MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-02 02:41:46 Reply

At 6/2/13 02:26 AM, nitokov wrote: I thought that once you put it up for game shop that fgl testers check it and give some feedback before you approve it for selling

Oh that one, it got 7/Good across the board.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-02 03:47:19 Reply

At 6/2/13 02:41 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/2/13 02:26 AM, nitokov wrote: I thought that once you put it up for game shop that fgl testers check it and give some feedback before you approve it for selling
Oh that one, it got 7/Good across the board.

thats like "we dont whant to tell you that game suck" rating, i got 7 for my shitty game sumbarine alpha.. so i guess you need more than 8 to get serious offer

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-02 16:54:13 Reply

At 6/2/13 03:47 AM, nitokov wrote: thats like "we dont whant to tell you that game suck" rating, i got 7 for my shitty game sumbarine alpha.. so i guess you need more than 8 to get serious offer

The filesize scared people away as well, considering it doesn't load within 10 seconds on the average internet speed.

Question: I'm making a game where you have to jump to the top, similar to jump quests in MapleStory if you've ever wasted a large portion of your life playing that. The catch is that one of the platforms doesn't actually exist, and there are hints telling you whether the left or right side is the incomplete one, and there will be a timed mode to make it interesting.

Right now, the physics and level design are working nicely, but I'm getting to the point where I want to add everything. Namely, spikes that kill you, things that fly back and forth and kill you, powerups, etc. Should I add these things or just leave it as is? I feel like powerups don't fit in at all, while the other things could I guess. But I don't want to spend forever adding more things in if it's good enough as is. But I don't want it to get boring.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-02 23:20:24 Reply

At 6/2/13 04:54 PM, MSGhero wrote: Right now, the physics and level design are working nicely, but I'm getting to the point where I want to add everything. Namely, spikes that kill you, things that fly back and forth and kill you, powerups, etc. Should I add these things or just leave it as is?

That depends. If it's something similar to Icy Tower, adding those things will just confuse and frustrate players. You could, however, add those in as a, say, "hardcore mode", if you have enough time.
(If it's not obvious I've not played MapleStory)

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 06:16:57 Reply

You know what i do when i get stuck with coding?
I make paper plane and throw it through window :D its fun fun fun

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 08:40:46 Reply

Unity is weird, it seems like every unity tutorial I can find is just:

Step 1 - Download this 10gb asset pack
Step 2 - drag this onto this.
Congratulations you just made Halo.

I guess I can't really complain...

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 09:03:55 Reply

At 6/3/13 08:40 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Unity is weird, it seems like every unity tutorial I can find is just:

My roomate Shawn (Afro-Ninja) was messing with it and i poked around seeing what he was up to. He seemed to be enjoying using the box 2d engine to make a little 2d platformer in unity. Seemed promising. I'm no programmer but it always seemed like making 2d things in unity was a little bit harder than one would think.

None

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 10:38:32 Reply

At 6/3/13 08:40 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Unity is weird, it seems like every unity tutorial I can find is just:

I kinda agree with that, for me its something like creating with as2, code on timeline and that stuff, little messy but very easy and result is fantastic. only there is no dynamic shadow in free version :(

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 13:39:46 Reply

At 6/3/13 09:03 AM, Luis wrote:
My roomate Shawn (Afro-Ninja) was messing with it and i poked around seeing what he was up to. He seemed to be enjoying using the box 2d engine to make a little 2d platformer in unity. Seemed promising. I'm no programmer but it always seemed like making 2d things in unity was a little bit harder than one would think.

This blows my mind for 2 reasons, I didn't know you could use box2d in unity without making Unity's built-in niceties useless, and I didn't know you were/are roommates with Afro-Ninja

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 14:57:43 Reply

At 6/3/13 01:39 PM, GeoKureli wrote: This blows my mind for 2 reasons, I didn't know you could use box2d in unity without making Unity's built-in niceties useless, and I didn't know you were/are roommates with Afro-Ninja

I dont know much about it. You can track some of his progress with it on his twitter i think. I'd never seen unity development before, i like how theres all the different windows and stuff showing the stage and then the workspace etc. I always envisioned you guys as just looking at a wall of text and numbers all day. <3

None

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 15:19:54 Reply

At 6/3/13 02:57 PM, Luis wrote: I dont know much about it. You can track some of his progress with it on his twitter i think. I'd never seen unity development before, i like how theres all the different windows and stuff showing the stage and then the workspace etc. I always envisioned you guys as just looking at a wall of text and numbers all day. <3

The green squares, aka programmer art, break the monotony of text and numbers.

So P got me into haXe. Immediately after using NME once, he tells me openfl is going to take it over and I should use that. But flashdev won't run it without me recompiling the source, so....I'll put that project on the back burner for now. It seems cool using opengl and stuff, but it's way over my head in these early stages.

Game of Thrones. What the fuck that's the last thing I wanted to see after 2 weeks of waiting.
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 15:32:12 Reply

Speaking of haxe, I heard it has operator overloading now and a but of crazy new features.

Discuss.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 15:52:27 Reply

At 6/3/13 03:32 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Speaking of haxe, I heard it has operator overloading now and a but of crazy new features.

Discuss.

http://haxe.org/manual/haxe3/features
The only reason I even bothered is because I wanted to use generics with an object pool class, but yeah lots of features. The array comprehension bit looks fantastic, the rest I have no idea what that means.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-03 16:32:52 Reply

At 6/3/13 03:52 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/3/13 03:32 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Speaking of haxe, I heard it has operator overloading now and a but of crazy new features.

Discuss.
http://haxe.org/manual/haxe3/features
The only reason I even bothered is because I wanted to use generics with an object pool class, but yeah lots of features. The array comprehension bit looks fantastic, the rest I have no idea what that means.

it all seems kinda iffy to me, array comprehension looks a hacky shortcut for what would normally be 2 or 3 lines of code. I'm sure it's handy, but I seems like it's going to be abused like the condition?then:else operator. generics are great in general and I always hated that flash didn't have type dictionaries (which I assumed Haxe has), been then they release maps which are basically Dictionaries, which are totally ugly. I would rather use the mem addresses in an array than have object keys.

macros.... a few years ago I loved the idea of C++ macros, and thought C# was lame for not including them. Now I'm siding with C#'s standpoint that macros easily make your code esoteric and unreadable. but again this is a feature that when used responsibly can be great.

All in all- haxe seems like as3 with as many bells and whistles hacked into it as humanly possible. But i haven't used it enough to really bash it yet.

// --- FROM MSG'S LINK
var e1 = macro 4; // A normal 4 constant
var e2 = macro $e1 + 2; // Binary operator 4 + 2;
// haxe 3 only from here on
var e3 = macro myFunc($a{[$e1, $e2]}); // a call to myFunc using 4 and 4 + 2 as arguments
var e4 = macro $p{["haxe", "Log", "trace"]}; // a path to haxe.Log.trace
var ident = "varName";
var e5 = macro trace($i{ident}); // a call to trace with identifier varName as argument
var e6 = macro $b{[e1,e2,e3,e4,e5]}; // a block of all the above

If i saw code like this at work I would smack somebody

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 02:06:25 Reply

hi guys, I heard luis was talking about me.

anyway yeah, box2d is amazing and I recommend looking into it if you need a 2d physics solution for flash or unity.

box2d is natively c++ I believe, but someone took that open source project and turned it into the 'farseer' physics engine. (which is box2d with some more stuff)

[i]then[/i] someone took that and ported it to C# and made a unity plugin/asset out of it.

it's still tough trying to force real world physics into a platformer game (worrying about gravity, velocity, friction, forces, etc) but it was much easier than trying to castrate unity's built-in "physx" engine.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 15:09:40 Reply

At 6/3/13 04:32 PM, GeoKureli wrote: macros.... a few years ago I loved the idea of C++ macros, and thought C# was lame for not including them. Now I'm siding with C#'s standpoint that macros easily make your code esoteric and unreadable. but again this is a feature that when used responsibly can be great.

removing a useful feature because it *CAN* be used stupidly doesn't really justify removing it.

also my swf renderer is coming along, here's some more screenshots

line renderer test 1:
http://i.imgur.com/HcvrIaF.png

line renderer test 2:
http://i.imgur.com/aDBeTFg.png

image test (layers, lines, transparent lines, fills)
http://i.imgur.com/aXLQ6SA.png

found this library and used it to rewrite the line renderer
http://i.imgur.com/YcxKTdZ.png

dynamic curve subdivision, I step across the curve in really short steps, it only adds the point to the list if the distance is greater than a minimum threshold and the angle is greater than a minimum threshold (more points on the curvier parts, less on the straighter parts)
http://i.imgur.com/YYF9MrX.png

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 15:25:44 Reply

At 6/4/13 03:09 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: image test (layers, lines, transparent lines, fills)
http://i.imgur.com/aXLQ6SA.png

You spelled out "religion" in cursive hebrew without knowing. I think jewish jesus is trying to speak to us through your swf rendering tests.

Btw what is the renderer used for? Are you just programming the functionality of a renderer in the broad sense of the word? Is there any specific purpose you have in mind for this?

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 15:32:32 Reply

At 6/4/13 03:25 PM, Toast wrote: Btw what is the renderer used for? Are you just programming the functionality of a renderer in the broad sense of the word? Is there any specific purpose you have in mind for this?

so I can make games in c++ but use SWF for assets

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 16:50:08 Reply

At 6/4/13 03:32 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 6/4/13 03:25 PM, Toast wrote: Btw what is the renderer used for? Are you just programming the functionality of a renderer in the broad sense of the word? Is there any specific purpose you have in mind for this?
so I can make games in c++ but use SWF for assets

http://gameware.autodesk.com/scaleform

I just saw a job posting on linked in asking for a flash programmer to make UI elements for C++ games using scaleform.

I've yet to look into it, fully

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 16:52:09 Reply

At 6/4/13 04:50 PM, GeoKureli wrote: http://gameware.autodesk.com/scaleform

scaleform is for UI I am making my thing for game objects / assets and stuff

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-04 17:23:56 Reply

At 6/4/13 04:52 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 6/4/13 04:50 PM, GeoKureli wrote: http://gameware.autodesk.com/scaleform
scaleform is for UI I am making my thing for game objects / assets and stuff

I don't see why it couldn't be used for that, too.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-05 17:26:12 Reply

I got openfl to work. Never before has making a green square made me so proud of myself. Code completion still gives an error every time I press "." but whatever.

Meanwhile I have a java test tomorrow I haven't studied for
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-05 18:04:00 Reply

At 6/5/13 05:26 PM, MSGhero wrote: I got openfl to work. Never before has making a green square made me so proud of myself. Code completion still gives an error every time I press "." but whatever.

I know, right?! I shouted at the top of my lungs when I got my red square to work. Unfortunately it was in the middle of class and everyone looked at me like I was crazy >.>

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-05 22:46:16 Reply

i make webcomic http://imgur.com/a/NlPDq

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-05 22:51:30 Reply

At 6/5/13 10:46 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: i make webcomic http://imgur.com/a/NlPDq

Ohh, THAT'S what the swf renderer is for.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-06 12:51:52 Reply

At 6/5/13 10:46 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: i make webcomic http://imgur.com/a/NlPDq

that last panel is from a currently-running web comic by the name of control-alt-delete. The author ended the original series last year and started a new one. It'd been running for a very, very long time and I had a pretty deep emotional investment by that time.
He ended the series twice, the second because people were complaining about the first ending. The first ending ripped my heart out and shred it to bits :'(

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-06 22:08:42 Reply

At 6/6/13 09:58 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: more webcomicz

https://twitter.com/tylerglaiel/status/342799895977156608/ph oto/1

im impressed with your ability to draw bewbs

None

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-06 22:32:25 Reply

At 6/6/13 09:58 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: https://twitter.com/tylerglaiel/status/342799895977156608/ph oto/1

Ohhh, I remember this one, too! Not sure what it is or where, but I remember seeing a small comic floating around the interwebs years ago. It had two versions, one where peach sends him a note about cupcakes and he asks where they are when she's naked with whipped topping all over her, and one where he's getting cake (I think) his skeleton is in a cell and there's tick marks along the wall with the phrase "the cake is a lie" written everywhere.
Was also much better drawn.

No offense, glaiel :P

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-06-07 21:40:29 Reply

more comics, i'll just post the whole album http://imgur.com/a/LBYH1