MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-02 21:33:07 Reply

Coding a pathfinder in MATLAB is significantly harder than doing so in AS3. I think I'd die if I had to take a serious non-OOP class

My phone can handle stage3d and your computer can't? :3 Is it that your graphics card can't handle it, or has Adobe just restricted use to more recent cards?

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-03 03:05:27 Reply

At 5 hours ago, MSGhero wrote: Coding a pathfinder in MATLAB is significantly harder than doing so in AS3. I think I'd die if I had to take a serious non-OOP class

My phone can handle stage3d and your computer can't? :3 Is it that your graphics card can't handle it, or has Adobe just restricted use to more recent cards?

Well I don't see why Adobe would restrict more recent cards, but also my card isn't "more recent". It's an integrated GPU of some sort, shitty overall. But Adobe said they'll be adding support and stuff, so I'll wait and see.

knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-04 17:11:26 Reply

Hey this is neat! Write Javascript games with Actionscript :)

FlashJS

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-04 17:28:21 Reply

Sup NG

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-05 02:31:50 Reply

At 9 hours ago, knugen wrote: Hey this is neat! Write Javascript games with Actionscript :)

FlashJS

That is way cool!

I will definitely use that whenever I need to do some fancy javascript graphics stuff, will definitely boost my productivity. Hell, I would've used it already if I'd have known about it :(

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-05 17:28:55 Reply

Hatched some NAPE out of its egg and started cooking. Yum.

No Starling this time though.

El-Presidente
El-Presidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-05 20:47:07 Reply

Wooooooooooooooah,

I feel like I'm tripping balls on this new Newgrounds...

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS
8=================================>
...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-07 10:39:45 Reply

At 1 hour ago, citricsquid wrote: potentially relevant to some: unity3d is free til april http://unity3d.com/mobile/

Well, the mobile version that is. Unity indie is always free.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-07 16:14:07 Reply

At 1 day ago, PSvils wrote: Hatched some NAPE out of its egg and started cooking. Yum.

And what a lovely feast it is. Months of work I did on a collision engine a year ago replaced by one night of playing with NAPE. Adding a new object? Poof, write 3 lines of code, and BAM, runs beautifully.

Gr, this shit's so good. I have some engine problemos to solve, but otherwise I think I'll have a quick engine design in the next week*, and then it'll be all about sticking in some zombies, some weapons, some story line, yay.

*In the next week refers to months of procrastination and unforeseen bugs

What is everyone else up to?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-07 17:32:43 Reply

At 1 hour ago, PSvils wrote: Stuff about NAPE and breakfast
What is everyone else up to?

MATLAB homework, sadly. Cuz we need to learn high and low-level file I/O for a program we'll never use.

In AS3-land, that bug in my pathfinder that someone pointed out is cuz I cheated a bit, so I'm re-re-re-rewriting it to take care of everything.

I'm also in the mood for a < 1 week project, if any of you have suggestions. I haven't finished anything in a while, and my only experience with a time limit was in the Game Jam when my code died temporarily :(

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-09 12:20:44 Reply

At 1 day ago, PSvils wrote: What is everyone else up to?

Working full time job. I wanted to redo my ludum dare game at some point. I had an artist redo all the artwork and it's a lot prettier now. It's hard to find the time to work on it though. Last weekend I went to FGS in San Francisco and met a lot of cool flash game developers. It was kind of sensory overload, but I think I got something out of it.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-10 08:04:54 Reply

At 19 hours ago, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 1 day ago, PSvils wrote: What is everyone else up to?
Working full time job. I wanted to redo my ludum dare game at some point. I had an artist redo all the artwork and it's a lot prettier now.

God damn that game hurt my eyes from all the scrolling.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-10 13:53:59 Reply

At 5 hours ago, Sam wrote: God damn that game hurt my eyes from all the scrolling.

Thanks for feedback. Would you say it just scrolls too fast or too jolty or what ? Maybe I will play around with the scrolling some more in the new version.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-11 03:32:28 Reply

Hello Flashers, Captain here. Im looking for a programmer to develop a flash game, this will be my first one and im interested in short term/long term collaboration. I have a game im designing at the moment, i would be in charge of Art/Directing. I allow creative flexibility while working. And like i said before, im fresh meat to flash games so i dont expect perfection.

Im not looking to work with any particular framework so that would be up to you based off of my description of the game further on.

You can more info on my news feed.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-12 16:49:38 Reply

We should all ditch game development and join the japs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdPPEwguDQ

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-17 05:29:09 Reply

thought you programmers might enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pmSPlYHxoY

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-18 07:22:52 Reply

I remember I used to spend most of time on this thread a while back, and I didn't (and still) even know how to program.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-18 07:41:53 Reply

At 17 minutes ago, Farza wrote: and I didn't (and still) even know how to program.

you can't say things that are gramatically incompatible with the rest of the sentence just because they're parenthesized.

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-18 09:25:48 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Toast wrote:
At 17 minutes ago, Farza wrote: and I didn't (and still) even know how to program.
you can't say things that are gramatically incompatible with the rest of the sentence just because they're parenthesized.

Yeah I saw that. I was thinking to myself whether or not I should change it, then I wanted a bagel. So hopefully, JUST THIS ONCE, you will let my mistake slide.

anyone know what happened to hdxMike?

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-22 01:28:45 Reply

WHOOOAAAAAAAA I had to go back a page to find this thread...

Debugging isometric games is hard. Really hard. Cuz of this crap. I freaked out when an illusion like that caused my program to "glitch" for a moment, after I had squeezed 300 lines down to a better-functioning 100.

So yeah, that was my spring break...

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-22 01:48:07 Reply

At 17 minutes ago, MSGhero wrote: WHOOOAAAAAAAA I had to go back a page to find this thread...

Debugging isometric games is hard. Really hard. Cuz of this crap. I freaked out when an illusion like that caused my program to "glitch" for a moment, after I had squeezed 300 lines down to a better-functioning 100.

So yeah, that was my spring break...

I have my zombie game architechture setup mostly, and so far the player and weapons are running in the game, plus player dragging of objects.
Up next is items, which should be real easy.

Progressing slowly...

CodeCrunch
CodeCrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-25 12:40:33 Reply

Not trying to hate or anything, but the new Newgrounds design is uncomfortable and it feels less consistent than the previous one.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-28 20:16:19 Reply

G59D-KRNQ-RBRL

you guys probably know what this is for

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-28 20:49:51 Reply

At 3/28/12 08:16 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: G59D-KRNQ-RBRL

you guys probably know what this is for

CONGRATZ DUDE!!!

I would grab a copy, but my PS3 is back home :(

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 02:51:07 Reply

assuming no one is posting here anymore because they are all playing The Game

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 05:11:56 Reply

At 3/29/12 02:51 AM, Starogre wrote: assuming no one is posting here anymore because they are all playing The Game

Y U NO XBOX

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 13:28:17 Reply

At 3/29/12 05:11 AM, knugen wrote:
At 3/29/12 02:51 AM, Starogre wrote: assuming no one is posting here anymore because they are all playing The Game
Y U NO XBOX

it's business. ask them

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
raidthewood
raidthewood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 22:04:48 Reply

Hello reg lounge: Sorry for this obtrusive and off-topic post but I'm just dying to know. Considering Kongregates recent implementation of HTML5 games, and adobe's press release stating they no longer support mobile flash, where does that leave us developers?

I've dont only a bit of research into HTML5 but from what I've gathered it looks rather-- dangerous, at least in a portal environment. Requiring complete integration into the page it is posted on. Also, the "code" being SO open sourced doesn't seem like such a fantastic idea in every application. I don't even want to get into the nightmare of debugging. I love flash, it makes creating quality content {graphically at least} loads faster, and much more practical! I tried learning a bit of that odd html5 game method but it was-- awkward to say the least. I cannot even imagine how much of a pain it would be to employ smooth, many framed character animations. All pros and cons accounted for, what do you guys think this will do to Newgrounds and flash in general?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 22:20:32 Reply

At 3/29/12 10:04 PM, raidthewood wrote: Hello reg lounge: Sorry for this obtrusive and off-topic post but I'm just dying to know. Considering Kongregates recent implementation of HTML5 games, and adobe's press release stating they no longer support mobile flash, where does that leave us developers?

Adobe quit mobile flash cuz it sucked. They're using AIR now for apps, which is sooooooo much better. Mobile browsing without Flash is meh... Flash is so pervasive that it won't change much. Everyone has Flash installed, and the average user doesn't care whether the game was made in Flash or with HTML5. Hundreds of thousands of people aren't going to completely ditch Flash games for HTML5 when they're playing the game to have fun.

We're fine :) Adobe is rolling out more Stage3D support and other fun stuff later this year, so GPU accelerated content will be able to run on any computer or smartphone.

raidthewood
raidthewood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-03-29 22:40:57 Reply

Sounds reasonable, I jumped to the assumption they were just trashing flash in general... and yea flash mobile did suck.