New Topic Respond to this Topic
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 05:57:59 Reply

I've had my first week of working at a real company. I super duper like it, very focused the whole day, and when I leave, I only think about things I want to. Basically, there's a really solid work/free-time boundary which I really like compared to freelance.

Right now I'm mulling over on how to get livecoding working in a simple way. Some people did it, that Code Orchestra IDE, but that's not going to be free, so I think it would be interesting in figuring out a way to get it working and release an open-source variant.
(I'm just doing it for fun in the end.)

P.

TheNavigat
TheNavigat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 08:54:50 Reply

At 7/14/13 05:57 AM, PSvils wrote: I've had my first week of working at a real company. I super duper like it, very focused the whole day, and when I leave, I only think about things I want to. Basically, there's a really solid work/free-time boundary which I really like compared to freelance.

Is it okay to ask which one is it? ;)

Nav.. I'm the Nav!

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 09:50:27 Reply

egg and Diki, maybe you should start uploading to the Audio Portal.

Personally, I love it because it increases my completed projects:incomplete projects ratio.

My vocal range is really small, though, so I'll stick to the piano. :P

• Of Strange Lands and People
    Of Strange Lands and People by FlyingColours

The first scene in Kinderscenen

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Solo Instrument
    Popularity

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 12:43:17 Reply

At 7/14/13 08:54 AM, TheNavigat wrote: Is it okay to ask which one is it? ;)

It's a company that deals with video management systems. Not that it's top secret, I'd just prefer not to say the name etc. :)

In terms of music, this is what I started working on today, I'm digging the feel of it so far...
https://soundcloud.com/psvils/our-helix-within-wip
It's a mix, so it's pretty quiet. Turn it up!

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 12:58:46 Reply

Congrats on the job, PSVils.

At 7/14/13 09:50 AM, FlyingColours wrote: egg and Diki, maybe you should start uploading to the Audio Portal.

Nah. I'm not quite that good at voice acting yet, and I don't practice nearly as much as I should.

At 7/14/13 09:50 AM, FlyingColours wrote: My vocal range is really small, though, so I'll stick to the piano. :P
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/542861

This isn't bad, and also a very, very good song.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 16:40:42 Reply

I've been thinking about starting a D&D campaign with my friends ever since my whole "I AM THE DUNGEON MASTER!" statement. I've also been thinking about livestreaming the campaign, because i'm pretty sure there'd be some entertaining stuff in it. There's one friend I have the just clashes wonderfully with us and makes everyone laugh so hard they cry.
Most of all, it should be fun for everyone, which is why I wanted to do it in the first place.

Problem is, i've never been a DM before. I've played quite a few games, and I learned quite a lot about being a DM from some experienced friends and colleagues, but otherwise I have zero experience.
Hmm...
Well, i'll give it a shot. Why the hell not? :P

That is, if my friends are even up for it in the first place

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 19:15:29 Reply

I wanna create my own website. I do not really know what I want to do with it. Is iPage a good hosting site?I see right now hosting for $1 a month. Anyone have any recommendations for web host? I do not know what to name my domain name either. hmmmm. so much to think about.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 19:39:32 Reply

At 7/14/13 07:15 PM, swishcheese wrote: I wanna create my own website. I do not really know what I want to do with it. Is iPage a good hosting site?I see right now hosting for $1 a month. Anyone have any recommendations for web host? I do not know what to name my domain name either. hmmmm. so much to think about.

Wait until you actually have a plan to start investing time and money into that plan.

Get a VPS and use a DNS service. Trust me, it's cheaper in the long run and you have so much more control.
$1 sites will NOT give you what you want.

Other than that, make sure you know JavaScript (JQuery is always a good option) HTML 4 or 5, CSS3, and a server-side language such as ASP, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc. etc. Though ASP is for Windows servers, and I really don't recommend anything other than a Linux distro for a server.
Oh, and make sure you know a server query language of some sort.

That is all.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 20:26:50 Reply

At 7/14/13 07:15 PM, swishcheese wrote: Is iPage a good hosting site?I see right now hosting for $1 a month.

I've never heard of them before but I can guarantee they are terrible if they offer hosting for $1 per month. Like most things in life when it comes to server hosts you get what you pay for. If you pay next to nothing you will receive next to nothing.

If you want a good host, with knowledgable and helpful staff, that gives you 100% full control over your server you can check out betaForce's VPS selections. They host my VPS and I've had nothing but good experiences.

At 7/14/13 07:39 PM, egg82 wrote: make sure you know ... a server-side language such as ... PHP

I agree with everything you said except for that part. Throw PHP in the garbage where it belongs.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 21:09:46 Reply

At 7/14/13 08:26 PM, Diki wrote: I agree with everything you said except for that part. Throw PHP in the garbage where it belongs.

hah, I knew you'd say something like that
No brownie points for mentioning Ruby or Python, though? :(

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 21:10:15 Reply

I am so deeply in love with Ni No Kuni, this is the game Pokemon wishes it was #nothingbutthetruth

Yeah but seriously Sam do you know anymore about the hashtag thing? I'm curious

nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 21:18:04 Reply

oh, so I figured i'd put in steamworks as well as the Steam API (to GameWork) - problem is, steamworks only has C++ compiled binaries, so I guess i'll have to make a C# wrapper for it. Ah, debugging's going to be a pain in the ass.
Also thought i'd integrate the Paypal API in, as well, because microtransactions.
And finally some very basic 2D/3D stuff (primitives, mostly) to help speed things up a bit.

And, of course, physics/collisions which are done by other engines. Thanks, people who are smarter than me :D

This framework is coming along nicely, with the exception that for some reason whenever I close the thing in the debugger, I need to manually stop it afterword. Dunno if that'll affect a final product, but it's annoying as-is.
I'd say it was a thread I accidentally left open, but I commented all of them out and it still happens. I'll need to narrow it down at some point.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-14 21:19:47 Reply

At 7/14/13 09:09 PM, egg82 wrote: No brownie points for mentioning Ruby or Python, though? :(

One step forward, two steps back. :)

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 09:28:19 Reply

At 7/14/13 04:40 PM, egg82 wrote: I've been thinking about starting a D&D campaign with my friends ever since my whole "I AM THE DUNGEON MASTER!" statement.

They play D&D at my house every monday. Its one of the reasons im moving out. There's nothing but pizza boxes and garbage the next day. I've grown to hate that dumb game!

/rant

None

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 11:24:51 Reply

I'm doing some RPG prototyping and decided to start with the battle system, which I plan to use for Clock Day.

Thanks a lot, MSG, because your post-mortem was really helpful. I'm gonna follow OOP principles as meticulously as I can during the coding of the battle engine, for future's sake. ;)

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 12:11:39 Reply

At 7/15/13 11:24 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm gonna follow OOP principles as meticulously as I can during the coding of the battle engine, for future's sake. ;)

Real men use component-based design for game development. >:)

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 12:19:45 Reply

At 7/15/13 12:11 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/15/13 11:24 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm gonna follow OOP principles as meticulously as I can during the coding of the battle engine, for future's sake. ;)
Real men use component-based design for game development. >:)

Which is OOP...

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 12:40:03 Reply

At 7/15/13 12:19 PM, Rustygames wrote: Which is OOP...

I was being facetious.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 13:04:42 Reply

At 7/15/13 11:24 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm doing some RPG prototyping and decided to start with the battle system, which I plan to use for Clock Day.

Thanks a lot, MSG, because your post-mortem was really helpful. I'm gonna follow OOP principles as meticulously as I can during the coding of the battle engine, for future's sake. ;)

I'm glad my misery is of some use to you. The way I'm doing it now is that I have a couple States (battle, cutscene) and then a bunch of Managers (state, dialogue, child index, etc) and then the main engine. P helped me a bit here, basically you make the managers public then pass a reference to the engine throughout instead of using static classes. It's sooooo organized. The issue I'm having is that there's so much to add, idk what to work on =S

Clock day RPG? That could be...interesting.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 16:55:02 Reply

At 7/15/13 12:40 PM, Diki wrote:
I was being facetious.

What framework do you use for your component based design out of interest?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 17:21:55 Reply

At 7/15/13 04:55 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 7/15/13 12:40 PM, Diki wrote:
I was being facetious.
What framework do you use for your component based design out of interest?

BETTER BE USING MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-15 17:53:39 Reply

At 7/15/13 04:55 PM, Rustygames wrote: What framework do you use for your component based design out of interest?

I lost interest in game development a long time ago. Back when it was a hobby of mine (3+ years ago) I didn't know about component-based design, so off-hand I can't name any that could be effectively implemented with it.

At 7/15/13 05:21 PM, PSvils wrote: BETTER BE USING MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

"No external dependencies!" is quite the commit message. :)

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 00:53:44 Reply

At 7/15/13 09:28 AM, Luis wrote: They play D&D at my house every monday. Its one of the reasons im moving out. There's nothing but pizza boxes and garbage the next day. I've grown to hate that dumb game!

/rant

Well, I'm not one to leave pizza boxes everywhere :P
D&D doesn't leave pizza boxes everywhere, people leave pizza boxes everywhere. Don't knock the game until you've tried it, man ;)

Also, I finally snapped and punched the shit out of someone today. Honestly, I feel both sad and strangely happy about the whole thing. I mean, I'm sad that it had to come to fists, but in my opinion they deserved every once of pain they got, plus I was finally able to deflate their massive head. I dunno, it hopefully will make them a more respectful person later. At least, that's my justification for not feeling bad about giving 'em a few bruises.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 10:48:58 Reply

At 7/16/13 12:53 AM, egg82 wrote: At least, that's my justification for not feeling bad about giving 'em a few bruises.

It sounds like we both got out of it relatively unharmed aside from a small bruise or two. There was only torso contact, he was too short to hit anything else and I was careful.

Long story short, never pick a fight with someone very clearly stronger and better at fighting than you are (duh?)

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 11:35:27 Reply

Dicking around with haxe/openfl > HTML5 Canvas and I was thinking, all someone has to do is look at the resources the page is loading and they an see all your code, not that this is necessarily a problem but I imagine it could be annoying at some point? idk

Only just got around to The Last Of Us. Naughty Dog have made both of my two favorite games of the console generation, I couldn't hold them in any higher level of esteem.

nobody

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 12:58:30 Reply

At 7/16/13 11:35 AM, Innermike wrote: all someone has to do is look at the resources the page is loading and they an see all your code, not that this is necessarily a problem but I imagine it could be annoying at some point? idk

I never have and never will understand why people are afraid of someone else seeing their code. Not that I'm implying you are; just speaking in general.

Open source is a good thing. It gave us Linux, Python and Git.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 13:20:33 Reply

At 7/16/13 12:58 PM, Diki wrote: I never have and never will understand why people are afraid of someone else seeing their code. Not that I'm implying you are; just speaking in general.

I think mostly we're afraid of people criticizing our code. Notch, for example, probably wouldn't have livstreamed his development of Minecraft if he would have known a million and a half people would have poked fun at him.

Open source is a good thing. It gave us Linux, Python and Git.

Open source is always a good thing :D

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 13:35:28 Reply

At 7/16/13 01:20 PM, egg82 wrote: I think mostly we're afraid of people criticizing our code. Notch, for example, probably wouldn't have livstreamed his development of Minecraft if he would have known a million and a half people would have poked fun at him.

That should just give you more incentive to learn good coding practices. Notch apparently doesn't see it that way because he was, and still is, a laughably terrible programmer. It's unbelievable how he's a millionaire and writes worse code than high school students in under-funded computer science courses. He deserves to be laughed at.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 14:04:50 Reply

At 7/16/13 11:35 AM, Innermike wrote: Dicking around with haxe/openfl

I am as well. I love love love inlining methods and stuff. I think ASC2 had that functionality, but it's only available for the latest flashbuilder and AIR right now. There's something I found called apparat which optimizes a swf, but idk if I care that much.

Considering the getter/setter for xyz in as3isolib takes up 75% of the frame time when things move, I might care a bit
open source

For a game, I don't care about the source code so much as why certain things were done the way they were. Having the source in addition to that would make a good teaching tool. I'd also cry myself to sleep after hearing some of the criticism of my previous coding habits.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-16 14:39:49 Reply

At 7/16/13 10:48 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 7/16/13 12:53 AM, egg82 wrote: At least, that's my justification for not feeling bad about giving 'em a few bruises.

Wait what? That came out of nowhere! What happened?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com