Be a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

  • 1,699,020 Views
  • 63,660 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 13:37:14 Reply

l4d2 demo finally coming tonight? I had the game fully preloaded so I could play it as soon as it goes live, and sure enough now it's "pre-loading" it again except it's at 33% and it takes like 5 minutes for 1% at 800kBps. I'm gonna buy the necessary resources incase it is released tonight. let's get at least 4 people from newgrounds so we can have one NG team.

sorry about all this l4d spam for those of you who aren't interested in gaming. it will end tomorrow after we all post about how incredibly awesome the game is (probably)


BBS Signature
Doomsday-One
Doomsday-One
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 13:54:55 Reply

At 10/28/09 12:40 PM, liaaaam wrote: I know all of the stuff that is different in the sequel but in my opinion L4D wasn't even a full game to begin with, and this is just an improvement on that :/ The only thing (literally) that piques my interest about L4D2 is the melee weapons. I'm not paying £25 for something I don't think is worth it. I picked up L4D for about £17 and even that is overpriced in my opinion for what little there was in it.

L4D is a fun game, but is somewhat lacking, especially when compared to Valve's much 'richer' multiplayer title Team Fortress 2. Someone's telling me as I write this about all of the new things in Left 4 Dead 2 (Riot Officer infected, new items and things), and they sound really interesting - but I can't help but shake the feeling that these aren't actually brilliant extensions of the first game, but rather mechanics that should have been there to begin with.
I don't know, there's just this feeling of slight disappointment when I think of Left 4 Dead. Overhype, probably.

At 10/28/09 12:46 PM, Saza wrote: Has anyone played Splosion Man for XBA yet? Such an amazing game.

I played the demo, and I had so much fun. It's high on my list of "games to buy"; probably below Braid though.

Recently I discovered that, following recent findings such as "my girlfriend loves Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games" (she's not usually a big fan of logic), my girlfriend also likes role-playing games. She played through the entirety of Fable 2 (the henchman system meant that I could play at the same time) and, despite getting dreadfully scared by most of the enemies, she quite enjoyed it.
I recently let her try Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, which is a much darker title, and she was scared half to death. It didn't help that we also discovered that she can't deal with a manual camera (neither first or third person), and so most of the time was left unable to see or attack enemies, which certainly contributed to the whole fear thing.
Still, very funny to watch your girlfriend screaming and tapping random buttons at the sight of a giant rat.


Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 13:59:02 Reply

At 10/28/09 01:46 PM, citricsquid wrote: I have a L4D2 Demo server live, London. If anyone wants to join in, sure thing! Just got to wait 2 hours and 16 mins! The demo is pretty good apparently, the new infected etc. are great.

Regarding the L4D/L4D2 situation, I disagree entirely. Sure, L4D could have been better but it was most definitely a full game. I played well over 100 hours of it and I base value on enjoyment, price and time had from it. I paid £25 for L4D, if I can get 25 hours for £25 that's a brilliant deal, there are a huge amount of shit games right now that cost >£30 and play for about 3 hours, Call of duty 4/5 being perfect examples.

A company has to make money, they can't spend an entire year building a brand new game only to release it as free downloadable content because a small group of whiney gamers can't handle a couple of extra £. The entire L4D2 boycott was ridiculous and I'm glad the people who ran it realised it and ended it.

First of all, LOL you think COD4 only has 3 hours of gameplay. I'm guessing you havn't played it.

I'm by no means boycotting L4D2, but I must just point out a few things which have really pissed me off about L4D. First of all, PC users get it cheaper and get all DLC for free. This to me is utter bullshit. Console users have to pay all the bills and PC users get a free ride, I don't see how that's fair in the slightest. I'm of course reffering to this Crash Course DLC, which is very shit, but costs Xbox users a few quid. Bullshit.

I'd also like to point out that due to PC users hacking the game, a lot of dev time is spent fixing things which only affect the PC version, and yet they still pay less...

L4D2, as far as I can see, is a major inprovement on the first, so it's by no means not worth the cash, the problem I have with it is the fact that PC users will continue to freeload off Xbox users. Bottom line is, it makes me angry when we have to pay for the DLC and PC users get it free, and if I buy L4D2 then I'm going to feel that anger again whether I like it or not, and believe it or not, I don't like being angry.

So that's the only reason I'd think twice before buying it


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:09:53 Reply

Ok I'll try not to get into the debate of PC vs Console (which just boils down to confort + stability vs visuals and accuracy) so I'll ignore those comments.

Valve must care about consoles since it's where the majority of their L4D profit is coming from. Bottom line is Xbox users ARE paying for this thing to be made, if the game wasn't on the consoles it wouldn't be as popular and L4D2 probably wouldn't have been made so fast or maybe not at all.


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:23:43 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:17 PM, citricsquid wrote: The xbox section has 18,000 posts in total, the PC section has 890,000. I'd love to see you explain how that works.

PC gamers are on computers. Forums are on computers.
Console gamers are on consoles. Forums can be on consoles but no-one really goes on forums on their console.

Average laziness of gamers > Effort to walk to computer, log on to forum and ask "Haii guyz, let's kill zombehs!!!".


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:36:08 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:29 PM, citricsquid wrote:
My brother is an xbox 360 user,

Nice.

he plays on his xbox 360.

Nice

He doesn't play on his PC,

Shame.

he plays on his xbox 360.

Nice

Okay, got that, he's an Xbox 360 player.

Really?

Now what does he do when he wants to discuss the games that he plays?

Cry because he's just so alone?

He goes onto his computer and uses forums for those games.

Good substitute for human contact.

Are you trying to imply that someone who plays xbox 360 games never uses the internet for forums?

No.

That's a stupid argument, I quite clearly see Liam who is posting here plays xbox 360 and uh, this is a forum, isn't it?

Can't prove it is.

Anyway the thing is I'm just saying if you're on a computer the forums are right in front of you, on a console you think "Well I'm playing now, I'll do it later."


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:44:41 Reply

At 10/28/09 01:46 PM, citricsquid wrote: Regarding the L4D/L4D2 situation, I disagree entirely. Sure, L4D could have been better but it was most definitely a full game. I played well over 100 hours of it and I base value on enjoyment, price and time had from it. I paid £25 for L4D, if I can get 25 hours for £25 that's a brilliant deal, there are a huge amount of shit games right now that cost >£30 and play for about 3 hours, Call of duty 4/5 being perfect examples.

I played WoW over 200 days, true story. (and 200 days means 4800 hours, not 200 days since i started). Usually I don't bother buying those games that cost 60 euros and play for 3 hours. Crysis is a perfect example of that. I finished Crysis warhead in about 2 hours and a half if i remember correctly, good thing I just bought Warhead and not the other one. I usually just torrent those kind of games.

I'm curious about console players, what makes it more enjoyable than PC? I'm perfectly comfortable here on my PC chair and I've been using keyboads ever since I played the original Rayman at 5 years of age. Also it's not like the game would look much better on a TV, I'm quite happy with my 22" LCD. Anything bigger would just


BBS Signature
Depredation
Depredation
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:45:02 Reply

This argument will last 4,000,000,000,000,000 pages so just stop now.

I tend to get racing games for the console, as joysticks have different levels of pressure which you use to steer, but i prefer the accuracy of 3000dpi on the pc for fpss.

Gaming controversy

Anyone seen the new footage of call of duty modern warfare 2? One of the levels is you basically massacring civilians in an airport, i'm guessing as part of a terrorist organization. Now i personally think that's fine, the whole thing looks very grim and isn't glorified or cleaned in anyway. And if you are the type of person that imitates whatever you see then it is your mental status that should be questioned.

Movies and books have always had examples where the reader is put in the bad guys body, i think it's about time that the same was done for games.


BBS Signature
GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:52:13 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:45 PM, Depredation wrote: Movies and books have always had examples where the reader is put in the bad guys body, i think it's about time that the same was done for games.

Really? It's been ten years since GTA.


BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:52:21 Reply

Fucking hell I've struck a nerve. Fine you're right, people spend more time / money playing PC games


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 14:58:02 Reply

Like I said, I don't want to argue because you're getting close to insulting my intelligence, so let's just agree to disagree.


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Depredation
Depredation
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 15:03:25 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:52 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: Really? It's been ten years since GTA.

If you see the footage it's not the same as gta, it's not light hearted and comical. Some games have had this sort of thing before, but this seems more visceral than previously.


BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 15:06:15 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:59 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 10/28/09 02:58 PM, Rustygames wrote: Like I said, I don't want to argue because you're getting close to insulting my intelligence, so let's just agree to disagree.
but you're wrong.

What a mature way of arguing.

I think now I should say "No your wrong, and you smell".


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
liam
liam
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 15:06:41 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:17 PM, citricsquid wrote: Their game counter strike source has 80,817 players IN GAME right now, if xbox was where their profit came from why didn't they port that over?

They did, ages ago. Counter Strike isn't a console game - the only game play element is multiplayer and even that isn't anything special. It was released (on console) at a time when multiplayer wasn't huge, so it didn't do very well. I think that was on original Xbox.

The steam forums, which are also the valve forums, have a section for the game on xbox and a section for the game on PC. The xbox section has 18,000 posts in total, the PC section has 890,000. I'd love to see you explain how that works.

Well, see, PC gamers are using a PC.. console gamers are using a console. The 360 doesn't even have a web browser so there is absolutely no way or reason for Xbox owners to go onto the L4D forums without having to go to their PC, in which case they might as well buy the superior (and better supported) PC version.

At 10/28/09 01:46 PM, citricsquid wrote: Call of duty 4/5 being perfect examples.

Call of Duty 4 wasn't long but it was definitely over 3 hours - about 7, maybe 5 on the second play through. The online was the killer for both those games (though I'm not a fan of CoD5). I've spent over 20 days on Call of Duty 4, that's game time so about 500 hours. I totally respect your opinion on L4D, I just wasn't a fan of the style of the game.. the gameplay gets boring mid-campaign for me, though I do enjoy Versus I just wish there was more to it.. some reason to play. I never play now, only ever really did with friends (I've probably also spent about 50-100 hours also in that respect) but even then I was just playing it because my friends were. I always saw it's flaws (the uninteresting campaigns, the shit weapons, etc).


Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 15:21:58 Reply

At 10/28/09 03:15 PM, citricsquid wrote: Please explain how it's immature. He presented his side of the argument, I countered it with my disagreement and explained what I meant, he countered, I countered he then said "let's just agree to disagree". That's the biggest cop-out for an argument, ever, if you can't or aren't willing to argue your side or admit you're wrong, what's the point? if I go into an argument I expect to either: be right and persuade the other person I am, or be wrong and be persuaded I am wrong. I don't expect the other person to go "actually, I'm probably wrong, but I won't bother arguing so let's just agree that we have a different opinion!". We're arguing fact, we both can't be right.

Because you can't just say someone's wrong without any evidence. You've provided evidence but with this statement you've provided no new evidence. Evidence strengthens this statements point, without it you seem like an illogical douchebag.


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
turtleco
turtleco
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 16:16:03 Reply

all this talk about PCs and Xbox 360s. I feel way out of this time. I'm excited to finally get a PS2 and my personal computer is a 95 DOS.


BBS Signature
Depredation
Depredation
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 16:20:10 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:16 PM, turtleco wrote: all this talk about PCs and Xbox 360s. I feel way out of this time. I'm excited to finally get a PS2 and my personal computer is a 95 DOS.

Are you from bladerunner or something. I'm stuck with a rock and some flint.


BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 16:22:48 Reply

At 10/28/09 03:30 PM, citricsquid wrote:
apparently you're too incapable of using the internet properly, so I'll link you to the information just so you can check yourself. here you go.

They sold roughly 25% on Xbox that's a huge amount of the sales. The Xbox is a key selling point.


"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 16:34:23 Reply

L4D2 argument

tldr

- Chips? Check
- Pizza? Check
- sprite? Check
- 7up? Check
- Ice cubes? Check
- cookies? Check :D

I am ready for the zombie apocalypse.


BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 17:17:53 Reply

I thought we all agreed to stop arguing before this turns into name calling, which it now has, so let's stop arguing before people start wetting the bed


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Depredation
Depredation
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 17:25:35 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:34 PM, Toast wrote: - Chips? Check
- Pizza? Check
- sprite? Check
- 7up? Check
- Ice cubes? Check
- cookies? Check :D

-Massive delays? Check.


BBS Signature
Deadclever23
Deadclever23
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 17:46:32 Reply

At 10/28/09 05:17 PM, Rustygames wrote: I thought we all agreed to stop arguing before this turns into name calling, which it now has, so let's stop arguing before people start wetting the bed

Mr goody 2 shoes.

BURN!!!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 18:00:18 Reply

Me and my friend devised a funny comeback to the infamous "Your mum". We used to get all the chavs round here saying it so our new comeback (or old, used if for ages now) is simply:

Your mum's dead.

Oh how wonderful.
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 19:03:58 Reply

At 10/28/09 06:00 PM, Saza wrote: Me and my friend devised a funny comeback to the infamous "Your mum". We used to get all the chavs round here saying it so our new comeback (or old, used if for ages now) is simply:

Your mum's dead.

Oh how wonderful.

What do you do if their mum isn't dead?

PS: How's your mum? Can she sit down yet?


- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 19:10:35 Reply

At 10/28/09 07:03 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 10/28/09 06:00 PM, Saza wrote: Me and my friend devised a funny comeback to the infamous "Your mum". We used to get all the chavs round here saying it so our new comeback (or old, used if for ages now) is simply:

Your mum's dead.

Oh how wonderful.
What do you do if their mum isn't dead?

PS: How's your mum? Can she sit down yet?

You then say, she is, we just got back from your house.

She can, your 3 inch must of done her good ;)

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 19:17:10 Reply

At 10/28/09 04:34 PM, Toast wrote:
L4D2 argument
tldr

- Chips? Check
- Pizza? Check
- sprite? Check
- 7up? Check
- Ice cubes? Check
- cookies? Check :D

I am ready for the zombie apocalypse.

7up AND sprite?


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Johnny
Johnny
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 19:41:49 Reply

Left 4 Dead

Was excited as hell about it for months to play CoOp with my GF and some friends.
Left work the day it came out, bought it. Went home, started playing.
Played single player for an hour.
Played CoOp for 5-6 hours.
Put the game down, and never picked it up again.

What am I missing? Why is it winning awards and people are playing the hell out of it? I didn't even think it was an 'alright' game, let alone a great one. I didn't think it was a fun CoOp experience. I didn't find the monsters interesting. I hated the controls. Hated the gameplay. Hated the graphics. Was never 'on the edge of my seat,' or excited...

Someone enlighten me. Please. It's still sitting there and every once in awhile we look at it, think about maybe giving it another try, and then move onto something else.

CoD MW 2 Controversy

If it's grim and that grisly, yeah that's pretty new to video games and I'm pretty excited to massacre some civilians. Not comically either. Like, I want feel what that would be like to gun down innocent families and not go to jail for it.

Not because I'm morbid, but because I'm curious and enjoy new feelings and experiences.


Perpetually looking for time to return to the arts.

BBS Signature
Jimp
Jimp
  • Member since: Aug. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 20:15:41 Reply

Glad im not the only one anticipating MW2! I havent had a tv for the last 3 months, so no PS3 for me :( Finally ordered a shiny Samsung 37", which is coming tomorrow. November 11th cant come fast enough!

Have there been any good playstation store or demo releases recently? I need something to tide me over :)


BBS Signature
trig1
trig1
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 20:52:18 Reply

L4D2

When's the demo coming out for us non-preordering peasents? I can't see anything to do with it on steam.

BONUS FACT: the british cover act's hand is facing the other way to avoid the 'V' sign, and it looks silly.
At 10/28/09 06:00 PM, Saza wrote: Me and my friend devised a funny comeback to the infamous "Your mum". We used to get all the chavs round here saying it so our new comeback (or old, used if for ages now) is simply:

Your mum's dead.

Oh how wonderful.

I've had to cut down on 'your mum's, as I found out the other day that one of my friend's mum actually is dead. Fun times.

COD4:2 Airport Level

Just watched it (link), and it's kinda surprizing. That level would be weird playing it. I almost couldn't kill companion cube, let alone that. I know it's fake and just pixels and the rational part of my brain is fine with it, but it's weird. I could mow down grandmas in GTA all day but this is a new level of game-induced guilt.

I wish I was joking about companion cube.
</longpost>
Sam
Sam
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-10-28 20:58:27 Reply

At 10/28/09 08:52 PM, trig1 wrote: I've had to cut down on 'your mum's, as I found out the other day that one of my friend's mum actually is dead. Fun times.

Oh man, how guilty did you feel after that :O