New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 11:22:19 Reply

If the positions of the nodes (dots) dont change you might even consider making a table for it upon initialization. That means the CPU is a little more busy loading your level / game but when you play it it executes faster. And I dont quite get your question, you just do the A* (A star) algorithm and then you've got your fastest route? (btw A* is invented by Dijkstra, a Dutch person :D)

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 11:29:47 Reply

I mean rephrase it. Visible from them?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/05ca 72840c163be12766c70fc92c3263

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 11:33:48 Reply

A* is not the same as Dijkstra's algorithm. A* extends the latter with cost heuristics, which allows depth-first searching.

The more you know.

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 11:50:04 Reply

I know but what I mean is that the foundation of pathfinding comes from this guy.

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 12:34:56 Reply

Um, he established all of computer science. If you want to feel proud about something.
But he defined a special case of a toy algorithm too.

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 12:56:29 Reply

really fun discussion to read, thanks for making the reg lounge an interesting place for these last couple of days

i've been away from computer science way too long, forgot how fun it is

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 13:30:45 Reply

At 10/20/11 04:59 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: But in some positions, the path still goes to node A but in a different way. Why is this since these nodes dont change position and the shortest path should be fixed for them.

This is because the algorithm takes into account the total distance from the node of origin. Because of this, if two nodes are very close to each other, it will usually go through these 2 nodes, even though a node that might initially be further away results in a shorter path...

I can draw this up, since it's probable you didn't understand what I said :D (What can I say after just getting home from school/friend's birthday)

P.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 14:27:21 Reply

Yay, I started an argument on a forum!

NG.cred++

@P: It was funkily going a longer alternate route to the same node because of int or whatever. Through the node to the right then to the middle one is shorter than to the left then middle, but it would show the left path as shorter occasionally. It's fixed now.

@fix: I looked into collab diff, but (maybe) I'll add something like a personality to the chasers. Like an old lady mishears your location and wanders off in a different direction instead of heading toward you. Or people hear a rumor of where you're at and head there, while you run somewhere else.
And as far as visible: I have it set so that one node can only check the nodes that it can "see." Like the green one can only "see" the one to its left and right and, therefore, only checks those two.

@Sand: Read the last two lines of ^^^. I can't have every node be able to "see" the blue dot all the time.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 15:48:42 Reply

At 10/20/11 02:27 PM, MSGhero wrote: Yay, I started an argument on a forum!

Not argument, discussion ;)

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-20 17:57:01 Reply

At 10/20/11 03:48 PM, PSvils wrote: Not argument, discussion ;)

I feel like some people were discussing, and others were arguing.

Has anyone found an ND2D tutorial yet? Since I SUCK at perspective drawing, my poor A* will have to wait until I figure out 2.5D perspective. I'm thinking 2D platformer so I can learn NAPE.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 09:19:24 Reply

At 10/20/11 12:56 PM, Toast wrote: really fun discussion to read, thanks for making the reg lounge an interesting place for these last couple of days

Yes, very very much.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 09:58:42 Reply

At 10/20/11 05:57 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/20/11 03:48 PM, PSvils wrote: Not argument, discussion ;)
I feel like some people were discussing, and others were arguing.

Has anyone found an ND2D tutorial yet? Since I SUCK at perspective drawing, my poor A* will have to wait until I figure out 2.5D perspective. I'm thinking 2D platformer so I can learn NAPE.

Then why do you need 2.5D? Either way, I haven't used it myself, but isolib might be worth looking into. I'm having a hard time telling myself "fuck molehill" for my current project, since I probably want to include it in my game simply because it's the new pizzazz, rather than me needing it. And anyways, Flashes support of GPU's is shitty (both of my laptops go into software rendering mode...)

I think I'll finally be finished my first game in a long long time, an arcade snake type game (Neon Snake).
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 12:20:19 Reply

Still in the idea phase, but a street view would have a limited periphery (which I may or may not want), and a top-down aerial view would just be the tops of everyone's heads. Coolsauce on the link, I'll check it out.

I gave up on Molehill when I saw drawing a colored and rotated rectangle took 60 lines of code (not my style). What years are your laptops from? I think 3D support or whatever was added starting in '09. 2nd to last .SWF here will tell you if 3D rendering is turned off

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 12:33:05 Reply

Mine's pretty new, and yes, from my own tests on the desktop too, it runs in software, not hardware... :/

And if you want a 2.5D effect, why would you use ND2D? That's just for 2D rendering. If you want some 3D/effect, then get down with Away3D or something. I have a cool idea for a project where I will probably pick that up.

fixplz
fixplz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 14:18:34 Reply

Acceleration support does look shabby. I'm sure they have some reasonable grounding for why they disabled the drivers they did (three out of three of your computers?), but it makes it quite unusable.

Given by how you were excited about the release of this but not Unity (..IIRC), I'd say you're a bit oblivious to HOW FUCKING INCOMPETENT Adobe is.

Unity is better in every way, from graphics support to API design to language choice to script performance. The runtime installs instantly and the IDE is free.

Do you see what Unity is going for?

Meanwhile Adobe's big platform additions (10.1 was it?), the amazing typed vectors and byte access bytecodes, often manage to be slower than normal array access. Facepalm.

The opcodes apparently really are like 10x slower than the actual eg. C operations. No words.
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 14:21:13 Reply

At 10/21/11 12:33 PM, PSvils wrote: Mine's pretty new, and yes, from my own tests on the desktop too, it runs in software, not hardware... :/

And if you want a 2.5D effect, why would you use ND2D? That's just for 2D rendering. If you want some 3D/effect, then get down with Away3D or something. I have a cool idea for a project where I will probably pick that up.

Nuuuuuuuuu I wanted to learn ND2D for the 2D platformer, which I'll prolly work on while I figure out 2.5D stuff.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 14:33:09 Reply

At 10/21/11 02:18 PM, fixplz wrote: Acceleration support does look shabby. I'm sure they have some reasonable grounding for why they disabled the drivers they did (three out of three of your computers?), but it makes it quite unusable.

Given by how you were excited about the release of this but not Unity (..IIRC), I'd say you're a bit oblivious to HOW FUCKING INCOMPETENT Adobe is.

Unity is better in every way, from graphics support to API design to language choice to script performance. The runtime installs instantly and the IDE is free.

Do you see what Unity is going for?

Meanwhile Adobe's big platform additions (10.1 was it?), the amazing typed vectors and byte access bytecodes, often manage to be slower than normal array access. Facepalm.

The opcodes apparently really are like 10x slower than the actual eg. C operations. No words.

I've always been very very skeptical of Adobe, and with Molehill the initial impression was that they finally did something right. But apparently, they still manage to fuck up somehow... (2/2 of my computers btw)

I know that Unity I guess has all the advantages, except popularity. The only reason for me to stick with Flash is a) I don't need all the extra firepower Unity offers all the time, and b) plugin penetration. I can see Unity being good for major online game releases, where a user is prepared to download something just to play that game, but for casual gamers...well, yeah, I'm sure everyone's had this discussion already at some point :D
(I mean..."yay FP10, you can now draw triangles with accurate UV mapping! BUT, you can't realistically use it in anything more complex than our tech demo's at Adobe MAX!")

I plan to go into C++ dev soon after I finish a few simple game ideas I have stacked up that are suitable for Flash.

(I might seem pretty bipolar with Adobe, but overall I don't like them. They screw up their IDE, and just fuck up their platform. I was just really excited about Molehill partly because I guess I fell for the hype a tad, and it legit seemed like a step in the right direction, but that step is apparently very small)

I love ranting about this stuff, don't I...
At 10/21/11 02:21 PM, MSGhero wrote: Nuuuuuuuuu I wanted to learn ND2D for the 2D platformer, which I'll prolly work on while I figure out 2.5D stuff.

Ahaa, gotcha! (Couldn't tell you were talking about 2 different projects :) )

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-21 18:35:53 Reply

The company is pretty irrelevant. You aren't choosing which platform to develop for based on the company that makes it. Flash is great. AS3 is a decent object oriented language. It is easy to develop for. It has unbelievable penetration. Its extremely accessible. (10x more people have a flash penetrated computer than own an xbox). There is mobile support that is arguably pretty iffy but improving. It has a pretty great art pipeline with Flash Professional (which incidentally can also double as a level editor).

You can argue either way for flash or unity but I'd say the company who makes the platform is probably the most irrelevant part of that argument.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 03:38:36 Reply

At 10/21/11 06:35 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: You can argue either way for flash or unity but I'd say the company who makes the platform is probably the most irrelevant part of that argument.

The company that makes the platform is the company that is directing and leading the platform. I think that is totally relevant, since you're working with their product...

Baaah, either way, I think everyone can agree that Flash is good for some things, and Unity is good for somethings, it comes down to what tool is best for the job...

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 05:55:05 Reply

Ah, btw, when's the next game jam coming up? :O

MCarsten
MCarsten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 19:20:14 Reply

At 10/22/11 05:55 AM, PSvils wrote: Ah, btw, when's the next game jam coming up? :O

Good question.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 21:24:10 Reply

I am also interested in doing another game jam. Not sure what happened to austinbreed. He was the one hosting them.

Also I was wondering would anyone be interested in a getting started with ND2D video tutorial? I was thinking about doing one.

Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-22 23:24:07 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I am also interested in doing another game jam. Not sure what happened to austinbreed. He was the one hosting them.

Also I was wondering would anyone be interested in a getting started with ND2D video tutorial? I was thinking about doing one.

Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

I would love you if you made that video. Let me know how that A* thing works out.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 03:00:49 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

Do you mean integrating Box2D with the A* algorithm??

I absolutely HATE it when libraries combo things up like that. I didn't like the fact that ND2D is going to integrate Box2D as well...it's meeeeh for me.
If you can make just the A* part easily detachable, then that's fine, since I still can see myself using the integrated Box2D for quick tests and what not.

Plus NAPE > Box2D in terms of performance. Kills it.

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:09:57 Reply

I sure hope Austin won't be mad at me for disclosing confidential information.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:21:33 Reply

At 10/23/11 01:09 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: I sure hope Austin won't be mad at me for disclosing confidential information.

Aight, shaweet!

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 13:22:06 Reply

At 10/22/11 09:24 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Right now I am trying to add Box2D to my EasyStarAS3 example I posted up last weekend.

It makes mistakes sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge walls.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-23 15:34:59 Reply

I recorded a simple getting started with ND2D tutorial today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysug6VNX PM

At 10/23/11 01:22 PM, Toast wrote: It makes mistakes sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge walls.

Ah yeah. Good find. I think I know why thats happening. Basically it thinks that top tile is the fastest way since it doesn't know about the wall yet. It continues down the path and finds the target. The engine is set up so that once it finds a path, it immediately uses that path and doesn't bother checking for shorter ones, I definitely should look into this. Thanks.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 01:41:23 Reply

I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW. Like when I discovered Arrays, I was like WOW...now, it's kinda dull in the way I sit down, type up the code, test it, hm, some sort of bug, oh, no, I just forgot to initialize my array...and so on.

Molehill got that kid in me again a bit, so I guess I'll go do that...

Oh, actually, any beta testers want to try out this new game I'm making? It's nearly nearly complete, just a small arcade snake game, but I want to know if it's boring or not.
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-10-27 06:00:47 Reply

At 10/27/11 01:41 AM, PSvils wrote: I just had a random nostalgia moment...reading some of the threads in the forums, I actually really really miss the good ol' days of discovery, where everything I was learning about AS seemed NEW.

The novelty passes over eventually, pretty much the reason why nothing seems new now..it's also the reason why we don't laugh at people falling down and such.

Oh, actually, any beta testers want to try out this new game I'm making? It's nearly nearly complete, just a small arcade snake game, but I want to know if it's boring or not.

Well, a little kid might find what is boring to us is fascinating to it. Anyhow, I'll try.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature