New Topic Respond to this Topic
jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-15 12:04:36 Reply

At 1/14/10 02:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: My expert opinion (I am not an expert) is that mochi thinks that flash game profit-potential will take a dip or even a steep fall once the economy recovers, so they sold it off while it was still worth a ton

My expert opinion (I am not an expert either) is that when a company is worth nearly 7-8x their VC funding that it's a no-brainer to sell. 700% return investment in that few of years is phenomenal to the investors.

Hi there!

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-15 13:28:35 Reply

At 1/15/10 12:04 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 1/14/10 02:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: My expert opinion (I am not an expert)
My expert opinion (I am not an expert either)

Then who's supposed to be the expert here?

turtleco
turtleco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-15 17:32:55 Reply

anyone else in MA currently seeing nothing but non-stop commercials for the elections for senate seat?

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-15 19:51:58 Reply

At 1/15/10 05:32 PM, turtleco wrote: anyone else in MA currently seeing nothing but non-stop commercials for the elections for senate seat?

when I was there for christmas / new years I didn't see a single one

zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-15 21:30:41 Reply

HAHAHAHA.
Go watch now !

School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 01:52:23 Reply

At 1/15/10 09:30 PM, zrb wrote: HAHAHAHA.
Go watch now !

You have got to be kidding me

BBS Signature
adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 07:40:05 Reply

Just released my new game : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/52 4638

Play please :D

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 11:11:25 Reply

At 1/16/10 07:40 AM, adman1993 wrote: Just released my new game : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/52 4638

lol! The game is so positive about poor playing. Its like the positive version of wii fit :P

adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 11:19:58 Reply

At 1/16/10 11:11 AM, Duchednier wrote:
At 1/16/10 07:40 AM, adman1993 wrote: Just released my new game : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/52 4638

lol! The game is so positive about poor playing. Its like the positive version of wii fit :P

is that a good thing? I don't even know what that means?!

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 13:12:59 Reply

Hooray for Tom Deaap!

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 13:23:48 Reply

At 1/16/10 11:19 AM, adman1993 wrote:
At 1/16/10 11:11 AM, Duchednier wrote:

is that a good thing? I don't even know what that means?!

I was probably pretty vague... i had JUST woke up, possible hangover, and tried it lol!

What i meant was, i was too lazy to press Z or X to shoot, so i was just kinda dodging shit with the arrow keys, and the game was all "GOOD JOB!" and "NOW YOU"RE GETTING IT!" and i was like "yaay! I'm accomplished! :P"

adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 14:31:32 Reply

Haha well I'm glad you enjoyed it! Any recomendations for a sequal?

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 16:02:19 Reply

At 1/16/10 02:31 PM, adman1993 wrote: Haha well I'm glad you enjoyed it! Any recomendations for a sequal?

Well because i'm primarily an animator and storyteller, i reccomend putting a story around it. Have some cutscenes too and stuff, but i have that mindset for everything. Like even tetris...

Hmm..gameplay wise, add in difficulty modes, more types of enemies, upgrades to your ship, maybe collectibles in the air, that kinda thing? :/

JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 16:57:21 Reply

Also, LOL FAIL

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 17:43:57 Reply

At 1/16/10 04:57 PM, Duchednier wrote: Also, LOL FAIL

It's also very much like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai, among with countless others.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 17:49:33 Reply

At 1/16/10 05:43 PM, PBass wrote:
At 1/16/10 04:57 PM, Duchednier wrote: Also, LOL FAIL
It's also very much like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai, among with countless others.

Those are the two that i first thought of, you can pretty much write any of the scripts by saying

"A soldier is a part of a mission to attack the _____ (japanese, alien, native) people, and ends up switching sides. "

heh

Coaly
Coaly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 17:55:02 Reply

Wait are you guys saying that hollywood movies tend to follow a few generic plot outlines? I am blown away by this knowledge.

BBS Signature
PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 18:01:06 Reply

At 1/16/10 05:49 PM, Duchednier wrote: "A soldier is a part of a mission to attack the _____ (japanese, alien, native) people, and ends up switching sides. "

The same formula is also used in comedies in the social scale. For example, the terrible movie Band Camp.

They're never friendly at first. Then they grow to like the other person/group. Then they get busted. Then redemption.

But hey, as long as it's entertaining it can be as cliche as it wants. The security leader in Avatar was about as cliche as cartoon villain, but I really liked him as a character for some reason.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

BlackClown
BlackClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 18:03:49 Reply

At 1/16/10 05:55 PM, Coaly wrote: Wait are you guys saying that hollywood movies tend to follow a few generic plot outlines? I am blown away by this knowledge.

Yeah I'm sure they thought they were the first ones to announce it. Alert the presses people repeat things.

doctormario
doctormario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 18:06:33 Reply

Let's not for get this one...

Once upon a time, this nobody kid gets thrust into an epic battle between the forces of good and evil, and manages to save the day, against all odds.

Yeah... that works for just about every Star Wars movie, War Games, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Last Starfighter, Dune, blah blah blah...

BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 18:28:26 Reply

At 1/16/10 06:06 PM, doctormario wrote: Let's not for get this one...

Or woman/man doesn't believe in love and another woman/man convinces him it's the cool thing to do.

Or bad boy, but ace_________ goes against the grain, plays by his own rules and wins the battle/fight.

Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 19:48:20 Reply

don't forget the whole opposites attract romance storyline and the "i am the only one who can stop this so i will shoot anyone who gets in my way" action storyline.

John was a great dentist with horrible teeth, while jane was a horrible dentist with perfect teeth. together they form the ultimate world saving alliance. but will it end in love or tragedy?

Sig made by me
Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor
Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 19:56:34 Reply

One thing that caught my attention in this Disney book that PBass and many others have referenced a lot on these forums, is that Disney thought every story possible has already been conceived. He says that it's all about how the story is told. It's not bad if stories are repeated. It would just be nice to see some other more original ones.

I think a lot of peoples' eyes would be opened if they based more stories off books' stories rather than other successful Hollywood films. It's kinda like Newgrounds here. People base their work off other local hits and fail to realize there's an infinite number of other stories they could possibly tell from books.

But I'm not going to rant much more. I just think there's a good time to use previous stories but not if they've already been used too many times. Disney says how the story is told matters a ton. The same could be said for 'without a good story, it will be impossible to tell it well'.

Just read books kids!

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 20:38:40 Reply

I saw Avatar in 3D, and it was quite awesome. It's extremely popular right now, so the whole subculture of what the cool thing to do is going to be bash it.

It's a 3D movie with blue people, if you went to expecting anything else than explosions and cool visuals, well I don't know what to tell you.

I don't see why people are bashing the story though to be honest. It's a simple one, yes, but it's enough to move it forward.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 20:43:50 Reply

At 1/16/10 08:38 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I don't see why people are bashing the story though to be honest. It's a simple one, yes, but it's enough to move it forward.

Simple+Original is great. Simple+Cliche is not. Avatar is the later unfortunately.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 20:47:11 Reply

At 1/16/10 08:43 PM, 23450 wrote:
At 1/16/10 08:38 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I don't see why people are bashing the story though to be honest. It's a simple one, yes, but it's enough to move it forward.
Simple+Original is great. Simple+Cliche is not. Avatar is the later unfortunately.

Cliche is just a dirty word for archetype. I've seen enough movies to realize it obviously was taking cues from other things and common story elements, but this is also something science fiction tends to do. If you're throwing the viewer in to a completely new world with new visuals, they need familiarity as a bracing point for things to relate to.

For example, I loved Distrinct 9, but it's basically a glorified The Fly with a political backdrop.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 21:55:01 Reply

At 1/16/10 06:06 PM, doctormario wrote: Let's not for get this one...

Once upon a time, this nobody kid gets thrust into an epic battle between the forces of good and evil, and manages to save the day, against all odds.

Yeah... that works for just about every Star Wars movie, War Games, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Last Starfighter, Dune, blah blah blah...

. . . . . >___>

Exile?

bhaahahaha :P

Except i got shit all epic and planned.. i'll make sure its less cliched lol. Luke won't save the day...he'll just die when worse comes to worse.. just like that XD

. . . or not >_> whatever..

Cliche'd storys:

How about the typical group of teenagers go somewhere they were strictly told was haunted (or evil, or whatever), but go anyways, and all end up dying except for one :P

Johnny
Johnny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 22:00:44 Reply

The problem is the fact that it will probably be up for Best Movie, come time for the Oscars.

I went there for the 3D, the blue people and the awesome CGI and I was pleased with that.

Then came the OMG ITS THE MOST EPIC BEST STORY EVER!!!!111 From everyone I've talked too... I try to explain to them why it's not, and then I'm the idiot.

I don't like that.

Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 22:17:56 Reply

At 1/16/10 10:00 PM, Johnny wrote:
The problem is the fact that it will probably be up for Best Movie, come time for the Oscars.

I went there for the 3D, the blue people and the awesome CGI and I was pleased with that.

Then came the OMG ITS THE MOST EPIC BEST STORY EVER!!!!111 From everyone I've talked too... I try to explain to them why it's not, and then I'm the idiot.

I don't like that.

I agree 100% with you there. I'm not surprised it's UP for the best picture, but I don't think it'd ever win it. Perhaps it will take some visual effects awards, but then again, District 9 may give it a run for that. That would be kind of funny, a massive budget movie being defeated by one with a much smaller one. Also, I think this year, and I could be wrong, but I think because of some rule change there are 10 slots now for every category? If that's the case, you can sort of see why it'd be a contender. I'm very curious about Best Picture this year, there's so many ways it can go. I'm kind of rooting for Inglorious Basterds, but to be honest I haven't seen some of the other nominees like Precious and Up in the Air. The Academy is so damn hard to predict sometimes.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-01-16 22:24:18 Reply

Movies of the year

Oh GOD twilight OF COURSE
LOL FAIL JK DONT ATTACK ME!!!

UP was definitely a phenominal movie, Kevin and Doug were just sooooo funny <3 Pixar just doesn't disappoint ... EVER

District 9 well its already been brought up, this movie was epic...

For a comedy, The Hangover was pretty funny i thought, and did really well!

Star Trek was suprisingly good too...

but not mall cop. God help us all if mall cop wins anything....

I also really liked watchmen! but i have to stop listing movies now..