How to get madness sprites?

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 01:25 PM Reply

My first ever flash project was a sprite movie about megaman. I still regard it is as my magnum opus, and I've never been able to top it. Check it out. It's on my NG account. Warning: Extremely high brow

BBS Signature
MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 1/29/13 01:25 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: My first ever flash project was a sprite movie about megaman. I still regard it is as my magnum opus, and I've never been able to top it. Check it out. It's on my NG account. Warning: Extremely high brow

i really like the explosion effects :D

Inglor
Inglor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 07:40 PM Reply

So, it has been another year and I was wondering if anyone here still remembers me :)?

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:40 PM, Inglor wrote: So, it has been another year and I was wondering if anyone here still remembers me :)?

Yes, yes I do.

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 07:40 PM, Inglor wrote: So, it has been another year and I was wondering if anyone here still remembers me :)?

Yup

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 10:29 PM Reply

I remember your name, no idea who you are though :D

I just deleted about 500 whitespace and single brace lines from my classes...not sure why I did that

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:43 PM, Mattster wrote: on (release){
var apple:Map = new Integer("Multiplayer")
parent.parent.parent.root.parent.gotoAndPlay(apple, "start")
duplicateMovieClip(this)
}

Make sure you put that code somewhere on a button nested within a MovieClip called "superbutonst4rt" or else it won't work.

You're trolling, right? It's not very funny. Apparently, you just confused PSvils.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:59 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 04:20 AM, FlyingColours wrote: You're trolling, right? It's not very funny. Apparently, you just confused PSvils.

I couldn't help but smile at that.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:27 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 05:59 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 2/2/13 04:20 AM, FlyingColours wrote: You're trolling, right? It's not very funny. Apparently, you just confused PSvils.
I couldn't help but smile at that.

Upon re-reading, I realised PSvils was being ironic too, and he wasn't really confusing AS and C++ stuff. Well, no wonder why you smiled.

By the way, I looked at the code again and there was only one real error in it:

1) on(release) is bad practice, but not illegal. Same goes for the lack of semicolons.
2) Map could be a subclass of Integer. In the constructor of the Integer class, each character the 'Multiplayer' string will be converted into its ASCII code and into an integer.
3) The lack of underscores before _parent and _root were intentional. Those are, in fact, dynamic properties of the button, and have nothing to do with nesting MovieClips.
4) The global gotoAndPlay function doesn't allow passing variables into the scene name, but this rule was not violated because gotoAndPlay was a method of the class of parent.parent.parent.root.parent, and not the global function.
5) The only real error was duplicateMovieClip. We know that the button is located inside a MovieClip, and AS2 doesn't support method overloading, so there can't possibly be a duplicateMovieClip with one parameter.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:53 AM Reply

Being trolled by flash, something I'm working on doesn't dip below 55fps at its worst, keep in mind I'm using a lowest spec Macbook Air, 1.7ghz, integrated GPU. Sent to someone with a top spec retina Macbook Pro he gets a steady 10fps. Hahahaha what the fuck is this shit.

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 08:27 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Upon re-reading, I realised PSvils was being ironic too, and he wasn't really confusing AS and C++ stuff. Well, no wonder why you smiled.

By the way, I looked at the code again and there was only one real error in it:

Is this still part of the joke?

I don't get it.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:47 PM Reply

At 2/2/13 03:30 PM, Sam wrote: Is this still part of the joke?

I don't get it.

What part of the joke? I was defending the joke!

Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 2/2/13 08:27 AM, FlyingColours wrote: By the way, I looked at the code again and there was only one real error in it:

The code block I posted was just a tribute to all those terrible habits that AS2 got people into. I've noticed so many topics about people having issues with AS2, or they are throwing code everywhere, no classes etc... So I compiled some of my favourites into a little segment.

I really wasn't thinking at all when writing it, which I notice is even clearer now due to the lack of underscores. It goes to show that I don't remember anything about AS2 besides "on(func){}" xD

Inglor
Inglor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 01:23 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 10:23 PM, Spysociety wrote:
Yup
At 1/31/13 08:42 PM, Sam wrote:
Yes, yes I do.

Cool, I'll be back in another year, apperantly Toast is still here too :) No sign of any Denvish or NegativeOne or schorhr or AfroNinja or Luis or jmtb or Glaiel or anyone else though, hmmm

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 01:23 PM, Inglor wrote: Cool, I'll be back in another year, apperantly Toast is still here too :) No sign of any Denvish or NegativeOne or schorhr or AfroNinja or Luis or jmtb or Glaiel or anyone else though, hmmm

Toast, yes.
Denvish, no.
NegativeOne, no.
schorhr, no.
AfroNinja, yes.
Luis, yes.
Glaiel, yes.

From what i've seen.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 01:23 PM, Inglor wrote: Cool, I'll be back in another year, apperantly Toast is still here too :) No sign of any Denvish or NegativeOne or schorhr or AfroNinja or Luis or jmtb or Glaiel or anyone else though, hmmm

Luis pokes his sombrero in occasionally. Glaiel shows up every other page; he's probably busy rolling in cash after the Closure greenlight.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 01:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: Luis pokes his sombrero in occasionally. Glaiel shows up every other page; he's probably busy rolling in cash after the Closure greenlight.

And playing DotA, apparently.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 05:31 PM, Sam wrote:
At 2/4/13 01:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: Luis pokes his sombrero in occasionally. Glaiel shows up every other page; he's probably busy rolling in cash after the Closure greenlight.

im busy cloning minecraft

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:27 PM Reply

At 2/4/13 06:40 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 2/4/13 05:31 PM, Sam wrote:
im busy cloning minecraft

I will poke in now more regularly, now that jim has enabled the forum reply feed. I really should make more of a habit of coming in here. On the topic of flash. I was thinking about something today, during my last trip to London I had a chance to speak to the 'newer' talent on newgrounds (mostly on the art side this time) and how they fit into the newgrounds/flash ecosystem and what sort of opportunities they were involved in or seeing both from a business and enthusiast point of view and I was kind of suprised at how veterans on our animation end / people like Weebl, ebolaworld, oney, etc have been collaborating with and taking in newer artists to help out on new and existing franchises. It's always nice to see the system having a cascading effect, where as you grow as a professional you go back to your roots and help out the next generation. So my thought is, does that happen on the programming side at all? Or is that side very silo-oriented? I guess if anything, this particular lounge is a good testament of programmers still keeping a pulse on things even if you arent actively even using flash or in the thick of the portal/etc.

Also hi Inglor

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:27 PM, Luis wrote: So my thought is, does that happen on the programming side at all? Or is that side very silo-oriented? I guess if anything, this particular lounge is a good testament of programmers still keeping a pulse on things even if you arent actively even using flash or in the thick of the portal/etc.

programmers in general are usually very competitive when it comes to programming itself, and as such we tend to try to 1-up eachother constantly (which helps the people who aren't new but still have a lot to learn) - however, we recognize when people are new, and most of us try to help out as much as possible.

personally, I don't think of myself as an excellent teacher (I tend to get frustrated and annoyed fairly easily. Stupidity and willful ignorance are my buttons, there) but I do what I can. I know that there are quite a few others with much more tolerance than I helping people to grow on a more personal level (I learned OOP basics via FlashDevelop and AS3 from MintPaw)

though we do try to go outside every now and again, we also need to keep up with the pace of technology and thus we usually have our hands full with jobs, projects, and learning; simply put: we don't get out much, so you don't tend to see us being social butterflies.

this is all my perspective, though, so it's mostly opinion-based.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:46 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 2/5/13 12:27 PM, Luis wrote: So my thought is, does that happen on the programming side at all? Or is that side very silo-oriented? I guess if anything, this particular lounge is a good testament of programmers still keeping a pulse on things even if you arent actively even using flash or in the thick of the portal/etc.
programmers in general are usually very competitive when it comes to programming itself, and as such we tend to try to 1-up eachother constantly (which helps the people who aren't new but still have a lot to learn) - however, we recognize when people are new, and most of us try to help out as much as possible.

personally, I don't think of myself as an excellent teacher (I tend to get frustrated and annoyed fairly easily. Stupidity and willful ignorance are my buttons, there) but I do what I can. I know that there are quite a few others with much more tolerance than I helping people to grow on a more personal level (I learned OOP basics via FlashDevelop and AS3 from MintPaw)

though we do try to go outside every now and again, we also need to keep up with the pace of technology and thus we usually have our hands full with jobs, projects, and learning; simply put: we don't get out much, so you don't tend to see us being social butterflies.

this is all my perspective, though, so it's mostly opinion-based.

No thats very valid. I suppose its a different world altogether, like in the art world you can have someone new be open to doing 'grunt-work' like in-betweens and backgrounds. I suppose programming is a different beast altogether where you cant just leave big gaps in your code and have somone new 'replicate' or fill in the blanks lol.

So maybe its just not practically possible or efficient.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:50 PM, Luis wrote: No thats very valid. I suppose its a different world altogether, like in the art world you can have someone new be open to doing 'grunt-work' like in-betweens and backgrounds. I suppose programming is a different beast altogether where you cant just leave big gaps in your code and have somone new 'replicate' or fill in the blanks lol.

So maybe its just not practically possible or efficient.

one of the perks of an OOP language is that you can have many people working on many different things and have a fluid product at the end. I'm not going to say it's easy to do so (it still requires a lot of communication) but it is possible. However, indie developers don't usually do this for various reasons; you tend to see this in large corporations.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 01:57 PM Reply

If there is such a thing in the world of programming as getting a newbie to do grunt-work to help out with menial time-consuming tasks, then it is without doubt much more uncommon than in the world of art & graphics, if only for the fact that I have never even conceived of such a scenario.

You touch on an interesting subject here of "going back to your roots". In my personal habits, there is definitely a parallel to this. Whether it be in mathematics, programming, or competitive sports, I always like to keep an eye out for new people - see if I can spot someone smart, with potential. It's always very tempting to try and create a "mini me". I'm often attracted to new people who show a lot of intelligence but maybe aren't very hard-working, or very successful for that matter. But it's not like I'll high five them and congratulate them for being lazy and inconsequential like me, instead I often like to be strict with them and try to steer them away from things that went wrong for me in my own journey. [1]

I've had several cases like this to some extent. Usually someone 1-2 years younger than me who I'd like to see becoming my self that I hoped for. In school there was a kid who I found to be pretty smart, I'd often challenge him with math problems and logic riddles and it was very satisfying. In starcraft I had two cases of players younger than I that I tried to nourish. As for having a mentor, I don't think I've ever had one and I think I could've really used one in math. At some point I felt like Gust was sort of trying to mentor me; at some points he'd give me problems to work on, and sometimes he'd teach me random math things he found cool, before I even got interested in mathematics.

I get a very strong feel that Gust is also one of these people that wants to find a younger version of himself and grow him. He was pretty infamous for being a jerk to almost everyone, surrounding himself with a select group of people that he found worthy of intellectual exchange. Or at least that's what it looked like to me. All I really know is that he made good friends with delta.

This is also the mentality I lived with most of the time, maybe because I read Ender's Game too many times as a child. Regardless, it didn't really take off for me, I never really had more than one friend at any given time in whose abilities I had high trust.

[1]So... in other words, with the strong emphasis on "steering them away from things that have gone wrong for myself" aside, this is also called .. the mentor & student relationship. This is something I see to be very common in mathematics. I suspect it is significantly less common in the general field of "programming" if not only because it's much less academic and more chaotic and free. and also more money-driven rather than driven by the pursuit for knowledge.

I annotated my own post because I couldn't figure out where to fit this last paragraph.

I think this should sum up my take on the "nurturing new talent" subject.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:00 PM Reply

Also hi Inglor ...

I'll be patiently waiting for your 2014 appearance. I have high hopes that in a few years you'll come back one time and no one will recognise you :-) hah

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 01:57 PM, Toast wrote: I've had several cases like this to some extent. Usually someone 1-2 years younger than me who I'd like to see becoming my self that I hoped for. In school there was a kid who I found to be pretty smart, I'd often challenge him with math problems and logic riddles and it was very satisfying. In starcraft I had two cases of players younger than I that I tried to nourish. As for having a mentor, I don't think I've ever had one and I think I could've really used one in math. At some point I felt like Gust was sort of trying to mentor me; at some points he'd give me problems to work on, and sometimes he'd teach me random math things he found cool, before I even got interested in mathematics.

Yeah i think thats a natural human thing, well for some people. I remember when I was younger and on NG specifically where I saw it as more of a competitive landscape in the art world, where you wanted to bottle up your 'secrets ingredients' and be competitive and alienated about stuff. As I grew older, or maybe it was newgrounds itself and its embracing of collaboration, i started to become more interested in the prospect of mentoring or atleast being around people who see the scene with fresher eyes. I dont think I ever formally took on the mentor/protege relationship but I think it just happens naturally sometimes. I've had the good fortune of being able to talk to different creative types on a wide array of levels in their professional career and its kind of rewarding to be able to give advice or even just anecdotal experiences to people pursuing the same line as work as you. I find that sort of shit INVALUABLE. There's only so much that you can learn in art school or college, and once youre done with school you really feel you're in a professional world unprepared. Or atleast I did... and its very tough to adapt to the things you have to learn that arent found in a book, which is most things.

So even if you're totally detached from Flash, or you've moved on to something totally different, i think newer users can always benefit from your experience good and bad. There's always someone out there who is as lost as you probably were at one point. It makes me feel old but its kind of cool to be in a position to share your time in the trenches.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Pretty sure I'm not seasoned enough for this discussion but I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Fjodor (Formerly Vexagon here) I think he was friends with Gust too if I remember, and even though he seldom posted here when he did it was gold, I remember actually making a thread to ask if someone could help me convert some shitty game to AS3, he met me on Skype later and told me there was no point and spent like 4 hours straight teaching me the basics of AS3 and we became friends along the way, it was a pretty great experience. After that from time to time I'd send him code and he'd delete massive chunks and tell me to find a more efficient way to do it, which ended up helping me a lot, and tbh I still look up to him even today.

As for me unto other people, I've tried helping a few people, but none of them really ever seemed to have the same drive as I did to learn so they'd just give up and say stuff was too hard or whatever. It's a drive which I think is pretty much standard for say, anybody in this thread. I've definitely seen a few people come into this forum, go the distance and actually come out the other end as great programmers which I always love to see, which I guess you could just chock up to the basic human instinct to make sure we as a species thrive (or something like that). (I think) 4ur and I were around the same level at some point and I definitely was motivated by the idea of keeping up with him but I'm still happy to see him wipe the floor with me now. And I can totally see people starting out now looking at him the same way I looked at Glaiel or whoever.

Ha, just realised I've gone totally off topic.

P.S. anyone know when that zrb forest game is coming out?

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 12:54 PM, egg82 wrote: one of the perks of an OOP language is that you can have many people working on many different things and have a fluid product at the end. I'm not going to say it's easy to do so (it still requires a lot of communication) but it is possible. However, indie developers don't usually do this for various reasons; you tend to see this in large corporations.

This is hard to do, there's a lot of overhead involved in making sure your code structure is set up properly to have multiple coders work on it, which is why you sorta need a "lead programmer" if you're doing this stuff, 2 programmers working on something might not be much more efficient than 1 (unless they have heavily different talents / specialties) since you'll spend so much time making sure you arent trampling over each others feet. If you have 1 person dedicated just to the organization stuff of it all, then you can start getting some returns there with multiple programmers on the project.

That said, I've been learning Unity, and its pretty cool how compartmentalized everything is, its super easy to just drop in scripted objects into a scene, and I could see it being fairly easy to work with another programmer on a unity project.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 05:07 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: That said, I've been learning Unity, and its pretty cool how compartmentalized everything is, its super easy to just drop in scripted objects into a scene, and I could see it being fairly easy to work with another programmer on a unity project.

I've tried to get into Unity about a billion times but I can't get over how much it reminds me of the flash IDE and dragging objects into the stage etc Like I want something to get me into it starting from a straight code perspective and moving into using its 'stage' features, 'cause I really want to use it but its just a little overwhelming. I don't know maybe this is just a problem I have, how hard to people generally find getting into it?

BBS Signature