MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 14:21:13 Reply

At 10/21/11 12:33 PM, PSvils wrote: Mine's pretty new, and yes, from my own tests on the desktop too, it runs in software, not hardware... :/

And if you want a 2.5D effect, why would you use ND2D? That's just for 2D rendering. If you want some 3D/effect, then get down with Away3D or something. I have a cool idea for a project where I will probably pick that up.

Nuuuuuuuuu I wanted to learn ND2D for the 2D platformer, which I'll prolly work on while I figure out 2.5D stuff.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 14:33:09 Reply

At 10/21/11 02:18 PM, fixplz wrote: Acceleration support does look shabby. I'm sure they have some reasonable grounding for why they disabled the drivers they did (three out of three of your computers?), but it makes it quite unusable.

Given by how you were excited about the release of this but not Unity (..IIRC), I'd say you're a bit oblivious to HOW FUCKING INCOMPETENT Adobe is.

Unity is better in every way, from graphics support to API design to language choice to script performance. The runtime installs instantly and the IDE is free.

Do you see what Unity is going for?

Meanwhile Adobe's big platform additions (10.1 was it?), the amazing typed vectors and byte access bytecodes, often manage to be slower than normal array access. Facepalm.

The opcodes apparently really are like 10x slower than the actual eg. C operations. No words.

I've always been very very skeptical of Adobe, and with Molehill the initial impression was that they finally did something right. But apparently, they still manage to fuck up somehow... (2/2 of my computers btw)

I know that Unity I guess has all the advantages, except popularity. The only reason for me to stick with Flash is a) I don't need all the extra firepower Unity offers all the time, and b) plugin penetration. I can see Unity being good for major online game releases, where a user is prepared to download something just to play that game, but for casual gamers...well, yeah, I'm sure everyone's had this discussion already at some point :D
(I mean..."yay FP10, you can now draw triangles with accurate UV mapping! BUT, you can't realistically use it in anything more complex than our tech demo's at Adobe MAX!")

I plan to go into C++ dev soon after I finish a few simple game ideas I have stacked up that are suitable for Flash.

(I might seem pretty bipolar with Adobe, but overall I don't like them. They screw up their IDE, and just fuck up their platform. I was just really excited about Molehill partly because I guess I fell for the hype a tad, and it legit seemed like a step in the right direction, but that step is apparently very small)

I love ranting about this stuff, don't I...
At 10/21/11 02:21 PM, MSGhero wrote: Nuuuuuuuuu I wanted to learn ND2D for the 2D platformer, which I'll prolly work on while I figure out 2.5D stuff.

Ahaa, gotcha! (Couldn't tell you were talking about 2 different projects :) )

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 18:35:53 Reply

The company is pretty irrelevant. You aren't choosing which platform to develop for based on the company that makes it. Flash is great. AS3 is a decent object oriented language. It is easy to develop for. It has unbelievable penetration. Its extremely accessible. (10x more people have a flash penetrated computer than own an xbox). There is mobile support that is arguably pretty iffy but improving. It has a pretty great art pipeline with Flash Professional (which incidentally can also double as a level editor).

You can argue either way for flash or unity but I'd say the company who makes the platform is probably the most irrelevant part of that argument.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 03:38:36 Reply

At 10/21/11 06:35 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: You can argue either way for flash or unity but I'd say the company who makes the platform is probably the most irrelevant part of that argument.

The company that makes the platform is the company that is directing and leading the platform. I think that is totally relevant, since you're working with their product...

Baaah, either way, I think everyone can agree that Flash is good for some things, and Unity is good for somethings, it comes down to what tool is best for the job...

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 05:55:05 Reply

Ah, btw, when's the next game jam coming up? :O

MCarsten
MCarsten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 19:20:14 Reply

At 10/22/11 05:55 AM, PSvils wrote: Ah, btw, when's the next game jam coming up? :O

Good question.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 21:24:10 Reply

I am also interested in doing another game jam. Not sure what happened to austinbreed. He was the one hosting them.

Also I was wondering would anyone be interested in a getting started with ND2D video tutorial? I was thinking about doing one.

Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 23:24:07 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I am also interested in doing another game jam. Not sure what happened to austinbreed. He was the one hosting them.

Also I was wondering would anyone be interested in a getting started with ND2D video tutorial? I was thinking about doing one.

Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

I would love you if you made that video. Let me know how that A* thing works out.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 03:00:49 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

Do you mean integrating Box2D with the A* algorithm??

I absolutely HATE it when libraries combo things up like that. I didn't like the fact that ND2D is going to integrate Box2D as well...it's meeeeh for me.
If you can make just the A* part easily detachable, then that's fine, since I still can see myself using the integrated Box2D for quick tests and what not.

Plus NAPE > Box2D in terms of performance. Kills it.

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:09:57 Reply

I sure hope Austin won't be mad at me for disclosing confidential information.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:21:33 Reply

At 10/23/11 01:09 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: I sure hope Austin won't be mad at me for disclosing confidential information.

Aight, shaweet!

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:22:06 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

It makes mistakes sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge walls.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 15:34:59 Reply

I recorded a simple getting started with ND2D tutorial today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysug6VNX PM

At 10/23/11 01:22 PM, Toast wrote: It makes mistakes sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge walls.

Ah yeah. Good find. I think I know why thats happening. Basically it thinks that top tile is the fastest way since it doesn't know about the wall yet. It continues down the path and finds the target. The engine is set up so that once it finds a path, it immediately uses that path and doesn't bother checking for shorter ones, I definitely should look into this. Thanks.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 01:41:23 Reply

I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.

Molehill got that kid in me again a bit, so I guess I'll go do that...

Oh, actually, any beta testers want to try out this new game I'm making? It's nearly nearly complete, just a small arcade snake game, but I want to know if it's boring or not.
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 06:00:47 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW.

The novelty passes over eventually, pretty much the reason why nothing seems new now..it's also the reason why we don't laugh at people falling down and such.

Oh, actually, any beta testers want to try out this new game I'm making? It's nearly nearly complete, just a small arcade snake game, but I want to know if it's boring or not.

Well, a little kid might find what is boring to us is fascinating to it. Anyhow, I'll try.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 10:33:28 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote:

I'll check it out P.

Is there any legit reason why a SWF would work perfectly on my computer and not on my client's 4? He's apparently tried it on a Mac, XP, Vista, and 7, and various browsers on each; and he sent me a video of the weirdo lag he gets. He's tried it on his own site, my NG dump, and the standalone SWF with no success. I'm exporting to FP 9 with no graphics acceleration (his original settings), and he says that it's more laggy and less smooth than the 60 fps lag-fest he originally sent me. It's now running 25/24 fps, 40ms/frame for me.

tomdeaap
tomdeaap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 12:22:18 Reply

Pherhaps you're accesing some local files?

Probably not but hey....

"Insert deep, brain twisting sentence here"

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 12:33:47 Reply

At 10/27/11 10:33 AM, MSGhero wrote: Is there any legit reason why a SWF would work perfectly on my computer and not on my client's 4? He's apparently tried it on a Mac, XP, Vista, and 7, and various browsers on each; and he sent me a video of the weirdo lag he gets. He's tried it on his own site, my NG dump, and the standalone SWF with no success. I'm exporting to FP 9 with no graphics acceleration (his original settings), and he says that it's more laggy and less smooth than the 60 fps lag-fest he originally sent me. It's now running 25/24 fps, 40ms/frame for me.

Ask him if he's constantly running any programs in the background. You never know. And ask him for his computer specs, and give us yours. Are you perhaps using NASA's super computer?

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 13:14:31 Reply

Check your software for memory bloats or extensive CPU usage. You could also try and test it on a really old or slow computer. My mother still has this old computer I sometimes use to check if my game is efficient.

new pages always feel cold.. brrr
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 13:36:32 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:14 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: My mother still has this old computer I sometimes use to check if my game is efficient.

What a cold reason to visit your mother... :D

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 14:17:20 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:36 PM, PSvils wrote:
At 10/27/11 01:14 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: My mother still has this old computer I sometimes use to check if my game is efficient.
What a cold reason to visit your mother... :D

"Hey Mom! Its been a long time"
"Yea, I have been busy lately so I didnt had much time to call you, sorry"
"But ehmm... can I take a quick look at your computer, while I'm here?"

Thank would be awesome :D
But I still live with my parents because I want my full focus on college while they do all the boring stuff like cooking and cleaning. But my plans are to move out in half a year or so.

better start looking for rooms
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 14:41:37 Reply

Crap, forgot I was testing at NASA...hold up...

K, looks about the same on my not-supercomputer. I don't have his specs yet, but I've got me a dual core 2ghz (each, 4 total), 4gb ram, 320 gb hdd, some nub intel graphics card, and Vista. Testing in Flash Pro, Chrome (standalone and in the dump), and the debugger. I have the auto-latest Flash in Chrome, 11 installed on my desktop as well, and the 11 debugger. In other words, normal.

I've been enjoying Castle Crashing the Beard way too much lately...I think that platformer will end up being a brawler or something similar.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 06:01:34 Reply

I encourage everyone to head on over to:
http://www.indieroyale.com/

And GET it! Especially Gemini Rue caught my eye, I'm a huge fan of old school point and clicks, and this game is just awesome! The other games are awesome as well!

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 06:16:56 Reply

At 10/28/11 06:01 AM, PSvils wrote: I'm a huge fan of old school point and clicks

I bet you like text based games, and watching paint dry.

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 06:31:55 Reply

At 10/28/11 06:16 AM, JoeMation wrote:
At 10/28/11 06:01 AM, PSvils wrote: I'm a huge fan of old school point and clicks
I bet you like text based games, and watching paint dry.

I hate text based games. I can tell you haven't tried point'n'click games like Gemini Rue. It's similar to good ol' Kings Quest, or Space Quest, etc. etc.

w/e, it's not for everyone. And who doesn't like watching paint dry...

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 10:24:04 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.

There's plenty to learn about CS that will blow your mind, if you wanted to.

I've seen more competent people excited about how good Unity is.
(That's where I get the disconnect from. You're excited about a feature that *Adobe* are *planning*.)

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 10:37:41 Reply

At 10/28/11 10:24 AM, fixplz wrote:
At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.
There's plenty to learn about CS that will blow your mind, if you wanted to.

Nothing has the same WOW factor like it did before. I actually blew my mind when in school we were learning about imaginary numbers, and the fact that if you do i^x and travel a graph along the x value, you get a perfect sinusoidal spring, which was relevant to me in that I'm on/off working on a parametric collision detection engine.

I've seen more competent people excited about how good Unity is.
(That's where I get the disconnect from. You're excited about a feature that *Adobe* are *planning*.)

Molehill's live already, FP11 has been released fyi. And what's wrong with Molehill? Yes, it's not the best thing I could be using if I really really need to put out 3d content on the web, but I just do this stuff as a hobby. Molehill's interesting, AS3 is fun, why not. Also time is a bit low, so I find it more comfortable extending my existing as3 knowledge rather than jumping to a different platform.

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 10:50:56 Reply

It was described as it was 'planned', but as we found out they found a reason to disable it on half the computers. And it was never going to be better than Unity, and the tools still suck.
Being low on time isn't an excuse to be excited about Molehill instead of others, is it though. :p

I assure you I know some extent of math and there is plenty of juice for your wowings.

I spent the last few days traveling back to Latvia. Now I'm here! We could meet up.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 11:21:34 Reply

At 10/28/11 10:50 AM, fixplz wrote: I spent the last few days traveling back to Latvia. Now I'm here! We could meet up.

Woah, yeah, sure! When were you thinking? I live 20 minutes away from the monument, so I'm good for most of the time. Also do you know Nabaklab? That's my primary hang spot.

Like I said before, Molehill seemed like it was a good step in the right direction for Adobe, but they still managed to fuck it up, plus I was never expecting it to surpass Unity in any way. Not a lot of time + I'm a little lazy fuck makes it more of a legit excuse :)

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-28 15:45:29 Reply

At 10/28/11 11:21 AM, PSvils wrote:

plus I was never expecting it to surpass Unity in any way.

Maybe when unity gets its browser penetration over 1% then they can start considering themselves competitors with flash. =P