00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,112 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-10-31 12:08:56

At 10/31/14 11:40 AM, MintPaw wrote: Hey, how do you guys feel about AS3/Haxe entering a VR space like Google Cardboard or Oculus Rift?

I think s3d lib is for that (stereoscopic 3d?), and why are you in this thread? You never are.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-10-31 12:22:04

At 10/31/14 05:34 AM, Rustygames wrote: Having worked exclusively with HTML5 applications for the last 2 years I can safely say that it is a bigger pile of shit than the flash player ever was.

I've only ever worked with both as a hobby, as I've never done any professional work with either, nor would I want to. From a development standpoint I've found both are very far from perfect technologies and can be very annoying, but only Flash Player has gotten on my nerves from a user standpoint. I couldn't even count the number of times Flash Player has locked up my browser over the years, which has happened to me as recently as last week while I was watching a YouTube video (I've been meaning to switch over to the HTML5 player but the last time I used it, it was apparent that Google either rushed it or was experimenting with it, as it had very odd behaviour).

Ultimately my experience has been that HTML5 applications suck and cause issues when they're poorly developed, but Flash Player applications suck and cause issues because of Flash Player, which is where my disdain for the technology comes from; I haven't yet had an HTML5 application lock up my browser.

At 10/31/14 05:34 AM, Rustygames wrote: Also just want to add Javascript is absolutely awful to work with on a large scale.

That I completely agree with. JavaScript has certainly improved but it is very obvious that the language was developed in less than a week by a dude who didn't really care about what he was doing (thanks a lot, Eich). It's the second shittiest language in common usage, in my opinion (PHP having a well-deserved first place), and things like CoffeeScript popping up just make everything worse. If ever there were a stupid, pointless hipster-language, it's CoffeeScript.

At 10/31/14 05:34 AM, Rustygames wrote: Flash still completely dominates rich applications (games especially) in the browser, I don't see that changing for quite some time, but since more focus is being shifted to native mobile applications anyway, it will die in a different way.

Flash Player won't be dying any time soon, that's for sure, but it is inevitable. Even Netflix has jumped on the HTML5 bandwagon now, and thank Christ for that because, incidentally, fuck Silverlight. There will no doubt be more games being created in HTML5 as more development tools are released, such as ImpactJS (which is a solid game engine; much better than Flixel and FlashPunk, in my opinion).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-01 09:28:14

At 10/31/14 12:22 PM, Diki wrote: JavaScript has certainly improved but it is very obvious that the language was developed in less than a week by a dude who didn't really care about what he was doing (thanks a lot, Eich).

Whatever happened to Javascript 2.0???

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-01 10:46:46 (edited 2014-11-01 10:47:00)

At 10/31/14 12:22 PM, Diki wrote: CoffeeScript popping up just make everything worse. If ever there were a stupid, pointless hipster-language, it's CoffeeScript.

I've used TypeScript a couple of times which I didn't mind.

CoffeeScript looks a little weird. If you prefer that syntax then that's fine, but I don't understand why they would change it so much that it's not immediately understood by a JavaScript programmer.

Will the piqued interest and usage of JavaScript result in there being an overhaul of the language? I'd assume it would just become like the state of HTML5 now (or maybe last year), where as features are released, they slowly trickle into existing technologies that use it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-01 20:22:28

At 11/1/14 10:46 AM, Sam wrote: CoffeeScript looks a little weird. If you prefer that syntax then that's fine, but I don't understand why they would change it so much that it's not immediately understood by a JavaScript programmer.

That's why I called it a hipster-language: when the designer(s) were presented with the choice to follow a common convention and have something that makes sense or instead do something different, they opted to do something different, even when it completely sacrifices readability and damn near guarantees programmers will accidentally introduce erroneous behaviour.

One of the worst offenders of the language:

foo () -> "hello world"

Which gets converted to the following JavaScript:

foo(function(){
    return "hello world";
});

And if you instead do this:

foo() -> "hello world"

You get this:

foo()(function(){
    return "hello world";
});

CoffeeScript is so far beyond stupid and poorly designed that I don't even know what to call it. Hipsters, man. Fuckin' hipsters.

At 11/1/14 10:46 AM, Sam wrote: Will the piqued interest and usage of JavaScript result in there being an overhaul of the language?

It's possible, but then every browser would need to implement the new spec, and historically there has never been a single browser that didn't fuck up some part of that at some point in its development (Internet Explorer being very infamous for it), so if there ever is an overhaul, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. And therein lies the problem with having a client-side scripting language being in widespread use in web development.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-02 00:10:59

At 11/1/14 08:22 PM, Diki wrote: One of the worst offenders of the language:

foo () -> "hello world"

Which gets converted to the following JavaScript:

Coffeescript is so weird looking. Then again, idk javascript at all, so the haxe output is weird-looking too: http://try.haxe.org/#90313. It might be normal js for all I know.

Have you guys watched any of Jon Blow's vids about his wip programming language for games? It seems interesting, but I doubt I'd ever need to go that low level with pointers and junk.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-02 08:44:34

At 11/2/14 12:10 AM, MSGhero wrote: Coffeescript is so weird looking. Then again, idk javascript at all, so the haxe output is weird-looking too: http://try.haxe.org/#90313. It might be normal js for all I know.

The JavaScript output only looks weird because Haxe is classical and JavaScript is not, it's a prototypal language. JavaScript also only has a very rudimentary concept of objects, so with that being true and it being prototypal means that you don't have classes and attempting to make something that is class-like ends up with goofy code like the Haxe output. It also looks like the Haxe developers deliberately wrote Haxe that would be converted to a convoluted mess.

If you're familiar with ActionScript then you will pretty much already know JavaScript because they're both dialects of ECMAScript. The only real difference between AS3 and JavaScript is that AS3 has classes and static objects. This is a JavaScript framework that I wrote a while ago that can give you an idea of what properly-written JavaScript looks like.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-03 02:24:28

Radom thing, but holy shit this music

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-03 15:30:57

At 10/31/14 09:27 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/31/14 05:34 AM, Rustygames wrote:
Do you think the w3c whatever will make html5 more consistent?
They can't really do anything. Just because there is a standard, doesn't mean people will follow it properly. How long were we forced to make countless hacks for IE6? Android stock browser is the new IE in terms of horrible implementations of standards :(

Very literally this means that browsers are going to start building for HTML5 tags to be interpreted correctly, and Chrome won't be the only browser that loves HTML5. We are STILL forced to make hacks for IE6, because IE6 was developed before the current standard was a standard. We will have to create hacks for IE10/Firefox/Chrome when HTML5 is the vernacular, but that's just the nature of compatibility.

Users are more and more being forced to update rather than having it as an option; IE being built into Windows 8 and updating itself is pretty indicative of the fact that there will come a time where it will be hard to find someone running even IE8/9.

Javascript is horrible for large projects

Well, arguably so is Actionscript; hopefully with the introduction of HTML5 as a standard we will start to see serious optimizations for workflow and development in regards to media with Javascript. The point you made about browser-specific optimizations is an extremely good one; doesn't look like there's going to be an elegant solution anytime soon.

Coffeescript is a hipster crap-boat

Totally agree with this point. There are some things like it that I appreciate, like CSS pre-compilers that came from hipster web devs, but badly-designed JS libraries/frameworks are not anything I appreciate.

Thanks for the input guys!

wew

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-04 12:27:46

I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with loading save files in the haxe NG api...turns out haxe converts http request data to strings before sending it out to the callbacks. The data I was testing with had a 0x00 byte, so the string was reading \0 null termination and dropped the rest of the data. I made an issue for it, but it turns out it's been an issue for at least 8 months that didn't come up from searching.

Open source sucks sometimes.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-04 17:03:29

I keep seeing interesting stuffs on the interwebs. Any thoughts on this?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-05 12:27:38

Went to a local company who seem to regularly use Haxe for projects which was cool to see. Taking over boys!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-07 08:52:23

Trying to make an AIR application extensible by using LocalConnections to send the majority of data to an extension SWF which can then be used to modify the application. Any tips / warnings?

Also: feature creep is real :o

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-07 19:39:08

So I bought this today
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb&hl=en
Bit of an upgrade from my old phone, which I literally cannot even find a picture of any more.

Smart phones are new to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-07 19:52:49

At 11/7/14 07:39 PM, egg82 wrote: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb&hl=en

Great phone for the price, my housemate has one. The camera seems a little lacklustre, but you can't expect it all for that price range.

I need an upgrade. Been looking at the Xperia Z3 but the release schedule for their flagships is every 6 months so it'll probably be shoved under the rug quicker than other phones.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-07 20:56:52

At 11/7/14 08:52 AM, Gimmick wrote: Also: feature creep is real :o

My gamedev life is feature creep.

I'm gonna start making a dialogue editor GUI bc of the dumb amount of dialogue my current and future games have. That way the writer can edit a json file directly instead of messaging me that I misspelled one word.

Speaking of which, I was thinking of putting the code and graphics on github to facilitate work, but do you guys think someone stealing my code would be an issue? My game idea sucks and all that, but someone could literally just compile what I have posted and pass it as his own.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-07 21:27:16

At 11/7/14 08:56 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/7/14 08:52 AM, Gimmick wrote: Also: feature creep is real :o
My gamedev life is feature creep.

I'm gonna start making a dialogue editor GUI bc of the dumb amount of dialogue my current and future games have. That way the writer can edit a json file directly instead of messaging me that I misspelled one word.

That actually serves some purpose lol. I'm trying to make extensions available in an AIR application (desktop) I'm making, even though I cannot foresee the application being used very widely for more than a very simple extension to be made.

Speaking of which, I was thinking of putting the code and graphics on github to facilitate work, but do you guys think someone stealing my code would be an issue? My game idea sucks and all that, but someone could literally just compile what I have posted and pass it as his own.

Put a "Code copyright © MSGHero 2014-". That'll show them not to! /s
You could make it private, if you don't care about the cost of hosting private projects.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-08 15:53:28

At 11/7/14 07:39 PM, egg82 wrote: So I bought this today
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb&hl=en
Bit of an upgrade from my old phone, which I literally cannot even find a picture of any more.

Smart phones are new to me.

I got one a few months ago. Then dropped it so I have to live with a smashed screen...

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-08 18:32:47

At 11/7/14 08:56 PM, MSGhero wrote: Speaking of which, I was thinking of putting the code and graphics on github to facilitate work, but do you guys think someone stealing my code would be an issue? My game idea sucks and all that, but someone could literally just compile what I have posted and pass it as his own.

PSvils saves the day with https://bitbucket.org/ which has free 5-and-under-contributors private repos. The only Mercurial I know is a dota 2 hero, but hopefully it's not complicated to the point where it's difficult for the non-programmers to contribute.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-08 19:44:45

At 11/8/14 03:53 PM, Rustygames wrote: I got one a few months ago. Then dropped it so I have to live with a smashed screen...

Thankfully I work in phone protection so I just took one of our scratch-and-shatter protection home to install it when it comes in.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-10 22:39:42

There's a dead pixel on my left monitor. Cannot unsee.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-10 23:17:25

At 11/10/14 10:39 PM, egg82 wrote: There's a dead pixel on my left monitor. Cannot unsee.

On my right monitor there is a patch of dead pixels which bleeds down, like the star on the left. I've lived with them for 3 years and occasionally feed them dead insects.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 04:14:53

At 11/8/14 06:32 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/7/14 08:56 PM, MSGhero wrote: Speaking of which, I was thinking of putting the code and graphics on github to facilitate work, but do you guys think someone stealing my code would be an issue? My game idea sucks and all that, but someone could literally just compile what I have posted and pass it as his own.
PSvils saves the day with https://bitbucket.org/

I use bitbucket for my shit and my job shit. It's farrrr cheaper than git and does everything git does. Would recommend

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 04:15:53

At 11/11/14 04:14 AM, Rustygames wrote: I use bitbucket for my shit and my job shit. It's farrrr cheaper than git and does everything git does. Would recommend

Heh I mean github, not git XD

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:04:53

Okay guys, someone I know (let's code name them, cowboy hat man) has an interview for a Haxe developer role.

Feed me all the information you can from an AS3 developer moving over the Haxe.

Even though cowboy hat man claims to have no experience at all in Haxe, it would be impressive if he at least knew a couple of things :P

Eggy man and metal gear solid bamboo, I'm counting on your input ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:26:34 (edited 2014-11-11 13:28:21)

At 11/11/14 01:04 PM, Rustygames wrote: Okay guys, someone I know (let's code name them, cowboy hat man) has an interview for a Haxe developer role.

Feed me all the information you can from an AS3 developer moving over the Haxe.

Even though cowboy hat man claims to have no experience at all in Haxe, it would be impressive if he at least knew a couple of things :P

Eggy man and metal gear solid bamboo, I'm counting on your input ;)

The past year and a half of haxe have led up to this moment.

AS3 syntax and haxe syntax are mostly the exact same. Differences: http://www.openfl.org/archive/developer/documentation/actionscript-developers/

Biggest differences: type inference, Int is capital i and Void is capital v, and for loops. The code tags weren't working a few days ago so hopefully this does...

var hi = "Hello World"; // hi is a String
var o = Json.parse(...); // o is a Dynamic (as3 obj)

for (i in 0...7) Log.trace(i); // 0,1,2,3,4,5,6
// the ... makes an iterator and the for in loop goes through it

edit: Haxe can export to as3/swf, js, php, java, cpp, c#. OpenFL is a haxe library and can go to native, flash, html5, mobile, etc. There are some other lib you might have to work with, or maybe it's just raw haxe. Haxe has single-platform libs (flash.display only works in flash) and also crossplatform ones (haxe.Http works everywhere).

You can add me on skype if you need to (MSGhero16) bc I have to go to class now.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:37:16

I know close to nothing about Haxe, sadly. Metal Gear Solid bamboo man has the best answers.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:48:14

Speaking of Haxe, does anybody use HIDE?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:54:48

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-11-11 13:55:20

At 11/11/14 01:48 PM, Sam wrote: Speaking of Haxe, does anybody use HIDE?

It's gotten way better but no FD is still probably the best for win. I might try it out again soon to get an informed opinion about it. FD had its shortcomings in haxe too.