Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,604,464 Views
  • 64,400 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 02:07 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 01:33 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 4/29/13 01:31 PM, MSGhero wrote: I know that, I just don't get why it spread so much. But I guess that's what memes do.
yeah, it's because meme.

yeah its a meme on top of a meme. The red shades meme is newgrounds centric. Hopefully its still going for one more week.


None

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Wow so my engine is coming far.

I can script a world's setup, I have object creation scripts, and I can use Flash as my level editor and asset creation tool. Even better, I can change all of the above without restarting the game (scripts require a level restart obviously though, and scripting for runtime logic purposes would be too slow). But graphics can be reloaded whenever.

Looking for an artist to collab on a quick game to see how usable my engine is, but hell...I'm having fun playing with it :D

P.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Member since: May. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 03:45 PM Reply

Can't belive i got frontpaged for ludum dare game, im happy :D cheers mates


RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 03:45 PM, nitokov wrote: Can't belive i got frontpaged for ludum dare game, im happy :D cheers mates

No problem, buddy.


BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 03:45 PM, nitokov wrote: I can't believe I got front page for the ludum dare game, I'm happy :D cheers mates

Congrats, I like how it shows the trail after you die.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:00 PM Reply

ahahah its done, and just in time
http://www.glaielgames.com/ludumdare/genevaconvection.html

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ahahah its done, and just in time

My death ray keeps blowing up and hitting it with a hammer doesn't seem to help.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:34 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 4/29/13 09:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ahahah its done, and just in time
My death ray keeps blowing up and hitting it with a hammer doesn't seem to help.

you gotta keep the cooling room functional, and you gotta not let the charge meter go into the red

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:34 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 4/29/13 09:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ahahah its done, and just in time
My death ray keeps blowing up and hitting it with a hammer doesn't seem to help.

Is that a euphemism for something else...?

But yeah, mine does too. It won't let me target a 3rd city, it says it's already destroyed.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:46 PM, MSGhero wrote: But yeah, mine does too. It won't let me target a 3rd city, it says it's already destroyed.

the 3rd city is too large, you need to upgrade capacitior capacity, or launch a satellite (the tutorial guy does tell you this)

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:46 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 4/29/13 09:34 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 4/29/13 09:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ahahah its done, and just in time
My death ray keeps blowing up and hitting it with a hammer doesn't seem to help.
Is that a euphemism for something else...?

part of me thinks this whole game is a euphemism.

But yeah, mine does too. It won't let me target a 3rd city, it says it's already destroyed.

I think Winnipeg is actually out of range, you need to launch a satellite to get a third city.

It took me forever to realize that the valves are like dimmer switches and they need to be red to cool/function. but then my capacitor blew up and it wasn't even hot.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 09:53 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I think Winnipeg is actually out of range, you need to launch a satellite to get a third city.

Its not out of range, its a LARGER city, so you need to upgrade capacitor capacity (death ray power) to be able to destroy it

and yeah, we only had 72 hours, so the tutorial isn't as good as it could be

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 10:27 PM Reply

You should really beef up the tutorial, also this.


If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 10:27 PM, MintPaw wrote: You should really beef up the tutorial

it was a 72 hour game jam and we used every one of those 72 hours on what we have

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 29th, 2013 @ 10:55 PM Reply

At 4/29/13 10:40 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 4/29/13 10:27 PM, MintPaw wrote: You should really beef up the tutorial
it was a 72 hour game jam and we used every one of those 72 hours on what we have

We understand, it's just hard not to give constructive criticism. Would it anger the ludum dare gods if you kept working on it? do you plan to? I'm always compelled to work on jam projects after its over, but it's better to leave them alone in spirit of the jam, I think.

Random tangent:

I remember playing a game a long time ago, like early 2000's, The game had no instructions other than some indication to use your mouse and drag things. There's water at the bottom of the screen, and things fall from the sky with hooks attached to them and a scale floating at the top. I really liked the idea of a game that has no instructions, I thought that's what you were going for when you first posted it, obviously that would not have worked with the final version, but now I want to try it.

I'm unable to find the game, btw. Too bad, it was neat.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 05:47 AM Reply

HTML5 is such a destruction. I've made zero progress on my Flash games and only one paragraph on my MWC entry so far.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 05:55 AM Reply

At 4/30/13 05:47 AM, FlyingColours wrote: HTML5 is such a destruction. I've made zero progress on my Flash games and only one paragraph on my MWC entry so far.

I meant distraction.

SkyFire2008
SkyFire2008
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 4/30/13 05:55 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
At 4/30/13 05:47 AM, FlyingColours wrote: HTML5 is such a destruction. I've made zero progress on my Flash games and only one paragraph on my MWC entry so far.
I meant distraction.

What is MWC?


Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 09:12 AM Reply

At 4/30/13 08:19 AM, SkyFire2008 wrote:
At 4/30/13 05:55 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
At 4/30/13 05:47 AM, FlyingColours wrote: HTML5 is such a destruction. I've made zero progress on my Flash games and only one paragraph on my MWC entry so far.
I meant distraction.
What is MWC?

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1337332

SkyFire2008
SkyFire2008
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 09:25 AM Reply

At 4/30/13 09:12 AM, FlyingColours wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1337332

Ok.


Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

I finally have a demo that looks cool. I'm thinking about some kind of typing game, where you type the antonym of an "evil" word in order to destroy it. But that's boring unless the words shatter when they collide :D Click to restart it.

I was trying out bitmapdata-based "shatter" effects using perlin noise, but it was too...organic: it would have looked more like chunks were peeling off or something. At first, I had the polygons of every letter in a dictionary and grabbed those, but letters like j would end up too far up, so I just draw a textfield. Doesn't work with any serif fonts that I tried :(

RPG is done, chillin in FGL now. Poop game with Sabtastic is done, just chillin until she comes up with like 20 more medals. Exams done, so I'm just chillin.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 4/30/13 09:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: I finally have a demo that looks cool. I'm thinking about some kind of typing game, where you type the antonym of an "evil" word in order to destroy it. But that's boring unless the words shatter when they collide :D Click to restart it.

That's a lot of excellent news MSGhero! Hope to see your new entries in the portal, especially the typing one. :D

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 09:28 AM Reply

So I could use your guys opinion on a programming technique I've been using that I'm starting to have doubts about. the idea is to have a base class with steps laid out that automatically call the next step. in derived classes I would set timers or tweens (or whatever asynchronous task needed to be done) and supply the super function as a callback for said events. I was thinking about setting my next project up this way, and I'm wondering if its bad practice. here's an example

protected function startGame():void { startGameIntro(); }
protected function startGameIntro():void { endGameIntro(); }
protected function endGameIntro():void { startRound(); }
		
protected function startRound():void { }

That's in the base class. essentially the round starts right when the game starts (startGame() is called by the constructor)

override protected function startGameIntro():void {
	if (debugMode)
		super.startGameIntro(); // --- CALLS endGameIntro()
	else 
		TweenMax.from(bg, 1, {
			y:stage.stageHeight,
			onComplete:super.startGameIntro// --- SUPER AS CALLBACK
		} );
}

Now the round starts after the BG is tweened in from the bottom (so it looks like the camera panned down). This is always how I've done it, but I'm starting to think things might get hairy, and part of me think I only kept doing it because it looked super leet to people who didn't know super functions could be passed as an argument. Any thoughts?

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 5/1/13 09:28 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Now the round starts after the BG is tweened in from the bottom (so it looks like the camera panned down). This is always how I've done it, but I'm starting to think things might get hairy, and part of me think I only kept doing it because it looked super leet to people who didn't know super functions could be passed as an argument. Any thoughts?

yeah, the "super." is completely pointless.
Though i'm not quiiiiite sure what you're trying to do, it's probably because I have yet to have had my coffee.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 5/1/13 10:15 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/1/13 09:28 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Now the round starts after the BG is tweened in from the bottom (so it looks like the camera panned down). This is always how I've done it, but I'm starting to think things might get hairy, and part of me think I only kept doing it because it looked super leet to people who didn't know super functions could be passed as an argument. Any thoughts?
yeah, the "super." is completely pointless.

Hmm I'm not sure you completely noticed whats going on. Setting the callback function to super.startGameIntro instead of regular old startGameIntro makes a huge difference (latter causes an infinite loop). If you meant calling super.startGameIntro is pointless compared to calling endGameIntro, than dismiss this comment.

The reason I started doing this is because you don't have to remember the order in which the setup functions are called, the order is maintained for you and you just have to call super at some point. but the problem is that it kinda goes against how supers normally work and how you would expect to use the function, since usually when you override you call super first which would cause issues here.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 11:28 AM Reply

I was getting disheartened by the score on my latest entry (was hoping for a 3 or more because of the effort I put into it).

Then I noticed Glaiel's Ludum Dare game, which reminded me that it could have been worse. It's depressing to see someone put so much effort in a game and yet get such a low score, and just because the lack of a tutorial.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 11:20 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/1/13 10:15 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 5/1/13 09:28 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Now the round starts after the BG is tweened in from the bottom (so it looks like the camera panned down). This is always how I've done it, but I'm starting to think things might get hairy, and part of me think I only kept doing it because it looked super leet to people who didn't know super functions could be passed as an argument. Any thoughts?
yeah, the "super." is completely pointless.
Hmm I'm not sure you completely noticed whats going on. Setting the callback function to super.startGameIntro instead of regular old startGameIntro makes a huge difference (latter causes an infinite loop). If you meant calling super.startGameIntro is pointless compared to calling endGameIntro, than dismiss this comment.

The reason I started doing this is because you don't have to remember the order in which the setup functions are called, the order is maintained for you and you just have to call super at some point. but the problem is that it kinda goes against how supers normally work and how you would expect to use the function, since usually when you override you call super first which would cause issues here.

Sounds like you're trying to do a screen system of sorts. I have a tiny screen library I made, that basically has a screen controller, transition classes, and then a generic screen which I extend.
The GenericScreen has functions initScreen(), loadScreen(), unloadScreen(), disposeScreen(). initScreen() gets called as soon as it's added to the stage, loadScreen() is called when the transition is finished, then unload screen is called as the next screen's initScreen() is being called, and dispose when the out-transition is finished.

For my screens, I then just extend the GenericScreen and override the functions that screen needs. It has worked perfectly for me so far, and adding a new screen is really easy. Screen handling is done by the controller. When you add a screen, you give it an id:String, and so in other screens I dispatch a screen event that passes the new screen's id, and the screen controller will do the rest.

Though for my game engine now I'm going to make a scriptable screen, that will load it's setup from XML / have scripting in it etc., making it even easier to edit it/live reloading of screens.

P.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 12:00 PM, PSvils wrote: The GenericScreen has functions initScreen(), loadScreen(), unloadScreen(), disposeScreen(). initScreen() gets called as soon as it's added to the stage, loadScreen() is called when the transition is finished, then unload screen is called as the next screen's initScreen() is being called, and dispose when the out-transition is finished.

I did something like this for the C++ closure engine... hell I even called them "screens". If I do another C++ game engine again (I will) I'm calling them GameState or State instead, cause it makes a bit more sense

the base screen class had the following functions

load/unload
setup/kill
update
render
preload (preload was never used)

a main manager class kept track of all the screens, you would tell the manager class to swap to a new screen and it would take care of calling unload and kill (with some safety stuff there so it couldn't unload or kill a screen that was never initiated or loaded)

the manager also kept track of 2 special screen types, the pause screen, and the transition screen

if the game was paused, the manager would stop calling update on the main screen and instead call update on the pause screen, it would then call render on the main screen, then render on the pause screen (so its overlayed on top of the game)

if the transition screen was active, the game would update and render both the main screen and the transition screen, the transition screen reports back when there's an appropriate frame to make the internal transition (main screen gets swapped). We were gonna play around with fancier transition animations, but ran out of time, so this was just used for a quick fade to black and back.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 01:51 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 5/1/13 12:00 PM, PSvils wrote: The GenericScreen has functions initScreen(), loadScreen(), unloadScreen(), disposeScreen(). initScreen() gets called as soon as it's added to the stage, loadScreen() is called when the transition is finished, then unload screen is called as the next screen's initScreen() is being called, and dispose when the out-transition is finished.
I did something like this for the C++ closure engine... hell I even called them "screens". If I do another C++ game engine again (I will) I'm calling them GameState or State instead, cause it makes a bit more sense

Mhm, my new idea is to have a full state system, and rather than changing states, I pop and push states. Then states also get a pause and resume function. This would make a pause menu really easy, since you can push it on top of the game state, the game state pauses, and the pause menu has focus.

One thing I haven't figured out yet though is how to pass information between states in a clean way... :/

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge May. 1st, 2013 @ 02:08 PM Reply

I thought about a screen handler at the very end of my RPG when I was adding transitions, but at that point, I didn't want to bother. I already had a state manager, so in retrospect, I could have just beefed that up to handle what was being shown on the screen as well. Added to my list of things to consider earlier on~