Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-14 18:21:11 Reply

2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
TWO - ONE!!!!

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
crushy
crushy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-14 20:02:08 Reply

At 4/14/10 12:59 AM, Duchednier wrote: So i've finished my first flash game and its up for bids on FGL. The current bid is 2500$ with a sitelocked 500 as well.

Nice :) I haven't seen many decent deals through FGL so far, looks like they're finally starting to get noticed.

Oh and I have to agree with Glaiel about House, worth watching.

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-14 22:14:18 Reply

At 4/14/10 08:02 PM, crushy wrote:
At 4/14/10 12:59 AM, Duchednier wrote: So i've finished my first flash game and its up for bids on FGL. The current bid is 2500$ with a sitelocked 500 as well.
Nice :) I haven't seen many decent deals through FGL so far, looks like they're finally starting to get noticed.

From what i know they've been around for a while, the first time i heard of em was when jimp was bragging about getting 16k from penguinz :P Which would be....sometime last year :/

Oh and I have to agree with Glaiel about House, worth watching.

House is epic :D

At 4/14/10 06:21 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: 2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
WE BEAT THE SCUM 2 - 1!
TWO - ONE!!!!

Did you really?!

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-14 22:25:29 Reply

At 4/14/10 10:14 PM, Duchednier wrote: Did you really?!

Yes we did! Our first league victory against the scum for over ten years, and I was there!

ALSO, FUCK ME LOOK AT THIS GOAL.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 00:01:52 Reply

At 4/14/10 10:25 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
ALSO, *bleep* ME LOOK AT THIS GOAL.

Hey Congratulations dude!

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 00:49:03 Reply

I'll answer each of your points separately as I am not actually elaborating views of my own, but instead only responding to your views.

At 4/8/10 07:37 AM, Deadclever23 wrote: I'm not racist but I would say I'm fascist.

A fascist? Are you serious? I thought you guys were wiped off the planet in the 40's. Let's see what interesting political ideas you have to share with us, shall we?

Stuff this EU crap. It's a terrible idea. I know that if the EU became a country it would become the biggest country in the world

Hey bro. Check this out - one of them is the european union, and the other one is some random country in our world. Does it look to you like the EU would be the biggest country in the world? Also, when exactly did you get the idea that EU is going to become a country? I don't see how it could happen anywhere in the foreseeable future. The EU is an economical and political union, it's been that way for decades and I don't see why it should suddenly change. It seems like all along your post you make senseless comments because you are confused about what the European Union is and what it aims to achieve - you keep talking about the EU as a single country.

but I hate superpowers that have that much wealth, power and diversity.

Oh, so now it's personal? You think the UK should pull out of the EU because you hate countries that have too much power? That makes sense. Not only that, but you seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of the EU. The union seeks to balance the economy across Europe. You seem to be thinking that the EU will create some sort of super-country to dominate the world, where in fact it teams up with the poorer and less fortunate. You want a super power? Get France, Germany, England, and a couple other countries in Western Europe on your team and you get the majority of the wealth and political power in the western world. Also, I hate to break it to you but there's really no diversity at all in Western Europe. You brits might think that the French are from another planet just because they eat cheese and speak funny, but in reality we're all the same. You want to see some diversity? Try to unite North Korea with Germany and Syria.

There's too many different ethnicities in the EU for it to work well, it would be in the interest of the people.

Let me get this straight: you think that agricultural efforts like the CAP can't work in Europe because of a too high variety of ethnicities? What exactly is going on in your mind? Have a look at this figure - it's the total spendings of the EU (labels in the description). Over 75% of their spendings are just on agriculture and construction / infrastructure. How are their efforts going to get penalized by the "many different ethnicities"? I would like to know.

It's the kind of thing that causes revolution. Like Tsarist Russia for example. Their huge ethnic diversity made an unstable country as it was so big and so diverse it was close to impossible to control.

Aha, Tsarist Russia. Such wild references for someone who can't understand simple politics. You claim that the Russian Empire collapsed and gave place to Soviet Russia due to its size and diversity. Incredible! Let's have a look. 1848. Guy named Karl writes about his political ideas. Russia has been under autocratic control for hundreds of years. Problem is, the autocrats sucked really badly. Result? A weak Russian Empire with a very flawed political system. What a coincidence that at the same time people were spreading communist ideas around the world. Despite strong disagreements between the Bolsheviks - who call for an early revolution - and the Mensheviks - who insist that the communist uprising must wait - the Bolsheviks take control of Petrograd and spread across the entire country. You claim the revolution took place because Russia was so big and unorganized, right? Back then they had no radio, no telephone; yet the Bolsheviks successfully took control of the entirety of Russia, and not only that. Go forward to the 1930's, Stalin manages to get the entire country working together on soviet industrialization, with tremendous results. In 1941, he gathers up an immense army to defend the eastern front, and successfully blocks the nazis despite everyone thinking that the soviets don't stand a chance against the German army which is known for its great efficiency and strategical prominence. Suddenly, Russia doesn't seem so unstable, huh? Seems like after all it was not Russia's size that made it hard to control, but the incompetence of the autocrat rulers pre-1917. Please note that this has no relevance at all to the EU, which you have again mistaken for being a single country; I just felt that your foolish comparison between the EU and the Russian Empire had to be corrected.

Britain should stop concentrating on crap like the EU and start concentrating on getting everyone equal rights, opportunities and work on mixing social classes and ethnicities together in order to create a less separated Britain. Stuff fringe parties like the BNP and their rascism.

Equal rights? Pah! I laugh at your silly ideals, human. Are you implying that being in the EU distracts your country from providing equal rights to its citizens? I see no logical connection in this as a reason for your opposition to the EU. I don't know how you want your government to mix social classes and ethnicities. Maybe invite all the billionaires to a tea party with the construction workers and the black people? That's going to have such a great impact on the country. The mindless ideas that you spout are not only laughable due to their complete irrelevance to the modern world, but also can't be achieved in any realistic way. The EU is actually getting shit done: constructing infrastructure, handles agriculture, and boosts the European market. But screw that! Let's work on mixing social classes instead, because that will make a true change in our world! Cool!

Fascism and communism can mix.

Facism: extreme nationalism, full focus on internal economics, political isolation and lack of collaboration with the rest of the world. Governmental support for big companies and business.
Communism: an effort to unite the workers of the world and form a nationless society with a strong emphasis on equality and opposition to any kind of currency.

I'd love to see how you can mix those. They pretty much stand for opposite things.

A strong fasco-communo country is what is needed.

Unbelievable. Get a clue, kid. You puny teenagers with your revolutionary political ideas make me sick.

Deadclever23,

Your vulgarization of political ideologies and ignorance in historical events is an insult to the internets. The reasons you provided to support your view opposing the European union are without any form of thought and common sense. This is why I was so bold in my last reply to you. It's clear that your political views originate from vague things that you may have heard people say, or seen on television or on the internet, and not from actual thought and research or education.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 01:05:36 Reply

TV Shows

I regularly watch The Simpsons, Family Guy, and The Big Bang Theory. Simpsons has always been nice. I prefer the earlier seasons, all of them are fairly enjoyable. With family guy it's kind of an on-and-off relationship. I used to love it, then I hated it, and now I don't really know. They often have very lame and overdone jokes (bird is the word ... need I say more?), but overall they do have a lot of funny moments, so it's all good. I hear you ask "what about big bang theory?". Well, my friend, that shows sucks greasy donkey balls. Ever since they started to incorporate Penny more often in the plots and made her date Leonard, the show has been nothing but a pile of crap. They eliminated every last bit of personality that the characters had (albeit not much) and turned all of them into complete stereotypes (which they pretty much were already). Their jokes suck. Their social drama is terrible. Their characters are boring, uninteresting. Initially I had hoped that it could be something that would appeal to slightly less dumber audiences, but turns out it's the opposite.

I can't count the number of times I've re-watched all futurama episodes. The characters are great, besides Bender they're all pretty much unique. I have to admit that most of their jokes are funny in a stupid way, not because they are especially witty and intelligent (although they do have a surprisingly large amount of intelligent jokes, often revolving around farnsworth and science). Looking forward to the new episodes on June.

Horse race announcer: It's a quantum finish! And the winner is-
Professor Farnsworth: No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
hihihihi

I also really like Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm. Also, I tried the office since so many people here recommended it, and it's nice.

BBS Signature
Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 10:46:02 Reply

At 4/14/10 08:02 PM, crushy wrote:

Last deal I got was about £3000 when I accidentially sparked off a bidding war :p That was over one and a half years ago though.

How's the market at the moment?

BBS Signature
Depredation
Depredation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 11:15:22 Reply

At 4/15/10 01:05 AM, Toast wrote:
Horse race announcer: It's a quantum finish! And the winner is-
Professor Farnsworth: No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
hihihihi
I also really like Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm. Also, I tried the office since so many people here recommended it, and it's nice.

You have a good taste in television. My personal favourites during my lifetime have been The Wire, BOB, Futurama, Early Family Guy, Simpsons, Dexter, QI and Generation Kill.

And speaking of quantum physics, scientists have finally created a random number generator using the laws of quantum entanglement.

Sponsorship

Those amounts seem astronomical, i'll be sure to use it for my next game. Out of interest, what are the ethics with getting a game involving newgrounds charachters sponsored? I'm not planning on it, purely wondering if copyright would be an issue/if people would be morally objected to it.

And the new Slash album is amazing.
Deadclever23 those are some moronic statements.

BBS Signature
Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 12:59:21 Reply

At 4/15/10 11:15 AM, Depredation wrote: And speaking of quantum physics, scientists have finally created a random number generator using the laws of quantum entanglement.

Oh, finally! I've had to put several game ideas on hold because I've felt that a pseudo-random number generator would be way too biased.
Now, all I need is a setup like that in the article and a server to send the data. That's only about £150-£200 in total, right?

Yes, I do understand the real value of true random number generators
At 4/15/10 11:15 AM, Depredation wrote: Out of interest, what are the ethics with getting a game involving newgrounds charachters sponsored? I'm not planning on it, purely wondering if copyright would be an issue/if people would be morally objected to it.

If you're getting it sponsored by Newgrounds, great.
If not, you're playing on rough territory. I don't think that game sites, especially larger ones such as Armor Games and Kongregate, would be keen on the idea at all, especially considering how they are essentially in competition with Newgrounds (not in a cut-throat kind of way, but I still feel that they would be less inclined to pay to advertise a website to which they could potentially lose their audience). Hence, I feel that unless the character is a small bonus addition (and even better if they are known widely across Flash gaming sites), the idea could decrease the game's worth by a fair amount.
Of course, I'm answering based on simple reasoning, so I could be totally wrong.

Also, it probably wouldn't be chased up on copyright anyway (not saying that it is perfectly legal, mind), but it is always courteous to check up with the owner regardless.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 15:42:01 Reply

At 4/15/10 12:49 AM, Toast wrote: A fascist? Are you serious? I thought you guys were wiped off the planet in the 40's.

teehee, north korea

BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 21:22:01 Reply

Berserk Studio RAPED launch games !!

School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 22:15:50 Reply

I cant stand people with bad table manners , it gets to me so bad , like people that keep their mouths open when they chew and then make it worse by slapping their toungue around making noises urgh.

Or when people try and "discretely" use their finger to push up some food from the edge of the plate onto their fork.

The worst by far though is people that try and have a conversation across me , often i need to leave the table , just the THOUGHT of two people talking over my plate is disgusting.

Also Ben (archon) seems to think my new intro I made sucks and its too plain.To be fair to him im putting it out here too.

nobody

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 22:24:44 Reply

At 4/15/10 10:15 PM, HDXmike wrote: Or when people try and "discretely" use their finger to push up some food from the edge of the plate onto their fork.

People try to non-continuously and distinctly use their finger to push food? I am confused.

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-15 22:30:17 Reply

At 4/15/10 10:15 PM, HDXmike wrote:
Also Ben (archon) seems to think my new intro I made sucks and its too plain.To be fair to him im putting it out here too.

I think it's cool and simple. I would just change the background primary blue color to a more desaturated bluish-grayish-(purplish slightly) color. Or something like that

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 04:32:51 Reply

At 4/15/10 10:46 AM, Paranoia wrote: How's the market at the moment?

it's keeping it's pattern of getting an extra digit every 2 or 3 years

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 04:42:05 Reply

That's great news, I could use some money...

BBS Signature
doctormario
doctormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 10:48:47 Reply

Bad table manners can be pretty foul, but it really depends where you live, and who you are eating with. However, the talking through conversations thing is a universal deal breaker. It's just plain old rude.

As for your intro, I rather like how understated it is. We live in a time where everything is 'RAMPED UP TO THE EXTREME!!!'. Cheers to you for doing something subdued. It's crisp and very professional looking.

BBS Signature
turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 15:48:33 Reply

At 4/15/10 10:15 PM, HDXmike wrote: Also Ben (archon) seems to think my new intro I made sucks and its too plain.To be fair to him im putting it out here too.

now actually make something to put it at the beginning of

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 16:12:51 Reply

Flash sponsorship seems to be less about getting traffic now as it is about cementing the size of the sites epeen. Some of these figures that I've seen just don't seem as if they could possibly make a direct return, so either these sites are: insane, are forward thinking a lot, or just want a big epeen than the other sites.

Not that this is a bad thing, more money for flash dev people, although I think eventually it's going to get so ridiculous that the market "crashes". Some of these prices are either insane or magnificent.

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 16:28:12 Reply

What the hell...paddling is legal in 20 states still? Jesus, what is wrong with us...

If a teacher ever hit me with a paddle they'd be shitting splinters for a week.

Oh South, how you constantly make me happy to be from the North.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 17:31:30 Reply

At 4/15/10 10:15 PM, HDXmike wrote: Also Ben (archon) seems to think my new intro I made sucks and its too plain.To be fair to him im putting it out here too.

:P

It's just a circle with your name written in it. Big whoop...

I know you're trying to go for that simplistic style, but you just didn't do it quite right. It looks like you tried too hard to make it simple.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 18:24:29 Reply

On the topic of flash sponsorship, some games get some insanely high figures.

If it hasn't been mentioned before, the game SteamBirds was up on FGL. The highest bid it go was for $45,000. But the develepor ended up going with a much lower deal (though still significantly high) because the terms for that high offer were too restricting.

Article Source

Dusty-Gorilla
Dusty-Gorilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Filmmaker
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 19:40:00 Reply

I enjoy using the Flash software from Adobe/Macromedia.

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-16 20:18:08 Reply

At 4/16/10 07:40 PM, Dusty-Gorilla wrote: I enjoy using the Flash software from Adobe/Macromedia.

Well hai dare. i dont no flash but me iz learning.

Oh and stay clear of Toast.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Jimp
Jimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-17 04:58:45 Reply

At 4/16/10 06:24 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Article Source

I still cant understand how they arent making any money from ads, they arent the most impressive play statistics ive ever seen but they should still be making loads more than that!

FGL seems to be naturally increasing as more sponsors and developers are signing up, and thats opening up increased opportunities for devs. February was insane with the total sales $150k above the previous highest month (linky). Not sure if this is a good thing for developers overall though, the market is becoming more saturated and while the handful of top games sell for massive lumps of cash like clockwork, there are hundreds that sell for barely anything.

Hopefully it'll balance out a bit in the future, and hopefully the market doesnt crash after all this investment thats being put into it.

On another note has anyone here applied for the Mochi Game developers Fund?

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-17 10:43:32 Reply

Why do all of these random problems appear AFTER I submit something? I had 20 different people test Newgrounds Radio for me, and it worked perfectly for all of them.

Now, it is supposedly crashing and I have no power to remove it and try to fix bugs.

Does it work or does it not work?

Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-17 10:44:50 Reply

At 4/17/10 04:58 AM, Jimp wrote: Not sure if this is a good thing for developers overall though, the market is becoming more saturated and while the handful of top games sell for massive lumps of cash like clockwork, there are hundreds that sell for barely anything.

Sounds good for people like me who suck at making small, quick games I guess :p

I'm sure people were talking about the market reaching saturation point yeeeears ago, though. I'm not sure how far things could have changed since then.

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-17 10:57:32 Reply

At 4/17/10 10:43 AM, Archon68 wrote: Now, it is supposedly crashing and I have no power to remove it and try to fix bugs.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/53 3490
Does it work or does it not work?

heh, I built a similar project a while back. Mine was different in that it was focused on playlists, so you could create a playlist of all your favourite tracks and save it, they could then be shared between anyone. Never did finish it.

I think that's very nice Archon, if you added playlists it'd be perfect :-) A lot of people have wanted the ability to create Playlists, would definitely boost popularity... a lot. The history feature is good :D

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-17 11:09:05 Reply

At 4/17/10 10:57 AM, citricsquid wrote: I think that's very nice Archon, if you added playlists it'd be perfect :-) A lot of people have wanted the ability to create Playlists, would definitely boost popularity... a lot. The history feature is good :D

So it works, I assume? Good...

As for playlists, that'd be cool. Maybe I'll add that feature in an update. Mine focuses more around the visualizations of the music, though.