New Topic Respond to this Topic
frazer151
frazer151
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 12:58:12 Reply

Thanks to you lot for helping me in my threads. I'm getting there.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/23c55c8ce04586fee678682c d2023912

Refresh to get a new random map + random colors.

+ (through code I can edit draw region, number of random tile types, starting postion ect)

the map is 2400 x 2400 :)

very proud of this. Thanks a lot! Tell me what you think?

frazer151
frazer151
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 12:59:41 Reply

At 7/21/13 12:58 PM, frazer151 wrote: Thanks to you lot for helping me in my threads. I'm getting there.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/23c55c8ce04586fee678682c d2023912

Refresh to get a new random map + random colors.

I forgot to mention. Use the arrow keys to move. Rendering will probs give white screen for few seconds.

MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 13:54:18 Reply

At 7/21/13 09:38 AM, Innermike wrote:
At 7/21/13 08:06 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 7/20/13 12:09 PM, Innermike wrote: Anyone ever got a job out of just hanging around places? It seems like a parsec-long-shot but it's better than nothing.
No that's not gonna work ;)
At least I'll meet some new peeps right? I figured talking to people would be helpful at least in absorbing some experience.
Which companies have you sent a CV to?
I think any sort of full thing is off limits right now so I'm eyeing up this seemingly gettable internship here and this one too.

This thing is looking sparse though http://innermike.com/CV.html :(

Please teach me o wise one.

hi mike,
besides just say computer skills, be a little more blatant and have also other skills such as communication or working well with a team or something (which could very well be done through a game jam (or a team in general), to teach you those things) to make them seem more appropriate.

and you really really need some referees, even if they are just a friend or a relative. when i went for my first job i put my uncle (last name different) and a teacher on there.

hope this helps.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 15:01:08 Reply

At 7/21/13 01:54 PM, MrRandomist wrote: hi mike,
besides just say computer skills, be a little more blatant and have also other skills such as communication or working well with a team or something (which could very well be done through a game jam (or a team in general), to teach you those things) to make them seem more appropriate.

That does sound smart, I'll try.

and you really really need some referees, even if they are just a friend or a relative. when i went for my first job i put my uncle (last name different) and a teacher on there.

Yeah I know that's been like my biggest problem, I can't really put any teachers because, well lets say they weren't fans of me, same could be said for family, and employers (well I think I've made that obvious). But shit, I guess I need someone on there.

hope this helps.

Yeah man every little helps.

Don't sue me Tesco

nobody

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 15:12:37 Reply

At 7/21/13 09:38 AM, Innermike wrote: This thing is looking sparse though http://innermike.com/CV.html :(

Extensive experience? How so? You need to list it.

Don't worry about intern, just say Junior Developer.
Be more specific about any frameworks you have used
Have you done any test driven development? That's a plus
Do you know much about design patterns? If so it's a big plus to mention this

Most important thing missing from there is a portfolio. List examples of what you've done, even if it's Newgrounds links, that's what my CV looked like when I got my first junior developer job!

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 15:49:24 Reply

At 7/21/13 03:12 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 7/21/13 09:38 AM, Innermike wrote: This thing is looking sparse though http://innermike.com/CV.html :(

Yeah it's proven difficult getting accurate tips on how detailed to be, is it true that it should be one page long? Or does that not apply to first timers?

Okay, damn so much new terminology has been bombarding me recently.

OK got it

I've heard so much about it, sounds like some space age shit but also sounds like it's what everyone wants :(

I feel like I should :/ is it like standard solutions or something like that? fuck why does all this stuff go over my head

Most important thing missing from there is a portfolio. List examples of what you've done, even if it's Newgrounds links, that's what my CV looked like when I got my first junior developer job!

So I could link to this http://www.innermike.com/#flash ? My website(s) were done from scratch though I doubt that counts for anything these days since anybody and there grandma can put together a basic site. I'm working on some canvas demos, and I suppose I could find some half broken desktop/mobile stuff somewhere, and dump that, though I don't know how careful I should be about hiding unfinished things, I can see how that reflects badly on me. Then maybe my current game (or just the source?)

Shit. I don't know what I expected but I don't think I was expecting things to be this hard. I have so much more empathy for unemployed people.

But thanks to everyone for all the help, seriously, you guys are the best.

For you:

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

nobody

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-21 16:34:37 Reply

At 7/21/13 03:49 PM, Innermike wrote:
At 7/21/13 03:12 PM, Rustygames wrote:
Yeah it's proven difficult getting accurate tips on how detailed to be, is it true that it should be one page long? Or does that not apply to first timers?

Just get all the info there and don't waffle on. From what I see it's way too short. Usually I see 2-3 pages but don't worry about number of pages, just stick to the important info.

Okay, damn so much new terminology has been bombarding me recently.

I've never really heard of interns... I know grads and juniors, but they're just normal employees at entry level, none of this unpaid or super-low paid stuff.

OK got it

List em :)

I've heard so much about it, sounds like some space age shit but also sounds like it's what everyone wants :(

Don't worry it's not essential, you should read up a little theory on it and have a quick fuck about with ASUnit or something, but don't worry too much

I feel like I should :/ is it like standard solutions or something like that? fuck why does all this stuff go over my head

You will probably be using a bunch every day and just not know it. Read a book on it (which will surely only take you a week max) and then you can confidently put it on your CV. Employers love it! Here is a good book on it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-First-Design-Patterns-Freeman/d p/0596007124

So I could link to this http://www.innermike.com/#flash ? My website(s) were done from scratch though I doubt that counts for anything these days since anybody and there grandma can put together a basic site. I'm working on some canvas demos, and I suppose I could find some half broken desktop/mobile stuff somewhere, and dump that, though I don't know how careful I should be about hiding unfinished things, I can see how that reflects badly on me. Then maybe my current game (or just the source?)

That's perfect! Why didn't you show this in the first place?! It's got some awesome stuff on there!
Have you listed your involvement on it all? (If it's everything then say so on the site!). Also it never hurts to put some accompanying source code with some of it (make sure it's your best work!)
Oh and remove the links section, you don't need to bother employers with that. If this site isn't strictly a portfolio site then you should make a copy which is and remove the links.

Overall dude seriously, make those few little tweaks and start sending out CV's to anyone who has a "hiring" page on their website, and just go on jobserve or something and some bastard agent will put you on their books and bother you constantly. You'll be working as a junior dev within a few weeks. Pro tip: Flash devs are scarce at the moment ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-22 12:53:02 Reply

>public var question = new Question("offtopic");

I'm OK (OK, not that good) at HTML, JS, CSS and SQL. Is it a good idea to learn ASP.NET MVC with C#? Thanks.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-22 12:55:42 Reply

At 7/22/13 12:53 PM, FlyingColours wrote: >public var question = new Question("offtopic");

Also, I had no idea why I just put the 'public' keyword here but didn't strong-type the variable.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-22 13:50:57 Reply

At 7/22/13 12:53 PM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm OK (OK, not that good) at HTML, JS, CSS and SQL. Is it a good idea to learn ASP.NET MVC with C#? Thanks.
using system;

namespace Program {
	public class CSharpLanguage {
		private bool _shouldLearn = false;

public CSharpLanguage(bool knowsAS3, bool knowsJava, bool KnowsCBasedLanguage = false) {
			if (knowsAS3 || knowsJava) {
				_shouldLearn = true;
			}

if (!knowsCBasedLanguage) {
				Console.WriteLine("Might be a good idea to learn the basics, but not really required");
			}
		}

public bool shouldLearn {
			get {
				return _shouldLearn;
			}
		}
	}
}

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-22 19:50:59 Reply

At 7/22/13 12:53 PM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm OK (OK, not that good) at HTML, JS, CSS and SQL. Is it a good idea to learn ASP.NET MVC with C#? Thanks.

I wouldn't say that it's either good or bad. C# is a solid language but you don't absolutely have to learn it. If you have a use for C# then go for it. Even if you don't have a use for it, but think it would be fun to learn, go for it. You really can't go wrong with expanding your knowledge of programming, so if there's a new language that you want to learn, even if it's just for fun, go for it!

Also bear in mind that C# isn't comparable to HTML, CSS or SQL, and only has a few things in common with JavaScript (which is pretty much entirely syntactical similarities), so your knowledge of those languages won't really carry over.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 06:00:45 Reply

@egg: I get the idea, LOL.

//This is AS3.
var csl:CSharpLanguage = new CSharpLanguage(true, truebutjustalittle);
if(csl.shouldLearn){
 learnLanguage("c#");
}

Output:

I will now learn C#.

@Diki: I do have a use for it now. I wanted to make a PHP site for me an my friends to play Mafia/Werewolf online, but then I remembered what you said on multiple occasions about PHP, so I figured ASP.NET with C# would be a better choice. I wasn't expecting to carry anything over from HTML/CSS/SQL, but I figured those were essential for web development, so I mentioned them...

I've been following the w3schools tutorials and I'm doing fine so far. It's mostly copy-pasting code, except for the database part, in which I rebelled and refused to use those GUI features, instead using SQL for everything. I think using the GUIs make databases easier to learn, but at the cost of development time.

Weirdly enough, after I executed a CREATE TABLE statement, I was told that the statement wasn't supported, but the table got created anyway...
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 09:36:18 Reply

I was going to write something more along the lines of Diki, but I decided writing it in C# was more fun.
It's the whole "right tool for the right job" - C# is amazing for game development (ever heard of the XNA framework? Terraria, anyone?)

At 7/23/13 06:00 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I've been following the w3schools tutorials and I'm doing fine so far.

I'll save Diki the trouble of raging and put this here :P

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 12:04:33 Reply

At 7/23/13 06:00 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I've been following the w3schools tutorials and I'm doing fine so far.
I'll save Diki the trouble of raging and put this here :P

Actually, you didn't have to. I just realised I've actually learnt nothing after finishing the w3schools tutorial. I'm following the ones on Microsoft's site instead...

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 13:48:07 Reply

At 7/23/13 09:36 AM, egg82 wrote: C# is amazing for game development (ever heard of the XNA framework? Terraria, anyone?)

Easy, wouldn't say amazing, especially if we're talking cross-platform.

ESPECIALLY if we're talking cross-platform

nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 14:19:56 Reply

At 7/23/13 01:48 PM, Innermike wrote:
ESPECIALLY if we're talking cross-platform

ohhh, yeah. That's a thing.
Also, I finally decided to put my recent project on Github, mostly because I had an array of buttons for it in VS.
And now i'm passing the time by documenting some of the classes.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 16:35:38 Reply

At 7/23/13 06:00 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I wanted to make a PHP site for me an my friends to play Mafia/Werewolf online, but then I remembered what you said on multiple occasions about PHP, so I figured ASP.NET with C# would be a better choice.

This made me smile. :)

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 18:01:34 Reply

At 7/23/13 04:35 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/23/13 06:00 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I wanted to make a PHP site for me an my friends to play Mafia/Werewolf online, but then I remembered what you said on multiple occasions about PHP, so I figured ASP.NET with C# would be a better choice.

Errr what? PHP is a very good thing to know... Am I missing something? I always thought using Microsoft languages was a bad idea?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 18:11:35 Reply

At 7/23/13 04:35 PM, Diki wrote:

Errr what? PHP is a very good thing to know... Am I missing something? I always thought using Microsoft languages was a bad idea?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-23 18:27:45 Reply

I've ripped on PHP for being a terrible language many times, so I'm happy to see I turned someone away from that mess. And there's nothing wrong with C#. It can be a bit goofy sometimes, but overall it's a good language.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 06:30:07 Reply

At 7/23/13 06:27 PM, Diki wrote: I've ripped on PHP for being a terrible language many times, so I'm happy to see I turned someone away from that mess. And there's nothing wrong with C#. It can be a bit goofy sometimes, but overall it's a good language.

I think C# is really cool. PHP is terrible of course, but if you're serious about doing any server side scripting then surely it's a must? (being the most popular and therefore most widely supported)

ASP is a terrible idea :)

I don't know that much about server side stuff though, so I'll take your word for it :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 10:59:53 Reply

At 7/24/13 06:30 AM, Rustygames wrote: ASP is a terrible idea :)

Mostly because ASP doesn't support anything but Windows systems, which is awful for servers.
May I suggest Python for your server-side needs?
(Hell, you could make a server-side language with anything that supports sockets. Yes, that includes AS3)

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 14:43:01 Reply

But why Newgrounds Flash Reg Lounge, why not PHP! :'(

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 15:55:35 Reply

At 7/24/13 02:43 PM, Rustygames wrote: But why Newgrounds Flash Reg Lounge, why not PHP! :'(

Even my TAs were talking about php yesterday during java recitation. They said you can code it poorly and still have it work...or something, it was in the background.

To fix the horrid lag in my iso rpg, I turn down the quality when the screen is panning (re-depthing and re-rednering all the tiles), and it seems to be good now. Hopefully with real art it doesn't look too poopy. The tiles will eventually be replaced by a background, maybe assembled by tiles or maybe one image covering all the tiles, so that'll help performance quite a bit.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 16:29:39 Reply

At 7/24/13 03:55 PM, MSGhero wrote: To fix the horrid lag in my iso rpg, I turn down the quality when the screen is panning (re-depthing and re-rednering all the tiles), and it seems to be good now. Hopefully with real art it doesn't look too poopy. The tiles will eventually be replaced by a background, maybe assembled by tiles or maybe one image covering all the tiles, so that'll help performance quite a bit.

Silly question but, are the tiles bitmaps?
Also what's the target platform for the game? (Flash on desktop?)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 16:41:01 Reply

At 7/24/13 04:29 PM, Rustygames wrote: Silly question but, are the tiles bitmaps?
Also what's the target platform for the game? (Flash on desktop?)

The default tiles are IsoBoxes, which eventually boils down to a Sprite with drawn graphics. When I look at the render phase in Scout, there's a million green rectangles when the camera pans, which would be those tiles. I want the background to end up as a single sprite or bitmap (there's zooming involved so I'd kinda prefer sprite to keep the quality). Foreground objects that the player could end up behind would have to be on another layer.

Flash. I had this demo before I started with haxe, and I have no interest in porting it over when it's probably only going on flash sites.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-24 19:19:42 Reply

It turns out ASP.NET MVC turns your site into a C# application that spits out HTML, rather than a series of HTML docs manipulated by C#. Nifty, huh? :) Shouldn't be that hard to find a free web host that supports ASP.NET, right?

Incidentally, I just realised w3schools taught me to use the Entity Framework the wrong way. I trusted them for such a long time...
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-25 05:56:08 Reply

At 7/24/13 07:19 PM, FlyingColours wrote: It turns out ASP.NET MVC turns your site into a C# application that spits out HTML, rather than a series of HTML docs manipulated by C#. Nifty, huh? :) Shouldn't be that hard to find a free web host that supports ASP.NET, right?

Incidentally, I just realised w3schools taught me to use the Entity Framework the wrong way. I trusted them for such a long time...

PHP has frameworks too, http://puremvc.github.io/

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-25 21:27:44 Reply

At 7/25/13 05:56 AM, Rustygames wrote: PHP has frameworks too, http://puremvc.github.io/

Diki would have far better answers than I, but here's what I got from his rants:
PHP is slow. Like, ungodly slow - http://www.phpbench.com/
PHP is buggy - https://bugs.php.net/search.php?boolean=0&limit=30&order_by=
id&direction=DESC&cmd=display&status=Open&bug_age=0&bug_upda ted=0&bug_type=All

PHP doesn't have good documentation - https://www.google.com/search?q=PHP+missing+documentation&oq =PHP+missing+documentation&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i62l3j69i64.
4345j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PHP doesn't have standards (this is my big pet-peeve) - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/307089/php-coding-standar ds
PHP also has type-casting, which promotes REALLY bad coding practices (AS2, anyone?)

this has some stuff, but it just came up in another google search I did, so take it with a grain of salt.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-26 11:52:13 Reply

At 7/25/13 09:27 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 7/25/13 05:56 AM, Rustygames wrote: PHP has frameworks too, http://puremvc.github.io/
Diki would have far better answers than I, but here's what I got from his rants:
PHP is slow. Like, ungodly slow - http://www.phpbench.com/
PHP is buggy - https://bugs.php.net/search.php?boolean=0&limit=30&order_by=
id&direction=DESC&cmd=display&status=Open&bug_age=0&bug_upda ted=0&bug_type=All
PHP doesn't have good documentation - https://www.google.com/search?q=PHP+missing+documentation&oq =PHP+missing+documentation&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i62l3j69i64.
4345j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
PHP doesn't have standards (this is my big pet-peeve) - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/307089/php-coding-standar ds
PHP also has type-casting, which promotes REALLY bad coding practices (AS2, anyone?)

this has some stuff, but it just came up in another google search I did, so take it with a grain of salt.

Okay this makes sense :)

It's the age old problem that has plagued us (and will continue to do so) for many years.

IE6 is a piece of shit but you have to support it (not any more I hope!)
Windows is slow but everyone uses it so you have to
Javascript/HTML5 is terrible but some commercial requirements demand it

Sour bout having to do things because of legacy reasons and demand :(

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com