New Topic Respond to this Topic
nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-01 17:55:18 Reply

hy, i was just wondering around the iterweb and saw this article, is it possible to do this using as3 and how? http://gskinner.com/blog/archives/2012/08/reducing-file-size -for-images-with-alpha-channels.html

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-01 18:18:06 Reply

At 1/1/13 05:55 PM, nitokov wrote: hy, i was just wondering around the iterweb and saw this article, is it possible to do this using as3 and how? http://gskinner.com/blog/archives/2012/08/reducing-file-size -for-images-with-alpha-channels.html

you should probably make a separate thread for that. We just come in this thread to chill and chat.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-01 20:02:17 Reply

Finally released NFM (Network and File Manager) 1.0.0 for AIR!
took me forever to get the ASDoc util working. Had down install Java 5 for it to begin to work, and then copy the folder everywhere.

anyway, what do you think? :3?

(working on removing the AIR stuff so I can upload a regular FP one)

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-04 15:33:52 Reply

At 1/1/13 03:38 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: stuff

When the hell did you guys get an office?

nobody

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-04 19:58:06 Reply

At 1/1/13 08:02 PM, egg82 wrote: anyway, what do you think? :3?

So many packages ! Which one is your code ?

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-04 20:26:29 Reply

At 1/4/13 07:58 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: So many packages ! Which one is your code ?

oh, sorry :P
main package is org.gametack, NFM package is inside that.

i'm working on MediaManager now, and i'm getting close to finishing the AIR version. It'll handle most aspects of I/O, sound, and video.

BBS Signature
Barzona
Barzona
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-04 23:31:41 Reply

At 1/1/13 06:18 PM, egg82 wrote: you should probably make a separate thread for that. We just come in this thread to chill and chat.

Is this also the place to showcase demos of games/programs we're working on?

...Can I spill my guts about something?

Flash is so stressful for me! I have to tell you the truth, I am no coder and I never will be. I simply want to make a halfway decent game as an artistic conquest. I want to code it myself, but I'm also not all that interested in getting into the very heavy, complexities of Actionscript. After looking at some of the code people write, there really is no way I'll get to such levels. I don't have the patience.

I know that great games don't have to be complex, but I still want to try to create something relatively flashy and dynamic. However, it looks like there will be limits to what I can accomplish. My imagination will not get to be stretched in this project.

It's just so exhausting and I know I can be over-eager about it and I probably piss people off with my questions and lack of understanding of their attempts to help, but I'm just an artist, not a coder. I'll never be able to grasp it the way you guys do.

What do you think? Am I somewhere I shouldn't be?

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 02:21:57 Reply

At 1/4/13 11:31 PM, Barzona wrote: What do you think? Am I somewhere I shouldn't be?

For succeeding as a coder (or any other discipline) there are two important factors:

1. love for the work
2. talent

I say talent is important but really it isn't. You can be the worst coder in the world but if you love making videogames you will keep on trying and your love and passion for it will shine through eventually. I think the sheer amount of never ending questions from you have shown that you are dedicated to what you're doing.
Also not to discourage you but mastering the language actionscript is just about the beginning of the complexity. It is then that you can start doing interesting things with it, when you've learned the API and the syntax.
Games are complex creations and it may be too much to ask from one individual to create all the different parts of it.
I don't think anyone in here can answer your question but you, in the end.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 07:05:05 Reply

At 1/4/13 03:33 PM, Innermike wrote:
At 1/1/13 03:38 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: stuff
When the hell did you guys get an office?

I've never actually been physically inside our "office", because that's just Xelu's home.

We do like to pretend that I'm working on the right side of the desk though.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 07:16:07 Reply

At 1/5/13 07:05 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: We do like to pretend that I'm working on the right side of the desk though.

I'm super jealous of that Kaoss Pad and those speakers... :( And the fact that you have an office, even if it is just someone's house! :D

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 15:17:43 Reply

At 1/5/13 07:16 AM, PSvils wrote: I'm super jealous of that Kaoss Pad and those speakers... :( And the fact that you have an office, even if it is just someone's house! :D

Hey PSVils. I saw your name in the special thanks section of an article featured on HN lately, but I can't for the life of me remember what article it was, or what it was about. derp.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 15:40:16 Reply

At 1/5/13 03:17 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Hey PSVils. I saw your name in the special thanks section of an article featured on HN lately, but I can't for the life of me remember what article it was, or what it was about. derp.

HN? :o I don't even know what that is! :D

Meanwhile, I've been programming in C++ using Ogre3d lately...and it's been so long since I felt so lost in learning new things and code. Such a nice feeling, when something simple is hard to get through, and then when you get it going you can put on sunglasses and listen to the CSI Miami intro.
I'm making enough progress to continually feel satisfied. Anywho, all this while I should be doing freelance Flash dev :/ (boooriiiing)

P.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 18:10:17 Reply

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5F bx-LPk90#t=29s

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-05 18:31:39 Reply

At 1/5/13 06:10 PM, Rustygames wrote: I'll just leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5F bx-LPk90#t=29s

ashkinscript?

The head dude of this game posed it to Tom, and he said the graphics and game engine so far are great :) If that's not enough motivation, I don't have class Mon or Fri for the whole semester, so that's even more time to sleep--I mean work on the game!

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 11:22:55 Reply

At 12/31/12 01:48 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Hey I'm messing around with Starling. What kind of FPS are you guys seeing here?
http://morning-hollows-4656.herokuapp.com/

That starling thing looks cool, I'm glad to see someones built a bridge over the river of effort to take advantage of the new FP11 features, I'm notoriously bad at incorporating other peoples code but I think I'm going to have to go for it this time.

ALSO

I use Sublime Text with a basic AS3 build script no code hinting or completion or live syntax checking (though there is a plugin which handles all of that and more, I choose not to use it) blah blah blah. I hit cmd+b and I get a SWF file and a little pane shows me any build errors if none then my game launches in the Flash Player Debugger app. I don't have an output window to trace to or anything, I draw shit in Pixelmator and embed png tile sheets. All in all a reasonably light, setup.

Over christmas (I was on holiday with my family in Nairobi) I spilled some pepsi on my power adaptor and I could't find any stores around to get a replacement so I used my sisters laptop (my old PC) which still had a bunch of old programs I used to use, FDT, Flash CS5, Flash Builder, even Flash Develop. I tried them all out for old times sake.

I do not know how I used to code like that. Everything is so bulky and sluggish, I had constant red underlines when I was halfway through typing things, there were panes and more panes and toolbars everywhere, everything down to the font rendering oh and scrolling (which is partly a problem I have with windows in general I guess), everything was just so distracting to me, I guess it works for some people but I don't think I'll ever understand, my setup is like bliss to me but then I guess that's the same for everybody.

Hmmm, I suppose I'm not really sparking much of a discussion here, just venting.

nobody

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 13:16:40 Reply

At 1/6/13 11:22 AM, Innermike wrote: Hmmm, I suppose I'm not really sparking much of a discussion here, just venting.

I can't live without code completion. Even eclipse's janky code completion worked for me (mainly cuz methods in Java have long, stupid names). I do know what you mean by the panels though, I felt lost when doing Java homework at first. Pressing two buttons instead of command line compiling is also nice :D

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 14:13:39 Reply

At 1/6/13 11:22 AM, Innermike wrote: Hmmm, I suppose I'm not really sparking much of a discussion here, just venting.

Oh yeah I like sublime text. For flash development I really like FlashBuilder, though. A lot of it is probably habit, but I do like a lot of the features. For JS/HTML/CSS/Ruby/Rails I use Sublime Text. It's a great tool. I have talked to people who like to use VIM for everything. Not sure if trolling, or they just say that because they think it makes them look 1337 or something. Honestly it seems inefficient, but maybe I don't understand enough about VIM to know its true power. I guess one big advantage is being able to use it via SSH.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 17:26:22 Reply

At 1/6/13 11:22 AM, Innermike wrote:
At 12/31/12 01:48 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Hey I'm messing around with Starling. What kind of FPS are you guys seeing here?
http://morning-hollows-4656.herokuapp.com/
That starling thing looks cool, I'm glad to see someones built a bridge over the river of effort to take advantage of the new FP11 features, I'm notoriously bad at incorporating other peoples code but I think I'm going to have to go for it this time.

Oh boy I've already given up on that, I don't know why I thought I'd suddenly be better at using libraries, like I don't mind the odd file for something useful, like an FPS meter or something but I can't build my game around a whole bunch of code that might as well be invisible to me oh well...

ANYWAY

I was hoping to use it to stop this stupid problem I have, the game I'm currently working on seems to have code that has the absolute shit optimised out of it, It's super minimal, bitwise operators, prioritised conditions, processing only relevant area of level, straight up copyPixels from one BitmapData tile sheet, there seems to be such an unbelievably small room for error and yet if I tap left and right really quickly the game drops to like 50 fps like WTFMAN if you move around normally or just stand, no matter how much is going on onscreen it doesn't lag, but if you tap left and right really quickly it drops, I am absolutely stumped. And here's the real kicker, I turned off the rendering and it still happened, howsabout that huh?

Over time I've rewritten parts of the code bit by bit optimising it more and more but this one little thing is still there, WHY? It's not a major problem, and if you play through normally it pretty much doesn't drop a frame, but this is downright embarrassing.

Yeah so I guess I'm just going to turn this thread into my personal bitching thread.

nobody

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 17:51:29 Reply

At 1/6/13 05:26 PM, Innermike wrote: Yeah so I guess I'm just going to turn this thread into my personal bitching thread.

Sounds like a really weird/interesting problem. Did you rewrite it entirely using Starling before realising the same thing was happening, or just use its input methods? By the way you've described it, it seems like the only thing that could cause lag is the way input is handled. Have you stripped it all down and implemented things one at a time regarding your input code?

I'm not the best at using libraries either. I tend feel a little bit like a cheater or shortcut taker and I feel like libraries such as Flixel and FlashPunk take a lot of the fun out of programming a game. While I know I don't have to use all of the code supplied by the library (such as a camera system or something), it's almost a case of: "I've used most of the engine so why not just use this as well".

I've got back to using haXe after a massive break, I'm back at uni tomorrow and it's taken me the entire Christmas period to get back into the swing of programming for fun :(

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 17:59:26 Reply

At 1/6/13 05:51 PM, Sam wrote: I feel like libraries such as Flixel and FlashPunk take a lot of the fun out of programming a game.

I feel the same way about those two, but then something like as3isolib is perfectly fine for me. I guess it's because it doesn't replace having to code core stuff like physics or graphics (not having to code z-sorting is also nice). I remember using The Game Factory 2 when I first started programming, and there was a drag'n'drop function for shooting a bullet. That's no fun...

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-06 22:36:47 Reply

Does anyone know of a good AS3 tutorial series on youtube that uses FlashDevelop? A lot of what I find on the subject is either in the Flash IDE itself or a jumble of random tips. I know C++, so I can afford to skip a lot of the basics but there's some things about AS3 that confound me (IE the fact that the game loop seems to be built into the language already, why I keep hearing that I can't manage memory, etc...)

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-07 09:43:23 Reply

At 1/6/13 10:36 PM, WizMystery wrote: Does anyone know of a good AS3 tutorial series on youtube that uses FlashDevelop? A lot of what I find on the subject is either in the Flash IDE itself or a jumble of random tips. I know C++, so I can afford to skip a lot of the basics but there's some things about AS3 that confound me (IE the fact that the game loop seems to be built into the language already, why I keep hearing that I can't manage memory, etc...)

To work in FlashDevelop isn't really so different at all from the IDE, despite that FD is a better software for programming flash. I would recommend this tutorial: http://chrismweb.com/2011/01/26/creating-an-asteroids-game-p art-1-setting-up-flashdevelop-and-planning/

Some users like egg82 also develop some tutorials for FD, you should check out.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-07 14:56:26 Reply

VISUAL STUDIO 2012, BURN IT WITH FIRE, BURN IT WITH FIRE AAHHHHHH.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-07 15:40:19 Reply

At 1/7/13 02:56 PM, PSvils wrote: VISUAL STUDIO 2012, BURN IT WITH FIRE, BURN IT WITH FIRE AAHHHHHH.

Retweeted by Mike Appleby

Also, to Sam (page change cba to go back for quote) I had never even considered it was an input problem but now that you mention it that makes perfect sense. Sure enough I ran a test with the velocity set to oscillate left and right quickly, NO LAG!
Sam.coolPoints++;
But now that I know the problem I don't really know how to fix it, how the hell does one optimise keystrokes?

nobody

tomdeaap
tomdeaap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 11:57:50 Reply

Heya folks. Some time ago I was quite an active flash game programmer, but I stopped about a year ago I guess. I was wondering, if I were to make a comeback in browersgame development, what programs do you guys use nowadays? Should I just get back to flash with as3 + flashdevelop, or has the game drastically changed?
Hope you guys can help out a bit.

"Insert deep, brain twisting sentence here"

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 12:05:17 Reply

At 1/8/13 11:57 AM, tomdeaap wrote: Heya folks. Some time ago I was quite an active flash game programmer, but I stopped about a year ago I guess. I was wondering, if I were to make a comeback in browersgame development, what programs do you guys use nowadays? Should I just get back to flash with as3 + flashdevelop, or has the game drastically changed?

Most of us use FlashDevelop/FlashBuilder/FDT. Mike uses Sublime Text (matter of preference). AS3 for sure.

tomdeaap
tomdeaap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 12:13:34 Reply

At 1/8/13 12:05 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/8/13 11:57 AM, tomdeaap wrote: Heya folks. Some time ago I was quite an active flash game programmer, but I stopped about a year ago I guess. I was wondering, if I were to make a comeback in browersgame development, what programs do you guys use nowadays? Should I just get back to flash with as3 + flashdevelop, or has the game drastically changed?
Most of us use FlashDevelop/FlashBuilder/FDT. Mike uses Sublime Text (matter of preference). AS3 for sure.

I've always used the actual flash program to manage the art 'n stuff, but I've always kind-off hated it. Is there a way to not use it? I recall exporting an extra file with the swf (forgot the name, swc maybe? artist does this) and you can load this in flashdevelop.

"Insert deep, brain twisting sentence here"

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 12:22:21 Reply

At 1/8/13 12:13 PM, tomdeaap wrote: I've always used the actual flash program to manage the art 'n stuff, but I've always kind-off hated it. Is there a way to not use it? I recall exporting an extra file with the swf (forgot the name, swc maybe? artist does this) and you can load this in flashdevelop.

Yeah, just export your fla as a swc, add that to FD's library, and you're set. You can also go the spritesheet route to avoid Flash Pro completely (my artist is using MSPaint). Look up "blitting" if you're interested in that, it's basically copying images from the spritesheet and pasting them onto the stage to simulate animation.

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 14:55:51 Reply

At 1/7/13 09:43 AM, Spysociety wrote: ...
Some users like egg82 also develop some tutorials for FD, you should check out.

Alright, I'll take a look at both.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-08 19:25:52 Reply

I love it when the writer doesn't only check his pms/emails once a day since I have a question about how an if statement should resolve about 5 times a day.

My new semester...holy crap! I'm taking the minimum number of hours while still being full time, and I'm gonna be busier than last year when I had an extra class. My advisor told me this one class is where people decide to leave ME because it's so much work. Tomorrow, I get to disassemble an electric toothbrush and write a 4 page report on it. Thankfully, it's a group effort each week, but still. Then I have fluid dynamics, where they expect me to have taken def bods and thermo, def bods, and thermo. Plus research, which I'm getting paid for (yay!).