Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 10:49:06 Reply

At 8/12/10 05:56 AM, Paranoia wrote:
I'm interested now - what kind of advancements to you get in animation that Flash lacks? I know that it's relatively basic, but I would have thought that animation more than coding would require the same basic skills and tools rather than advanced software. That's not to say that animating in Flash is without annoyances.

Also, what's been going on in Flash since CS3? I decided against upgrading :p

Flash could have customizable things that make workflow faster and more efficient. I've never used ToonBoom, but for example, I know it has customizable onion skinning, and it also has customizable real-time color palettes. You make a Pants color in the palette, name it 'pants', color all your pants in all the frames the 'pants' color, and from then on you can change the color palette's 'pants' hue and it changes it in all the frames. Stuff like that, that just makes everything but the actual animation/drawing part faster.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 11:52:45 Reply

At 8/12/10 10:49 AM, Starogre wrote: You make a Pants color in the palette, name it 'pants', color all your pants in all the frames the 'pants' color, and from then on you can change the color palette's 'pants' hue and it changes it in all the frames. Stuff like that, that just makes everything but the actual animation/drawing part faster.

Now that you mention it, that does sound incredibly useful. They could even have you code it so that you can do palette swaps in-game! Why the fuck doesn't Flash have that?

Or indeed, a palette that doesn't extend past the bounds of the screen if you've used too many hues in your project so far :/

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 12:06:40 Reply

At 8/12/10 05:56 AM, Paranoia wrote: I'm interested now - what kind of advancements to you get in animation that Flash lacks? I know that it's relatively basic, but I would have thought that animation more than coding would require the same basic skills and tools rather than advanced software. That's not to say that animating in Flash is without annoyances.

also for coding, all you need is a text editor and a command-line compiler like gcc. A lot of people still code this way too. These programs are from the 70s

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 13:02:54 Reply

At 8/12/10 12:06 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 8/12/10 05:56 AM, Paranoia wrote: I'm interested now - what kind of advancements to you get in animation that Flash lacks? I know that it's relatively basic, but I would have thought that animation more than coding would require the same basic skills and tools rather than advanced software. That's not to say that animating in Flash is without annoyances.
also for coding, all you need is a text editor and a command-line compiler like gcc. A lot of people still code this way too. These programs are from the 70s

True, but you get cool updates sometimes. Like BitmapData! That was the shit!

...OK, now that I think about it Flash hasn't really given us that much since AS3 :/

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 13:14:51 Reply

At 8/12/10 01:02 PM, Paranoia wrote: ...OK, now that I think about it Flash hasn't really given us that much since AS3 :/

Don't forget about Vectors.

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 15:17:08 Reply

At 8/12/10 01:14 PM, Archawn wrote:
At 8/12/10 01:02 PM, Paranoia wrote: ...OK, now that I think about it Flash hasn't really given us that much since AS3 :/
Don't forget about Vectors.

I forgot about those :p CS3 ;)

BBS Signature
Kool-Aid
Kool-Aid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-12 15:38:38 Reply

I skipped over CS4, and have CS5 now after having CS3...From a graphic designers perspective, is anything easier/useful in the upgrades?

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 01:36:27 Reply

At 8/12/10 03:38 PM, Kool-Aid wrote: I skipped over CS4, and have CS5 now after having CS3...From a graphic designers perspective, is anything easier/useful in the upgrades?

long story short?

no

None

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 01:57:57 Reply

At 8/12/10 03:38 PM, Kool-Aid wrote: I skipped over CS4, and have CS5 now after having CS3...From a graphic designers perspective, is anything easier/useful in the upgrades?

I hear CS4 is better than CS5.. but that might just be a rumor.
I currently still use Macromedia Flash 8. :)

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

AdmittingZero
AdmittingZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 02:01:20 Reply

Better how?

MSN/Email-> kevin.stubbs@live.com -Need artists!
The 9th Legion
(Looking for somebody to create the site for $$$).

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 04:40:42 Reply

ARRRGH why can't pissing hitTestPoint just use the pissing co-ordinate system of the pissing display object that's pissing calling it!? Or better yet, let you pass one in as an optional parameter like with getBounds.

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 05:16:38 Reply

Wat.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 06:20:09 Reply

At 8/13/10 04:40 AM, Paranoia wrote: ARRRGH why can't pissing hitTestPoint just use the pissing co-ordinate system of the pissing display object that's pissing calling it!?

This. I spent so much time yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong with the floors in a game I've been working on. I was using hitTestPoint, and I was assuming it used coordinates relative to the object calling it.

I was very pissed off when I realized all I had to do was pass a point through localToGlobal().

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 06:23:33 Reply

At 8/13/10 06:20 AM, Archawn wrote: I was very pissed off when I realized all I had to do was pass a point through localToGlobal().

That still breaks if the root is transformed, though. I don't trust every site my games get uploaded to to leave the root be :p

BBS Signature
doctormario
doctormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 10:58:32 Reply

will _lockroot hook up?

BBS Signature
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 15:20:11 Reply

At 8/13/10 01:57 AM, YoinK wrote:
I hear CS4 is better than CS5.. but that might just be a rumor.
I currently still use Macromedia Flash 8. :)

CC3 boy over here. :P

I tried CS4 --- confusing and not friendly for me. Haven't seen CS5.
If CS4 has any feature I'd want, it be to write text, do a 3D tilt Star Wars intro style, and be able to easily parody that intro.

Actually funny story, earlier this month I realized I could drag and stretch the library to diff sizes... I never knew that. I knew I could move the timeline fatter or skinnier, but not the library. :P

Vista vs. Linux

Got vista, it works, but don't like it. Got Linux on here too and can choose which one to run on start up. Best example I got is FireFox is 50% CPU usage on Vista, and only 8% - 10% on linux. Though Linux is complicated for me cause I have no clue what to do with all the programmin' junk and my graphics card is too old to really embrace its awesome effects - like turning all the desktops into a 3D cube thats interactive. If I had a big disk I'd make copys of all my work and transfer to Linux, though my friends tell me to do different and I think they are right. It's annoying when flash crashes and ya haven't saved for half an hour to an hour and loose some work.

When flash crashes for me its worse when I get game over in a game and haven't saved for a bit.
Oh, speaking of games I beat Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic one and two, and then moved onto Stubbs the Zombie and Mass Effect 1. The Sims 2 is neat - its the sims 1, just... well... I think a lil' more.

Okay, I'm hungover... need coffee and food.

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 17:03:00 Reply

Shit, I got an email from Bart Henderson of metacafe this morning asking me about AS3 and stuff. I get a lot of random mail from newgrounders who want me to give them personal tutorials and whatnot, how they find me i don't know, but anyway a long time ago i gave up checking on people before replying ( bad move ) so it was only afterwards that i found out who he was, and now i kinda feel embarrassed :(

way to blow it mike

nobody

doctormario
doctormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-13 17:04:06 Reply

If CS4 has any feature I'd want, it be to write text, do a 3D tilt Star Wars intro style, and be able to easily parody that intro.

I can show you how to do that very quickly, if you so desire. :)

works on all versions of Flash. Promise.

BBS Signature
knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 01:03:57 Reply

oh look at that, not a single post in 10 days :S

hi! I'm not dead

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 06:37:40 Reply

At 8/11/10 04:08 AM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/11/10 03:08 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: I think we should note that, the guy behind that article is 16 years old, and he's already made $60,000 from his games.

Now I think that's *really* impressive, as only 3 of his games make up the majority of that money.
Says a lot, doesn't it... those actually doing it make more than this who sit around complaining about someone being a dick in business.

Also, a follow up on that guy if anyone's interested, he's trying out a little experiment right now, rather than going by the usual sponsorship route, he's made his own portal/facebook app and he and a few other people are churning out as many games as possible and self sponsoring them.

They've already churned out 21 games in the few months they've been working.

http://agitatedferret.newgrounds.com/fla sh/

I wonder if this will turn out to be more profitable than getting sponsored like everyone else in the long run.

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 06:54:08 Reply

At 8/14/10 01:03 AM, knugen wrote: oh look at that, not a single post in 10 days :S

hi! I'm not dead

Since when were you a mod? :p

and what happened to Keith's aura...

BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 13:10:30 Reply

At 8/14/10 06:37 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Also, a follow up on that guy if anyone's interested, he's trying out a little experiment right now, rather than going by the usual sponsorship route, he's made his own portal/facebook app and he and a few other people are churning out as many games as possible and self sponsoring them.

His expectations are way too high for these games, I get the feeling he's just an arrogant ass from reading his blog posts.

From his site:
Beyond Escape (First two months):
Expected Plays: 3,000,000
Expected CPMStar Revenue: $3,000

Actual views:
2,400 on NG and 1,482 on Kong.

Some of his other games did worse.

Go read his glorious blog post about his goals with these games and how he's worth 1000$/hr.

link

School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 13:49:15 Reply

Hey guys, it's been centuries, how are you all doing?

I need help with this Flash bug, for some reason, I assume it is that Adobe hates me, this happens:

I recently uninstalled Pixel Tools, if it has to do with anything.
CS4
Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 14:09:24 Reply

Ugh forgot image. How atypical...

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 15:03:16 Reply

At 8/14/10 02:09 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Ugh forgot image. How atypical...

I don't get it :/

BBS Signature
Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 15:19:01 Reply

Every time that I open the file, lineart disappears and all closed figures (like the longhorn skull) get filled in black and then it crashes.

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 15:22:47 Reply

At 8/14/10 03:19 PM, Zyphonee wrote: Every time that I open the file, lineart disappears and all closed figures (like the longhorn skull) get filled in black and then it crashes.

Ohh, it's supposed to be a skull. I assumed it was some kind of black yak :P

BBS Signature
Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-14 16:25:37 Reply

At 8/14/10 03:22 PM, Paranoia wrote: Ohh, it's supposed to be a skull. I assumed it was some kind of black yak :P

Haha, so did I.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-15 02:07:54 Reply

At 8/14/10 06:54 AM, Paranoia wrote: Since when were you a mod? :p

old news

and what happened to Keith's aura...

even older news :P

Nayhan
Nayhan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-08-15 02:54:28 Reply

At 8/15/10 02:07 AM, knugen wrote:
At 8/14/10 06:54 AM, Paranoia wrote: Since when were you a mod? :p
old news

I remember when you were modded last year in November I think it was.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click