Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-30 17:26:23 Reply

At 3/30/12 03:59 PM, PSvils wrote: Adobe's new "premium features" thing is SUCH bullshit...

We're allowed to use direct memory access OR stage3d, but as soon as we use both, BOOM, need a license...And yes, payment only starts from $50,000 bucks, but still, has that whole icky feeling and stuff...

Damn Adobe.

That's... just ridiculous!

Since when does adobe charge their developers just to 'unlock' features? Could you link us please I would like to read this myself.
Also how are they going to enforce this? Will it be deeply embedded into the flash player, or will it require a licence at compile time like ios. If its the last case I expect people to hack the crap out of it.
Its not that most of us would really need to use both features to the max... (we haven't ever and its just an extra) but this sure has a fishy smell to it.

Tell a man who always buys vanilla ice cream that he cant buy chocolate ice cream and he will still be upset.
Maybe it is time to learn another language...

ps. I looked it up and heres the link : http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/premium-fea tures.html

After reading I find out its more for the people that want to bring out big productions, as adobe calls it 'console quality games'. I'm thinking they are aiming at complex 3d games here. The domain naming thing can be nice if you want to use engines written in C/C++ with alchemy. To this date most noteworthy game engines are still in c/c++ so this could open up a big opportunity. Sadly adobe denies the 'average joe programmer' here.
I'm guessing that pure actioncript programmers have no disadvantage here...?
Also about the 'console quality games'; I'm more than happy to download it to my pc instead of going to the browser and loading in 4 gigs (with console quality comes console sized am I right?)

But after all its a bad prank from adobe.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-30 18:28:25 Reply

At 3/30/12 05:26 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: Stufferoosies

I'm trying to dig into Haxe the next time whenever I have time. I've already used it minimally for client jobs to ease the pain of PHP and classes, but it exports to C/C++, C#, everywhere. Best part, the C/C++ compilation has build tools for all 3 OSes, basically making your apps native for all of them using one code base.

Yum Yum, my games will look so much more legit as .exe's :D

P.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-30 23:41:24 Reply

The 9% thing is really lame. It's the equivalent of me selling you an instrument and then asking for 9% of the royalties from the songs you write with it.

I'm not saying this to be snobby, but just to make a point about Adobe's supposed 'target demographic', which they call "AAA" development. I work as a dev at a Fortune 500 company, and I am extremely concerned about this decision for Adobe's sake. I'm just saying that I'm certain that my employer would never, ever, pay these kind of royalties. I think it's a big mistake for Adobe in the long term. I know they are trying to hustle and find ways to bring their profits up, but I think they are really thinking way too short term. I think Adobe could have gone a really different route with the flash platform, but it's starting to become really clear that they are only concerned with short term cashflow. Only time will tell how this affects people's decision to use the platform, and we probably won't feel the ramifications of this decision for at least 3 years; but I have a feeling Adobe hasn't totally thought this one through.

BBS Signature
raidthewood
raidthewood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-31 11:21:20 Reply

Seems as though adobe is going to try and squeeze every last penny out of flash. Its sad really, they've doomed flash to a certain death, or at least eventually for the everyday developer--which will kill the product in the long run anyway. This is a disaster for everyone involved! :\ Unless they get their act together now we all might as well start the search now for new areas of browser based application development x.x

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-31 12:12:34 Reply

While I don't think this was such a good move on Adobe's part, I think everyone here is overreacting a bit.

This doesn't in any way limit the "average joe developer". I think Adobe's doing this mainly to cash in on people that could be making millions from flash, such as Zynga, while other developers would still get to use all the new features without giving Adobe a cut. I mean, how often do you hear of flash games getting over $50k in net revenue?

alwayssim
alwayssim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-31 12:54:46 Reply

At 3/31/12 12:12 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: This doesn't in any way limit the "average joe developer". I think Adobe's doing this mainly to cash in on people that could be making millions from flash, such as Zynga, while other developers would still get to use all the new features without giving Adobe a cut. I mean, how often do you hear of flash games getting over $50k in net revenue?

Will the same be true for apps developed with AIR? $50k isn't that uncommon for Apps.

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-31 13:15:55 Reply

At 3/31/12 12:54 PM, alwayssim wrote: Will the same be true for apps developed with AIR? $50k isn't that uncommon for Apps.

No it doesn't apply to air, only for web based flash player.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-31 17:00:25 Reply

At 3/31/12 12:12 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: This doesn't in any way limit the "average joe developer". I think Adobe's doing this mainly to cash in on people that could be making millions from flash, such as Zynga.

There are flash games that make over 50k. Also I hope you realize that Zynga would never pay this fee. They would sooner write their own plugin than pay a 9% fee. Facebook already takes 30% (though, probably less since Zynga & Facebook have a special relationship). If anything -- Zynga would negotiate special terms with Adobe that small developers like you and me would never have a chance of getting.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-01 16:27:19 Reply

What you can create in 2 hours, if you're awesome:
http://wolfos.org/resources/flash/hyperspace/Hyperspace.html

Nebula background not made by me, but rights reserved.

Need some feedback, I'm planning to make it into one of these upgrade games.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-01 17:08:03 Reply

At 4/1/12 04:27 PM, Wolfos wrote: What you can create in 2 hours, if you're awesome:
http://wolfos.org/resources/flash/hyperspace/Hyperspace.html

Nebula background not made by me, but rights reserved.

Need some feedback, I'm planning to make it into one of these upgrade games.

Make the laser more noticeable. It's hard to trace its path to know if another shot is needed.

Move the ship a tad faster, but that's just personal preference.

The explosion physics are a bit off. Some asteroids will get flung really fast by explosions that aren't very nearby, while asteroids close to the explosion will get slowed down and spin rather than anything dramatic like the former.

Really cool for 2 hrs though!

Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-06 00:30:34 Reply

At 3/31/12 11:21 AM, raidthewood wrote: Seems as though adobe is going to try and squeeze every last penny out of flash. Its sad really, they've doomed flash to a certain death..

Maybe its a good thing... if Flash dies.. it gets to live out its destiny of becoming retro. Its been used enough to make retro games, retro sprite movies.. its personified by simple graphics, simple but fun ideas... maybe it's time for Flash to let the dust fall on itself.

No doubt it'll boom again; but in a more niche way, kinda like how GIF's have.

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-06 02:46:25 Reply

So, Ludum Dare everyone, who's in?

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-06 03:32:54 Reply

At 4/6/12 02:46 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: So, Ludum Dare everyone, who's in?

I always get excited for these things, but in the end I miss it...so I'll try not missing this one!

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-07 10:01:31 Reply

Yesterday I hooked up my MIDI keyboard to my computer and started playing around with some Processing MIDI libraries. This is the result after playing "Fur Elise".

What cool things are the rest of you working on?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-07 16:41:35 Reply

At 4/7/12 10:01 AM, Archawn wrote: Yesterday I hooked up my MIDI keyboard to my computer and started playing around with some Processing MIDI libraries. This is the result after playing "Fur Elise".

What cool things are the rest of you working on?

That stuffz wack yo!

I'm still working on engine stuff for my zombie game. It's going slow, because I'm just not working on it too often, but I mean, the basics are down...very open-ended engine that doesn't have many limitations (in terms of "I want to do this", and I can do it while keeping the code clean and not going out of my way to go around some weird/bad system I have in place)
I gotta write up a design doc to clarify to myself the features I want...but ye. Gotta stick in a graphics pipeline, I'll give ND2D a spin, and some sort of sound pipeline as well, so adding sounds won't be a hassle later on.

Blah, basically I'm writing boiler plate stuff for that past while, but it's fun because this is the best engine I've ever made so far. Happy with it.

P.

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-07 23:17:04 Reply

Smoke more chill out.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-09 15:36:16 Reply

I'm in. I will be doing the jam with a friend this time.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-10 12:45:29 Reply

At 4/9/12 03:36 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
I'm in. I will be doing the jam with a friend this time.

Haxe + NME, so sexy.
Basically I'm using an identical API to AS3, and I can export to Android, Windows, Linux, Flash, and HTML5 even I think. Just shweet shit.
Having an .exe is much more satisfying, plus it isn't just a cheap .swf transformed into a .exe, it actually comes with near-native performance. Just got it all running finally after doing a few tests last night, but speed testing is coming riiight up. (AFAIK, all display handled by NME for Windows or any other platform than Flash is all SDL/OpenGL, hardware accelerated shebang. Plus I can use existing C++ libraries if I so choose. YUM)

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-10 14:17:59 Reply

At 4/10/12 12:45 PM, PSvils wrote: Haxe + NME, so sexy.

So the performance isn't AS great as I was expecting right off the bat, but seeing as I didn't really dive in deep and just used the default Sprite class, I can run 1000 of them full screen at about 43 FPS on the Windows export, and to compare I can get 32 FPS or so with the Flash export, so there is a noticeable difference.

Time to keep exploring this bad-assery that native apps are!

authorblues
authorblues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-11 13:04:25 Reply

Holy crap! This place still exists?

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-11 14:41:15 Reply

At 4/10/12 02:17 PM, PSvils wrote: Time to keep exploring this bad-assery that native apps are!

Yeah, haXe is beautiful, I just compiled my first iPhone app with it a few days ago, and it actually took a lot more time getting Xcode to compile an .ipa without a certificate than it took to learn haXe and make the sample project.

Also, you know how in most flash games, all path finding AI is either crappy, or if it works, it's pretty obvious it's following nodes? Well, I just wrote up this smoother that takes a path like one that would be produced by A* and produces a new, smoother path. Deviation from original path and smoothness can all be controlled by a parameter.

http://4urentertainment.org/storage/Smoothing.swf

Click on nodes to create path. Space to start.

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-11 14:46:16 Reply

Pretty cool

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-11 16:06:08 Reply

At 4/11/12 02:41 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 4/10/12 02:17 PM, PSvils wrote: Time to keep exploring this bad-assery that native apps are!
Yeah, haXe is beautiful, I just compiled my first iPhone app with it a few days ago, and it actually took a lot more time getting Xcode to compile an .ipa without a certificate than it took to learn haXe and make the sample project.

Got my Android compiling today. BTW, could I perhaps use you to compile iPhone apps? (Whenever that will happen...). Not having Mac sucks for that shit :)

Cool path demo, so you basically place control points to create a deviation from the path? It doesn't seem too effective in that sense though. If I were using it, I would prefer to not have to create any additional points, and let the engine take care of smoothing completely on its own.
Working on my Flash game feels so...outdated now that I discovered haXe :D I want to make mobile apps, I want to make an indie game for windows/linux...grrr, I want to do everything, except Flash. The HTML5 export is really cool though, cause it's the bees knees now, and there's lots o' money for that stuff!

P.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-11 16:10:25 Reply

At 4/11/12 02:41 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Also, you know how in most flash games, all path finding AI is either crappy, or if it works, it's pretty obvious it's following nodes? Well, I just wrote up this smoother that takes a path like one that would be produced by A* and produces a new, smoother path. Deviation from original path and smoothness can all be controlled by a parameter.

http://4urentertainment.org/storage/Smoothing.swf

Click on nodes to create path. Space to start.

As long as I make tile-based games, I'm cool with A* :)

Still pretty cool, though. Can you decrease the deviation or add a debug for it? Where it's at now, it seems like it's just tweening to the final position with a slight curve to where the other points are. At the moment, it could walk through buildings and stuff that the nodes are there to avoid.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-12 00:30:41 Reply

At 4/11/12 04:10 PM, MSGhero wrote: As long as I make tile-based games, I'm cool with A* :)

Why just tile-based?

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-12 00:32:11 Reply

At 4/11/12 04:06 PM, PSvils wrote: P.

I attached a picture below to show how it's supposed to work.

It doesn't actually create any new nodes, just moves the current ones.

MSGhero, I updated the demo with a slider to control the smoothness and deviation, so you can lay out a path and play around with the slider and see the path changing.

Here's the demo again: http://www.4urentertainment.org/storage/Smoothing.swf

This was actually part of a class at Udacity where if you have a robotic car that you're laying out a path for, and your A* has gotten the path, but the path is pretty rigid, as in the picture, it goes right, then suddenly down, then left etc.. And a car obviously can't rotate immediately like that.

So the path smoother makes it so that these turns are smoother by minimizing the distance between nodes. So technically, the higher the smoothing parameter, the more the path will be direct and ignore the twists and turns of the original path. But of course you don't want that so you set it to something low.

I really think it could work pretty good. I mean how awesome would it be for an enemy to not go up the wall, turn to pass it, then turn around to go to the player, and instead smoothly go around this wall?

Also:

At 4/11/12 04:06 PM, PSvils wrote: Got my Android compiling today. BTW, could I perhaps use you to compile iPhone apps? (Whenever that will happen...). Not having Mac sucks for that shit :)

Sure! I'd be happy to help.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-12 01:06:42 Reply

@4ur: That pic explains it a lot more, thanks.

@P: If the game is tile-based, no one cares so much if the player hits a hard turn, while that would look glitchy in a free-roam game.

If any of you have played Final Fantasy Tactics or even Fire Emblem, I'm making that. I'll put up a demo soon, got the whole turn-based thing down, movement and jump height restrictions, and attacking is in the works. I'm using a finite state machine, and it's saving so many switch statement headaches :D

alwayssim
alwayssim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-12 03:44:42 Reply

At 4/12/12 12:32 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: It doesn't actually create any new nodes, just moves the current ones.

It looks great, and seems to work, but surely, if you're moving the nodes, you're undermining the purpose of them. For instance, if you cut a corner created by A*, wouldn't you be creating the risk that you'll bump into the wall that A* was avoiding?

Since you've got an adjustable parameter for the system, perhaps you could make it so that it starts with the parameter = 0 and increases it in a while loop until the path hits one of the objects that A* was avoiding. Then you could find the perfect parameter to create the smoothest possible path without hitting any objects. Or to get even smoother, split the path into smaller sections and make it so that each section can have a different value for the parameter.

Alternatively, you could modify A* so that if a node is next to a wall, it records it as a 'special' node. Then in your code, it could make sure it only moves the nodes that aren't 'special'. This still runs the risk that if you move a node too much it could move next to a wall without being recorded as a 'special'. Perhaps you'd have to make it so that the maximum distance a node can be moved is the distance between two nodes.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-12 11:54:14 Reply

At 4/12/12 03:44 AM, alwayssim wrote:
At 4/12/12 12:32 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: It doesn't actually create any new nodes, just moves the current ones.
It looks great, and seems to work, but surely, if you're moving the nodes, you're undermining the purpose of them. For instance, if you cut a corner created by A*, wouldn't you be creating the risk that you'll bump into the wall that A* was avoiding?

Since you've got an adjustable parameter for the system, perhaps you could make it so that it starts with the parameter = 0 and increases it in a while loop until the path hits one of the objects that A* was avoiding. Then you could find the perfect parameter to create the smoothest possible path without hitting any objects. Or to get even smoother, split the path into smaller sections and make it so that each section can have a different value for the parameter.

Alternatively, you could modify A* so that if a node is next to a wall, it records it as a 'special' node. Then in your code, it could make sure it only moves the nodes that aren't 'special'. This still runs the risk that if you move a node too much it could move next to a wall without being recorded as a 'special'. Perhaps you'd have to make it so that the maximum distance a node can be moved is the distance between two nodes.

That was one of the problems I was thinking about...For path smoothing I would prefer to use a technique where the smoothing happens locally, so the object itself smooths its path, rather than the path itself being smoothed for it. I'll try cooking up a sample sometime, but I also want to use polygons for my pathfinding rather than nodes, which gives enough info for each body to handle smoothing/realism on its own.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-04-13 11:50:25 Reply

Hey guys. Speaking of Ludum Dare coming up, I recently finish a remake of my game from the previous Ludum Dare. I could really use some feedback. Would anyone feel up to giving it a run through and giving me their thoughts or bug findings? It's a short game only about 3-5 minutes.

BBS Signature