New Topic Respond to this Topic
FantasticAxiom
FantasticAxiom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 1/12/13 09:26 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: At a glance I didn't notice anything odd or confusing. If you were a bit more specific I'm sure multiple people here would be willing and able to help make sense of it. (I'd be willing, I can't vouch for my ability though.)

I did notice one thing he absolutely shouldn't be telling people to do. Just 'finding' images online for use in your game is a great way to get sued. He really should have either made original art for the tutorial, or used royalty free art.

Though the NASA image is probably in the clear. Works made by US government employees while conducting their normal tasks are in the public domain int he US.

I understand what's going on macroscopically, but don't see why a number of things work in the language itself. I'll list what seems confusing in that example:

1. The fact that Embed and source aren't keywords in FlashDevelop, which has every single keyword imaginable
2. The fact that you're creating a variable of a certain data type and then assigning a completely different data type to it
3. The fact that the image is automatically stored in that variable without you telling it to do so
4. The fact that suddenly that variable becomes a class with variables inside it that you never specified were there
5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

Mind you, I'm used to low-level programming, so the fact that something is this easy kind of raises my suspicion.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 12:24 AM Reply

At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, FantasticAxiom wrote: 1. The fact that Embed and source aren't keywords in FlashDevelop, which has every single keyword imaginable
2. The fact that you're creating a variable of a certain data type and then assigning a completely different data type to it
3. The fact that the image is automatically stored in that variable without you telling it to do so
4. The fact that suddenly that variable becomes a class with variables inside it that you never specified were there
5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

Mind you, I'm used to low-level programming, so the fact that something is this easy kind of raises my suspicion.

Well, I have no clue how it works but
1) They aren't AS3, per se. I think they're flex
2) "MyImage" is a reference to a class, and "Bitmap" is a class. Not a bitmap; the word "Bitmap" is a class. Through magic, embed tells MyImage that it's a "Bitmap"-type class.
3) Magic
4) "Class" is an Object in AS3, so variables can hold references to classes.
5) Magic

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:01 AM Reply

At 1/12/13 09:08 PM, Innermike wrote: But seriously, I love that game, I love the fact that you can totally fuck yourself over and cut out pretty big segments of the game by killing off characters (and certain giant birds)

I just wanted to pop in and say.

Dark Souls FTW

That is all.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:05 AM Reply

At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, FantasticAxiom wrote: 5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

AS3 doesn't actually require the use of semi-colons. Admittedly, I don't know to what extent that applies because I think code without semicolons looks terrible.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 1/12/13 09:08 PM, Innermike wrote: But seriously, I love that game, I love the fact that you can totally fuck yourself over and cut out pretty big segments of the game by killing off characters (and certain giant birds) I love that you get intimately acquainted with every square foot of the map because of how many times you have to retrace your steps. And oh boy do I love having a dragon head.

Bosses are amazing too

I'm towards the end of the game now and so far the only friendly NPC I killed was Patches. He cried "why?" when I killed him, as if he doesn't know what he did.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 04:23 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I'm towards the end of the game now and so far the only friendly NPC I killed was Patches. He cried "why?" when I killed him, as if he doesn't know what he did.

Down the pit you go!

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FantasticAxiom
FantasticAxiom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 12:24 AM, MSGhero wrote: Well, I have no clue how it works but
1) They aren't AS3, per se. I think they're flex
2) "MyImage" is a reference to a class, and "Bitmap" is a class. Not a bitmap; the word "Bitmap" is a class. Through magic, embed tells MyImage that it's a "Bitmap"-type class.
3) Magic
4) "Class" is an Object in AS3, so variables can hold references to classes.
5) Magic

AS3 must be the most magical programming language out there!

Makes sense, I guess.

At 1/13/13 01:05 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: AS3 doesn't actually require the use of semi-colons. Admittedly, I don't know to what extent that applies because I think code without semicolons looks terrible.

Agreed. It's just a habit now, anyways.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 04:53 AM Reply

ok i beat dark souls.

On new game plus I rushed myself towards anor londo in 45 minutes, that was way easier than the first time.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 05:14 AM Reply

At 1/15/13 04:53 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ok i beat dark souls.

On new game plus I rushed myself towards anor londo in 45 minutes, that was way easier than the first time.

What weapons are you using?

I was having trouble with the game until I got the Black Knight Sword. Using it is basically the game's "easy mode", to the point that I found it less enjoyable than when I was struggling with every area.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 1/15/13 05:14 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 1/15/13 04:53 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ok i beat dark souls.

What weapons are you using?

I was having trouble with the game until I got the Black Knight Sword. Using it is basically the game's "easy mode", to the point that I found it less enjoyable than when I was struggling with every area.

by the end my 3 main weapons were

falchion+15
uchigatana+15
black bow of pharis+14

with 40 dex

I mostly used the falchion, except i just couldn't do the four kings with it because the sword was too short to reach them... so i went and got the uchigatana leveled up instead for that

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 06:47 PM Reply

I had trouble with the game before I learned how shield stability and poise worked, in the second half of the game I was just able to tank all the boss attacks and counter no problem by equipping the right shield for it.

Senti
Senti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 12:24 PM Reply

Hallo, friends.

Sometimes I miss you guys.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 06:13 PM Reply

I programmed in PBasic earlier today for mechatronics. I was doing the same thing years ago, I think it was my first experience programming something to do something (ie not including HTML). Good times...

It doesn't like all the semicolons I accidentally throw in
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 1/16/13 06:13 PM, MSGhero wrote: I programmed in PBasic earlier today for mechatronics. I was doing the same thing years ago, I think it was my first experience programming something to do something (ie not including HTML). Good times...

HTML isn't programming >:( It's formatting.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 02:16 AM, PSvils wrote: HTML isn't programming >:( It's formatting.

My favorite programming language is CSS.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 02:05 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: My favorite programming language is CSS.

I like MS Paint.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 10:32 PM Reply

What the fuck kind of maniac plays Dark Souls for the first time, then comes back 2 days later near the end!!??

That game took me like a fuckin month!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 10:39 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 10:32 PM, I-smel wrote: What the fuck kind of maniac plays Dark Souls for the first time, then comes back 2 days later near the end!!??

That game took me like a fuckin month!

i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, egg82 wrote: i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P

College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break

No life helps too
Sam
Sam
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 11:13 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, egg82 wrote: i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P
College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break
No life helps too

I'm running off such little sleep right now and it's taking its toll. For some reason when night rolls around I'm wide awake and motivated to do things so I just stay up.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:15 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 11:13 PM, MSGhero wrote: College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break

Honestly, for me it's just because I have school two days a week for 4 hours a day and not much homework.

No life helps too

That it does! Though I am starting to get bored of having no girlfriend and no job. I might change that at some point.

also, Sanders was right about Eclipse in Linux. It works pretty damn well! I'm trying to see if I can get an objective-c compiler working in it so I don't need to download a Mac OS for VM.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:15 PM, egg82 wrote: That it does! Though I am starting to get bored of having no girlfriend and no job. I might change that at some point.

I have Dota 2 to keep me company...*sob*

So far, the most annoying part of this game is making things take time to occur, like transitions and animations. I'll make something work, but it doesn't look fluid at all, so then I have to add a timer or tween to it. And then everything breaks, so I have to backtrack 10 steps and rewrite all that with timerevents or onUpdate/onComplete tweenlite functions.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:38 PM, MSGhero wrote: So far, the most annoying part of this game is making things take time to occur, like transitions and animations.

Ah yes, but the most rewarding part IMO, a little smoothing out goes a looong way, I just finished a cutscene editor mode in my level editor the other day, twas painful to get everything working right but SO worth it, really takes things to another level.

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:38 PM, MSGhero wrote: I have Dota 2 to keep me company...*sob*

dota 2's so good tho

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

man this lounge is full of people programming in editors and doin cool shit and stuff whatever happened to the days where people were trying to figure out how to duplicatemovieclip a vcam

Sam
Sam
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 04:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: dota 2's so good tho

No shame, DotA 2 is brilliant. On a 7 winning streak in a 5 man public.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 05:01 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: man this lounge is full of people programming in editors and doin cool shit and stuff whatever happened to the days where people were trying to figure out how to duplicatemovieclip a vcam

they all died horrible, painful deaths.

>.>

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 05:10 PM, Sam wrote: No shame, DotA 2 is brilliant. On a 7 winning streak in a 5 man public.

I guess that's the only way you EU folks can win games any more since the russian invasion. I've won every game recently that was a 5 stack. I've only played with brazilians, never a russian, and even they aren't too terrible at my current skill level. The ones I never want to play with again are all americans >.>

"This retard faglord wants us to gank mid lol, idiot"
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 05:10 PM, Sam wrote:
At 1/18/13 04:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: dota 2's so good tho
No shame, DotA 2 is brilliant. On a 7 winning streak in a 5 man public.

it gets so good when you get into the "very high" matchmaking, all the rage and trolls seem to dissapear and people are actually nice.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 11:51 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 05:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: it gets so good when you get into the "very high" matchmaking, all the rage and trolls seem to dissapear and people are actually nice.

Can't wait, though I've stopped playing the other modes except capts...I need wards on the map or I'm always paranoid. I started playing meepo on my smurf account tho, he's so fun :D