of Kickstarter? We all know No Time To Explain is great, but is it the only kickstarted project related to our 'circle'?

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:13 AM Reply

got this today in my spam folder. Seems legit.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:52 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:13 AM, egg82 wrote: got this today in my spam folder. Seems legit.

That does kind of seem legit. I can't tell if you're being ironic or double ironic.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:04 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:52 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/30/13 12:13 AM, egg82 wrote:
That does kind of seem legit. I can't tell if you're being ironic or double ironic.

Aside from the fact that the IRS doesn't send out random, poorly-named .exes in zip files, yeah. It seems really legit. Which makes me all the more pissed off. It's a huge fine plus jail time to impersonate a government branch or employee here.
My time working for them taught me a few things :P

BBS Signature
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 10:44 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:13 AM, egg82 wrote: got this today in my spam folder. Seems legit.

It makes me very angry inside when I get emails like this. Not because I'm worried that I will fall for it, but that there are people actually dumb enough to.

What reallllly bugs me is this stuff. There is really nothing worse then some person trying to impersonate a teenager.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:45 PM Reply

I just got mails from African criminals to send them money, no biggy. Dont worry FBI CIA CSI i dont support them in case you tracked this post :P rofl

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 10:44 AM, Mattster wrote: What reallllly bugs me is this stuff. There is really nothing worse then some person trying to impersonate a teenager.

I get like four of those exact same e-mails with the same names every day.
I read it once for a laugh.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 01:18 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/30/13 10:44 AM, Mattster wrote: What reallllly bugs me is this stuff. There is really nothing worse then some person trying to impersonate a teenager.
I get like four of those exact same e-mails with the same names every day.
I read it once for a laugh.

Me three...how do they get email names? Is it something we all happened to sign up for (newgrounds???), or do they just brute force through every possible email name?

Tom sold us out to Adriana :(
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 31st, 2013 @ 02:07 AM Reply

So, I've been wanting to kick around some game ideas. MMOs, specifically. The ideas driving them are really stale, and I want to see what you guys think about some things I came up with to freshen things up.

1. Personality-driven quests/character progression/driving story. This would mean making nine desperate stories to any one of those to get the general "personality trait" of each individual, but I think it'd be completely worth it. How do you do personality traits? Dialogue choices.
2. Randomized everything. No "quests" to speak of, but little random things you can choose to partake in all over the world. Even better, halt some things to make room for others for a short time to make sure nothing's on a set timer. I'm thinking things like contests and competitions to gain xp. It would need to be socially and community driven, but since most MMOs are already, that shouldn't be a problem.
3. Characters/places with backstory. Make it immersive. Give everyone and everything a back story and tie it all together. That boss you just killed? He was forced to fight you or his family would die.
4. No dungeons. Too damn repetitive, make everything available in an open-world environment without camping some cafe with trolls in it. Give assignments out, and if you happen to stumble across whatever you need to complete that assignment, then that's great. If not, whatever. It could take until max level to get that gold nugget you've been hunting since level 1.
5. Respawns. You should be able to see the NPCs and all players respawn the same way. If a player walks back to their corpse, so does a dead NPC. And it should be visible and common knowledge that that's what's happening.

That's all for now, I'm on my tablet.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 31st, 2013 @ 02:39 AM Reply

I want to bring this guy to your attention. Take a look at his games. Each one of them is about 100 times more developed than your average internet flash game.

He has a diablo clone on the frontpage at the moment. Now, flash clones of diablo are nothing new. Many people have made their own versions. What's noteworthy about this one is how far the game goes. It seems some of the reviewers have gone past level 50, where their set of stats and the enemies they're fighting against form a completely different metagame than what you'd experience in the first few levels. How many flash games can you point out from memory that have the quality of giving a completely different gaming experience to someone who just opened the game and played 5mins, and a seasoned player who has spent time familiarizing himself with the mechanics and advancing through the world?

All the flash games he submitted are objectively of such great quality, and yet ... there's something really underwhelming about them. His most played game sits today with 30,000 views, and that's twice higher than the second next. His games barely reach 10,000 views each, on average. Is it worth making flash games anywhere close to this level of intricacy? Usually when people start coding diablo-like mechanic, they'll stick in 3-4 different kinds of monsters, throw in a handful of short levels to play through, and call it a game. Because after all, isn't this really all the effort that's worth putting into a flash games? Who actually codes in 60 level up's for the character? 30 floors of dungeon to go through?

And all the games are very well programmed, too. The diablo game amounts to an astounding 6mb. The games all run very smoothly. There are intricate concepts such as pathfinding, AI targetting, and good difficulty balance. I played zombi attack (what a fucking stupid title) and found myself overjoyed to be able to do some unit-control techniques that I also enjoyed in starcraft: for example, using one guy as bait, having him run around in big circles with a big bunch of enemies following him, while my ranged units stand at a distance and shoot away such that none of my people get hurt.

There's is undoubtedly a certain lack of finesse to these games. I feel like he could've gotten much more recognition and attention if his games were more presentable and had better story / general art direction. But still, despite this slight short-coming, I'd categorize at least half of his games as "great flash games".

Why are they so unsuccessful on newgrounds? Could it be that, outside of NG and on the internet as a whole, they are actually fairly successful? Could it be that they bring in good money? Is the conclusion of this story merely the fact that NG is falling behind? I have a game that I made on a 10 day school break as a thirteen year old kid that has twice more views of all his 11 games combined. What's the deal with that? did NG change the way view count works, or has the site itself just gotten that much less popular? And what does it mean for the future of independent flash game dev.?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 31st, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 5/31/13 02:39 AM, Toast wrote: Stuff

I played about a minute of the most recent game, and I'll play more when its not 2am. Looking at it from the perspective of an average bored person playing a game, the art doesn't stand out, and the UI and text kinda blends in with the background, which makes it less easy on the eyes. Not to mention it's an RPG, which is generally seen as a boring, esoteric genre made for the select few who love immersive stories. Looking at the icon on the front page, the skeleton dude on the right blends in too much with the background, and I can't tell what the orange thing is. It's not a parody, so it doesn't get an extra half star.

There are also comments about bugs and poor performance.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 31st, 2013 @ 12:16 PM Reply

At 5/31/13 02:39 AM, Toast wrote: Why are they so unsuccessful on newgrounds?

played a little, and read some of the comments. Here's my thoughts:
You try to play with the big boys, and you get rated like them. Comparing this to the Diablo series is like comparing a millionaire's brand new Lexus to a college student's beater. Of course, comparing this to most other Flash games on NG - there's no contest there, either. The problem is he WASN'T competing with Flash games. He was competing with AAA titles, and that's what's killing him.
The art and animation needs a serious upgrade if he's to try and compete with game companies. He needs to use AIR and remove the title bars and all to make it seem as much NOT a Flash game as possible, because let's be honest: People think "Flash game" and immediately go "oh... That's cool."
He needs cinematics as well. They don't need to be blizz-level, but something would be good. Again, anything to separate his games from the Flash world.
Add versioning to remove bugs, and we'll see where it goes from there.

BBS Signature
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jun. 1st, 2013 @ 08:04 PM Reply

whats up regular flash peoples

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jun. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:38 AM Reply

At 6/1/13 08:04 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: whats up regular flash peoples

The ceiling.

This RPG is FINALLY getting published on Friday. It's been hanging out in FGL, but no one likes to buy games that require reading to enjoy, so we're just gonna upload it to the major portals and mochi's distribution. I have a post mortem all written out except for the parts I fill in after it actually gets released.

FINALLY.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jun. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:12 AM Reply

At 6/2/13 12:38 AM, MSGhero wrote:
The ceiling.

This RPG is FINALLY getting published on Friday. It's been hanging out in FGL, but no one likes to buy games that require reading to enjoy, so we're just gonna upload it to the major portals and mochi's distribution.

can you throw a link from fgl? what fgl rating did you get there?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jun. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 6/2/13 02:12 AM, nitokov wrote: can you throw a link from fgl? what fgl rating did you get there?

Not enough votes to have a rating. The devs who played it on average said they liked it, but they also said big games don't sell unless they're epic battle fantasy quality. The icon got 1274 elo if that counts...kinda meh