New Topic Respond to this Topic
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 13:09:00 Reply

I think a dedicated game development forum would be cool, as long as you left the programming one, and probably a separate one for AS as well.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 14:37:30 Reply

At 10/1/12 01:09 PM, MintPaw wrote: I think a dedicated game development forum would be cool, as long as you left the programming one, and probably a separate one for AS as well.

we already have a forum for AS.
Though it seems more and more like new people just flat-out ignore that forum and post AS questions elsewhere. Is it the layout, maybe?

Anyway: i'm not entirely sure what use a Game Dev forum would serve, to be honest. I mean, what would go in it?

Side-note: I got back to work on a multiplayer in AS.
Using AIR for sockets and config files because it's much faster than going through PHP via URLLoader. (3-10ms vs. 600+ms)

Too bad I can't submit a finished project to NG like that :(

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 14:45:57 Reply

At 10/1/12 02:37 PM, egg82 wrote: Anyway: i'm not entirely sure what use a Game Dev forum would serve, to be honest. I mean, what would go in it?

Stuff like this, or this, or more o this.

If Newgrounds isn't that, though, then I can just carry on going other places.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 15:00:21 Reply

At 10/1/12 02:37 PM, egg82 wrote: Anyway: i'm not entirely sure what use a Game Dev forum would serve, to be honest. I mean, what would go in it?

I-smel already replied but I had a little speech going on sooo...

Game design and game programming are two very different things. The flash forum right now is all about the technical aspects of creating a game.

Game design, arguably the most important job in games, involves discussions of what makes games fun, game concepts, and how you could make your game more fun or engaging, or how for example you could get people playing your game for long. Or level design, and what makes a good level. Or perhaps discussions of what your game's purpose is. Are you trying to entertain? Are you trying to convey a message? Are you experimenting with a new mechanic?

I believe we talked about this a few pages back.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 15:50:09 Reply

At 10/1/12 02:45 PM, I-smel wrote: Stuff like this, or this, or more o this.

I checked out your newspost. Well, checking out. Still watching all the vids :P

At 10/1/12 03:00 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: I-smel already replied but I had a little speech going on sooo...

haha, that's fine.

Game design and game programming are two very different things. The flash forum right now is all about the technical aspects of creating a game.

true, but the reg lounges serve that purpose pretty well. That's what I was referring to :P

my worry is that the forum will just be used as a dump for "Hey, look at this!" threads.

Game design, arguably the most important job in games, involves discussions of what makes games fun, game concepts, and how you could make your game more fun or engaging, or how for example you could get people playing your game for long. Or level design, and what makes a good level. Or perhaps discussions of what your game's purpose is. Are you trying to entertain? Are you trying to convey a message? Are you experimenting with a new mechanic?

I agree, but see above.

I believe we talked about this a few pages back.

I try to keep up with the lounges, but I fall behind at points.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 16:46:20 Reply

At 10/1/12 11:38 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/30/12 02:09 PM, I-smel wrote: I'm actually kinda waitin for this game design forum, I hope it's an actual thing now.
I've still been on the fence. I get nervous that every attempt I make to improve NG ends up destroying some cherished pocket of community that I never fully comprehended, so the site just keeps getting more "technically correct" while becoming vacant of the people and spirit that made it fun to start with.

At the same time, those cherished pockets of community more likely move on when we DON'T make things correct fast enough. It's like the chicken or the egg.

Game design forum would probably end up having some decent discussions, and like a million "HEY GUYS I DESIGNED THIS GAME ANYONE WANT TO PROGRAM AND ART IT FOR ME?"

But having a nice game design forum would be pretty cool, since I don't have a design forum I visit anymore since I left tigsource. Other than this cool private indie skype chat, which is neat cause we can discuss things we don't want to make public yet.

Anyway might wanna consider limiting posting/creating topics to people who have been credited on a game on NG if you make a design forum, just to tone down some of the noise.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 17:37:35 Reply

I don't think there being too much noise is that scary of a problem, I think nobody using it is main fear. I mean y'know, it's mostly going on in this ONE THREAD.
That's always the kind of thing you can add later anyway.

I was gonna say "oh man I wish I had a secret game design circle!" but then again I can still make everything public anyway.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 17:56:19 Reply

At 10/1/12 05:37 PM, I-smel wrote: I don't think there being too much noise is that scary of a problem, I think nobody using it is main fear. I mean y'know, it's mostly going on in this ONE THREAD.

no, if it's here then people will use it. That's pretty much a given. The question is: What will it be used for?

okay, so say it doesn't get used. Damn, that sucks. Oh well, nothing more after that.
however, I always plan for the worst and hope for the best. So: What happens if it gets overused and completely abused? What do we do then?

I was gonna say "oh man I wish I had a secret game design circle!" but then again I can still make everything public anyway.

Although the idea of being in some sort of "private indie dev circle for privileged eyes only" sounds really fun (and kinda cool :P) - it's ultimately pointless and completely defeats the purpose of being an indie dev.

... and along comes github!

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 21:20:01 Reply

I agree with Tyler that "Game Design Forum" would have tons of people asking about MAKING games rather than the theory of game design and stuff (if you get what I mean). If you could name it something more specific to game design theory rather than "hey, we make games," you'd probably see more proper use of it, though of course there will still be those people.... Or have a sticky thr--wait no one reads those.

Also, my artist is alive! My game might be finished at some point!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-01 21:47:59 Reply

At 10/1/12 09:20 PM, MSGhero wrote: Or have a sticky thr--wait no one reads those.

ahahahahaha- oh, wait, that's true...

Also, my artist is alive! My game might be finished at some point!

congrats! :D
now go and finish your game :P

BBS Signature
OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-02 01:20:03 Reply

Y'know that new NG header logo is really starting to grow on me.

I still really really think "Everything by Everyone" should be brought back It was a beautiful slogan :'(

MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-02 02:15:43 Reply

it would be fantastic if there where a game design forum, I surely would post more.
As egg said the lounge do cover (some) of the game design stuff. However this mainly consists of just a few newgrounds regulars, and its a little intimidating to just join in after 60k+ posts and starting back in 2006.
So its a bit hard for newer members/others that aren't active in flash but are in other section of game making such as mobile and 3d stuff which newgrounds is currently cutting off.

Just my two cents.

DannyDaNinja
DannyDaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-02 02:29:01 Reply

I would actually come to Newgrounds every day if there was a game design forum :O

I'ld be great, we could all talk about design theories and why hot girls and zombies give flash games high ratings no matter what.

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-04 19:06:31 Reply

I keep telling myself I want to learn C++, but I have no real good excuse to use it right now. I've been doing a lot of ruby, ActionScript, Java, and Javascript over the last year. Also headers files and why? Also "->" and "*" and "::" and "~" and memory management, oh my. It would be fun, though.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 00:30:48 Reply

At 10/4/12 07:06 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I keep telling myself I want to learn C++, but I have no real good excuse to use it right now.

Haxe keeping you away? Yeah...me too...

inquisitorlee
inquisitorlee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 03:49:20 Reply

Can someone enlighten me as to what this "lounge" is for?

=)

-What is that thing called?
-That thing is called.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 03:52:50 Reply

At 10/5/12 03:49 AM, inquisitorlee wrote: Can someone enlighten me as to what this "lounge" is for?

=)

Here you go: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/578434/1#bbspost10466452 _post_text

inquisitorlee
inquisitorlee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 05:03:01 Reply

Thank you but I still don't get it.

What is this lounge really for? I have an idea that this is a "miscellaneous kinda thread" but what's the purpose for this lounge? Is it good for Newgrounds? I just read the OP is veered against this kind of lounge.

So what gives - politely?

=)

-What is that thing called?
-That thing is called.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 06:04:44 Reply

At 10/5/12 05:03 AM, inquisitorlee wrote: Thank you but I still don't get it.

What is this lounge really for? I have an idea that this is a "miscellaneous kinda thread" but what's the purpose for this lounge? Is it good for Newgrounds? I just read the OP is veered against this kind of lounge.

So what gives - politely?

=)

...what?

People talk about the flash scene here. What's confusing you so much?

Take a look at a few pages from the thread and you'll get a feel for the kind of discussion that goes on. Some of it is profound debates about the state of Flash/programming/art/games/newgrounds etc.., while others is just general chit chat between regularly active members here.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 08:43:19 Reply

At 10/5/12 05:03 AM, inquisitorlee wrote: So what gives - politely?

Imagine a bunch of AS programmers just chilling in a room with big comfy chairs and lots of doughnuts and coffee. That's pretty much the lounge.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 11:37:24 Reply

At 10/5/12 08:43 AM, egg82 wrote: Imagine a bunch of AS programmers just chilling in a room with big comfy chairs and lots of doughnuts and coffee. That's pretty much the lounge.

Except someone eats all the doughnuts before any one else gets any.

So, game jam. I'm going home for fall break that weekend, so hopefully I won't have to family fun time all weekend and still get a chance to participate...
When's the sign up thread gonna be posted...

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 12:10:33 Reply

Is smoking allowed in the lounge. I dont think ive ever asked...

Speaking of smoke. I'm always impressed with the different solutions programmers come up with when dealing with smoke. even on like triple A titles, theres some neat solutions of handling smoke. I feel like its one of those things that youll never really master, both as an animator and a programmer. Its just so unpredictable.

None

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 12:30:58 Reply

At 10/5/12 12:10 PM, Luis wrote: Is smoking allowed in the lounge. I dont think ive ever asked...

there's a smoking and non-smoking section, I think.

At 10/5/12 11:37 AM, MSGhero wrote: Except someone eats all the doughnuts before any one else gets any.

oh, did you want one?

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 12:38:54 Reply

At 10/5/12 11:37 AM, MSGhero wrote: So, game jam. I'm going home for fall break that weekend, so hopefully I won't have to family fun time all weekend and still get a chance to participate...
When's the sign up thread gonna be posted...

I'm still really on the fence about the jam. I want to erase the last jam from my "last submission" and make a game the right way, but at the same time I dunno if I want to do another so soon...

BBS Signature
OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 12:47:00 Reply

At 10/5/12 12:10 PM, Luis wrote: Is smoking allowed in the lounge. I dont think ive ever asked...

Speaking of smoke. I'm always impressed with the different solutions programmers come up with when dealing with smoke. even on like triple A titles, theres some neat solutions of handling smoke. I feel like its one of those things that youll never really master, both as an animator and a programmer. Its just so unpredictable.

I remember I wanted to make a smoke effect in the last game jam, and I remembered The Company Of Myself had an awesome smoke effect. So I opened it up only to realize the smoke was pre-rendered as a PNG sequence (apparently there was this royalty free smoke effect they modified) and checking out its prequel, the smoke was dynamic but didn't look nearly as good. I started searching for tutorials and realized all the ones I found in AS3 sucked and the others that were in C++ didn't have a demo so I would have to implement the code before I could see whether it was any good.

Sooo yeah, someone should make a good smoke effect in flash then release the source.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 14:04:21 Reply

I'm learning :D

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-05 16:19:19 Reply

At 10/5/12 12:47 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Sooo yeah, someone should make a good smoke effect in flash then release the source.

I might be taking fluid dynamics next semester, so I'll work on it then when I actually comprehend what those articles are talking about :)

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-06 10:53:59 Reply

At 10/5/12 12:10 PM, Luis wrote: I feel like its one of those things that youll never really master, both as an animator and a programmer. Its just so unpredictable.

Also, I forgot to say, I'm really curious, what kind of impressive smoke-solutions have you recently come across?

At 10/5/12 04:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: I might be taking fluid dynamics next semester, so I'll work on it then when I actually comprehend what those articles are talking about :)

That sounds really cool! I'm in the process of applying for colleges in the US, what courses/major are you taking, and what university are you in? (Also, what are your thoughts on each?)

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-06 12:34:08 Reply

At 10/6/12 10:53 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That sounds really cool! I'm in the process of applying for colleges in the US, what courses/major are you taking, and what university are you in? (Also, what are your thoughts on each?)

I'm a mech engineer major and applying for a comp sci minor (taking Java now). Also taking DiffEq, dynamics, and engineering graphics (AutoCAD and Inventor) at Georgia Tech. On each college? Ivy league unis are overpriced and elitist, GATech is overpriced but really good (70-30 guy girl ratio though x.x), and there's plenty more colleges with pros and cons. Which one(s) are you looking at and for what major?

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-10-07 15:14:01 Reply

At 10/6/12 10:53 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That sounds really cool! I'm in the process of applying for colleges in the US, what courses/major are you taking, and what university are you in? (Also, what are your thoughts on each?)

Oh, god, college apps. I'm going through the application process as well, and because I'm applying to places like MIT I have to write a shitton of essays.

Yuck.

Also, have any of you ever used LaTeX? That plus Maple make my math homework sexier than ever.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge