yeah i miss the old reg lounge too haha

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 05:35 PM, Archon68 wrote: You just aren't giving it a chance.

Apart from the fact i said i would see how it goes twice , yeah i havent given it a chance at all...
Its as if you never even read anything archon , you are the one being presumptive and giving little reasoning for your statements, not I.

You might as well stop trying to make me look like the bad guy now its not working

aha ! you see what ive done ? a classic archon statment , as if you know whats in peoples minds.

Also Gust +1 agreement , i remember when i thought silver light was going to be the biggest thing ever , i hope someone gets it out of its rut .

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 05:53 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: Quit while they're ahead?

it was in quatation marks , i thought youd get the sarcasm , they are going backwards and downhill

Their goal is simply to keep selling the trainwreck by pretending they're adding new features as long as you dipshits don't catch on that it's shit that gets *worse* with every version.

Us dipshits ? wait a friggin second there , my point for the past few posts has been how they are making a mess and trying to cover it up with all those gimmicks.I do hope that i wasnt intended to be part of that us.

Besides , the only reason i have CS4 is because i was bought it as a present.Ill keep it around for convenience , one day though i just feel it in my bones adobes incompetence will catch up to them and at last decent platforms will roam freely and ill be able to ditch that bloatware they call flash.

Funnily enough , when i first used flash i thought it was the best thing in the world, graphics and programming in one bit of software ?!too good to be true !? ahahaha oh if only i had known :P

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Oh, Mike, you are hypocrisy at it's finest.

turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 02:01 PM, HDXmike wrote: Lacks animator friendly workspace or advanced animation tools of most professional animation software

what do you need other than key frames, layers, onion skin and brush tool?

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 06:58 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 3/28/10 02:01 PM, HDXmike wrote: Lacks animator friendly workspace or advanced animation tools of most professional animation software
what do you need other than key frames, layers, onion skin and brush tool?

You don't even need all of those fancy shmancy tools; true animators do it all with a pencil on paper!

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 06:40 PM, Archon68 wrote: Oh, Mike, you are hypocrisy at it's finest.

Ellaborate please

seeing as you havent said anything for the entire page apart from some un explained one liners

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 07:53 PM Reply

CS4 added enough new features that are useful for games
*Pixel Bender for graphical effects
*Dynamic sound generation
*Vector.<Type> (i use this more than Array now, in fact I almost never use Array anymore)

CS5 hasnt added anything interesting, but the build I have is like 10 builds outdated and i need to grab the new one sometime.

iPhone publishing is too slow for practical use

GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 06:34 PM, HDXmike wrote: my point for the past few posts has been how they are making a mess and trying to cover it up with all those gimmicks.

They haven't been making a mess, it's what's been happening since Flash 6. That C API you discovered, been around since v8 or earlier even.

At 3/28/10 06:58 PM, turtleco wrote: what do you need other than key frames, layers, onion skin and brush tool?

http://blogs.toonboom.com/professional/?
p=315

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 07:54 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: http://blogs.toonboom.com/professional/?
p=315

only major thing i see different in this video is handy z depth without having to convert stuff to 3d objects. Other than that he totally neglected to try using a graphic symbol and changing its still-frame rather than swapping movie clips...

i guess parenting could be good too but i haven't seen any extremely handy tools for frame by frame animation from either one. toonboom's parenting hierarchy could be neat too. I'll have to try it out sometime.

It's strange how 'economical' animation techniques have become. I feel like sometimes our tools are too limiting and teaching us the wrong way to do things. For network television and tight deadlines it's apparent that we need these bone tools to help use static limbs for characters, but it just looks so much better doing everything frame by frame. I'm interested to see how Princess and the Frog was set up in toonboom with things that couldn't be done in Flash apparently (even though everything was frame by frame for the most part).

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 11:19 PM Reply

OMG im not naming any names but all of you that have been arguing that flash cs4 and onward are bad are just plain dumb k? k heres why.

You say "oh they keep adding shit" but the thing is, THEY KEEP ADDING, and they're making it easier for the yung-uns to pick it up too. For example, the new motion tween takes some getting used to, but beleive it or not its actually directly based off of after effects's method of tweening complete with motion editor which is LOVELY!

Bone tool isn't terrible, in fact it makes inverse kinematics a thing of the past, if you customize your own brush the spray tool is lovely for spekely stuff, the 3D tool is GREAT for lots of stuff too. I've been experimenting and plan on putting it to use soon enough.

What I'm trying to get at, is while they keep adding things that people may not want, they're not TAKING anything from it. Its not like they're going "well, nobody REALLY likes the pen tool so were getting rid of it", its still the same program as flash MX/04 but with MORE built into it so that you have MORE tools at your disposal. Now i'm speaking from an animators point of view, as glaiel pointed out they also added alot on the programming side, probably more than the tools side.

On a side topic that HDX mike brought up:
toonboom is much more professiona and advancedl in terms of creating animations, i recently got a copy with my school and have been playing with it a bit, but it doesn't make flash look like shit. It just focuses everything about it into traditional pencil/paper animation, which is really neat. my MAIN problem with it is the toonboom-flash intergration, once i figure out how to move a toon-boom made animation INTO flash to work the preloaders and menu's, i'll PROBABLY switch to full toonboom for exile and what not.
(If anybody knows how to do this, let me know as i'm totally interested and cant find much on the web)

-JD

turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 06:59 PM, Archon68 wrote: You don't even need all of those fancy shmancy tools; true animators do it all with a pencil on paper!

waaaaaaaayyyy ahead of you, old news pal

well I guess I should try toon boom, but unless it makes animating in fbf easier, I'm skeptical.

but If I buy a new version of an animating software, I'll buy toon boom for sure.

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 3/28/10 11:33 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 3/28/10 06:59 PM, Archon68 wrote: You don't even need all of those fancy shmancy tools; true animators do it all with a pencil on paper!
waaaaaaaayyyy ahead of you, old news pal

well I guess I should try toon boom, but unless it makes animating in fbf easier, I'm skeptical.

but If I buy a new version of an animating software, I'll buy toon boom for sure.

keep it up man. you will be wayyyy ahead of your classes if you do animation in college

http://www.thebackalleys.com/forum/index .php?showtopic=9003&st=0

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 28th, 2010 @ 11:48 PM Reply

forgot to mention i'm in his class. we were cracking up the whole time

BBS Signature
turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 01:34 AM Reply

is the flash reg lounge really turning into a bunch of segwaaaaaaaaayyyysss??????

which reminds me, click on thiiissss liinnnkn

BBS Signature
Kevin
Kevin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 03:22 AM Reply

Hey, you may be 'bad' at Actionscript...

But hey, at least you aren't like these people.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 06:42 AM Reply

All this talk about skill and so forth makes me realize, I suck at coding.

More so due to that I never actually do it. Even though I've been at it for 3 years mine combined time doing can't be more than an hour a week. Probably less.

Oh well, I enjoy, stuff you guys, I just need to go and do it.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 09:28 AM Reply

So after reading all this, you guys say pick ToonBoom over flash? I'm gonna start flash seriously this summer and I don't wanna get with the wrong Program.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 3/28/10 11:19 PM, Duchednier wrote: OMG im not naming any names but all of you that have been arguing that flash cs4 and onward are bad are just plain dumb k? k heres why.

Flash 6 and onward.

You say "oh they keep adding shit" but the thing is, THEY KEEP ADDING, and they're making it easier for the yung-uns to pick it up too. For example, the new motion tween takes some getting used to, but beleive it or not its actually directly based off of after effects's method of tweening complete with motion editor which is LOVELY!

That's not the point of the argument. The new tweening is a good thing, one of the few useful additions that have been made, along with improvements to Actionscript in v7, filters in v8, AS3 in CS3, stuff like that.

The rest have mostly been useless bullet points to sell new versions. In addition, each new version requires like twice the resources of the previous for no reason, culminating so far in CS4 which initially did not run properly on 4gb computers.

its still the same program as flash MX/04 but with MORE built into it so that you have MORE tools at your disposal.

That's normal. Except for other programs those would be minor versions that don't each need to be purchased, accompanying the annual conferences full of applause.

Now i'm speaking from an animators point of view, as glaiel pointed out they also added alot on the programming side, probably more than the tools side.

Those additions were minor. And they weren't work on Flashes part.
Except PixelBender, which is still however implemented so badly that for serious use you'd want to use the haXe assembler.

my MAIN problem with it is the toonboom-flash intergration, once i figure out how to move a toon-boom made animation INTO flash to work the preloaders and menu's, i'll PROBABLY switch to full toonboom for exile and what not.

Just import the SWF to Flash? Or if that works as badly as always, I think Flash now properly imports it if you pack it as SWC? You can do that for custom files with the 'compc' executable which should be somewhere in your Flash program files.

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 09:28 AM, Farza wrote: So after reading all this, you guys say pick ToonBoom over flash? I'm gonna start flash seriously this summer and I don't wanna get with the wrong Program.

You're going to want to stick with Flash if you're interested at all in making things interactive. If you want to do nothing but animation, go for ToonBoom.

Coolanton
Coolanton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 07:24 PM Reply

why does this have 1800+ pages?

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 07:39 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 07:24 PM, Coolanton wrote: why does this have 1800+ pages?

We are just that cool.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 08:56 PM Reply

Actually that is a good question that's almost an average of 10 pages per day. Used to be insane in the membrane all up in here...

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 09:16 PM Reply

Because this is where all the cool flashers of NG unite.

Except me :(

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 08:56 PM, Starogre wrote:
Actually that is a good question that's almost an average of 10 pages per day

No it's not... 28/9/06 to 30/3/10 is 1279 days.

1856 / 1279 = 1.4 pages per day.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 09:16 PM, Farza wrote:
Because this is where all the cool flashers of NG unite.
Except me :(

Flashers of course in the most LITERAL of the sense

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 29th, 2010 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 3/29/10 09:30 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 3/29/10 08:56 PM, Starogre wrote:
Actually that is a good question that's almost an average of 10 pages per day
No it's not... 28/9/06 to 30/3/10 is 1279 days.

1856 / 1279 = 1.4 pages per day.

lmao oops adding too many zeroes whoa there my bad

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 02:17 AM Reply

I've just started drinking and I must say, Guinness is by far the best drink in the world.

doctormario
doctormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 10:54 AM Reply

Indeed...especially if you're getting it on tap in the UK. It's still plenty good here, but it's way better over there.
Back me up UK drunks. :)

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Mar. 30th, 2010 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 3/30/10 02:17 AM, Penboy wrote: I've just started drinking and I must say, Guinness is by far the best drink in the world.

I disagree. Strongly. I tried drinking it when I was in Dublin for a weekend and I didn't like it one bit. Me not liking a beer is a very rare occurrence, I guess it's an acquired taste. Maybe it requires some sort of Anglo-Guiness-Beer gene which people from the mainland miss. You should try some Dutch or Belgian speciality beers.

BBS Signature