New Topic Respond to this Topic
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 11:16 PM Reply

Just read Tyler's post on Unity just now and suddenly it clicked with me a lot more. I too was distracted by the editor at first, but I think I am starting to understand now. I would be really interested in doing some 2D stuff, but taking advantage of 3D features. I was trying to get a sense for using the orthographic camera to do this.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 08:33 PM, Luis wrote: I feel that way about people who dont name their symbols on the art side, who shows that much disrespect for a symbol to not even give it a name. just what kind of father are you.

Pssh, who names things these days?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:46 PM, Mattster wrote:
At 2/5/13 08:33 PM, Luis wrote: I feel that way about people who dont name their symbols on the art side, who shows that much disrespect for a symbol to not even give it a name. just what kind of father are you.

youre disgusting.

None

MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:46 PM, Mattster wrote:

every time i see something like that

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 01:49 PM, Luis wrote: you're disgusting.

that was bothering me >.>

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 02:05 PM, egg82 wrote:

I was cringing just trying to making that screenshot...

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:47 PM, Mattster wrote:
At 2/6/13 02:05 PM, egg82 wrote:

I'm having horrible memories of organizing collabs back in the day

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:46 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I'm having horrible memories of organizing collabs back in the day

Ah .. I have here a beautiful testament to the horror of NG collabs :-) It was of course a parody on collabs, but we unintentionally had a symbol mixup of our own. Half the people, including myself, hadn't named their symbols, and since I submitted mine last, the collab submitter (ninja chicken?) thought it would be appropriate to just choose "copy and replace" for all symbols, turning half of other people's movieclips into my crudely drawn ninja chicken movie clip.

egg was referring to the fact that luis spelled "you're" without the the apostrophe. evidently the two have not spent much time together :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 02:06 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 01:49 AM, Toast wrote: Ah .. I have here a beautiful testament to the horror of NG collabs :-)

what did I watch? o.o

egg was referring to the fact that luis spelled "you're" without the the apostrophe. evidently the two have not spent much time together :P

I was trying to pass that off, but yeah xD
and also right, but i'm not saying I wouldn't mind getting to know everyone better. I haven't really talked to many people here, yet :P

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:35 AM Reply

optimized the fuck out of this today http://www.glaielgames.com/unity/iso/tesselate/

instead of rendering the tiles now it tessellates the geometry like this http://i.imgur.com/0vignxC.png which lets me have massive worlds rendering pretty fast

I have an idea how i can get it to have tiled textures on it too, involving a 3D texture for tile index and a 2D texture for tile graphics, will probably implement that tomorrow

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:42 AM Reply

At 2/7/13 01:49 AM, Toast wrote: Ah .. I have here a beautiful testament to the horror of NG collabs :-)

I tried to watch it on my phone, but I guess it wasn't on the swivel priority list.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 01:47 PM Reply

So have the game jams just stopped then or what?

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 01:47 PM, Innermike wrote: So have the game jams just stopped then or what?

i've actually been thinking that, myself. Since the last jam, learned OOP, (I like to think) most of AS3, a couple frameworks and engines, and have built a few libraries of my own. I'm ready to kick some ass and take some names.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 02:37 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 01:47 PM, Innermike wrote: So have the game jams just stopped then or what?

sort of.... its just tough to run them when theres not someone dedicated to moderating the jam. It was supposed to be in my realm of workload, but over time my priorities have started to revolve around web development/design rather than community initiatives. I hope once the mobile related things are wrapped up to a point where they are on cruise control i can dive back into collabz and stuff. I have the ghost busters song stuck in my head now.

None

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 03:00 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 02:37 PM, Luis wrote:
sort of.... its just tough to run them when theres not someone dedicated to moderating the jam. It was supposed to be in my realm of workload, but over time my priorities have started to revolve around web development/design rather than community initiatives. I hope once the mobile related things are wrapped up to a point where they are on cruise control i can dive back into collabz and stuff. I have the ghost busters song stuck in my head now.

If one was run where it was just a theme given and no registration and people are responsible for making their own teams and stuff, what type of extra mod work for that would there be?

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 03:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: If one was run where it was just a theme given and no registration and people are responsible for making their own teams and stuff, what type of extra mod work for that would there be?

Yeah, it could totally be a community run contest. Just as long as winners are not chosen by portal score.

Although I have to say, I really did love the jams where teams were randomly chosen. It felt a lot more official in that you only got to start getting in contact with your teammates as the 72 hours were counting down. And it was nice to step out of your comfort zone to work with people either below or above your skill level.

What does everyone else think of random of teams?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 03:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: What does everyone else think of random of teams?

sure, why not?

my biggest concern is people not participating or wanting to participate.
think getting the word out may be a problem?

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:13 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 03:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 2/7/13 03:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: If one was run where it was just a theme given and no registration and people are responsible for making their own teams and stuff, what type of extra mod work for that would there be?
Yeah, it could totally be a community run contest. Just as long as winners are not chosen by portal score.

how about just not having it as a competition with a winner? Everyone is a winner

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:13 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: how about just not having it as a competition with a winner? Everyone is a winner

that would mean fewer participants. As a programmer, you should know that time is money. You can't expect people to spend 72 hours creating something as best they can for free. They could be spending that time making something shite (compared to what they can do) and selling it later.

BBS Signature
SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:16 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 2/7/13 04:13 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: how about just not having it as a competition with a winner? Everyone is a winner
that would mean fewer participants. As a programmer, you should know that time is money. You can't expect people to spend 72 hours creating something as best they can for free. They could be spending that time making something shite (compared to what they can do) and selling it later.

If you're doing a game jam for money.. you're doing it wrong! That's not what they are about at all! potential exposure on the front page for a game jam game should be enough incentive I would've thought. I was well chuffed when my entries where on there!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:11 PM, egg82 wrote: my biggest concern is people not participating or wanting to participate.
think getting the word out may be a problem?

I don't think getting word out would be a problem. It'd be the same as every time, Tom would post about it and someone goes around spamming flash forums about it. (I used to do that :( )

Actually, that's much better. A game jam is an event, not a competition. There could just be incentives like how Ludum Dare does, "Most Innovative Game", "Best Sound", "Game with most cats in it".

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:21 PM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote: If you're doing a game jam for money.. you're doing it wrong! That's not what they are about at all! potential exposure on the front page for a game jam game should be enough incentive I would've thought. I was well chuffed when my entries where on there!

i'm not saying I am, but you have to look at things from multiple points of view when planning.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:28 PM Reply

doing a game for a competition solely for money is stupid

It was dumb when sponsor portals did it back in the day, they would pay like $5k out in prize money, and get hundreds of free games made for them from kids who didn't know that it was a terrible ripoff to spend months working on a game in the hopes of winning a prize, and getting nothing out of it, when they still make quality games that get hundreds of thousands of visitors coming to the portals site.

a jam is an event not a competition, treating it like a competition is bad, you aren't working for free cause you can still slap ads in your game or seek out a sponsorship if its good enough, and tiny jam games spread REALLY well on the internet (my 2 jam games butcherbugs and fracuum both have over a million plays, which is worth a few hundred dollars)

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 03:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: What does everyone else think of random of teams?

I already saw many positive views over the random teams although one of the reasons that austin allowed team creation by its own members is due to me and a few other participants. I remember that was in the winter game jam (2010 I guess), everyone was posting in the game jam discussion thread about how their games were going on and their progression, although the hours were passing and any team member of my group has shown up. Me and a few others complained about that and austin said that we could create our own teams. So I picked up FlashStorm as my artist, even though we haven't finished our game we became development partners, we've already done lots of tests and mini games together. I remember that Luis also joined our group (rather than his original one) to help.

What was fun about the random teams is that they had the chance to work with different people and make friends etc., which is cool. The problem is that something like the case I described might happen, choose your group ensures organization.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: doing a game for a competition solely for money is stupid

do what you want, i'm just letting you know the repercussions of your actions. In this case, there is a very high likelihood that you will be losing very good people.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:34 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 2/7/13 04:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: doing a game for a competition solely for money is stupid
do what you want, i'm just letting you know the repercussions of your actions. In this case, there is a very high likelihood that you will be losing very good people.

You mean we'd lose that guy you know, who can whip out one of the best platformer engines in 2 days, but wouldn't join anything for free?

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:37 PM, Toast wrote: You mean we'd lose that guy you know, who can whip out one of the best platformer engines in 2 days, but wouldn't join anything for free?

though he was in mind (he may or may not join, I dunno) I was actually talking about other people. He's not alone in that mindset; not by far.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 04:41 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 2/7/13 04:37 PM, Toast wrote: You mean we'd lose that guy you know, who can whip out one of the best platformer engines in 2 days, but wouldn't join anything for free?
though he was in mind (he may or may not join, I dunno) I was actually talking about other people. He's not alone in that mindset; not by far.

I think the problem is that, these people, who may be highly skilled, even if you made a monetary prize, they'd only enter to try and win that prize, so they'd never want to innovate or experiment with something new or fun, or collaborate with someone who is less skilled than them, which may cost them the prize but may forge a valuable partnership, and that's what game jams are all about.

Why would a person with that mindset join this anyway? With or without a prize? As Glaiel pointed out, they can easily spend their time working on something to sell or client work instead of working on something with the hopes that maybe they'll get paid if they win.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

In the words of Day9, "Fuck em."

Since I don't have class mon or fri, I might actually have the full 48/72 hrs to work on it for once...unless it's over a break again. If the teams are random, would there be any way to utilize the collabthing at all? Unless "random" means "people you haven't worked with before," then it'd be perfect for finding that special someone.