Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,942,540 Views
  • 64,542 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-30 13:23:41 Reply

At 8/30/13 01:20 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: This is possible right?

Yeah, you would just use the same file name in SharedObject.getLocal in the next game. At least for as3, idk if as2 is any different here.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-30 13:57:08 Reply

At 8/30/13 01:20 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: This is possible right?

From what I can tell in your post, you're trying to code a game using a language from '98 and an animation IDE from about the same time. Macromedia doesn't even exist anymore, I don't think.

As an answer to your question, I believe AS2 locks down shared objects to the program specifically.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-30 23:14:49 Reply

Hey guys, I'm try to make a switch to Unity, any of you guys got a good handle with it and could help me out with various small things on Skype?

But I have learned a lot about AS3, and I like making AS3 videos, as you may have seen I answered my last few forum questions in video format. I thought about making a tutorial series, but there's hundreds of those. I thought about making very specific ones, about getting out of AS2 habits and theoretical and structural AS3, but I'm not sure I have enough good ideas for that. I'd like to do a livestream answering people's questions about actionscript, but the community just isn't large enough and all in the same place. I'd like to do a video that's me just basically coding a game from start to finish and talking about it. But it'd be long who would watch that?

Either way I feel like all the AS specific things about DispalyLists, Swcs, Scout, GC, et cetera will all be lost when I get a handle on Unity. What do you guys think?


If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-31 01:02:42 Reply

At 8/30/13 11:14 PM, MintPaw wrote:

I'd like to do a livestream answering people's questions about actionscript, but the community just isn't large enough and all in the same place.

You wouldn't have nearly the views you might think. My D&D campaign got two chatters and four viewers one day, that was quite a lot!

Either way I feel like all the AS specific things about DispalyLists, Swcs, Scout, GC, et cetera will all be lost when I get a handle on Unity. What do you guys think?

Depends on the language, but for the most part yeah. I've learned that, structure aside, AS3 is quite a lot its own language.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
TheEnkian
TheEnkian
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-31 15:15:22 Reply

Last day of voice actor auditions for JUGGERNAUT II, I didn't realise just how big the VA community is. I made two or three posts here and a thread over at VAA and over 50 people sent in auditions over the six or seven week period. It's pretty amazing really how eager people are to get into voice acting for various projects. There's a really big variety out there.


Working on Enki Adventures, an action-adventure roguelike!
Enkian Games Website - For blog posts
Enkian Games Twitter For game updates
The Enkian Twitter - For personal tweets

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-31 21:15:25 Reply

goddamnit.

So I made that application (the Skype-alike) and tested it with my friends. Figured out it doesn't work for some reason. Three days of testing later, and I realized I bound the server's listener to "127.0.0.1" instead of "0.0.0.0"
all the headdesk.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-31 22:19:19 Reply

5 lines of code minus embeds to create a map and add transition points to other maps. This is too easy, something is wrong.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-01 02:05:12 Reply

At 8/31/13 10:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: 5 lines of code minus embeds to create a map and add transition points to other maps. This is too easy, something is wrong.

well, I just created a system that automatically splits (client) and then merges (server) UDP packets because limitations. Header is 10 bytes per packet.
Haven't tested it yet. What could possibly go wrong?


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
nitokov
nitokov
  • Member since: May. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 00:07:21 Reply

At 8/30/13 11:14 PM, MintPaw wrote: Hey guys, I'm try to make a switch to Unity, any of you guys got a good handle with it and could help me out with various small things on Skype?
Either way I feel like all the AS specific things about DispalyLists, Swcs, Scout, GC, et cetera will all be lost when I get a handle on Unity. What do you guys think?

Unity is easy to use. I have played around for a month or so. In just few hours (and some basic knowledge of unity) i managed to make vehicle driving over the hills and it was fun, but nothing too serious and from what i have seen its seems like as2 and flash, when you just put stuff on stage and link script to it similar to timeline code.. i see it more like drag and drop 3D game maker and didnt find it challenging enough.


RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 01:26:13 Reply

I've had my iPhone for a month now and it's great and all but there doesn't seem to really be any good games on the app store. Either games have a nice refined UI and crisp well thought out controls but are boring and lack substance or the the exact opposite. is it so much to ask for a story, layered gameplay and some decent controls? The store has been around for years and it's still like what, 78% autorunners?

The usual argument is people only play these games for like 5 minutes a day, which is bullshit, the amount of people I know that spend literally hours on their phones a day, jeez. Just don't make the gameplay real time, or if there is a real time aspect make it go in very short bursts that are connected meaningfully. Infinity Blade does that to a degree, but I think too much of the resources were spent on graphics. I would've preferred a more fleshed out game with reduced graphical fidelity, but I digress. People seem to get so caught up in the languages/frameworks/libraries/platforms when it comes to games I feel like people forget about the games themselves.
Will this change?
Is this just me?
What is the future of mobile gaming?
Will the (often rhetorical) questions ever end?


nobody

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 01:49:54 Reply

At 9/2/13 01:26 AM, Innermike wrote: Will this change?
Is this just me?
What is the future of mobile gaming?
Will the (often rhetorical) questions ever end?

That's bothered me too. I feel like it's changing at the indie level, but that only goes so far. I especially hate games like words with friends who become so popular that they make a board game of it when scrabble already exists. As long as the masses have money, it will persist.

More devs need to read gamasutra articles; I swear there's an article posted every time I'd need to read it. Lots of good post mortems and videos and articles and everything.

Also, I'm watching Anita Sarkeesian's tedx talk, and of course there's a violent ng game about her -_-

what the fuck is wrong with people?
Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 02:13:55 Reply

In terms of bad things that aren't life threatening, is there really anything worse than a TED talk?

Hint: The answer is no.

nobody

MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 03:19:08 Reply

At 9/2/13 01:26 AM, Innermike wrote: I've had my iPhone for a month now and it's great and all but there doesn't seem to really be any good games on the app store. Either games have a nice refined UI and crisp well thought out controls but are boring and lack substance or the the exact opposite. is it so much to ask for a story, layered gameplay and some decent controls? The store has been around for years and it's still like what, 78% autorunners?

The usual argument is people only play these games for like 5 minutes a day, which is bullshit, the amount of people I know that spend literally hours on their phones a day, jeez. Just don't make the gameplay real time, or if there is a real time aspect make it go in very short bursts that are connected meaningfully. Infinity Blade does that to a degree, but I think too much of the resources were spent on graphics. I would've preferred a more fleshed out game with reduced graphical fidelity, but I digress. People seem to get so caught up in the languages/frameworks/libraries/platforms when it comes to games I feel like people forget about the games themselves.
Will this change?
Is this just me?
What is the future of mobile gaming?
Will the (often rhetorical) questions ever end?

For mobile it is meant to be designed around waiting for a bus or train, or a quick trip somewhere and the kid plays it on the way for example, maybe the dev. However there are exceptions, but you could say the same thing about AAA console games and ask well i want to play a game for 10 minutes, but 5 of those are just loading up to your save point and you're barely able to kill a guy or two before those 10 minutes are up.

I dont think mobile will change too much from the way it is now, its far too much of a casual market. Maybe android consoles will fill that gap of a more meaningful game that is connected and it'll get ported over to iphone and android.

Personally I dont like where mobile gaming is headed/is at with its free 2 play model rather than purchasing outright, and it feel too flooded. The more I read about the state of the mobile market the less appealing it looks, the way I see it is the way i've been told it looks is its basically the lottery, if you get in that top 100 you'll get some big bucks. otherwise you'll just be looking at a couple hundred if you're lucky.

i like rhetorical questions
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 08:09:20 Reply

At 8/30/13 01:57 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 8/30/13 01:20 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: This is possible right?
From what I can tell in your post, you're trying to code a game using a language from '98 and an animation IDE from about the same time. Macromedia doesn't even exist anymore, I don't think.

Come on, Flash 8 was 2005, not '98. AS2 is pants compared to AS3 but then these days the cool kids are going back to js, which is far worse than AS2, so we can't be snobbish anymore ;)

As an answer to your question, I believe AS2 locks down shared objects to the program specifically.

Yeah you can't just use shared objects across games. You'll have to use some external solution such as sending the data to a web script or some sort (PHP easiest), saving the data to a DB and then reading that back in to any swf you like. To be honest I think this will be quite tricky for you and probably better off just sticking to the 1 game for now.

At 9/2/13 01:26 AM, Innermike wrote: I've had my iPhone for a month now

> Homeless
> Owns an iPhone

Priorities


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 11:18:39 Reply

At 9/2/13 08:09 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 9/2/13 01:26 AM, Innermike wrote: I've had my iPhone for a month now
> Homeless
> Owns an iPhone

Priorities

Late birthday present from my gran, I mean I could sell it and get about £150 and then not have a phone, which are things people have to use on when they're on the go... and I'm kind of perpetually on the go. In fact, I don't think the last few weeks would've been so manageable without it, maps especially, what am I going to do, find a library to print out directions every time I need to go somewhere? Take a taxi? Not to mention listening to music helps keep me sane, that alone is probably worth keeping it for haha, but seriously I mean it's not like I had enough to move into an apartment and then said "actually I would love a new 64gb iPhone 5". Maybe if I knew for sure my family was actually going to kick me out I would have asked grandma for a £200 barrel of canned tuna.

Does anyone know anything about the google charts API and/or loading html pages ajax style? For some reason I have these charts that only show up when I refresh the page, if I visit the site fresh and go to the page they don't load. http://www.innermike.com/#music \_(ツ)_/


nobody

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 11:45:07 Reply

At 9/2/13 11:18 AM, Innermike wrote:
At 9/2/13 08:09 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 9/2/13 01:26 AM, Innermike wrote: I've had my iPhone for a month now
> Homeless
> Owns an iPhone

Priorities
Phones and tuna

You're right, but iPhone 5's go on ebay used for like £500 and a brand new Nexus 3 costs £150. That's £350 worth of canned tuna you could have :D


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 12:02:39 Reply

At 9/2/13 11:45 AM, Rustygames wrote: You're right, but iPhone 5's go on ebay used for like £500 and a brand new Nexus 3 costs £150. That's £350 worth of canned tuna you could have :D

No I don't have an iPhone 5, I was trying to make a point but I guess it was lost in translation, it's a fairly used 4.


nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 12:45:57 Reply

At 9/2/13 08:09 AM, Rustygames wrote: Come on, Flash 8 was 2005, not '98. AS2 is pants compared to AS3 but then these days the cool kids are going back to js, which is far worse than AS2, so we can't be snobbish anymore ;)

Aww, but it's more fun being snobbish :P

And maybe they'll learn something? Who knows

Speaking of snobbish, I haven't seen 4ur around lately. Did he die?

I kid, I kid :P

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 13:15:59 Reply

At 9/2/13 12:45 PM, egg82 wrote: Speaking of snobbish, I haven't seen 4ur around lately. Did he die?

He's here.

Each time I get a new twitter follower, I get a bit creeped out. Like, how did this guy find me from just one hashtag that I used?

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 13:59:47 Reply

At 9/2/13 01:15 PM, MSGhero wrote: Each time I get a new twitter follower, I get a bit creeped out. Like, how did this guy find me from just one hashtag that I used?

I get a little excited. It's another person who likes my content or my opinion


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
TheEnkian
TheEnkian
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 15:02:55 Reply

At 9/2/13 01:59 PM, egg82 wrote: I get a little excited. It's another person who likes my content or my opinion

It doesn't bode well that I haven't had a follower in a while despite my constant updating...this saddens me.


Working on Enki Adventures, an action-adventure roguelike!
Enkian Games Website - For blog posts
Enkian Games Twitter For game updates
The Enkian Twitter - For personal tweets

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 15:14:32 Reply

At 9/2/13 03:02 PM, VoidForce wrote: It doesn't bode well that I haven't had a follower in a while despite my constant updating...this saddens me.

i've got all of two subscribers on my channel. Don't worry, you're probably doing well :P

My god, my application is a monster D:
The webcam capture rapidly consumes memory and never releases it again, somehow.
Somewhere along the "take the packet apart, send it, and put it back together on the other end" bit, i'm using almost all of my CPU. On top of that, encryption and compression takes for-fucking-ever (about three seconds, which is ungodly long when we're talking about streaming data) and uses what's left of my CPU.

I'm going to temporarily give up on the webcam thing and move on to something I know works, audio. Hopefully i'll be able to pinpoint spots that need optimization with that.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 15:20:52 Reply

At 9/2/13 12:02 PM, Innermike wrote:
At 9/2/13 11:45 AM, Rustygames wrote: You're right, but iPhone 5's go on ebay used for like £500 and a brand new Nexus 3 costs £150. That's £350 worth of canned tuna you could have :D
No I don't have an iPhone 5, I was trying to make a point but I guess it was lost in translation, it's a fairly used 4.

Ah kk soz. I quite fancy a Google phone thingy. My phone is smashed due to a drunk man falling on me :(

At 9/2/13 12:45 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 9/2/13 08:09 AM, Rustygames wrote: Come on, Flash 8 was 2005, not '98. AS2 is pants compared to AS3 but then these days the cool kids are going back to js, which is far worse than AS2, so we can't be snobbish anymore ;)
Aww, but it's more fun being snobbish :P
And maybe they'll learn something? Who knows

To be fair, I am on your side, why bother learning AS2 when you could be learning AS3 which is faster and easier!


Speaking of snobbish, I haven't seen 4ur around lately. Did he die?
I kid, I kid :P

This forum is basically just Eggy Mario, Metal Gear Solid Hero, Homeless Mike and occasionally that Mexican bloke shows up. Oh and of course the occasional rubbish from a silly cowboy person


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 15:47:35 Reply

At 9/2/13 03:20 PM, Rustygames wrote: This forum is basically just Eggy Mario, Metal Gear Solid Hero, Homeless Mike and occasionally that Mexican bloke shows up. Oh and of course the occasional rubbish from a silly cowboy person

Metal Solid Gear, although that's not what it actually means.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 16:23:48 Reply

At 9/2/13 03:47 PM, MSGhero wrote: Metal Solid Gear, although that's not what it actually means.

Monosodium glutamate, I think?
Flavor-enhancing acid-salt-thing added to most cheap (and even some expensive) Chinese foodstuffs.
You came up with the name when Hero was taken and you had Chinese takeout, right?

Eggy Mario, because normal Mario just wasn't enough.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 16:28:39 Reply

At 9/2/13 04:23 PM, egg82 wrote: Eggy Mario, because normal Mario just wasn't enough.

Mine's just my name :(

Eggy mario is so much better
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 16:32:52 Reply

At 9/2/13 04:23 PM, egg82 wrote: You came up with the name when Hero was taken and you had Chinese takeout, right?

I wanted takeout, never did get it :(

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 16:45:00 Reply

At 9/2/13 03:20 PM, Rustygames wrote: Ah kk soz. I quite fancy a Google phone thingy. My phone is smashed due to a drunk man falling on me :(

Windows Phone interface with Android custumization and Apples dastardly vertical integration would be a dream come true for me.

This forum is basically just Eggy Mario, Metal Gear Solid Hero, Homeless Mike and occasionally that Mexican bloke shows up. Oh and of course the occasional rubbish from a silly cowboy person

Theres a brilliant sitcom pilot somewhere there.

At 9/2/13 04:32 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 9/2/13 04:23 PM, egg82 wrote: You came up with the name when Hero was taken and you had Chinese takeout, right?
I wanted takeout, never did get it :(

A true shakespearian tragedy :'(

Anybody keeping up with Breaking Bad? Serious nailbiting is going down right now.

And did anybody actually know zrb well? His departure was very sudden, not like the slow decrease of posts that usually happens, coupled with the fact his last post was quoting me it all feels very cryptic.

fun fact: I always pronounced it zay-are-bee, to this day I have no idea why, I've never pronounced z like that before or since.

nobody

TheEnkian
TheEnkian
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 18:29:28 Reply

At 9/2/13 04:45 PM, Innermike wrote: Theres a brilliant sitcom pilot somewhere there.

I hope I get to be the recurring guest star who's jokes are all based around not knowing any coding whatsoever.


Working on Enki Adventures, an action-adventure roguelike!
Enkian Games Website - For blog posts
Enkian Games Twitter For game updates
The Enkian Twitter - For personal tweets

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-09-02 23:50:30 Reply

At 9/2/13 06:29 PM, VoidForce wrote: I hope I get to be the recurring guest star who's jokes are all based around not knowing any coding whatsoever.

"Why would you use three lists when you can simply use a dictionary with a tuple for your UDP packets?! Ahahaha.. Wait, no, that's not even remotely funny..."
I have the strangest feeling we wouldn't last longer than a pilot


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature