New Topic Respond to this Topic
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

I got COMPLETELY LOST reading that, but if it makes your pathfinding look less robotic then thhuuuuuuumbs up!

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 9/17/12 02:23 PM, PSvils wrote: my brain exploded
Hard to understand, but I can draw it up if anyone's interested.

Yeahhh, draw it up

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 9/17/12 05:10 PM, I-smel wrote: I got COMPLETELY LOST reading that, but if it makes your pathfinding look less robotic then thhuuuuuuumbs up!

:D myeah...

Well the issue isn't robotic, it's just it maybe looking like plain shit. Will draw to explain when I can...

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 08:45 PM Reply

Fuck it, I'm gonna learn how to draw and animate. And write. SAT prep stole my writer, and my artist disappears a lot. Drawing with Jazza, here I come!

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

When I first learned to animate, I used a flash tutorial called "Flash For Complete Idiots" on StickSuicide.com and it was really good.

But that was in 2003 and it DOESN'T EXIST ANY MORE!!! All the Google results are me talking about it, hahaha.

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 9/17/12 05:10 PM, I-smel wrote: I got COMPLETELY LOST reading that

That's because he's probably using techno-babble and buzzwords to cover the fact that he's having to hack through his convoluted waypoint pathfinding system instead of building an efficient representation of the walkable spaces in his world :P Either that or he built his nodes in the correctly efficient way but didn't use them right yet.

That's what I made out of his explanation of what he's planning to do. Maybe the picture he's planning to post will prove me wrong.

PSvils, I'm interested to know how you set up your scheduling though. I'm assuming you split up the pathfinding process into several runs such that you don't get any information (as in partial, incomplete paths) before you get the final complete information (the path your algorithm returns)? I haven't thought about this before, as I haven't dealt with pathfinding too much, but it might be interesting to play with the optimisation of accuracy and length of partial path to an endpoint vs algorithm complexity (running time). Might be completely devoid of merit though.

These are interesting topics, and your project sounds fun. You should post structured writings about it, and not just pop up on the forum and start describing something from the middle of your train of thought when none of us have a clue about the background of what you're talking about.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 12:45 AM, Toast wrote:
That's because he's probably using techno-babble and buzzwords to cover the fact that he's having to hack through his convoluted waypoint pathfinding system instead of building an efficient representation of the walkable spaces in his world :P Either that or he built his nodes in the correctly efficient way but didn't use them right yet.

Yea it did seem like he was fancying up words here n there, tbh.
Folk don't "displace vertices" much here on Newgrounds.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 02:13 AM, I-smel wrote:
At 9/18/12 12:45 AM, Toast wrote:
Yea it did seem like he was fancying up words here n there, tbh.
Folk don't "displace vertices" much here on Newgrounds.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to fancy words up...

I will do a structured right up, I just use words like displace rather than...move? Nevermind.

Toast: I am using a mesh, aka a representation of the walkable spaces in the world. How would you do pathfinding on that? (I figured that pathfinding still boils down to using the vertices (fine, POINTS) of the mesh (shape/area))

And I quickly wrote that after I had just solved it, so yeah, when I just write a quick blurb, it's hard to understand without background knowledge of my whole engine/whatever I'm doing at the time.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

I played around with zombie pathfinding a while ago too (2009 wow)
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d56e5640470d8a1376c209c7 6ac61018

Click to place 2 'targets' then clicking again places walls

space+click to spawn shitloads of zombies where you click

It uses something called diffusion pathfinding, where the pathfinding data is stored in the map instead of running A* every frame on each zombie. What you do is you put a "scent" on the target, then diffuse the scent throughout the map every frame (have the scent spread to nearby tiles while having the targets place more scent), the zombie pathfinding now just needs to "follow the scent" to find the player. As in, check all the tiles around him, and go to the one with the highest scent. As an added thing, the zombies themselves generate 'negative' scent, and the walls generate negative scent too (which means zombies will avoid each other, and avoid walls), so if one pathway gets flooded with zombies, they'll start filling in the other pathways too.

Its actually fairly simple, all the complicated stuff is just emergent bonuses you get from the simple system underneath

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 06:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: It uses something called diffusion pathfinding

I remember discussing that a looonnngg while ago, when I made a pathfinder and everyone copied >=(

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 06:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I played around with zombie pathfinding a while ago too (2009 wow)

Click to place 2 'targets' then clicking again places walls

space+click to spawn shitloads of zombies where you click

Spent way to much time screwing around with this. Add a title screen and you've got yourself your next Steam title.

Feels like it would work well with slow zombies considering all the zig zagging they do. Would look strange for fast zombies that tend to run in straight lines for the most part. Maybe that's just a matter of changing the negative scent values for walls and zombies? Either way, fun stuff.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 06:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I played around with zombie pathfinding a while ago too (2009 wow)

Wow that's amazing! I first looked into pathfinding a couple years ago, and it took me like a few days to actually get my head around A*. Once I did it I was like "Oh thank god, I have now worked out pathfinding." (my game Solid Sneak is what I made with it)

Then found out that that's a coding technique they came up with decades ago.

So this is cool, I totally wanna try this.

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 9/17/12 08:45 PM, MSGhero wrote: And write.

writing something somewhat-decent is actually pretty easy.
You just have to have no idea what the hell you're writing.
And use metaphors.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 07:50 PM, egg82 wrote: writing something somewhat-decent is actually pretty easy.
You just have to have no idea what the hell you're writing.
And use metaphors.

...I mean for storylines and stuff lol. I wrote enough bs in my english classes throughout high school and the uni one last year. I want to write a story I actually care about and make it good...plus like designing skills and dialogue and all the stuff my RPG is currently missing.

Writing on my userpage was kinda therapeutic actually, getting ideas off my chest instead of writing about the crap my teacher likes. My engineering graphics class is so time-consuming, though (and I don't have that much to write about) that I can't just sit down whenever I want and write.

Also, Game Jam 8. Can we use pre-existing classes or is that not fair? By pre-existing, I mean like if I made a blitting or basic physics engine, could I use that?

Not the pre-existing classes of an entire game, lol
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:01 PM, MSGhero wrote: Also, Game Jam 8. Can we use pre-existing classes or is that not fair? By pre-existing, I mean like if I made a blitting or basic

so soon? :o

i'll see what my weekend's like and if i'm up for another or not. I still remember the last one. 15 Monster energy drinks in 72 hours.
They were on sale.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 06:11 PM, 23450 wrote: Spent way to much time screwing around with this. Add a title screen and you've got yourself your next Steam title.

I actually am working on a zombie game right now, lol. I even made a backstory generator for it today
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e825b2b7dd58d59b65e0fd73 7c83518f

I won't go into too much other detail for what the same is about though

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:23 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I actually am working on a zombie game right now, lol. I even made a backstory generator for it today

"This is Jim. He is a single father with two daughters. They have a dog and a cat."
"Jim has trouble being a full time father."

I wonder why?

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:23 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I even made a backstory generator for it today

here's an idea: add ages to the generator as well.

more ideas:
add body types
add personalities

the personalities would be the most difficult, but would be brilliant if you could pull it off successfully (by that I mean integrate it into the game somehow)

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:15 PM, egg82 wrote: so soon? :o

i'll see what my weekend's like and if i'm up for another or not. I still remember the last one. 15 Monster energy drinks in 72 hours.
They were on sale.

I remember the one I did...back when I kinda knew what was I was doing. Flash decided that a variable would always go to infinity despite it working fine the previous compile (with no changes). Plus some other crap with the art. Hopefully I don't have anything going on cuz I wanna try again. Aka, I'll do hw and studying early since I will guaranteed have something going on.

And wow, dude. Caffeine makes me perform worse at everything, so I've cut it out of my diet. Plus I'm crazy when I'm tired, especially when playing video games, so maybe something interesting and creative would happen :3

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 06:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: It uses something called diffusion pathfinding, where the pathfinding data is stored in the map instead of running A* every frame on each zombie. What you do is you put a "scent" on the target, then diffuse the scent throughout the map every frame (have the scent spread to nearby tiles while having the targets place more scent), the zombie pathfinding now just needs to "follow the scent" to find the player. As in, check all the tiles around him, and go to the one with the highest scent. As an added thing, the zombies themselves generate 'negative' scent, and the walls generate negative scent too (which means zombies will avoid each other, and avoid walls), so if one pathway gets flooded with zombies, they'll start filling in the other pathways too.

Love that!

I checked that method out, and it might be something I'm up for implementing. Just my focus on this game will be a bit less zombies, but hopefully smarter zombies. More horror oriented than action.
So with A* I can find the 3 shortest paths to the player, and then check what direction the player is facing, where to send the zombie, etc. etc. (To optimize for big crowds, I can divide them into groups of 5 zombies where only 1 does the A*, and the rest follow him)
Though damn...now that I'm thinking about it, that diffusion thing is still definitely crazy useful...if I want to launch hordes at the player.

REALLY cool to hear you're working on a zombie game too! :D But now there's someone else making something similar but better than me :(

P.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 09:22 AM Reply

This comic is fucking mindblowing:

http://xkcd.com/1110/

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 12:08 AM, MSGhero wrote: I remember the one I did...back when I kinda knew what was I was doing. Flash decided that a variable would always go to infinity despite it working fine the previous compile (with no changes). Plus some other crap with the art. Hopefully I don't have anything going on cuz I wanna try again. Aka, I'll do hw and studying early since I will guaranteed have something going on.

last one I did was with AS2 and the Flash IDE, despite having just leaned AS3 and how to use FD.
I didn't expect it to be anything amazing, and the fact that we scrapped everything and changed tactics in the middle of it didn't help.

So basically I want to correct my mistakes and clear that whole mess from being the last flash i've submitted, but at the same time i'm not sure I want to do this again so soon.

And wow, dude. Caffeine makes me perform worse at everything, so I've cut it out of my diet. Plus I'm crazy when I'm tired, especially when playing video games, so maybe something interesting and creative would happen :3

usually it does. I cheated a little and took a six-hour nap and a four-hour nap, though.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:15 PM, egg82 wrote: i'll see what my weekend's like and if i'm up for another or not. I still remember the last one. 15 Monster energy drinks in 72 hours.
They were on sale.

Those things will give you kidney stones and liver damage, y'know.
Might want to cut back. :)

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 09:52 AM, Diki wrote: Those things will give you kidney stones and liver damage, y'know.
Might want to cut back. :)

so I heard. First time in a long time i've even touched an energy drink, and I haven't looked at once since, so I think i'm okay :P

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 02:22 AM, PSvils wrote: REALLY cool to hear you're working on a zombie game too! :D But now there's someone else making something similar but better than me :(

P.

Rule of thumb: There is ALWAYS someone making your game but better.

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 07:24 PM, I-smel wrote: Rule of thumb: There is ALWAYS someone making your game but better.

I like that way of thinking.
It's kinda like sneaking in a large memory buffer to your game and then removing it after it's polished. (neat little tip I picked up not too long ago)

The overall effect is the same: A game that's a hell of a lot better than you would have done otherwise.

BBS Signature
NeNe
NeNe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 07:24 PM, I-smel wrote: Rule of thumb: There is ALWAYS someone making your game but better.

Do you have time to explain that?

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 09:40 PM, NeNe wrote: Do you have time to explain that?

If you constantly think that there's someone making something better, then you're constantly pushing yourself to make something better. There's no point in making something if there's already something better out there, so either you quit or you wind up making the best game you possibly can.

It somewhat the same with putting in a memory buffer or a CPU-eater before you start making something. If you design everything to not take too much memory or CPU while that buffer is in, once you take it out it'll use almost nothing at all and be lightning-fast.

Half the battle is the mindset you put yourself in.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 09:40 PM, NeNe wrote:
Do you have time to explain that?

Not only do I have time to explain it; I have Crunchdown, Duck Sim, Robot Dinosaurs, April & Booster and Legend of JOHNNY to explain it.

If you're spending 6 months on a game, rest assured that a team of 20 people somewhere is in like their 2nd year on it.
Actually that'll be a good thread for when Newgrounds has it's game development forum: What Game Is The Better Version of Games You've Made.

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 03:03 AM, I-smel wrote: If you're spending 6 months on a game, rest assured that a team of 20 people somewhere is in like their 2nd year on it.

That's the more depressing side of that coin :P

BBS Signature