Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,582,478 Views
  • 64,281 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
turtleco
turtleco
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 03:17 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 02:23 PM, Johnny wrote: *sigh* I've resorted to browsing with my Wacom Stylus to alleviate carpal tunnel symptoms when working for long periods of time...

Anyone else have any suggestions? Seat higher/lower? Them gel pad things... more masturbation with the right hand to strengthen it? Anything?

sit in a really comfortable chair with arm rests. I sit in one of those huge ones. here's a picture

also try sitting as comfortably and relaxed as possible. Really helps.


BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 03:27 PM Reply

I just have one of those cheap ass up and down $10.00 wal-mart chairs w/o arm rests.

I'm constrained for space, but think I'm going to have to do something about it. I'd go get myself a nice Italian Leather Massage office chair. mmmmm. I wouldn't have any problems dropping the $1000.00 on it, but I don't think the girlfriend would think that's an appropriate move while trying to save for a house. (Really though, what's a thousand dollars when we need to save 30k or so, right??)

Lulu... I finally kicked smoking 2 year ago (after a 12 year stint or so) and really, really, really (did I mention really) do miss those smoke breaks.


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 04:44 PM Reply

just curious wasim, how many accounts do you have?

Please write it in scientific notation if it doesn't fit in one bbs post

Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:44 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: just curious wasim, how many accounts do you have?

Please write it in scientific notation if it doesn't fit in one bbs post

A google.


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 04:59 PM Reply

So logically 1/0*0 = 1 because the /0 and the *0 cancel each other out.
Mathematically though, anything *0 is equal to 0.

So do logic and mathematics differ or are they the same thing?


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Member since: May. 5, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 05:08 PM Reply

i have a lounger. it's very comfortable.


Sig made by me
Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor
Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Member since: May. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:44 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: just curious wasim, how many accounts do you have?

Please write it in scientific notation if it doesn't fit in one bbs post

6.02 x 10^23

moles ftw

BBS Signature
Resolution
Resolution
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 02:23 PM, Johnny wrote: *sigh* I've resorted to browsing with my Wacom Stylus to alleviate carpal tunnel symptoms when working for long periods of time...

Anyone else have any suggestions? Seat higher/lower? Them gel pad things... more masturbation with the right hand to strengthen it? Anything?

I've found a mouse pad with a small gel wrist rest has really helped me. My wrist got really quite bad about 6months ago, but after buying that pad, just having the little gel lump to support my wrist it got back to normal in a couple of weeks :)


_Resolution`·.¸¸.·´¯`·._.·` | Send me a message | View my blog |

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:44 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: just curious wasim, how many accounts do you have?

Please write it in scientific notation if it doesn't fit in one bbs post

Wasim has enough to be funny.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:59 PM, Deadclever23 wrote: So logically 1/0*0 = 1 because the /0 and the *0 cancel each other out.
Mathematically though, anything *0 is equal to 0.

So do logic and mathematics differ or are they the same thing?

Logic is a part of mathematics.

If you have 2 rules which conflict at a point, part of math describes what happens at that point.

I.e. N^0 is defined to be 1

0! is also defined to be 1

The only logical reasoning behind why those are defined that way is because it simplifies other things.
since N/0 is undefined, it behaves differently than other numbers.

JordanD
JordanD
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:53 PM, Johnny wrote:
At 12/21/09 04:44 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: just curious wasim, how many accounts do you have?

Please write it in scientific notation if it doesn't fit in one bbs post
A google.

Funny story, a number with a hundred zeroes is actually spelt "Googol" not "Google"

And when the developers of the search engine Google went to copyright the name, they didn't actually look in a dictionary of how to SPELL Googol, so they called it "Google" and later on realized it, probably said "oh fuck...lmao oh well"

and thats how google got its name :)

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 06:15 PM, Duchednier wrote: and thats how google got its name :)

cool story bro

Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 06:19 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 12/21/09 06:15 PM, Duchednier wrote: and thats how google got its name :)
cool story bro

I made a shirt with this one it and wear it to work at least once a week.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:59 PM, Deadclever23 wrote: So logically 1/0*0 = 1 because the /0 and the *0 cancel each other out.

No.

Mathematically though, anything *0 is equal to 0.

No.

Unless you deal with projective geometry or another special case, 1/0 isn't defined on R and is therefore an undetermined form that limits the meaningfulness of your results. For example, rules of equivalence don't apply with divisions and multiplication of 0 (a*0=b*0 and a/0=b/0 doesn't imply a=b). It's pretty safe to say that 1/0 is in some sense equivalent to infinity, but so is any integer divided by 0. So if you say 1/0 = 2/0, and 1/0*0 = 1, then 2/0*0 = 1 too. And therefore 1=2.

I was gonna make an analogy on how e^ln 0 isn't equal to 0 just like 1/0*0 isn't equal to 1 because e^ln don't cancel each other out like /0*0 since ln 0 is undefined. But apparently according to google, ln 0 isn't defined but e^ln 0 is 0. Go figure. It might just be because of complex logarithms though, because google takes negative values in logarithms too.


BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:32 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 06:29 PM, Toast wrote: Crazy math stuff.

Gonna be honest Toast... I never have any idea what you're saying. You could be making shit up, and I'd have no idea.


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
turtleco
turtleco
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 03:20 PM, fuckyouwasim wrote: yeah having a comfortable chair is good,,, although i dont have a good 1 myself
this is how my chair looks like kinda i wish i had teh money to get a new chair

luckily, (and the opposite) both my parents lost their jobs, and got the super awesome chairs as going away present.


BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Arent I a retard. I was coding a platform in As3, trying to get used to it. It was crashing when the player hit the level, so obviously something wrong with my hitTest function, and was checking it for like 10 minutes until realised I had used _y instead of just y.

What a fucking prick ;D

also Russell Howard is a beast
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 07:10 PM Reply

I've optimized my 30 MB game down to 12 MB. So close...
I don't got permission to submit larger then 10 MB from Tom too yet - probably digging threw emails.

Ya can't optimize an optimized flash can you? I just gotta take it down 2 more MBs.


www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 07:10 PM, TheCriminalDuder wrote: I've optimized my 30 MB game down to 12 MB. So close...
I don't got permission to submit larger then 10 MB from Tom too yet - probably digging threw emails.

Ya can't optimize an optimized flash can you? I just gotta take it down 2 more MBs.

your limit should be raised now


None

Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 04:59 PM, Deadclever23 wrote: So logically 1/0*0 = 1 because the /0 and the *0 cancel each other out.

In the realm of non-real maths, anything that "logically" makes sense can sort of happen! Hurrah!
Although keep in mind that you can't say 1/0 equals 2/0 (because they don't). However, you can say that 2/0 = 2*(1/0) if you're choosing to define 1/0 as something.

Mathematically though, anything *0 is equal to 0.

In the real world, yes. But crazy things can happen when dealing with things which don't 'exist'!
For example, there is a mathematical rule that the (square root of one number) multiplied by (the square root of another number) is the square root of (both numbers multiplied together).
But when dealing with the imaginary [positive] square root of -1, i, this rule simply isn't true!
Remember that the rules you've learnt through schooling are true for the numbers you learned them with, but you can't say that the rule is true for everything until you've proven it free of logical inconsistencies with those numbers (and of course, the point you made in your post Deadclever was that there is a logical inconsistency with the non-real number 1/0 and the rule that multiplying by 0 always equals 0).

I've oversimplified and almost made a farce of mathematics, but it's vaguely easier to understand than Toast's complicated (yet beautiful) explanation.


Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

doctormario
doctormario
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 07:51 PM Reply

Johann Loschmidt was a smart cookie...and he had help. :)


BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Overshooting

So for my final film project for a class called 'Expression in Time and Motion', I did this film/animation hybrid. It took me like a week or so just to learn how to use After Effects and render out in the correct codecs for the film footage and layer composition. Then I got everything together with the sound and got all the effects and title/credits sequences done. I saved most of the animation till last just to make it choppy if I needed to, to finish it on time.

Looks like I'll be doing that because once again, I think of outrageous ideas that take way too long to do.

I'm trying to figure out how to more effectively estimate how long it takes to do things, but it seems like it always takes longer than I think it will, even while budgeting for a lot of extra time. Some things I do to personally up my own standards end up really good for what they are, but incomplete due to deadlines...


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 07:19 PM, Luis wrote:

your limit should be raised now

And the almighty mod Luis spoke onto thee that thy limit be increased.

And he spoke-eth the truth.

A few scary small things here and there created by the optimization, but ya still can see what I've made.


www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
HonterGames
HonterGames
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 09:20 PM, TheCriminalDuder wrote:
And the almighty mod Luis spoke onto thee that thy limit be increased.

And he spoke-eth the truth.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/52 1992
A few scary small things here and there created by the optimization, but ya still can see what I've made.

Hey ur preloader is screwed and it doesnt seem to be loading for me, might just be me though. But yeah ur preloader is screwed either way hahaha. Loading bar's mask doesnt seem to work


BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 09:20 PM, TheCriminalDuder wrote: A few scary small things here and there created by the optimization, but ya still can see what I've made.

Tell me the semi broken preloader isn't part of that D:


School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:36 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 06:29 PM, Toast wrote: I was gonna make an analogy on how e^ln 0 isn't equal to 0 just like 1/0*0 isn't equal to 1 because e^ln don't cancel each other out like /0*0 since ln 0 is undefined.

ln(0) tends to negative infinity

e^(-inf) tends to 0

makes perfect sense to me why they would cancel

TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:41 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 09:35 PM, zrb wrote:
At 12/21/09 09:20 PM, TheCriminalDuder wrote: A few scary small things here and there created by the optimization, but ya still can see what I've made.
Tell me the semi broken preloader isn't part of that D:

I noticed the broken bar.
Dont care though the loader does work.

To fix it right now I'd have to go into the fla file figure out whats wrong, fix it, then export it as the 30 MB swf, then opt it down to a 12 MB swf and this entire thing will take up nearly half an hour most likely.

But ya I'll get to it I just want to chill for a moment - play ten or so minutes of fallout 3.

Ah fuck it I'll fix it now.


www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Fixed it. Works before its optimized. If it doesnt turn into the fixed version soon then I'm guessin' my optimizer kills masks.


www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 11:06 PM Reply

AS3 Questions:

1) Would a game written entirely in separate .as files have a higher performance than one written in as3 but solely in the .fla? If so by a lot or just a bit ?

2)Would using only 1 frame in your .fla and clearing the screen and putting new graphics be dumb as opposed to having separate frames and have your game just go to the different frames ?
(all codes written in external files)


School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 21st, 2009 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 12/21/09 11:06 PM, zrb wrote:
1) Would a game written entirely in separate .as files have a higher performance than one written in as3 but solely in the .fla? If so by a lot or just a bit ?

It would eliminate all of the fluff that the main timeline adds (such as auto-importing all built in classes) As far as the amount of performance gain, I would say that unless it's something that is already incredibly intensive, you'd never notice a difference. I think the only code I've been using on the main time line lately is something to initialize my main class. 2-3 lines generally.

2)Would using only 1 frame in your .fla and clearing the screen and putting new graphics be dumb as opposed to having separate frames and have your game just go to the different frames ?
(all codes written in external files)

Depends. If all of those instances have code attached to them, the code doesn't go away just because the playhead reached a new keyframe. Apparently, it's how Flash compiles things.


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature