• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 01:17:07 Reply

At 3/27/13 11:59 PM, mandog wrote: I wish I could make flash

I tried to make Flash one day. Then I realized I knew nothing about C++

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 06:45:16 Reply

I swear this thread has seen a surge in activity over the past couple months. I've resorted to lurking more though, I can't keep up with you guys.

Anyone here tried woking with SDL? I think it's maybe the first C++ framework I've managed to get my head around, the feeling of playing a native mac app written in C++ (wirelessly with my PS3 controller nonetheless) is reminiscent of the first time I used Visual C# and XNA, very simple, very out of my way. Although (I'll probably get some flak for this), I still prefer the way you handle 2D drawing to a canvas with XNA and Flash, like here's a png, let me take these pixels and put them here, why do I have to go through surfaces? For 3D I get it but not if I'm dealing with flat shit y'know? Maybe I'll come around to it eventually and feel stupid for ever thinking this way, who knows.

Here's a question though, why is it that on windows (one of the selling points of which is being the 'superior' gaming OS) it's such an unbelievable pain in the ass to get a PS3 controller working? (downright impossible in a VM) yet it took about 5 seconds to connect and use my PS3 controller over bluetooth?

nobody

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 06:58:37 Reply

At 3/28/13 06:45 AM, Innermike wrote: Anyone here tried woking with SDL? I think it's maybe the first C++ framework I've managed to get my head around, the feeling of playing a native mac app written in C++ (wirelessly with my PS3 controller nonetheless) is reminiscent of the first time I used Visual C# and XNA, very simple, very out of my way. Although (I'll probably get some flak for this), I still prefer the way you handle 2D drawing to a canvas with XNA and Flash, like here's a png, let me take these pixels and put them here, why do I have to go through surfaces? For 3D I get it but not if I'm dealing with flat shit y'know? Maybe I'll come around to it eventually and feel stupid for ever thinking this way, who knows.

As far as I know, SDL does have blitting? Look at their docs, that's the best way to find out, but from what I remember, it had the necessary utilities to do blitting etc.

To be honest, I tried to make an engine with SDL/OpenGL myself, and it was a great learning experience, and then I just took up Ogre3d :) Takes care of sooo many things for you, especially in terms of display configuration and being fully crossplatform!

P.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 16:46:49 Reply

I can't remember if its been a month since we had that 'share something you've been working on this month' thing? but we should make that a regular once a month thing. I find it motivating to wrap up things or atleast make progress

hmph.

None

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 17:04:44 Reply

At 3/28/13 04:46 PM, Luis wrote: I can't remember if its been a month since we had that 'share something you've been working on this month' thing? but we should make that a regular once a month thing. I find it motivating to wrap up things or atleast make progress

hmph.

I was planning on asking later today, but now works too.

Finishing up the last 1% of this RPG, just a few transitions, finishing music, and medals left to do. Not sure if we are going to use other sites' apis on those respective sites...it's a bit easier to just let them use local storage, but then no medals on their accounts and the writer kinda doesn't want to anyway. Then beta testing and stuff. After that, I'm gonna do a me game jam with someone I helped here who can also do art. We have the game idea already, and I made a very basic engine a while back, but mainly I don't want it to take very long which is why I'm jamming it up. Might make it a week jam depending on how much content we want to add and how lazy he ends up being.

Then the isometric RPG from like a year ago that never got finished got resurrected with a new artist and new theme. We're gonna have it so that the results of each level will somehow affect the storyline and battles later on, for main and side quests. Maybe you don't necessarily lose the game by losing a fight, but then maybe you don't get the king's reward a few missions down the line which would equal new equips for everyone. Stuff like that. Also, you will be able to choose from 3 "factions," and the battles can be played from either perspective depending on which you chose in the beginning. One playthrough you might be defending the gate to the castle, while the next you are the one trying to break in, and the next you don't even play that mission but maybe you hear about it.

I had a pic of the current rpg last time, and the small game doesn't have anything yet, so here's a rough sketch of one of the main characters for the future rpg.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 17:22:38 Reply

At 3/28/13 05:04 PM, MSGhero wrote: I had a pic of the current rpg last time, and the small game doesn't have anything yet, so here's a rough sketch of one of the main characters for the future rpg.

Youre productive.

I'm doing spec work for the tank awards page at the moment, probably the most boring part of a design project. For as much as the trophies cost to produce we wanted to expand on the nominee page being more than just a wiki article. I eventually plan to revisit the past winners page with a proper template of its own. For now, itll just spit people to the awards hub on the wiki.

Spec pages are pretty boring looking so i added a little cutaway of the actual design for some context.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

None

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 17:45:51 Reply

Shit Omar just realised you have a chance to be on A Life Well Wasted! Robert Ashley is going to be at GDC looking for stories.

nobody

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 20:12:21 Reply

A question for you pros: When you're on a solo project, with no artist, how do you make the game look un-amateurish?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 20:44:48 Reply

At 3/28/13 08:12 PM, FlyingColours wrote: A question for you pros: When you're on a solo project, with no artist, how do you make the game look un-amateurish?

Find an artist. Or find free to use images, which might suffice but won't look good together unless they're from the same artist

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-28 22:31:51 Reply

At 3/28/13 08:44 PM, MSGhero wrote: Find an artist. Or find free to use images, which might suffice but won't look good together unless they're from the same artist

yeah you can find an artist really easily, and it's better to do so. but I think most people can draw un-amateur drawings if they make the game concept abstract enough. You can also go retro with the style and people won't care how good it looks.

Not ditching pixel artists, there's some very talented ones but its pretty easy for an amateur to make something passable.
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-29 06:50:10 Reply

At 3/28/13 08:12 PM, FlyingColours wrote: A question for you pros: When you're on a solo project, with no artist, how do you make the game look un-amateurish?

Just well planned and thought out minimal programmer art. You can usually get away with it in most cases, unless you're making something with people...then I guess you need an artist.

I've had several game ideas that I think about with minimal geometric art on purpose, so that I won't need to get an artist. In fact I have an RPG idea that works with it too...

Either way, just see what works. Think of a geometric theme for it and try designing it like that.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-29 07:12:19 Reply

Thanks, guys, that was helpful.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-29 11:47:25 Reply

At 3/27/13 08:44 PM, Luis wrote:
At 3/27/13 05:50 PM, Rustygames wrote: I grew up a bit and went into the big bad world of work, which doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the fun little flash stuff I do on the side :(
You grew up quite a bit actually, i remember the ninja-chicken dayz.

:3
Sorry about that ;)

At 3/28/13 05:04 PM, MSGhero wrote: Things

Can I be part of the beta for that?

On the note of showing what we're up to; I haven't got anything new as such to show, but I am toying with going 3D for elements of my card game. I think the main card game needs it because flash's "fake" 3D kinda sucks...
I'm pretty set on going with alternativa, anyone got any thoughts on this?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-29 21:56:14 Reply

I'm still doing Youtube stuffs, because why not?
I finally got a comment on one of my videos. They basically told me i'm terrible at League of Legends.
So... I'm doing well, I think?

Other than that, i've done nothing with programming other than school work.
I feel I may have gotten a bit lazy these last few weeks.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-29 23:43:22 Reply

Couple questions
1: Has anyone used Haxe? Is it neat? is it useful?
2: do you guys make your profile pics to match the background of the forum or are you using transparency?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 00:31:39 Reply

At 3/29/13 11:43 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Couple questions
2: do you guys make your profile pics to match the background of the forum or are you using transparency?

Ask PSvils. He swears by it. I think it's neat, but I have no use for it atm

I can tell egg matched the background cuz the part of the star by mario isn't the same color as the rest of the star :P I think that's what everyone does though, no idea if prof pics can have alpha.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 00:36:42 Reply

At 3/30/13 12:31 AM, MSGhero wrote: I can tell egg matched the background cuz the part of the star by mario isn't the same color as the rest of the star :P I think that's what everyone does though, no idea if prof pics can have alpha.

it turns black if you try; there's no alpha support in any pictures with the exception of posts as far as i'm aware, and even then it's limited to pngs (I think)

also, yeah, I never got a background for the supporter star so i'm stuck with a mismatched profile pic. If anyone's got a copy, I would appreciate a share.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 01:01:28 Reply

At 3/30/13 12:31 AM, MSGhero wrote: Ask PSvils. He swears by it. I think it's neat, but I have no use for it atm

cool, I will... tomorrow

At 3/30/13 12:36 AM, egg82 wrote: also, yeah, I never got a background for the supporter star so i'm stuck with a mismatched profile pic. If anyone's got a copy, I would appreciate a share.

http://cssimg.ngfiles.com/misc/bbs-postStarSupporter.png

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 02:34:33 Reply

I'll be honest, I brought this whole thing up because you and mintPaw's profile pic hurt me right in the OCD.

just take it

cropped

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 02:50:13 Reply

HaXe is brilliant. While I've not done anything substantial it's a lot of fun to write in and when you first compile for a platform other than Flash Player, you feel like a wizard. Give it a go; if you know AS3 it's really simple to start writing in HaXe - for the first few "projects" I did, I kept this open on my other monitor.

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 03:16:32 Reply

At 3/30/13 02:34 AM, GeoKureli wrote: I'll be honest, I brought this whole thing up because you and mintPaw's profile pic hurt me right in the OCD.

But not OCD enough to notice you mucked up the background transparency of the avatar. ;)

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 03:24:27 Reply

At 3/30/13 03:16 AM, Diki wrote:
At 3/30/13 02:34 AM, GeoKureli wrote: I'll be honest, I brought this whole thing up because you and mintPaw's profile pic hurt me right in the OCD.
But not OCD enough to notice you mucked up the background transparency of the avatar. ;)

Everyone's a critic

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 09:35:13 Reply

At 3/30/13 02:50 AM, Sam wrote:
HaXe is brilliant. While I've not done anything substantial it's a lot of fun to write in and when you first compile for a platform other than Flash Player, you feel like a wizard. Give it a go; if you know AS3 it's really simple to start writing in HaXe - for the first few "projects" I did, I kept this open on my other monitor.

Oh my gosh... 'void' starts with a capital letter! I should definitely give it a try sometime.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 11:42:01 Reply

At 3/30/13 09:35 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Oh my gosh... 'void' starts with a capital letter! I should definitely give it a try sometime.

yeah, i'm thinking the reason AS3 (and Java, I believe) doesn't capitalize certain keywords is because we use them so often that it would be a massive pain in the ass to capitalize it every time. I'm totally okay with this line of thinking.

At 3/30/13 03:24 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Everyone's a critic

thank you! :D
now I just gotta fight with the system a bit. - I think it might not be accepting the new icon because cache.

Mint doesn't usually check this thread out, by the way. You'd need to actually PM him if you wanted to get ahold of him without derailing a thread.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 12:53:16 Reply

went on a learning spree today (whole bunch of random stuff, ranging from how chocolate's made to Win 7 performance boosting tips) and learned something really awesome.

http://prntscr.com/yggf2

I just halved my boot time. Thank fucking god! Boot time is by far the most annoying thing about any Windows OS. Yes, I know I can remove a bunch of startup stuff - and I did - but there's still a few things that take a bit to load that I like having start with my computer. Like, you know, my antivirus?

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 18:45:02 Reply

At 3/30/13 11:42 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 3/30/13 09:35 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Oh my gosh... 'void' starts with a capital letter! I should definitely give it a try sometime.
yeah, i'm thinking the reason AS3 (and Java, I believe) doesn't capitalize certain keywords is because we use them so often that it would be a massive pain in the ass to capitalize it every time. I'm totally okay with this line of thinking.

yeah there's a few things about Haxe I don't get. Lowercase int and void always made sense to me. C# has int which is a primitive type and it also has capital Int. I think the capital versions have object-like properties.

I like that Haxe is multiplatform, but if I want to make an .exe I'd rather use a language with method/operator overloading.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 21:41:35 Reply

When I mentioned Void, I said that because it reminded me of AS2, where 'void' is capitalised. :P

Why AS3 capitalises Number, String and Boolean but not int and uint has always been a mystery to me. Java capitalises only non-primitive data types like String. Number, String and Boolean are primitive but not capitalised in AS3.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 22:24:29 Reply

Really? I'd prefer consistency in a programming language over something as trivial as not capitalising some keywords.

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-30 23:30:40 Reply

At 3/30/13 10:24 PM, Sam wrote:
At 3/30/13 11:42 AM, egg82 wrote: yeah, i'm thinking the reason AS3 (and Java, I believe) doesn't capitalize certain keywords is because we use them so often that it would be a massive pain in the ass to capitalize it every time. I'm totally okay with this line of thinking.
Really? I'd prefer consistency in a programming language over something as trivial as not capitalising some keywords.

I have to unequivocally agree with Sam on this. Consistency is better to have than fewer keystrokes.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-03-31 03:07:58 Reply

At 3/30/13 11:30 PM, Diki wrote: I have to unequivocally agree with Sam on this. Consistency is better to have than fewer keystrokes.

I think intellisense has removed capitalization as an issue entirely. also lowercase int and void is consistent because they are primitive datatypes, which affects how the == operator will work on the datatype. I'd like Boolean to be bool in flash, and Number to be float. but I assume they left it capitalized so people could move from as2 without hassle.