Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,866,558 Views
  • 64,263 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 11:15:17 Reply

At 1/11/13 02:58 PM, MSGhero wrote: Adobe made the whole CS2 free. I'm gonna practice my art after I'm done with this game (soon). As far as Flash games, do people use photoshop or illustrator at all, and what for if they do?

Unless they reversed their decision, Adobe was saying that you're only "legally" entitled to download CS2 if you already own a legit copy. Though they also said that they aren't going to waste time suing people who download it without owning it. (So get it quick, they could conceivably remove the download link and serials at some point.)

My preference for art is to use Gimp and/or Inkscape.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 12:54:23 Reply

At 1/12/13 11:15 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: My preference for art is to use Gimp and/or Inkscape.

I have both of those as well; Inkscape's interface kinda scared me away. GIMP doesn't fit on my computer screen - though it might now that I have another monitor. I'll play around with them and see which I prefer, I guess.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 13:11:37 Reply

At 1/12/13 12:54 PM, MSGhero wrote: I have both of those as well; Inkscape's interface kinda scared me away.

I had the same problem the first time I used Inkscape. It's kind of like a new pair of underwear; at first, it's tight and constrictive, then it becomes a part of you.

I'm not using the newest version, but I read somewhere that they either have released a version with a revamped UI or are currently working on revamping it.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 13:18:50 Reply

At 1/12/13 01:11 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: I had the same problem the first time I used Inkscape. It's kind of like a new pair of underwear; at first, it's tight and constrictive, then it becomes a part of you.

I recommend getting a larger size underwear.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 13:37:42 Reply

At 1/12/13 01:18 PM, egg82 wrote: I recommend getting a larger size underwear.

I would, but I'm holding out for Spongebob in my size.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 16:36:11 Reply

I started playing dark souls for the first time.

Fuck. Everything.

FantasticAxiom
FantasticAxiom
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 20:34:53 Reply

At 1/7/13 09:43 AM, Spysociety wrote: To work in FlashDevelop isn't really so different at all from the IDE, despite that FD is a better software for programming flash. I would recommend this tutorial: http://chrismweb.com/2011/01/26/creating-an-asteroids-game-p art-1-setting-up-flashdevelop-and-planning/

Some users like egg82 also develop some tutorials for FD, you should check out.

Why does embedding a bitmap make absolutely no sense in Actionscript 3? I got it to work, but what is even going on with #10 in that tutorial?

Innermike
Innermike
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 21:08:00 Reply

At 1/12/13 04:36 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I started playing dark souls for the first time.

Fuck. Everything.

Hahaha. Yeah, no, I cried.

But seriously, I love that game, I love the fact that you can totally fuck yourself over and cut out pretty big segments of the game by killing off characters (and certain giant birds) I love that you get intimately acquainted with every square foot of the map because of how many times you have to retrace your steps. And oh boy do I love having a dragon head.

Bosses are amazing too

nobody

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 21:26:31 Reply

At 1/12/13 08:34 PM, FantasticAxiom wrote: Why does embedding a bitmap make absolutely no sense in Actionscript 3? I got it to work, but what is even going on with #10 in that tutorial?

At a glance I didn't notice anything odd or confusing. If you were a bit more specific I'm sure multiple people here would be willing and able to help make sense of it. (I'd be willing, I can't vouch for my ability though.)

I did notice one thing he absolutely shouldn't be telling people to do. Just 'finding' images online for use in your game is a great way to get sued. He really should have either made original art for the tutorial, or used royalty free art.

Though the NASA image is probably in the clear. Works made by US government employees while conducting their normal tasks are in the public domain int he US.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

FantasticAxiom
FantasticAxiom
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-12 21:56:31 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:26 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: At a glance I didn't notice anything odd or confusing. If you were a bit more specific I'm sure multiple people here would be willing and able to help make sense of it. (I'd be willing, I can't vouch for my ability though.)

I did notice one thing he absolutely shouldn't be telling people to do. Just 'finding' images online for use in your game is a great way to get sued. He really should have either made original art for the tutorial, or used royalty free art.

Though the NASA image is probably in the clear. Works made by US government employees while conducting their normal tasks are in the public domain int he US.

I understand what's going on macroscopically, but don't see why a number of things work in the language itself. I'll list what seems confusing in that example:

1. The fact that Embed and source aren't keywords in FlashDevelop, which has every single keyword imaginable
2. The fact that you're creating a variable of a certain data type and then assigning a completely different data type to it
3. The fact that the image is automatically stored in that variable without you telling it to do so
4. The fact that suddenly that variable becomes a class with variables inside it that you never specified were there
5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

Mind you, I'm used to low-level programming, so the fact that something is this easy kind of raises my suspicion.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-13 00:24:02 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, FantasticAxiom wrote: 1. The fact that Embed and source aren't keywords in FlashDevelop, which has every single keyword imaginable
2. The fact that you're creating a variable of a certain data type and then assigning a completely different data type to it
3. The fact that the image is automatically stored in that variable without you telling it to do so
4. The fact that suddenly that variable becomes a class with variables inside it that you never specified were there
5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

Mind you, I'm used to low-level programming, so the fact that something is this easy kind of raises my suspicion.

Well, I have no clue how it works but
1) They aren't AS3, per se. I think they're flex
2) "MyImage" is a reference to a class, and "Bitmap" is a class. Not a bitmap; the word "Bitmap" is a class. Through magic, embed tells MyImage that it's a "Bitmap"-type class.
3) Magic
4) "Class" is an Object in AS3, so variables can hold references to classes.
5) Magic

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-13 01:01:45 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:08 PM, Innermike wrote: But seriously, I love that game, I love the fact that you can totally fuck yourself over and cut out pretty big segments of the game by killing off characters (and certain giant birds)

I just wanted to pop in and say.

Dark Souls FTW

That is all.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-13 01:05:12 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, FantasticAxiom wrote: 5. The fact that there is no semicolon or anything resembling a normal syntax on the embed line

AS3 doesn't actually require the use of semi-colons. Admittedly, I don't know to what extent that applies because I think code without semicolons looks terrible.


"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-14 16:23:54 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:08 PM, Innermike wrote: But seriously, I love that game, I love the fact that you can totally fuck yourself over and cut out pretty big segments of the game by killing off characters (and certain giant birds) I love that you get intimately acquainted with every square foot of the map because of how many times you have to retrace your steps. And oh boy do I love having a dragon head.

Bosses are amazing too

I'm towards the end of the game now and so far the only friendly NPC I killed was Patches. He cried "why?" when I killed him, as if he doesn't know what he did.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-14 16:30:13 Reply

At 1/14/13 04:23 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I'm towards the end of the game now and so far the only friendly NPC I killed was Patches. He cried "why?" when I killed him, as if he doesn't know what he did.

Down the pit you go!


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
FantasticAxiom
FantasticAxiom
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-14 19:58:18 Reply

At 1/13/13 12:24 AM, MSGhero wrote: Well, I have no clue how it works but
1) They aren't AS3, per se. I think they're flex
2) "MyImage" is a reference to a class, and "Bitmap" is a class. Not a bitmap; the word "Bitmap" is a class. Through magic, embed tells MyImage that it's a "Bitmap"-type class.
3) Magic
4) "Class" is an Object in AS3, so variables can hold references to classes.
5) Magic

AS3 must be the most magical programming language out there!

Makes sense, I guess.

At 1/13/13 01:05 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: AS3 doesn't actually require the use of semi-colons. Admittedly, I don't know to what extent that applies because I think code without semicolons looks terrible.

Agreed. It's just a habit now, anyways.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-15 04:53:53 Reply

ok i beat dark souls.

On new game plus I rushed myself towards anor londo in 45 minutes, that was way easier than the first time.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-15 05:14:19 Reply

At 1/15/13 04:53 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ok i beat dark souls.

On new game plus I rushed myself towards anor londo in 45 minutes, that was way easier than the first time.

What weapons are you using?

I was having trouble with the game until I got the Black Knight Sword. Using it is basically the game's "easy mode", to the point that I found it less enjoyable than when I was struggling with every area.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-15 18:44:12 Reply

At 1/15/13 05:14 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 1/15/13 04:53 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: ok i beat dark souls.

On new game plus I rushed myself towards anor londo in 45 minutes, that was way easier than the first time.
What weapons are you using?

I was having trouble with the game until I got the Black Knight Sword. Using it is basically the game's "easy mode", to the point that I found it less enjoyable than when I was struggling with every area.

by the end my 3 main weapons were

falchion+15
uchigatana+15
black bow of pharis+14

with 40 dex

I mostly used the falchion, except i just couldn't do the four kings with it because the sword was too short to reach them... so i went and got the uchigatana leveled up instead for that

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-15 18:47:37 Reply

I had trouble with the game before I learned how shield stability and poise worked, in the second half of the game I was just able to tank all the boss attacks and counter no problem by equipping the right shield for it.

Senti
Senti
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-16 12:24:12 Reply

Hallo, friends.

Sometimes I miss you guys.


BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-16 18:13:12 Reply

I programmed in PBasic earlier today for mechatronics. I was doing the same thing years ago, I think it was my first experience programming something to do something (ie not including HTML). Good times...

It doesn't like all the semicolons I accidentally throw in
PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 02:16:54 Reply

At 1/16/13 06:13 PM, MSGhero wrote: I programmed in PBasic earlier today for mechatronics. I was doing the same thing years ago, I think it was my first experience programming something to do something (ie not including HTML). Good times...

HTML isn't programming >:( It's formatting.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 14:05:14 Reply

At 1/17/13 02:16 AM, PSvils wrote: HTML isn't programming >:( It's formatting.

My favorite programming language is CSS.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 15:22:21 Reply

At 1/17/13 02:05 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: My favorite programming language is CSS.

I like MS Paint.


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 22:32:44 Reply

What the fuck kind of maniac plays Dark Souls for the first time, then comes back 2 days later near the end!!??

That game took me like a fuckin month!

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 22:39:56 Reply

At 1/17/13 10:32 PM, I-smel wrote: What the fuck kind of maniac plays Dark Souls for the first time, then comes back 2 days later near the end!!??

That game took me like a fuckin month!

i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 23:13:26 Reply

At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, egg82 wrote: i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P

College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break

No life helps too
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-17 23:52:05 Reply

At 1/17/13 11:13 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, egg82 wrote: i've done shit like that before. You can do a hell of a lot when you have no distractions and no life :P
College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break
No life helps too

I'm running off such little sleep right now and it's taking its toll. For some reason when night rolls around I'm wide awake and motivated to do things so I just stay up.

egg82
egg82
  • Member since: Jun. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-01-18 12:15:16 Reply

At 1/17/13 11:13 PM, MSGhero wrote: College has made me realize that you can get a lot done in 5 minutes. And there are so many 5 minuteses in a day, it's unbelievable! Instead of sleeping till like 3pm, I wake up early(ish) to get hw done, and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'm getting more coding done for this game than when I was at home for xmas break

Honestly, for me it's just because I have school two days a week for 4 hours a day and not much homework.

No life helps too

That it does! Though I am starting to get bored of having no girlfriend and no job. I might change that at some point.

also, Sanders was right about Eclipse in Linux. It works pretty damn well! I'm trying to see if I can get an objective-c compiler working in it so I don't need to download a Mac OS for VM.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge


Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature