New Topic Respond to this Topic
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 15:56:04 Reply

At 2/18/13 03:36 PM, I-smel wrote: It is super easy to set up a lobby and a game with people running around. I could've never done it before now.
The big thing that tripped me up was that my game relies on swapping vehicles. If players spawn their own vehicles in then it causes a big problem when they leave, and swapping who owns what was a difficult thing to think about. I had to break out of the tutorials and examples given, but I think it's working fine now.

Do you just delete the vehicle and make a new one when that happens? I'm thinking of letting people pick up bombs other people threw and that's what i'd have to do there.

Yeah though, I've tried networking stuff before, and always got hung up on it like ("what if the game goes out of sync???? what if one player doesn't see the same things as another???"), and kept trying to do things like delaying the input by the max ping so every player would receive the same commands at the same time and the game would be 100% deterministic and shit.

And then unity just gives no fucks about that, what its actually doing under the hood is super simple, its just each player sending info on where the objects they control are a bunch of times a second, and when other players receive those packets they move the objects / set the variables (/ call functions the server tells them to call), and its like... its that simple? and it works? I guess I was always over thinking it

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 16:31:12 Reply

I tried deleting them and producing new ones, it kept coming out as being really obvious that that's what I was doing.

I have the first player Instantiate a garage full of vehicles and store them in the scene. Then whenever a new player enters, they grab one of the vehicles, and put it back in the garage when they leave. So the planes never Instantiate or Destroy.
Whichever player is driving sends his position co-ordinates to all the other players, and that's a variable that can change whenever. If nobody's driving, then default back to Player 1.

If Player 1 leaves then I guess all the vehicles fucking dissapear, but I'll fix that later.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 16:42:20 Reply

I just realised that was more confusing than it had to be.

Players come and go as they want in the game and the vehicles just carry on as normal, because they're all technically owned by Player 1. That's the main point.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 17:05:02 Reply

At 2/18/13 03:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: its just each player sending info on where the objects they control are a bunch of times a second, and when other players receive those packets they move the objects / set the variables (/ call functions the server tells them to call), and its like... its that simple? and it works? I guess I was always over thinking it

I think you might run into some bigger problems with this at scale. For instance, if the server is not authoritative then it could lead to players exploiting the game. Also this doesn't sound particularly optimized. If you had 1000 players in a game then I wonder if you could run into latency problems, because you are not really optimizing your network traffic. I think what you're doing now makes a lot more sense then wasting time building your own architecture, though; for sure.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 17:14:49 Reply

At 2/18/13 05:05 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 2/18/13 03:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: its just each player sending info on where the objects they control are a bunch of times a second, and when other players receive those packets they move the objects / set the variables (/ call functions the server tells them to call), and its like... its that simple? and it works? I guess I was always over thinking it
I think you might run into some bigger problems with this at scale. For instance, if the server is not authoritative then it could lead to players exploiting the game. Also this doesn't sound particularly optimized. If you had 1000 players in a game then I wonder if you could run into latency problems, because you are not really optimizing your network traffic. I think what you're doing now makes a lot more sense then wasting time building your own architecture, though; for sure.

this is how unity built in stuff works, and I'm perfectly away of the risks of people exploiting the game, and I know it'll probably end up widespread at least in public lobbies, but i'll give the host the ability to kick people or ban them, and cause the game isn't that competitive and I wont tie rewards into winning matches, I don't think it'll matter too much.

I can just make it so if a player gets -kickban'd from a few different host servers, they get marked as a cheater and can't join games that disallow cheaters

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-18 18:33:02 Reply

At 2/18/13 05:14 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I can just make it so if a player gets -kickban'd from a few different host servers, they get marked as a cheater and can't join games that disallow cheaters

I think your head is in the right place. Fucking with networking would be premature optimization at this point anyways since you are still building, prototyping, seeing what works.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 00:18:46 Reply

This group project is just a bad game of Dota 2. Matchmaking puts a frat bro on my team who like 30 minutes ago sends the files I asked for 5 days ago. The other guy is helpful occasionally but overall hasn't really done anything. They always want to do group meetings and dick around the day before it's due instead of just fucking doing something. The report had been sitting in google docs for 3 days waiting for the files so I could finish it.

My friend says from tomorrow on, the class gets worse. It would be ok if we got to choose partners from here, but I have no idea what will actually happen.

Anyway, just cutscenes, music, and saving/loading and I'm finished this RPG.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 12:37:48 Reply

The Humble Bundle Mojam (Link)

This is a cool idea. Several indie game studios, including Mojang, have gotten together for a game jam to raise money for charity. It'd be really neat to see Newgrounds host something like this, but I'm not sure how exactly it would work. I know in the past that Tom has encouraged jammers to funnel ad revenue to charity accounts, but I don't think that option was very popular.

Thoughts?

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 15:05:38 Reply

At 2/20/13 12:37 PM, Archawn wrote: The Humble Bundle Mojam (Link)

This is a cool idea. Several indie game studios, including Mojang, have gotten together for a game jam to raise money for charity. It'd be really neat to see Newgrounds host something like this, but I'm not sure how exactly it would work. I know in the past that Tom has encouraged jammers to funnel ad revenue to charity accounts, but I don't think that option was very popular.

Thoughts?

maybe in one of the jams, youre given a charity from a pool and you have to use that cause/whatever as the direction you base your game on?

None

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 17:17:35 Reply

At 2/20/13 03:05 PM, Luis wrote: maybe in one of the jams, youre given a charity from a pool and you have to use that cause/whatever as the direction you base your game on?

That would actually be really cool, though a single charity wouldn't get very much from one game (I don't think they care how much the donation is, though). Maybe have a pool of charities smaller than the number of teams? Or just split up the total across them all.

It could be geared toward the rest of the community as well: maybe donate a dollar (via NG store or something) and get some unlockable in the game. That'd be pushing the 2 day limit, and idk if the api has access to any store data. Plus getting the word out about different charities and stuff.

Krahs
Krahs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 18:16:30 Reply

Someone check this out and tell me how it runs, I purposely filled it with shit to see how slow some computers will run. Theres also a mushroom to eat which also needs to be ran it adds many filters.

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 18:31:13 Reply

At 2/20/13 06:16 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: Someone check this out and tell me how it runs, I purposely filled it with shit to see how slow some computers will run. Theres also a mushroom to eat which also needs to be ran it adds many filters.
http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/533118

Runs smoothly, no problems as far as I can tell.

But, wat

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-20 19:25:38 Reply

At 2/20/13 12:37 PM, Archawn wrote: The Humble Bundle Mojam (Link)

I gave them everything I have

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 00:46:45 Reply

I learned something today:
FlashDevelop puts some defaults into programs that simply need to die.

Example One:
in the default Main constructor, you see

if (stage) init();
else addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);

this should simply be:

addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);

because code run from the constructor isn't a good thing (hard to debug), and events break this flow.

Example Two:
the mobile device constructor contains

addEventListener(Event.DEACTIVATE, onDeactivate);

private function onDeactivate(e:Event):void {
	NativeApplication.nativeApplication.exit();
}

or some such nonsense. This causes the application to exit (but not go away) when sent to the background, effectively pushing a big red reset button when you switch to another task (or minimize the application) for any reason whatsoever.

speaking of FD, a new version recently came out, accounting for SDK and FP updates, as well as improvements to mobile device support and other such things. Get it while it's hot!

BBS Signature
OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 07:46:25 Reply

Hai guys.

Notice anything NEW?

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 07:56:09 Reply

At 2/21/13 07:46 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Hai guys.

Notice anything NEW?

Grats!

Mattster
Mattster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 08:24:38 Reply

Notice anything NEW?

You hit 3,984 posts?! CONGRATS!

The gold looks good on you, grats :D
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 09:11:45 Reply

Notice anything NEW?

Did you change your hair?

D
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 09:13:23 Reply

At 2/21/13 09:11 AM, MSGhero wrote: Did you change your hair?
Grats :D

Wow that didn't format how I thought it would at all...

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 09:36:08 Reply

At 2/21/13 07:56 AM, Sam wrote:

Notice anything NEW?
Grats!

...to both of you! ;D

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 09:57:11 Reply

At 2/21/13 09:36 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: ...to both of you! ;D

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 10:38:41 Reply

At 2/21/13 09:57 AM, Sam wrote:
At 2/21/13 09:36 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: ...to both of you! ;D

SAM ?!?!?!?!?

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 11:15:30 Reply

grats to everyone! ^.^

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 11:27:56 Reply

Sam, your name isn't at the bottom with the other mods.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 11:46:23 Reply

At 2/21/13 11:27 AM, MSGhero wrote: Sam, your name isn't at the bottom with the other mods.

It'll show up tomorrow... along with Diki's (Congats to him too)
...it's a modapalooza up in here!!! lol!

knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 15:22:41 Reply

Grats Sam and 4ur! :)

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 15:31:04 Reply

At 2/21/13 03:22 PM, knugen wrote: Grats Sam and 4ur! :)

Holy shit you're alive!

I mean

Thanks!

And thanks everyone! :D

Also I almost accidentally deleted your post when clicking reply :'(
knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-21 16:03:00 Reply

At 2/21/13 03:31 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 2/21/13 03:22 PM, knugen wrote: Grats Sam and 4ur! :)
Holy shit you're alive!

I mean

Thanks!

And thanks everyone! :D

Also I almost accidentally deleted your post when clicking reply :'(

^^ I check in on the forum a few times a week but everything seems so calm around here, so I haven't done any modding really in ages. Same goes for Flashing :( Hence the no posting.

With that said though I'm really glad that this place finally has some truly active mods again! Every forum needs that mod presence.

Krahs
Krahs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-23 03:58:04 Reply

Could use some more people to test my game. I've added the ability to chase little birds aroind the map. Walk up to a baby bird walking at the start, press "a" and it will startle them and make them jump and flutter in the direction you are facing. This will be used be certian levels and objectives where you have to guide extra characters through the levels. Need people to try and make the baby birds clip through the wall of some how disapeare off stage. There are 5 birds in total in this test, if you still have 5 after moving them all around the map then thats good.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-02-23 16:15:00 Reply

Jesus when did it become so god damn hard to find an artist? I've literally been looking for one for over a year now haha what is my life.

Also congrats Sam and Omar

nobody