Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-10 19:18:43 Reply

At 10/10/13 04:46 PM, Rustygames wrote: Eggy Mario, link plz

close enough :P
http://www.youtube.com/eggy82

At 10/10/13 05:57 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/10/13 04:27 PM, egg82 wrote: Though i've been doing two since Terraria is no longer getting views. Everybody's got the game, now :(
If we were near the same level in dota2, I'd suggest recording a game with me on skype. I get pretty heated when my team is bad, and they often are.

I'm awful at it, though I know how it works. I did a commentary once, but the video turned out like shit because I didn't set my recording software properly; so I never put it on the channel :(

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-11 01:12:07 Reply

Interview for Junior Front-End Developer position next Friday.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

nobody

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-11 12:44:06 Reply

At 10/11/13 01:12 AM, Innermike wrote: Interview for Junior Front-End Developer position next Friday.

Goooodluck man! Don't sweat it. Be confident.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-11 18:53:52 Reply

I haven't been coding at all lately, ever since i've been putting out daily YT content. Once I start refining my system more i'll happily make room for videos, but currently even school and YT is a really tight squeeze O.o

Still working on that MC mod. Again, pretty much paused that along with everything else in my life >.>

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-11 18:55:22 Reply

At 10/11/13 06:53 PM, egg82 wrote: Once I start refining my system more i'll happily make room for videos

programming* - I'll make room for programming. Sonofabitch this is ruling my life xD

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-11 19:25:09 Reply

At 10/11/13 07:18 PM, 1516l wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lscKfX1Fhlk

OOH, can I spam videos, too?! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXUI9zv8lw

Oh, yeah, that is me by the way.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-12 09:55:07 Reply

At 10/11/13 01:12 AM, Innermike wrote: Interview for Junior Front-End Developer position next Friday.

Which company / location?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-12 12:42:32 Reply

At 10/11/13 07:25 PM, egg82 wrote:
Oh, yeah, that is me by the way.

You look less like your icon than I originally expected.

TheEnkian
TheEnkian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-12 20:54:05 Reply

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do well.

Currently working on Enki Adventures, an action-adventure roguelike!
Enkian Games Twitter - For game updates and info!
The Enkian Twitter - For personal stuff!

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-13 08:50:39 Reply

At 10/9/13 06:16 PM, Rustygames wrote: It certainly does sound interesting to have the systems automatically pick up on which VO's (components) have that data and then act upon them if they do. Presumably any changes would either be polled or the system would just fire some update event notifying the view components to redraw etc.

I can see the systems becoming somewhat hard coupled though. Allow me to use wikipedias example to illustrate a scenario:

"Another system could be a collision detection. It would iterate through all entities that have a physical component, as it wouldn't care how the entity is drawn. This system would then detect arrows that collide with monsters, and generate an event when that happens. It shouldn't need to understand what an arrow is, and what it means when another object is hit by an arrow.
Yet another component could be health data, and a system that manages health. Health components would be attached to the human and monster entities, but not to arrow entities. The health management system would subscribe to the event generated from collisions and update health accordingly. This system could also now and then iterate through all entities with the health component, and regenerate health."

The problem I foresee here is that you instantly have a hard coupled dependency between the health system and the collision system. The health system must update it's components on certain collision events.

Suppose the angle you hit a wall at is relevant to how much health you lose. That data would need to come in a payload from the collision event.

Now what if I want to take my health system and move it to another game where collision is not the system which health events are interested in, and damage is no longer calculated based on angle, it's based on how sharp the enemies sword is. I'm going to either add methods to health and leave some unused redundant code in there (very bad) or write a new health component (meaning the code isn't reusable).

Also I was wondering about systems editing many components and potentially conflicting since it's a bit of a free-for-all on them.

Please forgive me if I'm talking rubbish since I've never used the pattern before :)

In a proper design, you should only really have 1 system modifying components, but you can have several systems reading them.
Wikipedia's example is bad design :P
What I would do is the same up until the Collision. The CollisionSystem would add a CollisionComponent to both entities that just collided. Then, an ArrowSystem would be listening to entities that have a CollisionComponent and ArrowComponent, and then calculates the inflicted damage. It then creates a new entity, that only has a DamageComponent, which holds the amount of damage, and a reference to the target entity. Yet another DamageSystem picks up entities with DamageComponents, and then inflicts that damage to the target entity (who has a HealthComponent).

Which means in this case the DamageSystem is completely independent, it only needs entities with a DamageComponent, and target entity. Anything can generate damage at this point. The specific implementation comes in the ArrowSystem, which can be removed, and not affect anything, or in another game, you create a new System that would generate the entities with the DamageComponent based on different factors, w/e.

Btw, about several systems modifying several components, it either just naturally doesn't happen (if it does, it's usually just bad design), or if it happens to happen at some point, it doesn't really matter much.

In response to your example, the SwordSystem would take entities with a CollisionComponent, and SwordComponent, and then the SwordComponent would probably have a sharpness property you can use.

If something seems coupled, you just take an axe and chop it up until it's not coupled anymore!

P.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-13 09:06:39 Reply

In fact, now I'm thinking that there should also be collision entities with a CollisionComponent which holds references to both colliding entities, rather than attaching a CollisionComponent to both entities, since that limits both entities to only having 1 possible collision at a time, which is impractical.

But then a problemo arises in the damage systems, since you no longer have "strict typing" of the target entities, which could result in a big if/else branch, checking both entities in a CollisionComponent for an ArrowComponent and PlayerComponent, which becomes very un-reusable. So good point. On the other hand, this creates the opportunity of having a very dynamic collision system, since you could have all entities that should track collision events, have a CollisionGroup component. In which case, the CollisionSystem looks at the CollisionGroup component of colliding entities, and if one exists for both entities, then it can create a corresponding component. And then that component gets picked up by a system that deals with those collision groups interacting. In this case, probably Projectile group and Body group. Something like that.

(Might not make sense, was thinking about it while typing. Have to figure out the exact implementation of the CollisionGroupComponent, to have it somehow define the actual type of the resulting component to use. In my current ES design, I assume all components of a type to be equal, but I guess you can create lots of systems that listen for entities that have a CollisionGroupComponent and CollisionComponent, and only act on the entities that hold the correct value in the CollisionGroupComponent, like a string, but again, this doesn't have strict typing, since you could have string typos, and then shit gets fucked...still thinking :D )

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 02:50:45 Reply

Entity System actually look pretty neat for game design. Where should I go if I wanna learn more about them/how to create a simple one to start to get my brain understanding how they work better? (sorry if you already stated this somewhere previous to my post)

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 11:49:57 Reply

At 10/14/13 02:50 AM, swishcheese wrote: Entity System actually look pretty neat for game design. Where should I go if I wanna learn more about them/how to create a simple one to start to get my brain understanding how they work better? (sorry if you already stated this somewhere previous to my post)

P would link you here which itself has a link to an article about entity systems. I'll probably start using it as well once he gives a straight answer to collisions!

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 12:44:33 Reply

At 10/13/13 09:06 AM, PSvils wrote: Entity systems advice

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It does seem interesting, I think I will try it next mini project I do (probably late 2014 at this rate!). I'm always keen to try new things in small scale since PureMVC changed my life so much ;)

At 10/14/13 02:50 AM, swishcheese wrote: Entity System actually look pretty neat for game design. Where should I go if I wanna learn more about them/how to create a simple one to start to get my brain understanding how they work better? (sorry if you already stated this somewhere previous to my post)

Not Wikipedia apparently!

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 16:06:29 Reply

At 10/14/13 11:49 AM, MSGhero wrote: P would link you here which itself has a link to an article about entity systems. I'll probably start using it as well once he gives a straight answer to collisions!

Coool. Thanks. Sooo, I just got a project to do in my Organization of Programming Languages (OPL) class where we have to learn a non-imperative language and make a program in that language and present it to the class. Any ideas on Languages??

Examples he gave were Functional, and Logic programming languages Like Lisp or Prolog. I was wondering, is there any programming languages out there that's main focus is Entity system that are not imperative (Or is ES strictly a programming model where programming language does not matter)?? So maybe I could learn and present how an Entity System works, because I am going to learn about them anyway. I might as well get school credit while doing so.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 17:26:20 Reply

At 10/14/13 04:06 PM, swishcheese wrote: So maybe I could learn and present how an Entity System works, because I am going to learn about them anyway. I might as well get school credit while doing so.

Seems more like an OOP thing.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-14 23:34:53 Reply

This is probably the coolest use for as3 that I've seen other than for games.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-15 06:23:10 Reply

At 10/14/13 04:06 PM, swishcheese wrote: Coool. Thanks. Sooo, I just got a project to do in my Organization of Programming Languages (OPL) class where we have to learn a non-imperative language and make a program in that language and present it to the class. Any ideas on Languages??

Examples he gave were Functional, and Logic programming languages Like Lisp or Prolog. I was wondering, is there any programming languages out there that's main focus is Entity system that are not imperative (Or is ES strictly a programming model where programming language does not matter)?? So maybe I could learn and present how an Entity System works, because I am going to learn about them anyway. I might as well get school credit while doing so.

The concept of ES would be very hard to do in a functional language, because of the fact that state is very important in an entity system...in fact, it's almost all about state, and functional languages have none. Not sure about logical languages though.

Either way, I've mainly seen ESes in procedural languages, not sure if they exist elsewhere. And ESes are anything but OOP design.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-15 11:12:03 Reply

Well, this is slightly frustrating. I really want to be a part of these wall'o'text conversations, but I don't have the time to read any, let alone write a response myself.

Can we just say I posted something really clever and funny? :P

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-15 13:09:22 Reply

At 10/15/13 11:12 AM, egg82 wrote: Can we just say I posted something really clever and funny? :P

Hahaha. Egg. you so clever and funny. That was a good one, thanks for laugh about ESes.

now nobody will every know... your welcome

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-15 15:57:07 Reply

At 10/15/13 11:12 AM, egg82 wrote: Well, this is slightly frustrating. I really want to be a part of these wall'o'text conversations, but I don't have the time to read any, let alone write a response myself.

Can we just say I posted something really clever and funny? :P

If PS and I can find time then you can too!

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-17 09:30:27 Reply

Holy shit Bryce I didn't know you made this song http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/281030 man I used to listen to that all the time, that Atlantis one used to be my alarm. I'm so star-struck.

nobody

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-17 14:14:17 Reply

At 10/17/13 09:30 AM, Innermike wrote: Holy shit Bryce I didn't know you made this song http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/281030 man I used to listen to that all the time, that Atlantis one used to be my alarm. I'm so star-struck.

You didn't answer; who's the interview with?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-19 13:57:11 Reply

At 10/17/13 09:30 AM, Innermike wrote: nice things

Thanks sir!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 15:21:28 Reply

Anyone else absolutely despise the MVC model? Had to use it for iPhone development and it about killed me.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 15:28:55 Reply

At 10/20/13 03:21 PM, egg82 wrote: Anyone else absolutely despise the MVC model? Had to use it for iPhone development and it about killed me.

I know for a fact that @Rustygames hates it :P

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 16:17:47 Reply

At 10/20/13 03:21 PM, egg82 wrote: Anyone else absolutely despise the MVC model? Had to use it for iPhone development and it about killed me.

i hate most textbook "design patterns" since people often just shoehorn them into things without fully understanding their purpose and benefits / drawbacks.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 19:29:56 Reply

What's wrong with it?

At 10/20/13 03:28 PM, MSGhero wrote:
I know for a fact that @Rustygames hates it :P

Oh you ;)

At 10/20/13 04:17 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
i hate most textbook "design patterns" since people often just shoehorn them into things without fully understanding their purpose and benefits / drawbacks.

You mean you hate the people who just use them without understanding why? Surely you can't hate design all design patterns in principle because that would mean you just spaghetti your way through everything :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 20:01:38 Reply

At 10/20/13 07:29 PM, Rustygames wrote: You mean you hate the people who just use them without understanding why? Surely you can't hate design all design patterns in principle because that would mean you just spaghetti your way through everything :)

I hate almost all of them, from the perspective of a solo programmer. Most of the ones i've seen have their main purpose being organizational when dealing with multiple people working on separate parts of a project

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-10-20 21:27:48 Reply

At 10/20/13 07:29 PM, Rustygames wrote: What's wrong with it?

It's good for applications in which the user has a bunch of forms to interact with. Say, maybe a self-updating web form with javascript or something like that.

If you're trying to create a game with that system, however..
Well, fuck, you'd be better off trying to pull the legs off a kicking mule. With your teeth.

BBS Signature