00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,016 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:37:51

Hi guys. Shall we talk about Inglor sex?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:39:16

At 9/28/06 12:37 PM, Cybex wrote: Hi guys. Shall we talk about Inglor sex?

K.

Damn, ended up at second page. :/

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:41:03

That is a totally innaporpriate comment. And that exactly why this lounge was made :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:42:51

I have a slight rant/debate starter.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I never say it in the actual threads to avoid fighting.

When someone makes a thread in the programming forum or Flash forum, and they put something like "Easy problem, please help me" it makes me MAD. I hate when people classify their problems as easy, yet they're asking for help. How do they know it's an easy problem to fix? If it's so easy, why are they asking it?

Anyone feel the same way?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:44:52

At 9/28/06 12:30 PM, Zwe wrote: I hope you still have time to make awesome games, JMTB ;)

Which is why Armor Games seemed like the suitable choice for after school work :).

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:45:09

Awsome idea luis. I still think there should be a forum for 2000+ (regs) post people. But i suppose that would be biased. Anyway, i'll keep an eye on the thread.

Okay, to get this started, do you think the takeover by adobe of macromedia is it a good thing? Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of it? Anythink adobe will be better at for flash (eg graphics tools)?

That's allowed right?

Yes we shall. Sorry, i had to post this pic.

Suprise Panda buttsecks :O.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:45:28

At 9/28/06 12:44 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 9/28/06 12:30 PM, Zwe wrote: I hope you still have time to make awesome games, JMTB ;)
Which is why Armor Games seemed like the suitable choice for after school work :).

Woah, sweet :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:47:02

At 9/28/06 12:44 PM, jmtb02 wrote:

So, are you working for AG Now?

If you are, congrats :). If your not, i'm guessing you mean sponser money, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:47:05

At 9/28/06 12:42 PM, DFox wrote: Anyone feel the same way?

Yeah, what we should reply to that is:
- If you think THAT is an easy problem, then you're a Flash genious.
- If you can't figure out an easy problem Flash isn't for you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:47:26

No, lol. That sort of thing really doesn't bother me in the slightest. Have you tried anger management? :P

I Know what you mean though. People usually just classify their code as easy pr hard based on how long the code is.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:47:44

To me the newgrounds scene is based on two generations of artists.
The first generation was the older cats, like mindchamber, dan p, myself, tommunism (whatever happend to him), edmund, and other artists that dont come to mind.
Where the scene was still pretty bare and things like perverto performed well where as if i had started off my flash career today with that i may be lucky if i dont get blammed.

The second generation of artists are mostly artists in their teens that are making waves already, the rtils, pakos, and others. The second generation of artists in my opinion have it a little bit rougher because the scene has refined itself so much and so its much harder to be a trailblazer.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:47:58

People write that to catch your eye and go, 'Hey, I am pretty good at flash, I sure would be able to answer an eay question that this person could not do'
And it usually works..

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:50:55

At 9/28/06 12:42 PM, DFox wrote: When someone makes a thread in the programming forum or Flash forum, and they put something like "Easy problem, please help me" it makes me MAD. I hate when people classify their problems as easy, yet they're asking for help. How do they know it's an easy problem to fix? If it's so easy, why are they asking it?

That doesn't bother me as much as "Advanced Question Expert Needed" for a question about basic button actions. People new to Flash won't always know the difficulty level of their problems, but they are just trying to give thier thread a title that will attract the riight level of programmer. Either is better than a thread title like the current "Hmmm ..." which tells you nothing about the question the author has.

At 9/28/06 12:45 PM, Depredation wrote: Okay, to get this started, do you think the takeover by adobe of macromedia is it a good thing? Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of it? Anythink adobe will be better at for flash (eg graphics tools)?

I think a few new photoshop-esque tools would be cool, but my fear is that Flash will start taking 20 times longer to load than any other program because that seems to be the trend with Adobe products.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 12:58:50

At 9/28/06 12:50 PM, BleeBlap wrote: I think a few new photoshop-esque tools would be cool, but my fear is that Flash will start taking 20 times longer to load than any other program because that seems to be the trend with Adobe products.

Do you think they will make it so normal .psd with layers, be imported with layers as a graphic?

Or can that already be done :L ?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:02:40

At 9/28/06 12:45 PM, Depredation wrote: Okay, to get this started, do you think the takeover by adobe of macromedia is it a good thing? Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of it? Anythink adobe will be better at for flash (eg graphics tools)?

I think the fact that Adobe had the money to take over Flash *should* be good for it (ie, more money in development), but it all depends on how much Adobe is interested in furthering Flash.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:05:04

I think the adobe thing is a good idea. Hopefully they'll make it sort of compatible with photoshop so that you can import a photoshop image into flash and still see it with all the layers that it used on photoshop, but i guess that would need editing photoshop too.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:20:37

the flash scene will always be special to me. its the first language that i actually ever considered myself great with. i remember coming in here and being one of the many that worshipped glaiel, since he was just becoming popular with magnetism 2.

i can also recall thinking that the "ball" series (by jmtb) mustve been made by some huge team because of how professional it looked. its funny that i now consider myself glaiel's and jmtb's equal, since the two of them are really the reason i stayed with flash for so long.

even if i do give glaiel shit, i have him to thank for making me interested in flash, whether he knows it or not.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:20:48

No, not really. (*trying to mix myself into the conversation*). What I do find irritating though is that Flash doesn't seem to have an option to change the color of a fill in realtime (at least, not to my knowledge). When you want to change the colour of a fill you need to change it in the colour mixer (obviously), however you can only see the result when you select a specific colour (do I still make sense?). I'd like the colours of the fill to change when I drag my mouse over the mixer, that way I could see the result of using different colours more easily.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:24:56

I do hope that with the aquisition of flash it can work more closely with photoshop as well. I hate using fireworks.

Something i also would like is more power to layers in flash much the way you can have them in photoshop... with screens and hard light and things like that.

-L

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:26:32

I also think its the idea that Newgrounds fosters creativity in the most brutal way possible. The best of the best get praised, while anything below that will have a pretty harsh amount of reviews and votes cast against them. Most new people will get trashed for their for few submissions before seeing any rays of hope. In some ways, I think this toughens Flash artists so that will continue with Flash.

And the voting, score, and award mechanic will keep people striving for the better. Personal reward through great reviews and possibly even shooting for the top 50 keeps everyone producing the best work they can possibly ever come up with. People want those awesome stats bad, such as the most blam/protect, the most awards, etc. Its exciting, and it what fuels a lot of people to continue with Flash, if it isn't just for their pure creativity.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:27:19

At 9/28/06 01:20 PM, Xeptic wrote: Flash doesn't seem to have an option to change the color of a fill in realtime

I understand, and that would be a great improvement in the next version..
it would be far easier seeing what suits thebackground etc..

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:30:02

Argh, always -.-.

A forum I used to browse made it a rule that you had to give appropriate titles for things, inappropriate titles in general piss me off =S.
All I see it is people who want desperate attention to help solve their problems, imo they should atleast give it a title that'll make people want to try and help :S.

---

Finally they made a new lounge for us, I wasn't around for the old one but this will be totally awesome :D!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:32:04

Nah.. I don't agree because often it's a easy problem like "Quick! I forgot the exact way to put it, is it 'Stop=;'?" It annoys me when it's not simillar to that though.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:37:22

On the subject of topic titles, it really annoys me when there's threads like "need help QUICK" as if their thread is so much more important than everyone else's and should be answered first.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:46:04

Ah, Lu, what've ya done? :P

Besides guarantee that you're gonna win every mod-related popularity poll for the next three years, heh. As your pennance, I'm going to bug you about how you were supposed to have your character done by the end of this month but probably won't until the end of next month, if I'm lucky ^________^

Have fun, kids. Don't eff this chance up like the crowd did two generations ago <3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:47:23

At 9/28/06 01:37 PM, Cybex wrote: On the subject of topic titles, it really annoys me when there's threads like "need help QUICK" as if their thread is so much more important than everyone else's and should be answered first.

Argh I totally agree, as I said earlier it's like they're just after desperate attention for help >_<.

---

And as for changing subjects completely randomly, I think this'd be a good thing to discuss :P:

How quickly do you work at flash? Or how quickly can you come up with a game or movie?

My first movie was badly ade in less than the trial of Flash 8, it was blammed.

My tutorial (I'll probably delete soon), took me a few days also, but surprisingly passed with a score of 3.12.

I started taking more care in my work and towards the end of December, I worked for 3 months on Cursor Challenge, it was alot better than my other two because of the time I spent, and a fair amount of effort went into it.

And recently came the release of my latest game, Bob's Escape, only took a few weeks to come up with, and I found it to be an awesome outcome.

I'm now working on a game which I almost finished in under a day, I'm now coming towards the end of week 1 with it and it's look pretty awesome (and my first game to include a leader board). The work in progress game can be seen on my site (www.topaz-games.com).

But what I've found looking back, is that I started off with taking no time/care with my work and ending up with basd stuff, gradually as I took more time I got better, and now that I'm getting more skilled and learning far more techniques, my games are being produced incredibly quickly.

Anyone else found that after a while they started speeding up?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:48:11

heres my dirty post. in case i ever come back

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:54:39

At 9/28/06 01:47 PM, Jindo wrote: Anyone else found that after a while they started speeding up?

Yes, infact, the past few years I hadnt tried very hard, nor cared about what I was making in flash (it was mainly for fun) . But recently (past two weeks) I have been putting more detail into my animations, and yes, I am producing much quicker than I used to!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:54:53

At 9/28/06 12:47 PM, Luis wrote: To me the newgrounds scene is based on two generations of artists.
The first generation was the older cats, like mindchamber, dan p, myself, tommunism (whatever happend to him), edmund, and other artists that dont come to mind.

In other words, all the good artists.

At 9/28/06 01:48 PM, AloneInTheDark wrote: heres my dirty post. in case i ever come back

Come back now! We all miss you and your great artwork!

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2006-09-28 13:58:45

What happened to the monthly awards? Who won each award in the end?