New Topic Respond to this Topic
fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 10:24 AM Reply

At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.

There's plenty to learn about CS that will blow your mind, if you wanted to.

Molehill got that kid in me again a bit, so I guess I'll go do that...

I've seen more competent people excited about how good Unity is.
(That's where I get the disconnect from. You're excited about a feature that *Adobe* are *planning*.)

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 10/28/11 10:24 AM, fixplz wrote:
At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.
There's plenty to learn about CS that will blow your mind, if you wanted to.

Nothing has the same WOW factor like it did before. I actually blew my mind when in school we were learning about imaginary numbers, and the fact that if you do i^x and travel a graph along the x value, you get a perfect sinusoidal spring, which was relevant to me in that I'm on/off working on a parametric collision detection engine.

Molehill got that kid in me again a bit, so I guess I'll go do that...
I've seen more competent people excited about how good Unity is.
(That's where I get the disconnect from. You're excited about a feature that *Adobe* are *planning*.)

Molehill's live already, FP11 has been released fyi. And what's wrong with Molehill? Yes, it's not the best thing I could be using if I really really need to put out 3d content on the web, but I just do this stuff as a hobby. Molehill's interesting, AS3 is fun, why not. Also time is a bit low, so I find it more comfortable extending my existing as3 knowledge rather than jumping to a different platform.

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 10:50 AM Reply

It was described as it was 'planned', but as we found out they found a reason to disable it on half the computers. And it was never going to be better than Unity, and the tools still suck.
Being low on time isn't an excuse to be excited about Molehill instead of others, is it though. :p

I assure you I know some extent of math and there is plenty of juice for your wowings.

I spent the last few days traveling back to Latvia. Now I'm here! We could meet up.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 10/28/11 10:50 AM, fixplz wrote: I spent the last few days traveling back to Latvia. Now I'm here! We could meet up.

Woah, yeah, sure! When were you thinking? I live 20 minutes away from the monument, so I'm good for most of the time. Also do you know Nabaklab? That's my primary hang spot.

Like I said before, Molehill seemed like it was a good step in the right direction for Adobe, but they still managed to fuck it up, plus I was never expecting it to surpass Unity in any way. Not a lot of time + I'm a little lazy fuck makes it more of a legit excuse :)

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 03:45 PM Reply

At 10/28/11 11:21 AM, PSvils wrote:

plus I was never expecting it to surpass Unity in any way.

Maybe when unity gets its browser penetration over 1% then they can start considering themselves competitors with flash. =P

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 03:58 PM Reply

BTW anyone seen the new armor games front page? http://beta.armorgames.com/ it looks really good.

BBS Signature
Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 10/28/11 03:58 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: BTW anyone seen the new armor games front page? http://beta.armorgames.com/ it looks really good.

I didn't like. I prefer 1,000 times the one before (and also with rounded black buttons in the header).

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 28th, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 10/28/11 04:47 PM, Spysociety wrote:
At 10/28/11 03:58 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: BTW anyone seen the new armor games front page? http://beta.armorgames.com/ it looks really good.
I didn't like. I prefer 1,000 times the one before (and also with rounded black buttons in the header).

ah yeah I see what you mean about the rounded buttons, overall I like it more though. I really like the little javascript animation when you click on a thumbnail in the game showcase.

btw will newgrounds ever see a redesign? its been a while they've been talking about it. I like what armorgames is doing with the beta "preview". You can even submit complaints and suggestions through the feedback link. This way you don't alienate your userbase and get some good critical feedback before you push the site live for everyone.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 29th, 2011 @ 02:34 AM Reply

Ohhhh yeeaah, made a track like a boss last night.

Sorry, pretty excited about it, since I just need to finish that one, and I'll have enough tracks for a release :O

Then I'm going to make a Flash based artist website with lots of sick animations, the music will auto start playing, and I'll have the sickest menu ever, it'll be like those games where you move the mouse, and lots of little MC's that are in the way move around it, and you gotta look for something underneath. That would be a cool menu.

I'm also going to use at least 3 glow filters and every button and stuff. I think this way I'll be able to attract the higher class, and exclude those that can't afford quadcore+8gb memory computers, thereby building a rich fan base that will be able to support me when I stop making music.

This will be so cool!

P.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 29th, 2011 @ 06:55 AM Reply

At 10/29/11 02:34 AM, PSvils wrote: I'm also going to use at least 3 glow filters and every button and stuff. I think this way I'll be able to attract the higher class, and exclude those that can't afford quadcore+8gb memory computers, thereby building a rich fan base that will be able to support me when I stop making music.

I like the way you think xD

funkycaveman
funkycaveman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 29th, 2011 @ 04:29 PM Reply

Hello,
I have recently finished making a flash game and now wish to get it sponsored. Any ideas on how to increase value of a game or get any bids quicker?
Thanks in advance.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 29th, 2011 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 10/29/11 04:29 PM, funkycaveman wrote: Hello,
I have recently finished making a flash game and now wish to get it sponsored. Any ideas on how to increase value of a game or get any bids quicker?
Thanks in advance.

Post it here and get some feedback.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 30th, 2011 @ 07:07 AM Reply

At 10/29/11 06:55 AM, Sandremss128 wrote:
At 10/29/11 02:34 AM, PSvils wrote: I'm also going to use at least 3 glow filters and every button and stuff. I think this way I'll be able to attract the higher class, and exclude those that can't afford quadcore+8gb memory computers, thereby building a rich fan base that will be able to support me when I stop making music.
I like the way you think xD

I'm being serious.

nat!

I actually hate Flash only websites with a passion. HTML/JS is the way to go, quick'n'easy and simple + minimal design = a big cup of yes.

In other news, I placed 1st in 2 remix competitions in the last week, one of which was the Timohi one hosted on NG. :O

scarface346
scarface346
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 30th, 2011 @ 08:56 AM Reply

One of my favorites is the book of living magic.You should really check it out.

funkycaveman
funkycaveman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 30th, 2011 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 10/29/11 04:41 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 10/29/11 04:29 PM, funkycaveman wrote: Hello,
Thanks in advance.
Post it here and get some feedback.

I dont want to post it on the forum for limited exposure reasons but if anyone wishes to help out i can PM you a link.

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Oct. 30th, 2011 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 10/30/11 03:13 PM, funkycaveman wrote: I dont want to post it on the forum for limited exposure reasons but if anyone wishes to help out i can PM you a link.

pm me.

BBS Signature
Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 3rd, 2011 @ 03:51 AM Reply

Err guys, it might be worth changing your password on FlashGameLicense and sites using the same password.
Relevant blog post

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 11/3/11 03:51 AM, Doomsday-One wrote: Err guys, it might be worth changing your password on FlashGameLicense and sites using the same password.
Relevant blog post

:O That's crayseeee.

Changed mine, but I doubt they have any interest in my account, which has absolutely nothing on it.

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Air 3.0 for iOS

Fuck. Me. It. Is. Good.

And by good I mean "it actually works". I did some test with iOS and Air 2.6 and I struggled to move to vectors on the screen. With Air 3.0 I've got 20+ layered objects, all alpha'd on top of each other and it's still running at 50-55 fps. If I was to start blitting stuff I could do what I want.

Air3.0 + Unreal Engine = thinking twice about Unity.

Also in the last month I've been promoted and my first iOS app went live. I am the king of all things.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 11/3/11 09:31 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Air 3.0 for iOS

Fuck. Me. It. Is. Good.

And by good I mean "it actually works". I did some test with iOS and Air 2.6 and I struggled to move to vectors on the screen. With Air 3.0 I've got 20+ layered objects, all alpha'd on top of each other and it's still running at 50-55 fps. If I was to start blitting stuff I could do what I want.

Air3.0 + Unreal Engine = thinking twice about Unity.

Also in the last month I've been promoted and my first iOS app went live. I am the king of all things.

!! :O This testimonial is awesome news!

I'm always skeptical of Adobe, but if Air3.0 really works that well, I will definitely give it a shot! (You don't need a developers key to just start testing, no?)

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 11/4/11 01:12 PM, PSvils wrote: I'm always skeptical of Adobe, but if Air3.0 really works that well, I will definitely give it a shot! (You don't need a developers key to just start testing, no?)

For iOS you need to be a registered Apple Developer ($99 per year) but you don't need any registration to publish for Android.

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 08:35 PM Reply

You can test in the simulator for free, but it doesn't simulate performance. It basically just makes your swf the size of an iphone screen and response to touch events from clicks.

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 09:20 PM Reply

I'm still working on my silly A* demo thing. This is just a branch of my EasyStar demo. I am leaving EasyStar untouched. I am trying to turn this into an actual game now. I put physics in... and then took them back out... Well. I decided I like it better without them.

I have been fooling around with GAE and I had two clients being able to see each others movement which was fine. I was doing some polling and it was pretty inefficient. I might try to mess more with that but I want to try to flesh out the game some more. Maybe put in some little monsters that you can fight or something.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 11/4/11 08:35 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: You can test in the simulator for free, but it doesn't simulate performance. It basically just makes your swf the size of an iphone screen and response to touch events from clicks.

Even on the devices Mouse Events work. Tapping things will fire Mouse Down and Mouse Up events etc.

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 4th, 2011 @ 09:27 PM Reply

At 11/4/11 09:22 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Even on the devices Mouse Events work. Tapping things will fire Mouse Down and Mouse Up events etc.

Yes but I believe if you click in the simulator it will fire a TouchEvent.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2011 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 11/4/11 09:20 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I was doing some polling and it was pretty inefficient.

Yuck! For realtime multiplayer?
You probably already know, but you gotta go socket server with that. Oh, and by the way, there are a few optimizations you can still do for your A* thing, like not using Array.sort(), Array.shift(), and Array.splice() (Not sure if you're doing that even though...), and also treating the Open list as more like an Object pool rather than an Array.
So instead of adding to the array, you do openList[ len] = newObject, where "len" is a separate variable denoting the arrays length (You manually increment it).
To delete an object from the array, you swap the object that's being deleted with the last element in the array, and decrement len by one.
Also, there's no point in sorting the entire array, since you only need the Node with the lowest F value. It's faster to for loop through it and find it that way than using Array.sort().

This is from an engine I had and a few recent tests to double check the performance costs. Array functions are little fuckers when it comes to performance sometimes, best avoid them.

P.

Plus it's my birthday! :O
Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2011 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 11/4/11 09:27 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 11/4/11 09:22 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Even on the devices Mouse Events work. Tapping things will fire Mouse Down and Mouse Up events etc.
Yes but I believe if you click in the simulator it will fire a TouchEvent.

Ew.
Hey does flash support multitouch yet?

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2011 @ 06:31 AM Reply

At 11/5/11 02:16 AM, PSvils wrote:

You better be telling me the truth, because I created a thread for that.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2011 @ 08:05 AM Reply

At 11/5/11 06:31 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 11/5/11 02:16 AM, PSvils wrote:
You better be telling me the truth, because I created a thread for that.

:O

Thanks brosef! :) First birthday thread I've ever had!

Now back to my neon snake, and a new 8bit game I started last night while "mentally augmented", but it's turning into a 2D minecraft from birds eye view kinda thing.

What's everyone up to currently?

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Nov. 5th, 2011 @ 08:13 AM Reply

At 11/5/11 08:05 AM, PSvils wrote: What's everyone up to currently?

I can't say for others, but I'm pretty much bored right now. I'll try to work something in flash, yadda yadda, and stuff like that.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature