New Topic Respond to this Topic
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 20:22:47 Reply

I hate how I'm the only Flash programmer in my grade. All of the other programmers I know either do HTML, which is hardly a programming language, Javascript, or they "program" on their graphing calculators using BASIC.

Speaking of which, I've come up with some pretty clever programs on my calculator. I have programs to do formulas for me (Quadratic Formula, Distance Formula, Sequences, Compound and Continuous Interest, etc.). I even programmed a Guessing Game and Blackjack with it. Everyone in my Math class is jellyous.

I guess it's a good thing that not everyone programs, though. I can easily impress other students and my teachers with a simple Flash app. I programmed a Jeopardy! game for my Language Arts class last year and my entire group got 100% and extra credit for it. The teacher even wanted me to make a template for her so she could reuse it for her own purposes.

It was also fun because I laughed hysterically when another group presented their Jeopardy game. It was one of those super-glitchy PowerPoint templates. :P

Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 20:30:41 Reply

HEY! Don't hate >:(

7th grade. Good times. Good times.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 20:31:08 Reply

55,000th post, bitches. I've been waiting weeks for this moment!

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 21:33:37 Reply

At 2/22/10 08:31 PM, Archon68 wrote: 55,000th post, bitches. I've been waiting weeks for this moment!

Must fight urge to delete this post...

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 21:35:51 Reply

At 2/22/10 08:31 PM, Archon68 wrote: 55,000th post, bitches. I've been waiting weeks for this moment!

I call 60,000

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 22:33:24 Reply

At 9/28/06 11:10 AM, Rustygames wrote: get a life

The first ever post on the This Flash Reg Lounge. Isn't it a charm?

that's means Kirk, delete it. The next post is way better.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Ishkabibbles
Ishkabibbles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-22 22:59:17 Reply

At 2/22/10 10:33 PM, windowskiller wrote:
At 9/28/06 11:10 AM, Rustygames wrote: get a life
The first ever post on the This Flash Reg Lounge. Isn't it a charm?

that's means Kirk, delete it. The next post is way better.

I guess you didn't get my subtle message last time. Let me make things a little more clear
You....post.......way......too.....many.
.....fucking.........times.......in.....
.the........reg.......lounge

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 03:56:12 Reply

At 2/23/10 03:18 AM, citricsquid wrote:
At 2/22/10 06:55 PM, Toast wrote: you'd think that by now, nearly 5 years later, we would all be amazing programmers.
getting comfortable and giving up, fuck yeah! Spamburger was 11 when he was first around here wasn't he? He was a good programmer, not sure what he's doing now.

if i remember correctly he was a couple of months older than me, and he signed quite a while after me, which means he was probably 12. But that's still young as fuck. I think he was trying to learn C++, but I have no idea what he's doing now. Wouldn't be surprised if he quit programming, which is possibly why he doesn't come here anymore.

Now that we're talking about it, I realise that I haven't really done anything substantial in flash/programming in the last 3 years. I tried making games a few times, but I haven't even opened flash in 8 months or something. i don't know why i even come here anymore

probably because i love you guys so much
or do i?

BBS Signature
Jimp
Jimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 06:31:23 Reply

I find the more that I use Flash the less time I spend here, which is probably no coincidence :)

New game SushiCat just released over on AG with Joeybetz, should be on Newgrounds next week but I like showing you guys things! Let me know what you think!

Pretty pleased with how it came out, some of the level design is a bit shoddy but I didnt have any input in that. Still not bad for 7 days work :)

BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 11:59:53 Reply

Doc Mario, I kinda feel you... but not completely since you have a good decade+ on me. Commodores were weening out when I was growing up, but I did learn to program BASIC on a TSR-80 back in the day. These new kids have it made. I remember trying to make a cartoon when I was 15 on Corel Move... which was a SHITTY piece of software, and really... in 1995.

Even trying to host a website, learning HTML in '95-'96 was tough. Internet was basically AOL, and you could program on their user pages. Not many common people even knew what a hosting company or ISP was, or how it worked. The internet was basically for IMing and Chat rooms. If you wanted to research something, you just popped in your latest Encarda Encyclopedia CD.

I remember the first time I saw on a bag of Doritos "Visit us on our website, www.Doritos.com" I thought to myself "Why in the world does Doritos need a website? Just so we can order Doritos online or something?"

It didn't make sense that they needed a website.

Now, everyone has a website (or at least a social networking page)

So, you could program.. 5000 lines for what would basically be Centipede.. but couldn't really publish anything..
You could animate.. it would take FOREVER, and you could never really publish anything...
The internet was for typing to people... (Which, oddly is what we're using it for right this second)

Kinda sucked.

As far as cats on Keyboards.

I have two grown and just got a kitten on Friday. The two grown ones love to walk and lay on me and the girl's laptops, and many a times in the morning I'll awaken to find they're trying to find a file named sDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSDLK on my hard drive, unsuccessfully.

Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 12:11:26 Reply

At 2/23/10 11:59 AM, Johnny wrote: I remember the first time I saw on a bag of Doritos "Visit us on our website, www.Doritos.com" I thought to myself "Why in the world does Doritos need a website? Just so we can order Doritos online or something?"

It didn't make sense that they needed a website.

That's soooooo true. I can't remember exactly, but I think my first experience with seeing a product based website was with doritos as well, or some other food product. I remember the confusion because who would order food over the internet.

One thing is true though, the internet is, and will always be, just an elaborate telephone system. I'm fairly certain the next step for sharing information is going to be through holographic displays. Holography is becoming more developed as time passes, and holographic data storage is around the corner. Maybe within the next 25 years, we'll be begging obi-wan to help us as he is our only hope.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 12:14:23 Reply

At 2/23/10 12:11 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
Holography

Is it bad I had to read "Holography" about 5 times out loud before realising how to actually pronounce it.

Johnny
Johnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 12:20:19 Reply

At 2/23/10 12:11 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Holography

I think before that, the next step is complete, 100% integration of mobile devices for communication purposes. Whether it's something the size of a phone, or a PipBoy from fallout3... I think full access to the world at our fingertips is the next step with complete audio, video and text capabilities. They're making strides towards it, but it's not mainstream yet.

Basically, grab your iPhone-looking device, look at it and click on a user's image. He'll get a beep and press the button on his device, and now you guys can see each other and talk to one another. You could play a game together, instantly.

No phone calls, or logging on, or accessing the web.

We are all online, all the time, wherever we are and can reach anyone else that is whenever we want in very direct, intimate fashions.

Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 14:38:58 Reply

At 2/22/10 07:59 PM, Archon68 wrote: I hate people like that. I also hate how schools/teachers assume IE is the best browser. Here, we can get suspended for downloading or opening Fire Fox or Chrome. WTF?

I love my school IT staff. We asked for Chrome (Firefox was already on there) and they put it on there and then. Then we asked for them to add the Flash Player on Chrome for "studying", and they happily did so.

At 2/22/10 08:22 PM, Archon68 wrote: Speaking of which, I've come up with some pretty clever programs on my calculator.

I wish I had a programmable calculator. Most aren't allowed in exams though.

I guess it's a good thing that not everyone programs, though. I can easily impress other students and my teachers with a simple Flash app.

For a biology presentation, I once made a little animation to display what was going on. It was absolutely shit (I'm no artist, that's for sure), but afterwards, loads of people were amazed that I had made an animation and thought it was fantastic.

Also, my cat has decided to sleep on me. Since it is on top of one of my hands, I can no longer type properly without disturbing her. Still, aww...

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

VanVeenGames
VanVeenGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 16:14:56 Reply

Anyone else thrilled about the new Flash coming up, CS5?
I'm not looking forwards to the buid-in physics, as I have come so far myself, but I do like the iPhone support!
Will AS3 have multitouch support?

Vexagon is dead. This is VanVeenGames!

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 16:19:20 Reply

If CS5 is anything like CS4 forget about it.

Your PC WILL die on you.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 17:34:35 Reply

At 2/23/10 04:19 PM, windowskiller wrote: Your PC WILL die on you.

Get a Mac.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 17:39:09 Reply

At 2/23/10 04:19 PM, windowskiller wrote: If CS5 is anything like CS4 forget about it.

Your PC WILL die on you.

Vex uses a mac. A pretty fucking good one at that.

CS5 is old news really just a matter of time now , youll still need a dev liscense from apple and besides i dont care that much about Iphone deving , Nexus one and other multitouch android phones , thats where its at ! I hope to get a nexus one soon , it kills the iphone , sure it doesnt have as many "apps" but its so much better as a device and has way more potential than the iphone , besides , 90% of the iphone "apps" are just web pages cached really , and about 60 % of those need internet to funtion anyway , i have a lot more reasons but i dont want to get into a phone fight.

I dont know whats your beef with the physics engine vex, its way slower and less flexible than any of yours !

nobody

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 17:43:56 Reply

At 2/23/10 05:39 PM, HDXmike wrote:
I dont know whats your beef with the physics engine vex, its way slower and less flexible than any of yours !

i can stretch my legs apart at about 60 degrees, how's that?

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 17:57:33 Reply

Mogo-Mogo

There's some serious bullshit going on with this game. If you want to see the solutions you have to add the facebook app. What a load of wank.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 18:05:22 Reply

At 2/23/10 05:43 PM, Toast wrote: i can stretch my legs apart at about 60 degrees, how's that?

aw toast , you so craazay :P

nobody

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 18:09:07 Reply

At 2/23/10 05:57 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Mogo-Mogo

There's some serious bullshit going on with this game. If you want to see the solutions you have to add the facebook app. What a load of wank.

"The walkthrough is also available on King.com and on YouTube (although there are no links to them direclty in the game)."
Author's Response

The game is a bit meh compared to Little Wheel. The game design is questionable (some rubbish 'challenges' in there), and the programming is a touch off (the buttons sometimes don't work unless you take your pointer off the button and back on again). Still, the animation is very nice.
My friend and I were wondering if they used any engines or external programs to create that 3D look. Anyone know?

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-23 21:01:57 Reply

At 2/22/10 09:35 PM, windowskiller wrote:
I call 60,000

My current goal is to get post #55,555. Then about a year I'll get #66,666. }:)

Inglor
Inglor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 07:29:32 Reply

At 2/22/10 08:22 PM, Archon68 wrote: I hate how I'm the only Flash programmer in my grade. All of the other programmers I know either do HTML, which is hardly a programming language,

It's not, a programming language is used to create programs, HTML is a markup language used to "tell" the browser where to place objects

Javascript,

Again, it's a scripting language (then again so is flash AS...), it's very different from a programming language

or they "program" on their graphing calculators using BASIC.

That actually is a programming language :P

It was also fun because I laughed hysterically when another group presented their Jeopardy game. It was one of those super-glitchy PowerPoint templates. :P

Well, what you should do is always try to get better :) I suggest something modern like Java which is great for conceptual understanding of stuff...

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 11:04:37 Reply

happy birthday UnknownFury! He's 18 now

Sorry i wasnt able to contribute to the complicated things you guys talk about nowadays :(((

None

adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 11:53:50 Reply

so pico days coming up, anyone wanna make a simple pico turn based rpg? or anything else i dont really mind? pm if you do :3

BBS Signature
Coaly
Coaly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 13:34:31 Reply

Shutter island was a great movie.

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 14:46:10 Reply

I hate those days when every time you fix something, you break two things in the process...

At 2/24/10 01:34 PM, Coaly wrote: Shutter island was a great movie.

Gonna see it on friday. It looks great.

BBS Signature
TimeFly-Studios
TimeFly-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 15:49:46 Reply

Just started programming an RPG. Never before realized how complex they are. Always expected them to be easy but a lot of work, but all the objects and handlers for everything is going to be really complex. Trying to program an RPG non-class based must be hell. Thank God for classes.

Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-02-24 18:49:11 Reply

you are gay fuck you. *ogre jus happens 2 be my buddy i aint the type of brother for you to start testing give me a smith and wessun i have nigus addressing

God. Can someone delete all the Wasim alts?

I am a FAB

BBS Signature