GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 21:13:59 Reply

At 5/5/13 06:55 PM, PSvils wrote: Aaaand turns out someone already made my dream game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOPb9p3HTQ

yeah, i just found out this already exists.

At 5/5/13 06:58 PM, MSGhero wrote: Make it better, then :)

Alright, sure.

Anyone mess with the DAME editor before? Gotta say it's pretty nice, even has autotiling.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 21:37:31 Reply

At 5/5/13 09:13 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Anyone mess with the DAME editor before? Gotta say it's pretty nice, even has autotiling.

Oooo, xml export, I might use this. I'm using as3isolib which sadly isn't being updated anymore atm. Let me know if there are other iso libs that you've worked with, cuz I remember the z-sorting with this one was laggy while panning.

With a name like Deadly Alien Map Editor, I have to use it
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 22:45:31 Reply

At 5/5/13 09:37 PM, MSGhero wrote: Oooo, xml export, I might use this.

and it's open source, I'll definitely be making a DAME fork with a custom xml output after my 10 day game project.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 22:52:00 Reply

and i'll continue work on all my random classes I found a need for at some point in my dev adventures.
After I find a job of some description.
Which i'll do after I finish my homework.
Which i'll do after I play a game of DotA 2 with my friends.
Which i'll do after watching the latest GoT.
Which i'll do after I watch all the videos on my sub list.

This could take a while.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-06 04:15:38 Reply

I broke down and joined a meme I don't entirely understand. In my defense he looked weird without the red glasses.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-06 06:00:46 Reply

I used threads for the first time today!

I'm so happy
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-06 16:27:01 Reply

At 5/6/13 06:00 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
I'm so happy

not for long

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-06 17:55:40 Reply

At 5/6/13 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 5/6/13 06:00 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
I'm so happy
not for long

^ :D

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-06 21:59:32 Reply

So DAME uses Lua scripts to determine how to export projects to usable files for games. I've never used lua before but I love the idea. I've used XML to create scripting languages (track events set animations, tween here, AI routines) and lua seems like the way to go for such things. Only problem is that non technical artists are less like to understand lua than xml.

Took only a few minutes to figure out how to make a custom exporter. I'm half way through making a library that parses it.

TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 02:34:08 Reply

Well.. So... That's my first post in this topic, if my memory isn't that much awful.

Hello and stuff.

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 04:18:17 Reply

At 5/7/13 02:34 AM, TheNavigat wrote: Well.. So... That's my first post in this topic, if my memory isn't that much awful.

Hello and stuff.

So you've entered the Den

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 18:27:03 Reply

Hey guys, What is everyone up too?

Im still working on my tile ninja game that should be done. I update the controls as some have recommended. Is this to sensitive/fast?? I mean it is a ninja game right.

Let me know what you think.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 18:58:23 Reply

At 5/7/13 06:27 PM, swishcheese wrote: Hey guys, What is everyone up too?

Im still working on my tile ninja game that should be done. I update the controls as some have recommended. Is this to sensitive/fast?? I mean it is a ninja game right.

I still feel like I move too far when tapping the arrow keys. A very light tap moves it by one tile, but anything more moves by 2 or 3. For a puzzle game where you need to restart every time you mess up, it would get annoying if overshooting every time was the cause. For general movement it's ok, but I think for pushing rocks, you should make him move slower. Like in pokemon when you used strength, it would either slow you down a bit or have a short pause after moving to the next tile.

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 22:10:25 Reply

At 5/7/13 06:58 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 5/7/13 06:27 PM, swishcheese wrote: Hey guys, What is everyone up too?

I still feel like I move too far when tapping the arrow keys. A very light tap moves it by one tile, but anything more moves by 2 or 3. For a puzzle game where you need to restart every time you mess up, it would get annoying if overshooting every time was the cause. For general movement it's ok, but I think for pushing rocks, you should make him move slower. Like in pokemon when you used strength, it would either slow you down a bit or have a short pause after moving to the next tile.

Yeah. Agree with you there. I made a control button i forgot to mention. If you hold shift it locks the position and you have to tap the arrow keys if you want to move while holding shift. At first when i tested this it was still bit confusing tho cause i was used to the old version. I'll probably make the keys a little less sensitive though.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 23:03:23 Reply

I kinda like the fast movement, but the problem is that this is a game that requires precise movement, it's really easy to mess up.

You know how when you hold down a key on the keyboard one letter pops up and after a short while a flood of letters come. I think that would be a perfect mechanic for your game. that way you can be precise if you want and fast if your going a large distance. I was thinking there's a 1 tile acceleration period, so the first tile you move to takes a little longer than the rest.

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-07 23:59:59 Reply

At 5/7/13 11:03 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I kinda like the fast movement, but the problem is that this is a game that requires precise movement, it's really easy to mess up.

You know how when you hold down a key on the keyboard one letter pops up and after a short while a flood of letters come. I think that would be a perfect mechanic for your game. that way you can be precise if you want and fast if your going a large distance. I was thinking there's a 1 tile acceleration period, so the first tile you move to takes a little longer than the rest.

I think I got it. Thanks for feed back guys. here is update. "Shift" to lock your position as aim to shoot.

Let me know how you like it. I have a variable that determines sensitivity that I can mess with. This seems comfortable to me. Let me know if this feels to sensitive or not enough for you. I am going to allow user to change this in the options, but I think this feels like a good default value.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 00:11:58 Reply

I think it feels good now. It still punishes me if I get lazy and hold it down too long, but it's justice rather than cruelty. What's cruel is that I can't figure out how to get past the upper middle part of lv1 :(

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 00:16:07 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:11 AM, MSGhero wrote: I think it feels good now. It still punishes me if I get lazy and hold it down too long, but it's justice rather than cruelty. What's cruel is that I can't figure out how to get past the upper middle part of lv1 :(

sweet, Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. and awww. well to make you feel better this is actually level 16 in the game. I just wanted a demo level that had a little bit of everything combined. ohh and also. this ;)

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 00:18:25 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:16 AM, swishcheese wrote: sweet, Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. and awww. well to make you feel better this is actually level 16 in the game. I just wanted a demo level that had a little bit of everything combined. ohh and also. this ;)

Oh crap I didn't realize you could shoot things. Never mind...

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 00:27:12 Reply

At 5/8/13 12:18 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 5/8/13 12:16 AM, swishcheese wrote: sweet, Thanks for the help man. I really appreciate it. and awww. well to make you feel better this is actually level 16 in the game. I just wanted a demo level that had a little bit of everything combined. ohh and also. this ;)
Oh crap I didn't realize you could shoot things. Never mind...

Lol. Im terrible at giving gameplay directions/instructions... sorry about that. Hopefully I can finish this game before finals week. doubt that will happen. Scratch that, definitely will not happen. Getting my final project in C++ tomorrow. OrderedList class that uses recursion. We already made an OrderedList class for a project, why must we make one with recursion now? Oh well.

So anybody else have finals coming up/projects/cool shit?

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:09:25 Reply

So I finally beat your god forsaken level. It's fun, but seriously I hate you.

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:18:31 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:09 AM, GeoKureli wrote: So I finally beat your god forsaken level. It's fun, but seriously I hate you.

lol. Perfect! :D

That is what i was shooting for. But I am going to include a walkthrough for the first 20 story levels in case people start to come at me with pitchforks.
The other 20 extreme levels, unfortunately will not have a walkthrough and IMO are a little tougher XD

BBS Signature
TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:27:55 Reply

At 5/7/13 04:18 AM, nitokov wrote:
At 5/7/13 02:34 AM, TheNavigat wrote: Well.. So... That's my first post in this topic, if my memory isn't that much awful.

Hello and stuff.
So you've entered the Den

Yea, looks like so

By the way, I've got a problem here. Flash to PHP, securely, in 4 words, you know, and since it's getting really confusing, I even thought about remaking the whole thing, downloadable, since even HTML5 isn't that much secured... I'm lost, I'm lost, I'm lost, I'm lost... .__.

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:43:23 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:27 AM, TheNavigat wrote: By the way, I've got a problem here. Flash to PHP, securely, in 4 words

how about in two words?
Security class

BBS Signature
TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:48:07 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:43 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/8/13 01:27 AM, TheNavigat wrote: By the way, I've got a problem here. Flash to PHP, securely, in 4 words
how about in two words?
Security class

1 word, decryptable. Beat that B|

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:50:23 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:43 AM, egg82 wrote:
how about in two words?
Security class

*After googling it and trying to avoid being a bad*** *

Oh.. More details about using that with PHP, please? :)

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:50:40 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:48 AM, TheNavigat wrote: 1 word, decryptable. Beat that B|

well, I have no idea what you're asking, then.

BBS Signature
TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:51:59 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:50 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/8/13 01:48 AM, TheNavigat wrote: 1 word, decryptable. Beat that B|
well, I have no idea what you're asking, then.

*After googling it and trying to avoid being a bad*** *

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 01:56:17 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:50 AM, TheNavigat wrote: *After googling it and trying to avoid being a bad*** *

right, yeah, that's what I thought you were asking.
Flash's security is tighter than a fly's anus, you can't access any data from a server without the server's permission in the form of a strictly-typed XML file. Specifically, crossdomain.xml
Use the Security class to add the site to the list of security exceptions (client-side access) and the same class to load the policy file (server-side access) to finally allow data to travel between the two. Same with Sockets, or any type of data in any way, shape, or form (aside from uploading and downloading, for some unknown reason) - you need the crossdomain.xml file

BBS Signature
TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-08 02:03:35 Reply

At 5/8/13 01:56 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/8/13 01:50 AM, TheNavigat wrote: *After googling it and trying to avoid being a bad*** *

right, yeah, that's what I thought you were asking.
Flash's security is tighter than a fly's anus, you can't access any data from a server without the server's permission in the form of a strictly-typed XML file. Specifically, crossdomain.xml
Use the Security class to add the site to the list of security exceptions (client-side access) and the same class to load the policy file (server-side access) to finally allow data to travel between the two. Same with Sockets, or any type of data in any way, shape, or form (aside from uploading and downloading, for some unknown reason) - you need the crossdomain.xml file

THAT IS AWESOME! Thanks a lot!

But the problem is that this way, I need to protect the second SWF, which will have access to the PHP script to perform actions, so no one can download it for example, and therefore be able to decrypt it, and ruin everything. I guess using .htaccess to allow only this SWF would work, but the problem is that the SWF works locally, so I guess the IP added would belong to the user, not the website. What do you think?

And thanks, again :)

Nav.. I'm the Nav!