New Topic Respond to this Topic
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 10:26:54 Reply

I'm totally for a new 'game development' forum, given the level activity in the other two game dev forums and the need for a way to allow myself to be less ashamed when I talk about other languages and platforms in the lounge. :P However, I don't think it is a good idea to merge in the programming forum too. Firstly, we'd lose a valuable forum for discussing programming outside game development, and secondly, the process is irreversible. If we eventually regret the move, it would be extremely difficult to turn back. Tom may maintain an index of the programming threads that used to be located in the programming forum, but it would be impossible to migrate new threads there by automated means.

Defining a method? Sounds philosophical. :P Hmmm... would this definition be satisfactory?

A subprogram which serves to perform actions related to the properties of an instance or a specific class

Definition testing:
setInterval isn't a method since it controls Flash rather than our classes/instances.
gotoAndStop (if anyone still remembers using this method :P) is a method since it manipulates the appearance of MovieClip instances, changes the current frame, and sets the current state to 'stop' instead of 'playing'.
parseInt... well...

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 10:33:18 Reply

At 8/5/13 10:13 AM, Innermike wrote: I have no idea what asp.net is

It's what you use as a server side language after a severe head trauma. When/If the brain swelling subsides, you switch to a more sensible alternative like Python or PHP*.

* I feel I must apologize to Diki for calling PHP sensible. While not the biggest fan of PHP, compared to ASP, it's pretty damned sexy; so is Jabba the Hutt.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 10:55:01 Reply

At 8/4/13 05:06 PM, Innermike wrote: I hate the term 'method'. Just say function jesus.

I first started programming in VB.NET and to define a function you used the Function keyword, and to define a "void method" you used the Sub keyword. To me, functions returned[1] a value and subs didn't. When we moved onto OO, it took me ages to understand what the term "method" meant, because we were defining them exactly the same way; the only difference being we are now creating classes, rather than a bulky, "procedural" code module.

I make the distinction as a method is on an object, and a function is independent of an object. If I'm programming in Java, there are no such thing as "functions", they're all called methods. When I programmed a bit in C, I called them functions. I suppose the distinction could be between procedural vs OOP- but that's a debate I don't really want to get in to.

@Diki could probably clarify this, but I think in C++ they're called "member functions".

Then in .NET you also have properties... dun dun dun

[1] As with VB.NET, if you had the strict options off, you could treat a function as a sub... Silly VB.NET.

Never used a getter or setter in any actual project ever. I know what they are, I know how to use them, and I know I probably never will.

My biggest gripe with getters and setters is that we're told one of the important aspects of object orientation is encapsulation. Then someone comes along, creates a class, and exposes all their instance variables through getters and setters. Nice encapsulation, dude.

More people need to create classes with accessor and mutator methods that hide their information. They seriously need to ask themselves "does a client seriously need access to all this? Or will an accessor method with some black magic suffice?"

I still make around 5% of my variables two letters long, it's an improvement over the 95% from a few years ago but still...

I've been guilty of poor naming conventions for a while now. Then I read an excellent book called Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship, and it really blew my mind and changed my thinking. If you can get a copy of the book, I highly recommend it.

#coys

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 13:08:01 Reply

At 8/5/13 09:16 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: C# was made for those who were still intimidated by Java.

Honestly C#'s harder than Java. Much faster, too.

At 8/5/13 10:13 AM, Innermike wrote: I still haven't added key controls to my game because everybody should have a PS3 controller connected to their computer at all times.

Haha. 360 controllers all the way, man.

I have no idea what asp.net is

C# .NET frameowrk built specifically for web development

I one line tiny if statements all over the place then just add a comment to the end of the line to compensate for readability.

I do that, too, but it doesn't make it any less readable to me.

At 8/5/13 10:33 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: It's what you use as a server side language after a severe head trauma. When/If the brain swelling subsides, you switch to a more sensible alternative like Python or PHP*.

It's less buggy and faster for sure, but only runs on windows systems or a Windows wrapper such as wine, which makes it slower than PHP when running on a Linux server.
Still wouldn't use it over something like Python, though.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 14:44:56 Reply

At 8/5/13 09:16 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: Confession:
I think C is awesome.
In my mind, C++ is C with stuff added for those who thought C was too hard.
Also in my mind, Java was made for those who still felt C++ wasn't easy enough.
C# was made for those who were still intimidated by Java.
(I haven't ever spend much time mucking about with C++/Java/C#)

What the heck... are you talking about...
I think you have things a little backwards there ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 15:35:39 Reply

At 8/5/13 01:08 PM, egg82 wrote: Haha. 360 controllers all the way, man.

Yuck, everything about the 360 controller is pudgy, the ps3 controller is not only gloriously light and neat but those face buttons are so crisp, and don't even get me started on the D-pad. The 360 controller is fine for FPS' and maybe driving games but not for anything else really.

Time for a story

I found an artist who was trying to convince me to work on a game he had in exchange for his services on mine, seems fair enough right? Wrong, seems like a fucking gift from god. So I ask him to send over a swf or link to the current game (which he's been doing with this thing called stencyl), and he says no. He says he'll only show what the game is like to someone who is 100% sure to complete it. I'm thinking "fair enough, you wan't people to be committed, but how do you expect people to pledge to do that without knowing what they're getting into?".
Anyway, he gives me 4 lines of description for the game and says I need to make a level editor as good as stencyl, so I pop open a new tab and give it a google, I'm thinking "hey I've got a couple level editors in the bank, what am I up against here". Are you serious? For a game that is apparently so simple I need to basically recreate the Flash IDE? At this point I'm on the verge of suicide, then he has to leave before I have to say anything.
OK so I compose myself, write an answer I think is pretty reasonable (albeit long winded) basically saying that it might be smarter for him to finish it as is rather than starting from scratch and trying to replicate the tools, I could create something less fully featured but more specialized if that was necessary etc. Before I hit enter I realize I've spent too much time thinking and he's removed me as a contact.

Fuck everything.

nobody

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 16:11:04 Reply

At 8/1/13 07:41 PM, Rustygames wrote: You play SC2? League?

yes

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 17:19:32 Reply

At 8/5/13 10:13 AM, Innermike wrote: I still haven't added key controls to my game because everybody should have a PS3 controller connected to their computer at all times.

I love that the PS3 uses Bluetooth and not the proprietary crap that the 360 controller uses but I can't stand using a PS3 controller because of how tiny it is; it hurts my hands to hold it. It's like they designed it specifically for 14-year-old girls.

Sony also should have added artificial weight to the thing. It's so light that it feels like a cheap electronic that will break if you look at it the wrong way.

At 8/5/13 10:33 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: * I feel I must apologize to Diki for calling PHP sensible. While not the biggest fan of PHP, compared to ASP, it's pretty damned sexy; so is Jabba the Hutt.

I've never learned ASP.NET so I'll have to take your word for it, but I suppose even a pile of shit smells better than an entire sewage treatment plant. :)

At 8/5/13 10:55 AM, deckheadtottie wrote: @Diki could probably clarify this, but I think in C++ they're called "member functions".

In C++ anything you add to a class is a member, so if you add a function it can be called a member function, yes. Personally, in C++, and most other similar languages, I call functions that are not part of an object a function and functions that are part of an object a method. It has been a convenient distinction in my experience.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 18:53:58 Reply

At 8/5/13 05:19 PM, Diki wrote: I love that the PS3 uses Bluetooth and not the proprietary crap that the 360 controller uses but I can't stand using a PS3 controller because of how tiny it is; it hurts my hands to hold it. It's like they designed it specifically for 14-year-old girls.

Sony also should have added artificial weight to the thing. It's so light that it feels like a cheap electronic that will break if you look at it the wrong way.

Both of these points come up all the time, I have pretty big hands, probably bigger than anybody I've met and I don't really see the problem, as long as you're not trying to force your hands to contour to the controller it should be fine, in fact since it doesn't fit snugly like the 360 controller it means better air circulation so my palms don't get sweaty/sticky, it also makes occasionally holding it strangely much easier (for a button mashing segment in God Of War for example). Like when people say the iPhone is too small so they need 5" phablets like how are people holding these things? The weight of the 360 controller freaking stresses me out, it's good for vibration but aside from that it just makes extended play feel like effort.

One thing I hate about both is the lights, when I'm using them in the dark I hate the lights being on, thankfully that doesn't happen with the PS3 -> mac connection. From what I remember you can't connect the PS3 controller to a PC, or maybe I wasn't trying hard enough (but I was trying pretty hard).

nobody

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 19:06:32 Reply

At 8/5/13 04:11 PM, Toast wrote:
At 8/1/13 07:41 PM, Rustygames wrote: You play SC2? League?
yes

Didn't realize you were trying to make it as a pro! That's awesome! Shame you're protoss though ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 19:19:22 Reply

At 8/5/13 06:53 PM, Innermike wrote: Both of these points come up all the time, I have pretty big hands, probably bigger than anybody I've met and I don't really see the problem, as long as you're not trying to force your hands to contour to the controller it should be fine

I have a friend with tiny hands, what he himself has described as "carny hands", and even he finds the PS3 controller too small.

Because of the size of my hands (about 7.2" from bottom of palm to tip of middle finger) I have to contort them into an uncomfortable shape to hold the controller, and prevent it from falling forward because of the unbalanced weight, which quickly starts to cause a sharp pain on the top-side of my hands (i.e. the opposite side of my palms). Feels like having tendons being squeezed. It's the only controller I've ever used in my life that does that.

At 8/5/13 06:53 PM, Innermike wrote: The weight of the 360 controller freaking stresses me out, it's good for vibration but aside from that it just makes extended play feel like effort.

The wired controller, which is heavier than the wireless version, weighs only 300 grams. If that requires effort to hold then you need to eat more and start working out because that is very little weight to consider stressful to support; it's less than the weight of a single bottle of beer.

At 8/5/13 06:53 PM, Innermike wrote: From what I remember you can't connect the PS3 controller to a PC

The PS3 controller uses Bluetooth, of course you can. It can connect to literally any device in the world that supports Bluetooth.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 19:47:30 Reply

At 8/5/13 07:19 PM, Diki wrote:
At 8/5/13 06:53 PM, Innermike wrote: From what I remember you can't connect the PS3 controller to a PC
The PS3 controller uses Bluetooth, of course you can. It can connect to literally any device in the world that supports Bluetooth.

Let me clarify, I was never able to actually use it, so it might as well have not been connected. I don't have a windows partition installed right now so I can't go and check if the case has changed but I remember trying to play a bunch of things with it and it just wasn't happening, no applications seemed to register that a controller was connected, as opposed to my 360 controller which seemed to either get picked up as a 360 controller or at least as just some form of input.

nobody

Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 19:58:23 Reply

Your Bluetooth receiver may have been defective, or your drivers weren't installed correctly. Any Bluetooth-enabled controller should be immediately detected as an input device.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 21:09:32 Reply

At 8/5/13 07:19 PM, Diki wrote: it's less than the weight of a single bottle of beer.

And that's all that matters.

Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 22:03:08 Reply

I'm definitely well-versed in the weight of beer. :)

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 23:05:29 Reply

At 8/5/13 10:03 PM, Diki wrote: I'm definitely well-versed in the weight of beer. :)

ill admit. ive never had an alcoholic substance before.

None

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 23:49:24 Reply

At 8/5/13 11:05 PM, Luis wrote: ill admit. ive never had an alcoholic substance before.

I heard about you, Luis! You're the bad man come to take me away and get me drunk :(

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-05 23:49:38 Reply

Out of all the drugs I've done alcohol is by far the dumbest and most pointless, so I can't fault you for that.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-06 04:22:18 Reply

At 8/5/13 11:05 PM, Luis wrote:
At 8/5/13 10:03 PM, Diki wrote: I'm definitely well-versed in the weight of beer. :)

What??! I thought you lot come down to Londinium every year and do a big piss up?

At 8/5/13 11:49 PM, Diki wrote: Out of all the drugs I've done alcohol is by far the dumbest and most pointless, so I can't fault you for that.

That's blasphemy

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-06 08:52:28 Reply

At 8/5/13 11:49 PM, Diki wrote: Out of all the drugs I've done alcohol is by far the dumbest and most pointless, so I can't fault you for that.

Glad we can agree on something.

nobody

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-06 18:45:04 Reply

but what about.... oh.... or when.... oh.... or how it.... oh

(I get a lot more social if I have a few drinks, it's like extrovertedness in a can, and that is pretty fun sometimes)

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 10:26:41 Reply

At 8/6/13 06:45 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
but what about.... oh.... or when.... oh.... or how it.... oh

(I get a lot more social if I have a few drinks, it's like extrovertedness in a can, and that is pretty fun sometimes)

+1

And if anyone doesn't enjoy it it means they're all ready incredibly outgoing, or no one likes them XD

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 14:19:17 Reply

So in this single application i've learned:
Visual Studio
the VS form/window designer (and how it can be frustrating)
the differences between the .NET frameworks
the JSON.NET library
C#'s way of handling online interactions such as URL loading, resource-grabbing, and XML
Google's YouTube API V3
Google's YouTube API V2
OAuth

This application is fucking frustrating and it's taking forever, but i'm getting closer with every hour I put into it. And i'm learning a lot. That, too.

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 17:20:07 Reply

Just downloaded Haxe 3 and started a new OpenFl project in FlashDevelop 4.4.3, lets see how this goes. What do you think a good first project would be to test out Haxe?

I kinda wanna make a 2D fighter game. I never made a fighter game before, and figuring out how to store and process combos seems fun.

(You know I should probably release my ninja puzzle game before I do this)

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 17:30:10 Reply

At 8/7/13 05:20 PM, swishcheese wrote: Just downloaded Haxe 3 and started a new OpenFl project in FlashDevelop 4.4.3, lets see how this goes. What do you think a good first project would be to test out Haxe?

I kinda wanna make a 2D fighter game. I never made a fighter game before, and figuring out how to store and process combos seems fun.

(You know I should probably release my ninja puzzle game before I do this)

Whatever game was next on your list, it's almost exactly as3 syntax. I like openfl for the generics when I use object pools. Iterators are nice too, but there was a huge memory leak that I caught from using one (the scout screenshot I posted, the rendering and "button hittesting" increased to a stupid amount cuz of the iterator for some reason).

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 17:38:48 Reply

At 8/7/13 05:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: I like openfl for the generics when I use object pools.

Yeah, That is a reason I wanted to switch. (well and also the whole multi-platform thing) I was thinking to store user input in a queue in order to check for fight combos. I do not know if there is a Queue<T> class in the API but I think a generics Queue class would be good to make/have for all projects.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 17:48:28 Reply

At 8/7/13 05:38 PM, swishcheese wrote:
At 8/7/13 05:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: I like openfl for the generics when I use object pools.
Yeah, That is a reason I wanted to switch. (well and also the whole multi-platform thing) I was thinking to store user input in a queue in order to check for fight combos. I do not know if there is a Queue<T> class in the API but I think a generics Queue class would be good to make/have for all projects.

You can use Array<T> and push and pop. They have other list types as well, but arrays are just easy :)

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 18:05:04 Reply

At 8/7/13 05:48 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 8/7/13 05:38 PM, swishcheese wrote:
You can use Array<T> and push and pop. They have other list types as well, but arrays are just easy :)

That true, arrays are easy, but I am always looking optimize things. I wonder if using a LinkedList Queue that I made myself would be more beneficial then to just use the API Array with push and pop.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 18:36:21 Reply

At 8/7/13 06:05 PM, swishcheese wrote: That true, arrays are easy, but I am always looking optimize things. I wonder if using a LinkedList Queue that I made myself would be more beneficial then to just use the API Array with push and pop.

Lists are backed by arrays in swf export. Haxe arrays are more like as3 vectors, so you have that optimization. A linkedlist has better access than arrays, but a bigger initialize cost. It's also better for removing elements from the middle and front (removing from the back isn't a big deal either way).

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-07 18:44:08 Reply

At 8/6/13 04:22 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 8/5/13 11:05 PM, Luis wrote:
What??! I thought you lot come down to Londinium every year and do a big piss up?

i was drunk when i typed that. sorry.

None