Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,665,975 Views
  • 64,016 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-26 03:14:28 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbtVeUj664

Also, the beta docs are funky right now, and they're finally updating the flash player roadmap. "Soon." Hopefully fp12 makes some interesting new things like fp11 did with stage3d.

"Integrated physics" - I doubt anything like nape but if it handles collisions effectively, no more threads about hitTestObject
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-26 04:25:48 Reply

At 6/26/13 03:14 AM, MSGhero wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbtVeUj664

Also, the beta docs are funky right now, and they're finally updating the flash player roadmap. "Soon." Hopefully fp12 makes some interesting new things like fp11 did with stage3d.
"Integrated physics" - I doubt anything like nape but if it handles collisions effectively, no more threads about hitTestObject

That was really cool, I'm glad I'm not the only person who see's how bad HTML5 is.

One thing I'm not sure about in that video though; mobile casinos. I work for an online gambling company and we use HTML5 to develop mobile games for a few reasons. First of all the app store won't allow any gambling applications and secondly I'm not sure how well it will work with loading in games on the fly within one main app.
I know competitors who do social casinos (casinos without real money) are using flash and AIR, but for real casinos I'm pretty certain everyone uses HTML5?

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :)


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

mark212
mark212
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-26 15:18:40 Reply

im building a page designer at work, one of its features is that it can generate a thumbnail of the canvas and save it to the server, i felt quite happy when i realized you cant do that in html5, another win for flash.

At 6/26/13 04:25 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 6/26/13 03:14 AM, MSGhero wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbtVeUj664

Also, the beta docs are funky right now, and they're finally updating the flash player roadmap. "Soon." Hopefully fp12 makes some interesting new things like fp11 did with stage3d.
"Integrated physics" - I doubt anything like nape but if it handles collisions effectively, no more threads about hitTestObject
That was really cool, I'm glad I'm not the only person who see's how bad HTML5 is.

One thing I'm not sure about in that video though; mobile casinos. I work for an online gambling company and we use HTML5 to develop mobile games for a few reasons. First of all the app store won't allow any gambling applications and secondly I'm not sure how well it will work with loading in games on the fly within one main app.
I know competitors who do social casinos (casinos without real money) are using flash and AIR, but for real casinos I'm pretty certain everyone uses HTML5?

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :)
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-26 19:37:52 Reply

well, it takes quite a bit to put up with my step-brother for a day.
He was raised doing whatever he wanted without consequence (his father's a bit of a softy when it comes to his kids) - so he goes around breaking the law and insulting everyone (and cussing. A lot of cussing) whenever he gets a chance.

These next two days should be fun...


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 03:54:09 Reply

At 6/26/13 03:18 PM, mark212 wrote: im building a page designer at work, one of its features is that it can generate a thumbnail of the canvas and save it to the server, i felt quite happy when i realized you cant do that in html5, another win for flash.

Actually I think that is possible using HTML5 / js but it's a heck of a lot more work than using flash to do it!

At 6/26/13 07:37 PM, egg82 wrote: well, it takes quite a bit to put up with my step-brother for a day.
He was raised doing whatever he wanted without consequence (his father's a bit of a softy when it comes to his kids) - so he goes around breaking the law and insulting everyone (and cussing. A lot of cussing) whenever he gets a chance.

These next two days should be fun...

Oh dear. Maybe you should show him some of the cool stuff you've been up to


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 10:33:31 Reply

At 6/27/13 03:54 AM, Rustygames wrote: Oh dear. Maybe you should show him some of the cool stuff you've been up to

"Hey, I made this game in which you get to clip through the floor!"


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 18:51:52 Reply

Scout CC is kinda awesome. It tells you how many memory (de)allocations are going on each frame now.

It's also scary, apparently the bitmapdata-to-nape-body process requires about 7-13k allocated objects. There's also a huge GC toward the end of the session of 107k objects (might be cuz I hit close?). I am using the debug version of nape, but still I think I have a couple thousand optimizations to do. The frame rate drops to ~45 when the hardcore physics is going on.

It's also annoying because it's picking up "Newgrounds upload controller" as I type this plus a Passat ad in my skype...

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 19:33:52 Reply

At 6/27/13 06:51 PM, MSGhero wrote: Scout CC is kinda awesome. It tells you how many memory (de)allocations are going on each frame now.

Adobe's site is always confusing when it comes to downloading things :/
On a related note, did you see their quotes on this page?

"Adobe Scout played a major role in performance optimization for the development of Farmville 2."

I'm sorry, what?


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 20:45:06 Reply

At 6/27/13 07:33 PM, egg82 wrote: Adobe's site is always confusing when it comes to downloading things :/
On a related note, did you see their quotes on this page?

"Adobe Scout played a major role in performance optimization for the development of Farmville 2."

I'm sorry, what?

You have to download the creative cloud manager, and then it has options for programs to install, trial, or buy.

I don't see that being false. Even if it's just looking at redraw regions, it's bound to tell you something that you didn't optimize well enough.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-27 22:51:00 Reply

At 6/27/13 08:45 PM, MSGhero wrote: You have to download the creative cloud manager, and then it has options for programs to install, trial, or buy.

ah, thanks. Sounds like I get to have some fun. After I fix my BSOD problem. I'm booted into Ubuntu at the moment, I really don't want to deal with it.

I don't see that being false. Even if it's just looking at redraw regions, it's bound to tell you something that you didn't optimize well enough.

Well, whenever I think "flash game" my mind doesn't automatically jump to "fast" or "optimized" - I mean, it's a high-level programming language running in a Virtual Machine built in C. There's only so fast it's going to go.
Plus, unless you're a god-awful programmer, most 2D or isometric Flash games should run fine (60 FPS and up) on any modern or even 10-year-old computer provided you aren't using crap libraries. Or are trying to code everything yourself (masochists)


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-28 22:16:06 Reply

At 6/27/13 06:51 PM, MSGhero wrote: It's also scary, apparently the bitmapdata-to-nape-body process requires about 7-13k allocated objects.

I got the maximum allocations down to 7k cuz I picked a nice monospaced font that allowed me to pre-get-all-the-vertices-of-each-letter. The issues now are that I still have to create a bunch of polygons which themselves create a bunch of things (like 99% of the 7k allocations are here) and the framerate drops from 60 to 20 when all the shattered bits (stored as Shapes) are flying around (like 75% calculating dirty regions).

If I compromised and removed rotation from the shattered pieces, I could do cacheAsBitmap on each one or just blit and probably get a ton of fps back. But it doesn't look as cool :( I might try drawing to individual Bitmaps instead of Shapes and see how that goes.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-30 17:20:40 Reply

So I drew the textfield to a bitmap and moved that, and now there's minimal time spent in the render phase. All the shapes flying and rotating around don't even impact the framerate. I didn't realize rendering text was such a big deal...a loss of 15 fps for moving ~6 textfields at once.

Anyway, what are you guys up to?

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-30 20:48:19 Reply

At 6/30/13 05:20 PM, MSGhero wrote: Anyway, what are you guys up to?

Just finished today's work.
Let's see...

I moved about four tons of rock.
I helped make lunch for seven people.
I layed a eight-foot pathway of brick and filled the cracks in and the beginning and end in with 60-ish pounds of red sand/crushed rock.
I moved about 30 pounds of mulch.
I moved a few wheelbarrows full of twigs and leaves to the back to be burned.
I cleared out about half a ton of stuff from the side of the house.

Now i'm here; that's my day. I don't believe I missed anything.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-01 01:42:29 Reply

Anyone else couldn't stand those "bonies" from warm bodies? They had one single walk cycle animation throughout the entire movie, and it was horrendously bad. Same goes for their run cycle. It's unbelievable to me that a movie as decent as warm bodies, obviously expected to become very popular, can be released with such flagrant flaws in CG (the 3D models themselves were also pretty damn bad).

I think I may have become more prone to be disgusted by things like this ever since I got some experience working in tech companies / office environments. I could almost picture the idiotic command hierarchy that would make a thing like this possible - the eventual approval of every head decision maker to release a film this way.


BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 17:40:02 Reply

I got bored, so I searched #as3 in the twittersphere to see if anything interesting is happening. First link, conditional compilation in as3 (enabling cheat codes/editors in debug mode and not even compiling those classes in release mode, NG api version vs Mochi api version, etc). Second link, steering behaviors with actual explanations which I was thinking about for a project. I need to do this more often.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 19:18:30 Reply

sooo apparently a kid got arrested for making death threats on Facebook.
(There's more to the story than that, I just condensed it)

After having read the numerous articles on it, what're your thoughts?
Personally, I don't see a reason to take him in for potentially ten years in prison. Adding "lol jk" to the end of his previous statement makes me think he's not about to grab a gun and start blasting some kinder-gardeners.
Then again, i'm pretty pacifist, so take that with a grain of salt, I suppose.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 20:29:36 Reply

At 7/2/13 05:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: I got bored, so I searched #as3 in the twittersphere to see if anything interesting is happening.

Conditional compilation? Never heard of that, but it sounds convenient! :) Who knows, this might actually give me a reason to get a Twitter account. :P

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 20:43:22 Reply

At 7/2/13 08:29 PM, FlyingColours wrote: Conditional compilation? Never heard of that, but it sounds convenient! :) Who knows, this might actually give me a reason to get a Twitter account. :P

I don't have an account, still waiting on msghero to free up (damn inactive message hero). It's one of those fancy things haxe can do, so it's surprising as3 can get it done as well.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 20:51:04 Reply

At 7/2/13 08:43 PM, MSGhero wrote: I don't have an account, still waiting on msghero to free up (damn inactive message hero). It's one of those fancy things haxe can do, so it's surprising as3 can get it done as well.

WAIT!

Your username is MESSAGE hero??? Not "Metal Gear Solid" hero except that you mixed up the letters???

MY LIFE IS A LIFE!!!

:'(

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 20:56:05 Reply

At 7/2/13 08:51 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: WAIT!

Your username is MESSAGE hero??? Not "Metal Gear Solid" hero except that you mixed up the letters???

MY LIFE IS A LIFE!!!

'(

No, message hero is the dude on twitter. I'm monosodium glutamate hero cuz hero was taken and I got hungry and wanted chinese

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-02 21:40:23 Reply

At 7/2/13 08:56 PM, MSGhero wrote: No, message hero is the dude on twitter. I'm monosodium glutamate hero cuz hero was taken and I got hungry and wanted chinese

I actually wondered about that, too.

Don't worry, my username has about the same story.
Played Runescape as a young'n, got hungry and attempted to make my first (and pretty much only) online alias as "egg" - it was taken, and "egg82" was the first option on the suggestion list. No, I am not 30/31 years old. 10 years younger, actually, which is a bit of a coincidence.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 04:13:18 Reply

At 7/2/13 08:51 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 7/2/13 08:43 PM, MSGhero wrote: I don't have an account, still waiting on msghero to free up (damn inactive message hero). It's one of those fancy things haxe can do, so it's surprising as3 can get it done as well.
WAIT!

Your username is MESSAGE hero??? Not "Metal Gear Solid" hero except that you mixed up the letters???

MY LIFE IS A LIFE!!!

'(

I thought the metal gear solid thing too.

Also you fucked up bro, your life is a lie, not a life :P


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 12:21:42 Reply

This is a repost from the collab screenshot declaration thread. Sorry for reposting but this is really urgent...

Alright, I know this is an idiotic question, but the API is not very well documented...
How do I make the play button in the Flash ad show up, and how do I listen to whatever event it triggers?
I've tried this:
var flashAd:FlashAd = new FlashAd();
flashAd.x = stage.stageWidth / 2 - flashAd.width / 2;
flashAd.y = stage.stageHeight / 2 - flashAd.height / 2;
flashAd.initPlayButton();
but it didn't quite work.
Help is greatly appreciated with the time running out. Thanks. :)

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 14:11:06 Reply

At 7/3/13 12:21 PM, FlyingColours wrote: This is a repost from the collab screenshot declaration thread. Sorry for reposting but this is really urgent...

Alright, I know this is an idiotic question, but the API is not very well documented...
How do I make the play button in the Flash ad show up, and how do I listen to whatever event it triggers?

addChild(ad.playButton), and ad.onPlayClick = handlerFunction. If the 2nd bit doesn't work, just add your own listener to it.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 16:25:30 Reply

Monthly posting time!

How have you guys changed (if at all) over the last few years with regards to your visual design sensibilities?

I stumbled across an old email that had a swf attachment, lo and behold a flash website I made when I was 14. Funny how I find it so repulsive now, but I probably thought it was some next-level eye-candy back then.


nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 16:34:28 Reply

At 7/3/13 04:25 PM, Innermike wrote: How have you guys changed (if at all) over the last few years with regards to your visual design sensibilities?

I gained taste
Dunno if it's good taste or bad taste, but hey.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-03 21:33:27 Reply

At 7/3/13 04:25 PM, Innermike wrote:
Monthly posting time!
How have you guys changed (if at all) over the last few years with regards to your visual design sensibilities?

If wearing matching outfits counts, then that. As far as games, I feel like I know what a game should look and feel like when playing it based on the theme, genre, and such.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-04 03:01:46 Reply

Spent this night watching firefly and trying to figure out this problem with rotating an array plus updating the visuals in as3isolib. After checking a dozen times, I couldn't find an issue with my logic; tracing the arrays and positions and all made perfect sense. After 3 hours of drawing arrays and what they look like rotated, I realized that the IsoGroup doesn't auto-update, and I had to call a render function to get the current visuals to show up.

Facepalm

I have the worst headache right now.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Member since: May. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-04 04:03:55 Reply

At 7/4/13 03:01 AM, MSGhero wrote: Spent this night watching firefly and trying to figure out this problem with rotating an array plus updating the visuals in as3isolib. After checking a dozen times, I couldn't find an issue with my logic; tracing the arrays and positions and all made perfect sense. After 3 hours of drawing arrays and what they look like rotated, I realized that the IsoGroup doesn't auto-update, and I had to call a render function to get the current visuals to show up.
Facepalm
I have the worst headache right now.

..i spent 2 days to figure out how to get trace() to work in flashdevelop when doing debug on android phone, and it was quite a journey, i feel like condom, wasted but fulfilled


RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-05 15:11:11 Reply

Anyone here ever try learning a language with a different alphabet/writing system? I've been listening to Japanese audio/video lessons for a couple months now and I decided to start learning how to read/write as well, aside from being super different obviously it seems better in a lot of ways and worse in some others, but I guess it balances out so it's all good.

After about three weeks I've got both 48 kana syllabaries down and I'm about 50 kanji and 50 vocab deep, but apparently as you get used to it your absorption rate increases dramatically especially since kanji you've learned already often show up as parts of other kanji and then the amount of combinations for vocabulary increases as well.

One of the interesting things I discovered was that in Japanese complex words more (often than in english) are easier to write and simple words are harder.

I know this is hardly flash related or whatever but I think this thread can always use the stimulation.

Also Rosetta Stone is fucking inexcusably terrible.

nobody