Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-26 16:00:17 Reply

At 10/26/12 03:49 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 10/25/12 11:27 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: On a separate note, lots of goats and cows are going to be slaughtered today. That is all.
new game of yours?

I think he's talking about the Hajj, a muslim thing that a lot of them participate in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadj

"Centralized butchers sacrifice a single sheep for each pilgrim, or a cow can represent the sacrifice of seven people. The meat is then packaged and given to charity and shipped to poor people around the world."

Where I live it is illegal to butcher animals without 'drugging' them so they suffer less, however for religious purposes they've made an exception (which later got abused by companies that don't want to pay for these extra measurements for the animals and simply proclaim they butcher according to some religious standart).

I find it fascinating how so many people can stagnate so much and adhere to a set of rules created by a few greybeards from before the dark ages, but hey we're all free to do what we want.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 04:04:54 Reply

At 10/26/12 04:00 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: I think he's talking about the Hajj, a muslim thing that a lot of them participate in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadj

Yeah, even the ones who aren't on pilgrimage are required to butcher something and give like a third to charity.

I find it fascinating how so many people can stagnate so much and adhere to a set of rules created by a few greybeards from before the dark ages, but hey we're all free to do what we want.

It sounds less crazy when you think of it more as adhering to a lifestyle put forth by an all-knowing omnipotent God, but let's not argue religion.

Udacity just put up a bunch of new courses, including an HTML5 game programming course, an introduction to 3D rendering and an introduction to parallel programming. A lot of this stuff is SUPER interesting and it feels like I NEED to know this stuff. So many courses, so little time!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 04:09:04 Reply

At 10/19/12 10:45 AM, Innermike wrote: After a while though I hit a roof where my math ability really wasn't up to the caliber I needed it to be, so I paused all the actual programming and focused on my A-Level Maths and Further Maths (though I don't go in for classes anymore, I've been expelled twice now and my therapist recommends it since I have 'a problem with authority')

So wait, does that mean you're still taking Further Maths or not? Cuz I was looking forward to asking how your experience with that was. Because due to the tiny amount of people that take it, Further Maths around here is seen as this impossibly difficult holy subject that is reserved only for math deities.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 05:36:43 Reply

At 10/27/12 04:04 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Udacity just put up a bunch of new courses, including an HTML5 game programming course, an introduction to 3D rendering and an introduction to parallel programming. A lot of this stuff is SUPER interesting and it feels like I NEED to know this stuff. So many courses, so little time!

That sounds really interesting, although I wonder how these certificates from this site are looked upon by potential employers. But as a self development tool I think it's really interesting.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 06:04:11 Reply

At 10/27/12 05:36 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: That sounds really interesting, although I wonder how these certificates from this site are looked upon by potential employers. But as a self development tool I think it's really interesting.

I remember there was a discussion about that a while ago on the Udacity forums as well as a bunch of articles.

Basically the certificates themselves don't hold a lot of weight due to there being no way to confirm that you were the one who took the test or that you didn't cheat or whatever, but the things you do with what you learn matter a lot. Like people the finished certain courses made simulations or some demo products with what they learned that looked really impressive. And Sebastian Thrun, one of the original creators of Udacity eventually sent out the CV's of those guys along with what they did to some big companies like Google, recommending them.

They also said they're trying to change the way higher education works. A popular idea is that you could learn all the materials at your own pace, and at the end you pay a small fee to go physically take a test at an accredited university and there you go, you get an accredited certificate.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 08:20:15 Reply

At 10/27/12 06:04 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: They also said they're trying to change the way higher education works. A popular idea is that you could learn all the materials at your own pace, and at the end you pay a small fee to go physically take a test at an accredited university and there you go, you get an accredited certificate.

"learning at your own pace" is what the Job Corps here in the U.S. do. It's a really nice, simple idea in theory, but it turns out to get really complex because you have people who take advantage of the system, people who don't care to be there in the first place, and people who find out that that's not what they want later on.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-27 11:55:04 Reply

At 10/27/12 04:09 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 10/19/12 10:45 AM, Innermike wrote: After a while though I hit a roof where my math ability really wasn't up to the caliber I needed it to be, so I paused all the actual programming and focused on my A-Level Maths and Further Maths (though I don't go in for classes anymore, I've been expelled twice now and my therapist recommends it since I have 'a problem with authority')
So wait, does that mean you're still taking Further Maths or not? Cuz I was looking forward to asking how your experience with that was. Because due to the tiny amount of people that take it, Further Maths around here is seen as this impossibly difficult holy subject that is reserved only for math deities.

I just don't go in to school for actual classes, I study the modules at home, maybe go in for the occasional performance check/test then I go in for the actual exams in January/June. Further Maths A-Level is just double the modules, out of the 18 possible ones, a regular 2 year math student will do 6, I will do 12, and some people do additional further maths too, which is the full 18. The only compulsory modules for Fmaths are FP1(first year) and FP2(second year) the other 4 are up to you.
The 7 I'm doing for Fmaths are: FP1,FP2,M1,M2,M3,D1,D2 (I'm doing D2 as an extra because I still get extra points for it and I want to cover the algorithm stuffs)

nobody

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-29 06:49:05 Reply

Hey guys!

Well, I githubbed my lighting engine, you can check out the source here:
https://github.com/PDeveloper/hxDynaLight

There's also a .swc for download for as3 peeps, but the actual lib is written in Haxe!
For usage, check out the wiki, though that isn't exactly in-depth. Better just check out Main.hx (even as3 users, since the usage is the same!)

Try setting it up, and let me know if any errors pop up. I also commented the code, at least the important parts, so you can try understanding what's going on by going through the source (again, as3 users should be able to understand what's going on).

I can do a write up of the math if anyone wants.

Enjoi!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-29 14:48:09 Reply

This is the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen:

https://flutterapp.com/

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-29 14:55:46 Reply

At 10/29/12 02:48 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: This is the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen:

Just had a look at this from the Concerned Joe twitter post. Looks badass.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-29 15:01:48 Reply

At 10/29/12 02:48 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: This is the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen:

I don't want programs all up in my webcam :S

I have a tentative schedule for classes next semester, and I won't have class on Mon or Fri! I could also avoid Wed, but then I'd be in class from 8-5 on Thurs. Sadly, my advisor said one of those classes is hell and that I should take the minimum number of hours. I'm also trying to find research, but the profs haven't emailed me back after asking if I've taken certain classes...

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-29 21:34:17 Reply

At 10/29/12 06:49 AM, PSvils wrote: Hey guys!

This looks cool. Personally, I always end up getting people to pay more attention when I post a demo and a simple explanation in the README.md of how the API works, maybe a simple example as well. :)

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-30 03:52:06 Reply

At 10/29/12 09:34 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 10/29/12 06:49 AM, PSvils wrote: Hey guys!

This looks cool. Personally, I always end up getting people to pay more attention when I post a demo and a simple explanation in the README.md of how the API works, maybe a simple example as well. :)

It's all in the Wiki! :) But I guess I'll copy over the stuff to the read me then, eventually.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-30 04:42:34 Reply

Well after a weekend of work my bot is done, funny how I only work a lot when there's something pressuring me. I find that 2 things affect my amount of work the most:

1. Pressure to finish. The bot has to be done in 1 day, better get on it.
2. Something more important. I have an exam the next day (its easy anyway but still.. more important).

I guess working on the bot kept my mind of the exam, which is in the end less stressful.
So the bot itself got.. complicated. I was first just thinking and thinking about it for days, not writing any code. I'm ashamed to say I even had to fresh up my Vector Math to do basic stuff like point-line distance between the perpendicular line from the bot I was shooting at (first took my resort in Y=aX + b but we all know how that goes with dividing by zero). In my mind there was this unbeatable perfect robot but the result... meh.
In the end I mashed SimpleAvoider (the runner bot) and PatternPizza (the shooter lol) prototypes together to create my bot. Most of its parameters are wild guesses and unsophisticated.. and there still is a weird aiming bug somewhere in there, but ah well that's how things go it's only my first battle AI anyway.

Well I'm hoping you guys also made something, I've read some disappointing messages just today here. To get you in the mood here's my bot vs 3 ExampleBots.

Example bots just attack the first bot in the list, weirdly enough when I put my own but 2nd in the list (meaning that the exampleBots will first kill one of their own before targeting my bot) my bot is first to die.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-30 12:39:25 Reply

At 10/30/12 04:42 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: Example bots just attack the first bot in the list, weirdly enough when I put my own but 2nd in the list (meaning that the exampleBots will first kill one of their own before targeting my bot) my bot is first to die.

ExampleBots pick on mine and kill it fast :(

I have the same problem, I'll start working on things long after they were assigned but just before they're due.

At the last minute, I added a few lines to place mines, but that's caused more problems mainly because I never accounted for the stage boundaries. It'll place a mine then get trapped in a corner because avoiding mines is priority over everything except healing. I didn't get crazy with any velocity prediction. But my bot has rambo mode. And it's a ninja.

But yeah, those stage boundaries messed everything up >=(
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-30 16:39:50 Reply

Speaking of Luis' tennis game, I roughed out a tennis RPG a couple weeks ago. You can see me asking on his news post if he's gonna have crazy fireball swings n shit.

I'm not gonna make it, I'm doing too much other stuff.
Speaking of which, everybody follow my fake twitter. It's 100% true fact-checked facts about videogames.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-30 17:49:55 Reply

At 10/30/12 04:39 PM, I-smel wrote: Speaking of Luis' tennis game, I roughed out a tennis RPG a couple weeks ago. You can see me asking on his news post if he's gonna have crazy fireball swings n shit.

You need to make this, looks absolutely brilliant.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-31 22:22:40 Reply

My experiences on Newgrounds have been immensely helpful for writing college app essays. Has anyone else found the same thing to be true?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-31 22:26:04 Reply

At 10/31/12 10:22 PM, Archawn wrote: My experiences on Newgrounds have been immensely helpful for writing college app essays. Has anyone else found the same thing to be true?

as long as you don't get your experience from the General Forum, yeah xD

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-01 00:38:24 Reply

At 10/31/12 10:22 PM, Archawn wrote: My experiences on Newgrounds have been immensely helpful for writing college app essays. Has anyone else found the same thing to be true?

I got into college before I joined =S

At my high school, we were required to do 100 volunteer hours of service somewhere, and I did some tutoring during the summer at school but before the 100 hours req started. And I liked it so I did it again. Having 200 hours of tutoring on a resume looks pretty damn good. Literally EVERY person I talked to at our college fair brought it up.

And I found some research to do next semester (for credit and pay :D). He liked my CS minor, so I'm prolly gonna start with some 3D modeling and simulations. Not sure how OOP fits into that, but still cool.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-01 17:08:44 Reply

"Dear Prestigious University, my dream is to go to your university for college, because lol your library is shaped like a cock."

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-02 19:00:16 Reply

YOU JELLY?

www.4urentertainment.org/storage/Jelly.html

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-02 19:03:41 Reply

At 11/2/12 07:00 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: YOU JELLY?

www.4urentertainment.org/storage/Jelly.html

use NAPE, problem solved.
(good job, though O.o)

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-02 21:55:41 Reply

I am mad jelly of this jelly.

Can't really think of a good gameplay use for it though, mostly just "put it on characters to make them look gross".

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-03 00:32:48 Reply

At 11/2/12 09:55 PM, I-smel wrote: I am mad jelly of this jelly.

Can't really think of a good gameplay use for it though, mostly just "put it on characters to make them look gross".

I'd put that jelly on bread with peanut butter to make a sandwich

Or should I say Toast?
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-03 01:22:54 Reply

At 11/3/12 12:32 AM, MSGhero wrote:
Or should I say Toast?

PB&J... Toast? That sounds a little weird.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-03 01:50:10 Reply

My next blog post on Newgrounds is #100 and I've bin waiting for some cool milestone to happen so I can write about it, but for the passed couple months it's kinda just bin business as usual.

I wanna plug my twitter but THAT CAN'T BE NUMBER ONE HUNDRED BY ITSELF!! :I

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-03 07:31:36 Reply

Now that you're all thoroughly impressed, it's time to confess.

http://www.4urentertainment.org/storage/ExposedJelly.html

I just used box2d and applied a force on every segment perpendicular to its angle so they're all always pushing outwards.

It's also not very stable. I also wanted it so that jellies could merge together if they were pushed onto each other.

I wanted to do this in Joe, so I decided to prototype it in flash before implementing it in the engine, then I realized that was silly because people prototype their stuff in something like Lua, which I'm using for the engine, before doing it in C++. The flash version ended up taking longer due to there being weird behavior in box2d.

As for game ideas, come on, it's jelly, LOOK AT HOW MUCH FUN IT IS.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-03 18:49:57 Reply

Well you've certainly implemented it in a convincing way, I think in the end the users of your game care more about how it looks than they care about the exact implementation. Of course you don't want your implementation to be taxing too much on the CPU.

As for actionscript silly for prototyping? Man in actionscript you can make something visual and interactive like you never can in most other languages. Just displaying an animation would require complex spritesheet crap in C++. Prototyping is about finding out if something works with crappy throw-away code and if you can do it faster in actionscript you should.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-11-04 01:53:42 Reply

At 11/3/12 07:31 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: It's also not very stable. I also wanted it so that jellies could merge together if they were pushed onto each other.

why aren't you able to do so?

BBS Signature