00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KushB just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,878,533 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-13 14:20:10

At 12/13/13 05:11 AM, Diki wrote: It's pretty hard for me to describe just how I type. I kinda roll my fingers to allow me to type faster, if that makes any sense.

We had computer as a class from like 1st or 2nd grade on, and we were graded on wpm and home rows, so that's been etched into my mind. I do tend to roll my fingers though, and my hand is usually hovering over the home row rather than touching asdfjkl. Left thumb spacebar for sure. Just noticed that I hold my kl fingers over io since those are used more I guess. Pinky on ;

Home row syndrome probably affects my key bindings in dota as well. Starcraft 2 was a pain cuz I was always on asdf yet needed to move around the keyboard.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-13 20:43:23

At 12/12/13 09:29 PM, MSGhero wrote: Your archnemesis, Mintpaw.

By the way, you guys don't actually think we hate eachother, yeah? I know it's always hard to tell sarcasm on the interwebs, I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was confused :P

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-14 08:31:04

At 12/13/13 08:43 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 12/12/13 09:29 PM, MSGhero wrote: Your archnemesis, Mintpaw.
By the way, you guys don't actually think we hate eachother, yeah? I know it's always hard to tell sarcasm on the interwebs, I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was confused :P

Then why does Mintpaw never show up here, and you almost never go to forums, and since when (and what happened at that time) do you have "Mintpaw" mentioned in your signature?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-14 10:25:23

At 12/14/13 08:31 AM, kkots wrote: Then why does Mintpaw never show up here

He does occasionally

and you almost never go to forums

I do occasionally

and since when (and what happened at that time) do you have "Mintpaw" mentioned in your signature?

have you seen his signature?

Iunno, we like to poke fun at eachother.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-14 16:07:55

At 12/14/13 03:52 PM, Innermike wrote: Wow how quirky, you should get a picture taken with you two back to back displaying what opposing characters you are while displaying that you get along really even though one of you goes by the book and the other has street smarts.

Sounds like the plot to a really bad action movie.
"Two men... One objective: Clear the BBS and remove anyone in their way. Tonight on CBS. Be there, or... Don't be there. Your call, really."

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-14 16:53:46

Just noticed openfl has accelerometer support (shoulda figured). That would actually make the game I was making in openfl possible for mobile if movement is controlled by the tilt of the device.

2 problems:

1) No clue how to deal with asset sizes and screen sizes.
2) Not even sure if the game will still be made at this point, artist is busy with school and work (sadly, that's the case for 3/6 games I could possibly be working on right now).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-15 18:33:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5FbmsH4fw
Half of me is going "it's really great that all these people are learning to program and we're getting a bit more recognition" and the other half is going "oh, you made a whole four lines of code! Congratu-fuckin-lations!" (I think that bit's just how they presented it, like the number of lines of code actually means something)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-15 18:42:00

At 12/15/13 06:33 PM, egg82 wrote: (I think that bit's just how they presented it, like the number of lines of code actually means something)

If that were true, our govt would be doing really well.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-15 21:11:49

At 12/14/13 04:53 PM, MSGhero wrote: 1) No clue how to deal with asset sizes and screen sizes.

Screen size isn't too much of a pain. You can scale your main container to fit the screen completely (both in the X and Y), but if the aspect ratios are different, it'll distort. As a second option, you can pick the smallest scale factor between the X and Y and do both by that factor and then center the container on the screen. You'd be left with ugly black borders either on the top and bottom or left and right, so you could put some graphics over the top to fill the space.

I'm still unsure about assets, I haven't seen how shitty they can get if you resize them. I remember before when I used it back when it was NME with something that allowed me to grab assets from SWFs, it would do all resizing as vectors and then draw them as bitmaps which was quite handy, so nothing ever looked low quality.

It was a really hacky way to get assets though.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 00:17:29

At 12/15/13 09:11 PM, Sam wrote: I remember before when I used it back when it was NME with something that allowed me to grab assets from SWFs, it would do all resizing as vectors and then draw them as bitmaps which was quite handy, so nothing ever looked low quality.

I think they took that out of openfl and made it a premium only feature that you have to pay for.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 00:58:53

At 12/16/13 12:17 AM, Sandremss128 wrote:
At 12/15/13 09:11 PM, Sam wrote:
I think they took that out of openfl and made it a premium only feature that you have to pay for.

They just made it free for a limited time ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 01:39:34

At 12/16/13 12:17 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: I think they took that out of openfl and made it a premium only feature that you have to pay for.

I'm sorry, did you say code that I have to pay for?

... Why?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 02:07:34

At 12/16/13 01:39 AM, egg82 wrote: ... Why?

It's really useful and, at the time, they weren't getting funding from anyone. Plus, it's not like you're paying for something you can do in addition to making the project that requires it. They also have in-app purchases and gamecenter libraries that are paid.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 11:43:32

At 12/16/13 03:53 AM, PSvils wrote: So people are willing to pay subscriptions for games, but when it comes to real-world useful things, suddenly it's outrage?

I'm not sure that paying for games and paying for code are two relate-able things.

Suck it up, if you need to use it, then pay for it. They have a big codebase and already a lot of crossplatform functionality for you for free, and you still complain!

I'm not talking about this specific company, but the practice in general. I feel like if I need to pay somebody to code something for me in my own project then I'm doing something wrong. I have no problems taking free code, but when it comes to paying somebody to do it I feel like I just told myself "face it, you're not good enough to do this so just give up." - and that does not sit well with me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 11:55:13

At 12/16/13 11:43 AM, egg82 wrote: I'm not talking about this specific company, but the practice in general. I feel like if I need to pay somebody to code something for me in my own project then I'm doing something wrong. I have no problems taking free code, but when it comes to paying somebody to do it I feel like I just told myself "face it, you're not good enough to do this so just give up." - and that does not sit well with me.

Same for me. I concur. I like programming everything myself. From scratch. In one night. That's insanely exciting. It helps get in the zone, which egg mentioned earlier.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 12:59:26

In the real world we must realize however that we cannot create very complex systems on our own, or we simply don't have the time. For example if you want to store data from users and you want to encrypt it, you don't want to come up with your own algorithm that beats the pre existing ones. We don't have the time to be bothered with that as we have ass to kick.

We also all want to get paid for our hard programming jobs, it's hypocritical to deny fellow programmers that write code for you to deny this money.

Now most generally used systems such as encryption algorithms or physics engines are open source, but specific stuff like swf vector extraction and multi-platform display isn't something anyone does in their free time without getting paid for it.

At 12/16/13 11:43 AM, egg82 wrote:

:I feel like if I need to pay somebody to code something for me in my own project then I'm doing something wrong.

In the end it's all a money game and if you can pay 100$ to save yourself 1000$ of development time (if you can create it in the first place) I see nothing wrong with it.
If you respect your own effort and time as a programmer you will understand this.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 13:15:21

At 12/16/13 12:59 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: In the end it's all a money game and if you can pay 100$ to save yourself 1000$ of development time (if you can create it in the first place) I see nothing wrong with it.
If you respect your own effort and time as a programmer you will understand this.

We weren't talking about jobs as programmers, were we?
On a job, we'll be all serious and rational and stuff.
In our free time we can do whatever we want to, right?
So if I want to program something that I think I can, I will, because it's my free time.
But on a job, yes, all your points are natural and obvious.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 13:23:17

At 12/16/13 12:54 PM, PSvils wrote: What? Either way you're using 3rd party code, that you weren't good enough to do on your own...

I use the free tools to save time. I COULD do it on my own, but why waste the time when someone's already done it and is distributing it for free?

Again, I draw a bit of a weird line on this one because i'll happily take someone's free code but won't pay for the same code. Money isn't easy to come by for me, if i'm spending it on something it'd better save me that same amount or greater in the future. With free stuff, you're pretty much guaranteed that level of security whereas paying for something is always a risk.

Paying for something makes me feel like I couldn't do it on my own for free. Sometimes i'm okay with that, but if I can't do something I want to learn how to do it; not pay somebody to do it for me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 13:46:31

At 12/16/13 01:15 PM, kkots wrote: We weren't talking about jobs as programmers, were we?
On a job, we'll be all serious and rational and stuff.
In our free time we can do whatever we want to, right?
So if I want to program something that I think I can, I will, because it's my free time.
But on a job, yes, all your points are natural and obvious.

I get your point, but I don't understand how you make the distinction between professional programmer and amateur.
Just because I like recreational fishing doesn't mean I don't want to spend money on a fishing rod and go in the woods to craft my own one.

On the other hand if it is your personal mission or challenge to not use any (paid) third party software libraries for your projects I think that's very admirable.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 13:53:45

At 12/16/13 01:23 PM, egg82 wrote: Paying for something makes me feel like I couldn't do it on my own for free. Sometimes i'm okay with that, but if I can't do something I want to learn how to do it; not pay somebody to do it for me.

I looked at the source. It's pretty similar to what glaiel was doing, minus crossplatform stuff. Not something you could do by yourself unless that was the only thing you were doing for a while.

Plus it's free right now, so just get it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-16 16:10:22

At 12/16/13 01:53 PM, MSGhero wrote: I looked at the source. It's pretty similar to what glaiel was doing, minus crossplatform stuff. Not something you could do by yourself unless that was the only thing you were doing for a while.

Plus it's free right now, so just get it.

Again, this isn't just this one specific instance. I'm talking about the general idea of selling code.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-17 05:25:35

Some people/companies don't have the time or resources available to write significantly large amounts of code. For example, imagine you are an employer and you need your employee(s) to make X, but a version of X already exists that does everything you need (we'll call it Y). Having the employee(s) spend time developing X costs $1000.00, since they need to be paid for their time. Buying Y costs $500.00, and has free support (which X does not because you need to pay employees to fix any bugs/issues).

I pulled those numbers out of my ass, but do you see why there exists good reasons to pay for code (even if they don't apply to you)?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-17 08:12:01

At 12/16/13 01:46 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: On the other hand if it is your personal mission or challenge to not use any (paid) third party software libraries for your projects I think that's very admirable.

There there. You said the word "challenge". The words that should go next are "adrenaline", "berserk rage" and "faint at computer". And people who do such things actually like doing them. (Warning: over the top self-confidence and lack of rational thought may be involved.)

But maybe it's because I'm still inexperienced, and I intentionally pick whatever difficult task I can or cannot do simply to raise my skills. But I don't see why it doesn't apply to mature guys who have jobs as programmers - a person develops for his/her whole life, you'll never reach perfection, so you should be affected by this madness at least to some degree. *makes a crazy look*

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-17 11:34:29

At 12/17/13 05:25 AM, Diki wrote: I pulled those numbers out of my ass, but do you see why there exists good reasons to pay for code (even if they don't apply to you)?

I never actually considered that, though it seems pretty obvious and I certainly should have.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-17 23:26:14

http://blog.civillains.com/post/70189723236/oh-hey-heres-a-fake-screenshot

So this is why you need artists in your life. Top one is my art, bottom one is an artists. :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-18 01:07:07

At 12/17/13 11:26 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: http://blog.civillains.com/post/70189723236/oh-hey-heres-a-fake-screenshot

So this is why you need artists in your life. Top one is my art, bottom one is an artists. :P

At least your pixel art isn't the worst. Like mine. I can make an idle dude okish, but once animations start, I'm done. I brought my tablet home this break, so I might screw around with drawing again.

What do you guys mean by "asynchronous rpg"? You mean it's not turn-based?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-18 05:19:54

At 12/18/13 01:07 AM, MSGhero wrote: What do you guys mean by "asynchronous rpg"? You mean it's not turn-based?

I think they mean that you first define what you want to do, and your enemy too, and then it gets done simultaneously, by both you and your enemy, and whoever does something first or second is defined by, well, onEnterFrame logic.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-18 12:04:24

So I've been thinking about doing a charity stream in January to celebrate the new year and help out the folks at Child's Play.
Honestly I don't know how much I'd be able to raise, but I'd feel better about at least making a good attempt instead of saying "it's pointless, why do it?"

Also my channel was finally able to get partnered into the RPM network and i'm still fairly steadily (slowly, but steadily) gaining momentum on YouTube.

Finally i'm still working on the Joe launcher. Look, the original plan would have been done in a week or two. What I've created is a monster xD

I'm also working on capitalizing words like "I'm" and "I'd" because apparently they're supposed to be capitalized. Never heard that rule before, and I lived with some pretty big grammar freaks O.o

So that's been my life for the last month or two. A ton of work, but it's starting to pay off :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-18 12:22:08

At 12/18/13 12:04 PM, egg82 wrote: I'm also working on capitalizing words like "I'm" and "I'd" because apparently they're supposed to be capitalized. Never heard that rule before, and I lived with some pretty big grammar freaks O.o

AMERICANS.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-18 12:29:59

At 12/18/13 12:22 PM, Sam wrote: AMERICANS.

I laughed harder than I should have :P

BBS Signature