Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,987,491 Views
  • 64,537 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-17 16:53:57 Reply

Never seen that, but it doesn't surprise me. Flash is a bitch to work with sometimes.


BBS Signature
PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-17 17:08:24 Reply

Ah, someone told me that flash puts library bitmap items there now so you can use them as fills. I guess I didn't break flash afterall!

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-18 01:10:35 Reply

At 11/17/11 05:08 PM, PestoForce wrote: Ah, someone told me that flash puts library bitmap items there now so you can use them as fills. I guess I didn't break flash afterall!

Wow abobos big adventure is programmed entirely in the flash ide?

PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-18 11:30:40 Reply

At 11/18/11 01:10 AM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 11/17/11 05:08 PM, PestoForce wrote: Ah, someone told me that flash puts library bitmap items there now so you can use them as fills. I guess I didn't break flash afterall!
Wow abobos big adventure is programmed entirely in the flash ide?

u no eet!

PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-18 11:32:00 Reply

But each "level" (which is an entire game style) is a precompiled .swc file otherwise I think we'd have hit some kind of library item limit.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-18 12:53:00 Reply

i see. well it looks really cool. can't wait to play it!

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-18 18:42:18 Reply

Friggin code.

I spent two hours dealing with a null object reference error...while almost all of my code was commented out. I compiled the code that was working 5 mins before, and it tossed the cursed 1009. Updated JDK, FD, .NET and made plenty of Google searches on debugging in FD. Nada.
Found out ND2D had an updated version. Added that and uncommented my untouched code. Works fine now...
/rant

Btw, how do you make FD stack trace runtime errors like 1009? I set verbose something or other to true in project and program settings, but it still didn't tell me what line the problem was on. It ended up being thrown at addChild-ing a Sprite2D.

Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-20 02:47:04 Reply

At 11/17/11 04:52 PM, PestoForce wrote: Here's a closeup.

Yeah. You get that if you break down a bitmap and then use the eye dropper tool to select it, if I remember correctly.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-22 09:31:52 Reply

Holy game jam!!!11

http://austinbreed.newgrounds.com/news/p ost/657704

It just really sucks that it's a week this time. It was always incredibly fun because of the super strict deadline and seeing tons of games being created from scratch over the course of just three days blah blah. It's also a much bigger commitment being a week. Now it's just a regular contest, not a jam.

Anybody else feel the same way? I really think AustinBreed should reconsider making it 72 hours again.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-22 11:45:50 Reply

Yeah...I preferred it being a short but intense time period, in which we all could barely make functional games. Now it's going to be more about polishing than initial game design and idea I think.

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-22 14:38:07 Reply

It doesn't seem like anyone's happy with the 1 week time limit, or at least, whoever is hasn't voiced their opinion. If the majority want it 72 hours, then I think Austin should change. I'd really, really prefer if it was 72 hours.

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-22 19:13:31 Reply

At 11/22/11 09:31 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Holy game jam!!!11

http://austinbreed.newgrounds.com/news/p ost/657704

ActionScript 3 users need not apply:
"Programmers are capable of writing in Actionscript 1 or 2"


Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-22 23:00:02 Reply

Yeah one week is lame. It needs to 24/7 thing for only a few days, otherwise stamina runs out. Plus not all of us are in school and have christmas break. Some of us actually have jobs so the playing field is not really equal. Better to choose 2 or 3 days over a weekend. Looks like I will be sitting this one out. I think I may do Ludum Dare instead. It's in Dec as well.

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-23 12:34:24 Reply

If anyone needs to get game ideas, this shit is epic if you're looking to make a horror/story driven shooter or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3aOaoGf Cs

I've been listening to Sephiroth for almost 7 months now, and I can listen over and over again. But of course, another artist to mention is Desiderii Marginis. EPIC shit.
If you're looking for something more sci-fi/techno, then Aes Dana (his album Leylines) is a deep trance type of thing, very ambient, pretty dark. Very awesome.

Random blab. Was just listening to Sephiroth, and thought I'd share it since it's what I listen to while making my zombie game.

funkycaveman
funkycaveman
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-25 19:06:32 Reply

At 11/24/11 11:20 AM, citricsquid wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6XbhIRtU jQ neat

that's pretty awesome

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-26 01:19:04 Reply

Now THIS video contains a very high level of awesooooomeness:
http://gizmodo.com/5859495/massive-attac k--paradise-circus-very-nsfw

Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-26 06:39:54 Reply

P.
Please say if you post a video that is NSFW..
:p

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-26 07:17:24 Reply

At 11/26/11 06:39 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: P.
Please say if you post a video that is NSFW..
p

It says dere in the title... (Oops, my bad, hope you weren't at work... (Then again, wtf you doin' at work and on NG? :P ))

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-26 07:30:05 Reply

And so..
*see image*
I voted 0 on all his submissions because I think his animations are terrible and using madness sprites is really lame and that combining shoop da woop with madness is a horrible idea.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Archawn
Archawn
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-27 00:06:21 Reply

Eclipse on one screen, http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc on the other... What more could I need?

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-29 01:00:21 Reply

At 11/27/11 12:06 AM, Archawn wrote: Eclipse on one screen, http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc on the other... What more could I need?

Watching cats helps you program??? Heyyyy, whatever it takes, haha. I usually watch some sort of movie where there is always the one dude who is a computer wizzard that hacks all this stuff for "good causes". Idk, it just gets me in the "IM GOIN F*** SH** UP..... using a computer" mood, which helps me buckle down and focus.


BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-29 03:29:29 Reply

Am I the only one who's noticed that "cici116819" and "sandyrommy" just answer each others questions in threads? Literally, every thread one makes, the other comes straight in with an answer.

Am I missing an inside joke you lot aren't telling me about?

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-29 05:23:35 Reply

At 11/29/11 01:00 AM, swishcheese wrote: Watching cats helps you program??? Heyyyy, whatever it takes, haha. I usually watch some sort of movie where there is always the one dude who is a computer wizzard that hacks all this stuff for "good causes". Idk, it just gets me in the "IM GOIN F*** SH** UP..... using a computer" mood, which helps me buckle down and focus.

The movie "The Social Network" did that for me. It was also pretty cool cuz I was watching it with some friends who kept asking me what he was doing in the programming part.

At 11/29/11 03:29 AM, Sam wrote: Am I the only one who's noticed that "cici116819" and "sandyrommy" just answer each others questions in threads? Literally, every thread one makes, the other comes straight in with an answer.

Am I missing an inside joke you lot aren't telling me about?

They look like they're both bots made to advertise that SWF to video converter or something, which is actually a pretty new way of doing something like this. Usually this advertiser/spammer would just make a bot to search for old threads and reply to those.

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-11-29 05:34:25 Reply

At 11/29/11 05:23 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: They look like they're both bots made to advertise that SWF to video converter or something, which is actually a pretty new way of doing something like this. Usually this advertiser/spammer would just make a bot to search for old threads and reply to those.

The sad/funny thing is that it probably isn't a bot but just some guy writing up those posts. A pretty pathetic PR strategy if you ask me :').


BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-04 18:30:23 Reply

Game Jam's over for me. Got as far as we could (an artist dropped out), and then we decided to finish the game over the week.

Mm mmmm, no pressure no more. Feels so nice.

Good luck to those who are still goin for it!

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-05 01:54:21 Reply

At 12/4/11 06:30 PM, PSvils wrote: Game Jam's over for me. Got as far as we could (an artist dropped out), and then we decided to finish the game over the week.

Mm mmmm, no pressure no more. Feels so nice.

Good luck to those who are still goin for it!

We were doing well, but then my code died. Compiled once, fine. Compiled right after to check something, and one of my variables started to increase faster than the code allowed, skyrocketing to infinity...(I swear, I'm never making a platformer again)

It does feel nice. I get to sleep now :)

PSvils
PSvils
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-05 11:26:12 Reply

At 12/5/11 01:54 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 12/4/11 06:30 PM, PSvils wrote: Game Jam's over for me. Got as far as we could (an artist dropped out), and then we decided to finish the game over the week.

Mm mmmm, no pressure no more. Feels so nice.

Good luck to those who are still goin for it!
We were doing well, but then my code died. Compiled once, fine. Compiled right after to check something, and one of my variables started to increase faster than the code allowed, skyrocketing to infinity...(I swear, I'm never making a platformer again)

It does feel nice. I get to sleep now :)

:D Was the variable in the collision code? I had problems with my collisions, but I realized today I may have simply made a really stupid mistake...

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Member since: May. 12, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-05 11:38:33 Reply

At 12/4/11 06:30 PM, PSvils wrote: Game Jam's over for me. Got as far as we could (an artist dropped out), and then we decided to finish the game over the week.

Mm mmmm, no pressure no more. Feels so nice.

Good luck to those who are still goin for it!

that sucks that the artist dropped out, your demo was really cool too. I love puzzle games like that. I cant wait to play it once you finish it over the week. Good luck!


BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-05 11:56:48 Reply

At 12/5/11 11:26 AM, PSvils wrote:
D Was the variable in the collision code? I had problems with my collisions, but I realized today I may have simply made a really stupid mistake...

I thought about it during class today, and yeah it was the collision code (y offset of the stationary hero relative to scrolling platforms). The platform that the hero was landing on since the 30 min mark of the contest all of a sudden stopped registering collisions a second or two into the game, and he just fell forever and crashed flash. Gonna use NAPE next time around after some more practice with that.

PestoForce
PestoForce
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2011-12-05 13:46:08 Reply

At 11/30/11 06:56 AM, citricsquid wrote: you should all read this http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/steven-s pielberg-sees-unofficial-tintin-credits-
on-web-gives-artist-job-on-next-movie-

That is a really cool story, thanks for sharing CSquid!