00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,881,069 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-25 19:45:03

At 7/25/16 06:13 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 7/25/16 05:59 PM, egg82 wrote: Edit: Is it Halloween already?
What is holloweenish about a purple totem?

It's more the spooky aspect of it that caught me off guard at first.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-25 19:46:41

At 7/25/16 07:45 PM, MSGhero wrote: It's more the spooky aspect of it that caught me off guard at first.

This. Also it really does look slightly creepy in a "toy-doll" sense.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 05:43:01

At 7/25/16 05:59 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 7/25/16 05:30 PM, Sam wrote: @MSGhero pls no
Why do you hate yourself?

It's for efficiency. Fingers travel less distance... or something...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 08:28:25

At 7/25/16 05:30 PM, Sam wrote:
At 7/24/16 09:20 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I recommend switch to WASD + Arrows for move and attack, respectively. IJKL is tough on the wrist.
@MSGhero pls no

If the key bindings can be changed by the player then this problem would be averted.

I also have no idea how you could use such a goofy keyboard. You don't code with that thing, do you?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 11:35:48

At 7/26/16 08:28 AM, Diki wrote:
At 7/25/16 05:30 PM, Sam wrote:
At 7/24/16 09:20 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I recommend switch to WASD + Arrows for move and attack, respectively. IJKL is tough on the wrist.
@MSGhero pls no
If the key bindings can be changed by the player then this problem would be averted.

I also have no idea how you could use such a goofy keyboard. You don't code with that thing, do you?

Only thing it's really missing is the arrow keys, which you get used to with the FN key and I don't use the numpad much anyway.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 14:30:55

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 15:23:01 (edited 2016-07-26 15:23:44)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haxeflixel

Flixel is having a fundraiser for the founder to work full time on the lib (it needs it badly), and it's almost funded already.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 17:32:37

At 7/26/16 03:23 PM, MSGhero wrote: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haxeflixel

Flixel is having a fundraiser for the founder to work full time on the lib (it needs it badly), and it's almost funded already.

at first I wondered why he didn't just do a Patreon. Then I saw Patreon getting $125 a month compared to IndieGoGo getting what appears to be 2550 with most of a month left to continue funding

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 17:36:22 (edited 2016-07-26 17:37:11)

At 7/26/16 05:32 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 7/26/16 03:23 PM, MSGhero wrote: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haxeflixel

at first I wondered why he didn't just do a Patreon. Then I saw Patreon getting $125 a month compared to IndieGoGo getting what appears to be 2550 with most of a month left to continue funding

EDIT: The Flesh to Stone fun pack listed there was made by my buddy Ted.

Acutal Edit, I guess I hit reply instead of edit, accidentally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 17:53:39 (edited 2016-07-26 17:55:25)

All this, this, and this tells me is that you don't give a shit about security. There is no reason I should be seeing any of those in 2016.

By the way, all of those are from the same company, on different sites. I'm pretty sure nobody there knows how to HTTPS.

Edit: Damnit, NG - why do you hate me?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 20:54:38 (edited 2016-07-26 20:54:55)

At 7/26/16 05:53 PM, egg82 wrote: All this, this, and this tells me is that you don't give a shit about security. There is no reason I should be seeing any of those in 2016.

By the way, all of those are from the same company, on different sites. I'm pretty sure nobody there knows how to HTTPS.

Edit: Damnit, NG - why do you hate me?

There's an option now to force your game to be served on https, which is cool. I'm not sure what the benefits are to not doing that, though. Seems like it should be the default.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-26 22:36:29

At 7/26/16 08:54 PM, MSGhero wrote: There's an option now to force your game to be served on https, which is cool. I'm not sure what the benefits are to not doing that, though. Seems like it should be the default.

Useless if insecure resources are still being loaded onto the page.
Good thought, though.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-27 16:08:44

At 7/26/16 02:30 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: get in the tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTe5i-jEYTs

Wow. Crazy perspective.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-27 18:30:02 (edited 2016-07-27 18:51:21)

This should be fun.
Edit: Heh

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-27 22:11:09

At 7/27/16 06:30 PM, egg82 wrote: This should be fun.
Edit: Heh

Sounds like your troubles are over

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-28 14:42:13

At 7/27/16 10:11 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Sounds like your troubles are over

Sounds like theirs have just begun. I've just signed them up for every spam service available.
http://www.mailbait.info/

This also looks like something I can play with. I love getting junk e-mail, it helps me sharpen my hacking skills :D

I don't think I ever had a MeetMe account, but alright.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-28 20:32:56

At 7/28/16 02:42 PM, egg82 wrote: I've just signed them up for every spam service available.
http://www.mailbait.info/

Meh, any spam email is guaranteed to be from a throw-away account. also I bet most junk filters can handle it anyways.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-28 22:28:22 (edited 2016-07-28 22:31:18)

At 7/28/16 08:32 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Meh, any spam email is guaranteed to be from a throw-away account. also I bet most junk filters can handle it anyways.

The intent is to make it incredibly difficult for them to sift through the junk e-mail to find the real responses. I try to find ways of making things as hard as possible for scammers because it's fun and it helps me find new and creative ways of doing things :)

Actually, I'm now thinking there might be an even better way of making things hard for "reply to x" scammers by sending them hundreds of thousands of fake replies with spoofed "from" headers. I'm sure I can build a program for something like that..

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 18:19:51

Have to redo most if not all pathing.

Ugh

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 20:35:49 (edited 2016-07-31 20:36:23)

At 7/24/16 07:06 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: If you're concerned about rigid looking paths you could look into path smoothing algorithms.

I did a bit of research on path smoothing, but it seems like that requires what amounts to ray traces or convex casts, up to one per tile in the path, which is my current bottleneck and wouldn't be good with multiple enemies.

Looking at an algo called Theta* which can do angles in path planning. Might need to nix nape's raycast if this requires it though, and use a less granular less good approach.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 20:52:02 (edited 2016-07-31 20:52:51)

At 7/31/16 08:35 PM, MSGhero wrote: Looking at an algo called Theta* which can do angles in path planning. Might need to nix nape's raycast if this requires it though, and use a less granular less good approach.

I feel like something is fundamentally wrong, here, if you're saying pathfinding (raytracing, of all things) is slowing your game down. That may not be what you're saying, but it seems like it. If that's the case, finding an efficient algorithm isn't going to solve anything until you figure out what is actually causing the bottleneck - if MMOs can pathfind millions of NPCs at once on a server you can pathfind a few on a modern PC (The pathfinding itself may not actually be the problem)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 21:57:01 (edited 2016-07-31 21:59:28)

At 7/31/16 08:52 PM, egg82 wrote: I feel like something is fundamentally wrong, here, if you're saying pathfinding (raytracing, of all things) is slowing your game down. That may not be what you're saying, but it seems like it. If that's the case, finding an efficient algorithm isn't going to solve anything until you figure out what is actually causing the bottleneck - if MMOs can pathfind millions of NPCs at once on a server you can pathfind a few on a modern PC (The pathfinding itself may not actually be the problem)

Ok when I said bottleneck I meant I don't like how many times the raytracer is being called given that so many edge cases still exist and that there is one fundamental edge case that cannot be solved no matter how many raytraces I use but I see it happen often enough that I want to fix it.

I *need* a new algo, and it just so happens that flash — which is not an MMO server — starts to visually tear when enough enemies start raytracing. They only do it 6 times per second, but that's enough to impact the visual framerate. I still run 60 fps just fine, but it doesn't look like it.

Plus, it's nape raytracing, not some 20 line snippet.

Edit: I sometimes draw the nodes during pathfinding, which actually impacts the framerate

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 22:12:36 (edited 2016-07-31 22:16:14)

At 7/31/16 09:57 PM, MSGhero wrote: Ok when I said bottleneck I meant I don't like how many times the raytracer is being called given that so many edge cases still exist and that there is one fundamental edge case that cannot be solved no matter how many raytraces I use but I see it happen often enough that I want to fix it.

I *need* a new algo, and it just so happens that flash — which is not an MMO server — starts to visually tear when enough enemies start raytracing. They only do it 6 times per second, but that's enough to impact the visual framerate. I still run 60 fps just fine, but it doesn't look like it.

Not saying your code is bad or anything, just saying there might be something fundamentally broken. I've had this happen a lot to me, where I would try to fix something and go for workaround after workaround, and then I finally decide to go and fix the thing that was actually broken in the first place (or find it and then fix it) and everything works beautifully again.

Again, the pathfinding algorithm may not be the problem. Especially since it's NAPE, I assume it's not. I'm saying there might be something else wrong with the codebase that's causing things to slow down to a crawl and you might want to inspect other things that are going on. I don't expect AS3 to run an MMO server or anything, but at the same time it should be capable of handling some client + server-side code with pathfinding just fine (I've done it myself)

From what you're saying I think it might be an issue with Flash having everything tied to framerate. If you set two timers (one for drawing, one for updating) everything should be much smoother- especially if the update timer is tied to the sound card rather than the video card. There's a library for it on github somewhere, I just can't remember where exactly.

My framework also uses separate timers for update and draw functions, if you'd like to take a quick look at the StateEngine class?

Edit: Found the timer. It's called Metronome. There's a newer one that might be better, though, since it doesn't need a sound card to run. It's called Timekeeper. I haven't looked into that one much, but it looks interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 22:40:39 (edited 2016-07-31 22:43:06)

At 7/31/16 10:12 PM, egg82 wrote: Not saying your code is bad or anything, just saying there might be something fundamentally broken. I've had this happen a lot to me, where I would try to fix something and go for workaround after workaround, and then I finally decide to go and fix the thing that was actually broken in the first place (or find it and then fix it) and everything works beautifully again.

Ok bottleneck wasn't the right word to use in this forum haha. It's a memory leak* which is why the visual framerate is being reduced. I'm using less than 30% of my 16.7 ms every frame except for when I draw my pathing nodes. I generate an excess of nodes to try to mitigate the edge cases which exacerbates the memory usage (ray traces between all nodes), and edge cases still persist. So I need a whole new solution. If theta* uses ray traces, I'm probably going to avoid nape's implementation since I believe tracing over a 2d array is faster than tracing over polygon space.

*It's not really a leak, it's unavoidable memory usage due to reflection/enums with parameters. It might be avoidable with haxe macros, but I don't understand those well enough to generate functions at compile time. It would be baller if I do, though: faster execution and less memory usage. The leak is slow enough that the GC doesn't kick in in a reasonable amount of time, but fast enough that the visual tearing occurs after a while (which I've never actually understood). Things are dealloc'd properly I believe, just chilling.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 22:58:08 (edited 2016-07-31 22:59:15)

Knowing nape, though, raytracing there might be faster than tracing over a 2D array depending on the granularity. I have to assume nape is just doing 3 dot products and 3 bitwise ANDs per edge in the space.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-07-31 23:48:41

At 7/31/16 10:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: *It's not really a leak, it's unavoidable memory usage due to reflection/enums with parameters. It might be avoidable with haxe macros, but I don't understand those well enough to generate functions at compile time. It would be baller if I do, though: faster execution and less memory usage. The leak is slow enough that the GC doesn't kick in in a reasonable amount of time, but fast enough that the visual tearing occurs after a while (which I've never actually understood). Things are dealloc'd properly I believe, just chilling.

Ah, I see. You could try adding an "OOM panic" and manually force GC when mem hits a certain percentage used. Either call System.GC() or allocate a lot of memory really quickly and then release it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-08-01 03:39:48

Wanted to wait a while to share so I didn't end up with two posts, but I've been busy this weekend!

New website
New shirts: 1 2 3 4 5

Whaddya think? The website was done in less than a day, but I think it came out pretty alright.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-08-01 10:18:40

At 8/1/16 03:39 AM, egg82 wrote: Wanted to wait a while to share so I didn't end up with two posts, but I've been busy this weekend!

New website
New shirts: 1 2 3 4 5

Whaddya think? The website was done in less than a day, but I think it came out pretty alright.

Website looks good, I like shirt 2 the best, and I promise people will ask you for webdev no matter what you say.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-08-01 13:54:10

At 8/1/16 03:39 AM, egg82 wrote: Whaddya think? The website was done in less than a day, but I think it came out pretty alright.

One small correction: Java is not an ECMAScript dialect. Not sure about C#, but I would double check. Site looks good!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2016-08-01 13:55:49

At 7/31/16 10:58 PM, MSGhero wrote: Knowing nape, though, raytracing there might be faster than tracing over a 2D array depending on the granularity. I have to assume nape is just doing 3 dot products and 3 bitwise ANDs per edge in the space.

The code for Nape is open source, right ? Does it make sense to dig into the code a little bit and learn more about what is actually happening in the engine ?