Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,708,956 Views
  • 63,678 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-13 19:49:32 Reply

At 5/13/13 06:33 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: no, its not a flash player / virtual machine implementation like scaleform is, you can extract movieclip data from the SWF and use them as game objects

That will be pretty coool, but yeah, I see how that could be pain in the ass. Are you gonna turn it into a full working library thing or just make it flexible enough for what your up to right now? What are you up too?


BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-13 19:56:34 Reply

good to see this much at least

http://pastebin.com/jJA5UT6S

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-13 20:17:50 Reply

At 5/13/13 07:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: good to see this much at least

http://pastebin.com/jJA5UT6S

Sweeeet. reminds me of a library I used to mess with the .swf file format, but of course that was in as3.


BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-13 21:04:59 Reply

At 5/13/13 07:49 PM, swishcheese wrote: That will be pretty coool, but yeah, I see how that could be pain in the ass. Are you gonna turn it into a full working library thing or just make it flexible enough for what your up to right now? What are you up too?

it is just for me, i can be a lot more lax with what features I support and what ones I dont and stuff

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-13 22:16:33 Reply

At 5/13/13 09:04 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: it is just for me, i can be a lot more lax with what features I support and what ones I dont and stuff

okayy, cool. cool. That's the best kind of classes to make, for yourself by yourself.


BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-14 03:22:53 Reply

So I had the issue in the text explosion where letters that went below the baseline (qypgj) screwed up the beginBitmapFill matrix param. If the word also had tall letters in it, the param would be different than if it didn't have tall letters. The height of "tg" for instance is more than the height of "ag." "j" is the worst since it's a tall letter (the dot) and goes below the baseline!

It seems like every "height" or "ascent" variable in all the text classes is just the maximum height the letter can be rather than it's actual height. So I had to hard-code all the tall letters and the proper offset to use in each situation...Not sure how else to go about it.

If the font face or size changes, I'll be so sad.
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-15 17:50:14 Reply

At 5/14/13 03:22 AM, MSGhero wrote: So I had the issue in the text explosion where letters that went below the baseline (qypgj) screwed up the beginBitmapFill matrix param. If the word also had tall letters in it, the param would be different than if it didn't have tall letters. The height of "tg" for instance is more than the height of "ag." "j" is the worst since it's a tall letter (the dot) and goes below the baseline!

It seems like every "height" or "ascent" variable in all the text classes is just the maximum height the letter can be rather than it's actual height. So I had to hard-code all the tall letters and the proper offset to use in each situation...Not sure how else to go about it.
If the font face or size changes, I'll be so sad.

I wonder if the sizes offset is uniform. Like you could make an offset variable equal to zero and add it to all the hardcoded values. Then if the size changes you can just change the offset variable (negative if size goes smaller, positive if bigger)


BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-15 18:47:14 Reply

At 5/15/13 05:50 PM, swishcheese wrote: I wonder if the sizes offset is uniform. Like you could make an offset variable equal to zero and add it to all the hardcoded values. Then if the size changes you can just change the offset variable (negative if size goes smaller, positive if bigger)

Within the same font, that might be possible since the ratios between things would remain constant. It might be as easy as offset at 28pt * new size / 28pt or something. I tried a few filters out to see if it could look less boring, but I have to check inner as true each time cuz outer glows and such mean a different offset. I'll just make gameplay more interesting and exciting so no one notices how weird the polygons look when put together. I guess I could also use the textfield as the default image until they collide, then remove that and add the polys' shapes.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-15 19:30:08 Reply

Free assets. I suggest we jam using whatever assets get uploaded. They'll all be high quality, and it'd be interesting to see the different ways people implement the same thing. It'd be more of a programmer's jam since the art and music will already exist, but who cares about artsy people anyway?

No offense to artsy people
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 00:41:08 Reply

At 5/15/13 07:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: Free assets. I suggest we jam using whatever assets get uploaded. They'll all be high quality, and it'd be interesting to see the different ways people implement the same thing. It'd be more of a programmer's jam since the art and music will already exist, but who cares about artsy people anyway?
No offense to artsy people

This is nice and very exciting. I'm always surprised by just how very motivation-inducing art and animation assets can be to me. Haven't worked with an animator for a really long time. I think it would be great to to have a jam among programmers with a huge package of open assets. Heck, it'd be great to have a huge package of open assets even without the jam, lol. But joking aside, I think it's an interesting idea; it could really bring out the individual potential of each programmer. I think some people would be able to churn out games incredibly fast with such a package.

Looks like it's still in its very early formative stages. Give me a poke when this thing is good to go and you guys wanna jam :-)


BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 02:13:31 Reply

At 5/16/13 12:41 AM, Toast wrote:
At 5/15/13 07:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: I suggest we jam using whatever assets get uploaded.

So, are we doing this? sounds cool, I'm sure the bundle organizers would love to hear about it

nitokov
nitokov
  • Member since: May. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 02:45:33 Reply

At 5/16/13 02:13 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/16/13 12:41 AM, Toast wrote:
At 5/15/13 07:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: I suggest we jam using whatever assets get uploaded.
So, are we doing this? sounds cool, I'm sure the bundle organizers would love to hear about it

+1
count me in, this is great!


RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 12:08:56 Reply

At 5/16/13 02:13 AM, GeoKureli wrote: So, are we doing this? sounds cool, I'm sure the bundle organizers would love to hear about it

I already asked, and he said that'd be cool once they get their assets/asses together. Maybe ad revenue can go toward the money they need to make it open source? I'm not sure how much exactly that is. I'll ask Tom to bring it up once the bundle is ready.

Mattster
Mattster
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 12:51:46 Reply

At 5/15/13 07:30 PM, MSGhero wrote: Free assets. I suggest we jam using whatever assets get uploaded. It'd be more of a programmer's jam since the art and music will already exist, but who cares about artsy people anyway?

Great idea! I'm starting to go through jam withdrawal D:

symptoms include doing school work and sleeping
swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 16:12:57 Reply

I am in!!!....Depending on what summer job I get. Soooo, +1/2 for me.


BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 20:39:04 Reply

Ohey, Glaiel, I didn't know you used twitter.
Saw TB reply to your tweet and I was like "oh, hey!" :P


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 22:30:42 Reply

At 5/16/13 10:15 PM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm starting to be a bit worried about egg's health...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732424430457847 1252974458308.html?mod=WSJ_article_comments#articleTabs%3Dar ticle

Apostrophe's are stupid, eggs health will be just fine when they get removed.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-16 23:49:43 Reply

"Without it, Jimmys looks plural, not possessive"
No, it just looks stupid.

"An apostrophe, the argument goes, implies private ownership of a public place"
Well, duh. The entire point of the name in the first place was to give indication of ownership to a certain person.

I'm a bit of a grammar freak (thanks to my grandmother) - I don't go ballistic or anything, but missing basic stuff like punctuation will make me pretty uncomfortable.

On a different-yet-related topic, is this what our government's spending our tax money on? This and arguments over tomatoes on pizza, eh?


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-17 00:59:09 Reply

At 5/16/13 11:49 PM, egg82 wrote: without it jimmys looks plural not possessive no it just looks stupid an apostrophe the argument goes implies private ownership of a public place well duh the entire point of the name in the first place was to give indication of ownership to a certain person im a bit of a grammer freak thanks to my grandmother I dont go ballistic or anything but missing basic stuff like punctuation will make me pretty uncomfortable
on a different yet related topic is this what our government's spending our tax money on

Popeyes Chicken didn't put an apostrophe on their sign to save money. Therefore, the government is doing the right thing.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-17 01:37:15 Reply

At 5/17/13 12:59 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/16/13 11:49 PM, egg82 wrote: without it jimmys looks plural not possessive no it just looks stupid an apostrophe the argument goes implies private ownership of a public place well duh the entire point of the name in the first place was to give indication of ownership to a certain person im a bit of a grammer freak thanks to my grandmother I dont go ballistic or anything but missing basic stuff like punctuation will make me pretty uncomfortable
on a different yet related topic is this what our government's spending our tax money on

oh, god, why? D:

Popeyes Chicken didn't put an apostrophe on their sign to save money. Therefore, the government is doing the right thing.

Well, at least they had a reason. Though I doubt it's saving money for the government :P
Anyway, I probably won't have a heart attack over the whole thing. Maybe a mild stroke, but i'll get over it pretty quickly once I remember that, in general, people here are too stupid to realize the difference anyway. Then i'll just be sad :(


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-17 01:38:41 Reply

At 5/17/13 01:37 AM, egg82 wrote:

in general, people here are too stupid to realize the difference anyway

and by "here" I mean "the U.S." - not "Newgrounds"


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 01:55:01 Reply

I won the game jam :D

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 02:13:14 Reply

At 5/18/13 01:55 AM, GeoKureli wrote: I won the game jam :D

Upload it here noob. Also, I think SC deserves more credit for making sure you didn't not get the black vote.

Watching House of Cards, it just came up
Also, gratz
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 03:04:13 Reply

At 5/18/13 02:13 AM, MSGhero wrote: Also, I think SC deserves more credit for making sure you didn't not get the black vote.

The credits have been updated, and Swish deserves many thanks for many reasons, all of which I am thankful for.

Upload it here noob.

I need to redo all the levels before I actually submit it to a website. It's officially changed from a 10 day project to a 1 month project because that's the only way I can motivate myself.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 03:45:28 Reply

mmm delicious data http://pastebin.com/tYERgAAd

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 03:59:44 Reply

At 5/18/13 03:45 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: mmm delicious data http://pastebin.com/tYERgAAd

Will you share the swf parsing library at any point? I mean, as much as just tossing it up on github or something? Including swf assets into future C++ projects would be pretty SWAAAG.

Meanwhile me and a friend did a mini game jam yesterday, so we both have a little game prototype running which is pretty neat. Still gotta gamify mine muchos more, but might have something to publish soon enough.

P.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 07:39:02 Reply

At 5/18/13 03:45 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: mmm delicious data http://pastebin.com/tYERgAAd

I tried parsing it and drawing it to see if I can guess what it is.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e8c32ef99e6f9f47ea494d16 a023e0e9

Obviously it's some kind of dragon.

nitokov
nitokov
  • Member since: May. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 08:55:04 Reply

At 5/18/13 07:39 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/18/13 03:45 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: mmm delicious data http://pastebin.com/tYERgAAd
I tried parsing it and drawing it to see if I can guess what it is.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e8c32ef99e6f9f47ea494d16 a023e0e9

Obviously it's some kind of dragon.

i see butterfly catching flies on butter


RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-18 13:47:41 Reply

At 5/18/13 07:39 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 5/18/13 03:45 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: mmm delicious data http://pastebin.com/tYERgAAd
I tried parsing it and drawing it to see if I can guess what it is.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e8c32ef99e6f9f47ea494d16 a023e0e9

Obviously it's some kind of dragon.

close

http://i.imgur.com/SIoEZW9.png